Education/Study Visa for learning Thai.

Two questions:

1. Is anyone aware of an approved school anywhere between Ayutthaya and Nakhon Sawan? ("approved" for the purpose of qualifying for the Ed Visa.)

2. Once obtained, is one allowed to leave the country for any period without cancelling the visa?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

I know that the authorities have clamped down on the system to eliminate abuse, but I am wondering if would be possible to enrol at a local school to attend Thai classes (given the willingness and genuine participation of the selected school, of course.) Provided one could demonstrate a marked improvement in Thai language skills, could it be done. Hmm ...

Edited by TechnikaIII

Are you asking if you can obtain an Ed visa and then dodge your undertaking to attended classes or am I misunderstanding ?

Certainly NOT dodge undertaking to attend. I already study privately, reading and writing some every day, and really want the lessons in a class situation. It's just that I know I will have to make a short trip to either Australia or Europe during the enrolled year. With the participating school can make up the lost lessons prior to the trips, and/or when I return.

There are two types of ED visa - one is for single entry only and the other is multi entry for a period of one year. They are not the same thing and one costs 2,000 baht and the other 5,000 baht at prevailing exchange rates - in most cases only a single entry is issued or required as a student would then extend there stay at immigration during study.

There are two types of ED visa - one is for single entry only and the other is multi entry for a period of one year. They are not the same thing and one costs 2,000 baht and the other 5,000 baht at prevailing exchange rates - in most cases only a single entry is issued or required as a student would then extend there stay at immigration during study.

That is good to know.

I will be switching to an ED visa in the new year but I don't want to be made to stay in Thailand for a full year.

I like to go home to Hong Kong at least every 3 months for a week or so of fun and to see family.

I don't mind paying the extra 3000 baht if that gives me multi entry on the visa.

You can always leave on extensions of stay by obtaining a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht. You may not be able to obtain a multi entry ED visa as normally Consulates only issue single these days so you will have to check with the Consulate you intend to use.

You can always leave on extensions of stay by obtaining a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht. You may not be able to obtain a multi entry ED visa as normally Consulates only issue single these days so you will have to check with the Consulate you intend to use.

Do you have any idea what the criteria might be for getting a multi entry?

I'm waiting for my passport to come back from Hull now, it left the UK a few days ago.

However, Hull have already emailed to tell me that they were only able to give me a single entry now as I don't have a work permit.

A single entry ED visa would still be fine as long as I can keep getting re-entry permits and it doesn't impact getting the next ED visa.

And before anyone asks, I do want to learn Thai and will be going to all my lessons. I just want the ability to see my family at least every 2-3 months.

"I'm waiting for my passport to come back from Hull now, it left the UK a few days ago. "

Does that mean you are currently in Thailand ?

No you can't do that. You have to exit Thailand so your passport is stamped out properly.

I'm a HK permanent resident, which means I can enter Hong Kong and Macau without using my passport.

Its the same as having 2 passports.

Edited by seancbk

So you are where exactly now ?

Hull only (or should only) provides visas to those CURRENTLY RESIDENT in the UK !

No wonder there is a world wide crackdown on Honorary Consulates if what you seem to be suggesting is true

Edited by jrtmedic