What frightens you most here in Thailand

Phronesis

I dislike taxi drivers too. I don't trust them anywhere in the world but the ones in BKK seem to be extra prone to violence over nothing and don't like it when you're clued up enough to work out when they are ripping you off or pulling a scam.

I had a great taxi driver from Don Muang last night. Before we'd set off there was some discussion with another driver, swapping fares to fit in with their journey home, but I think I got the better of the deal.

Clean, newish car, seat belts. He drove sensibly, eschewing the tollway as the traffic below was OK at that time of night, and he took probably precisely the shortest and certainly the quickest route through our suburb to my home. I forgot to remind him to put the meter on, I couldn't see it because unusually, it was on the left hand side so the headrest in front blocked my view. Anyway, by the time I'd remembered to check, it was on, and still less than 40 baht.

Taxi drivers don't frighten me at all. I do sometimes get a bit nervous with sleeping taxi drivers, and I try to avoid provoking fights with thugs and criminals, though.

SC

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over possessive and crazy women who become too attached is another one. I don't meet women like this too often but when I do it makes me worry a little just what they are going to do next.

Amen to that

I am more concerned about the absence of over possessive and crazy women in my life....

I would absolutely loath having a female companion that was sedate and predictable...I could easily obtain that by going back home to Australia and dating women my age...

Over possessive and crazy women who become too attached is another one. I don't meet women like this too often but when I do it makes me worry a little just what they are going to do next.

Amen to that

I am more concerned about the absence of over possessive and crazy women in my life....

I would absolutely loath having a female companion that was sedate and predictable...I could easily obtain that by going back home to Australia and dating women my age...

Careful what you wish for.

Nothing worse than a woman threatening to slash her wrists in your apartment or to jump off your balcony after you've tried to call it a day.

Major drama - lakhorn-style - that I doubt you'd want in your life

I live in fear everyday that in the next morning when it is going to be time to hit the gym again..its going to be closed.

These thais have so many festivals, and they always seem to celebrate something..God bless them for that, its all fine but sometimes it interferes with the opening time of certain establishments, so it often leaves me praying: dont keep me away from the 45 plates.

...... frightens me most , that i will never be able to become a normal father for my children and see them grow up on a daily basis.

I'm not really trying to get personal, but why can't you be a "normal" father now? What does normal even mean in regards to fatherhood?

OK. Very long time lurker. Reluctant to add to the thread. Post number whatever ... single digit posts. I have to say I loved the poster who was scared by his own sexuality ... ''Oh my God, I'd be scared if I found out my girlfriend was a ladyboy ...'' or whatever.

Dude, if you're scared that your girlfriend is a ladyboy it's time to get over it and accept you're happy with what you're happy with. If you're happy, what do you have to complain about? Really? Some people are never happy. Or just get new girlfriend.

After 10 years here I'm not going to moan about street food like some really very long-term expats do (see thread I can't be bothered to link to) but having spent all of my adult life living and working in central London I can honestly say that the only thing that frightens me about living in Thailand ,,,

... is dealing with the British embassy.