Canadian arrested in Patong for theft of B100,000 from Chiang Rai hotel

webfact

Canadian arrested in Patong for theft of B100,000 from Chiang Rai hotel
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1376882065_1.jpg

PHUKET: A Canadian hotel worker wanted on a charge of theft in Chiang Rai was arrested in Patong last night (August 18).

A warrant for David Peter Sundstrom, 39, formerly on the management team of a hotel in Thailand’s northernmost province, was issued in June after the owner of the hotel accused him of stealing B100,000.

The hotel owner discovered that Sundstrom had rented a room in Nanai Rd. Kathu police, accompanied by the owner, stopped Sundstrom as he rode a Honda CBR motorbike along the road at around 8pm.

He is currently being held in custody until arrangements can be made to send him back to Chiang Rai.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/canadian-arrested-in-patong-for-theft-of-b100-000-from-chiang-rai-hotel-41469.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-19

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadian arrested in Phuket after Facebook gives away his locale
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_Phuket_Police_arrested_Mr_Sun
Phuket Police arrested Mr Sundstrom after they recognized photos that he had posted on his Facebook page were taken in Patong. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- Police last night arrested a Canadian man wanted for allegedly stealing 100,000 baht in Chiang Rai after photos he posted on his Facebook page were recognized as having been taken in Patong.

Police arrested David Peter Sundstorm, 39, after they spotted him walking out of a restaurant on Nanai Road (map here) at about 8pm, explained Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Somsak Thongkliang.

Officers tracked down Mr Sundstrom after a 58-year-old British man named by police only as “Mr Anthony” presented an arrest warrant for the Canadian along with proof he had been staying in Phuket’s top party town.

“Chiang Rai Provincial Court issued a warrant for Mr Sundstrom’s arrest on June 5. The warrant was issued in relation to a complaint that Mr Sundstorm stole 100,000 baht from Mr Anthony about a year ago,” said Lt Col Somsak.

“Mr Anthony figured out that Mr Sundstorm was hiding in Patong, so he reported the case to us. We checked Mr Sundstorm’s Facebook page and saw he had posted several pictures of places in Patong,” he said.

Police believe Mr Sundstrom had been staying in Patong for about three months before being discovered.

“We established that he was staying at a restaurant-guesthouse near Soi Nanai 2, so we went there and waited for him,” Lt Col Somsak said.

Officers moved in and arrested Mr Sundstorm after they saw him exit the restaurant and mount a motorbike.

“The man confirmed that he was Mr Sundstorm, but denied that he stole any money,” Lt Col Somsak said.

“Regardless, we placed him under arrest and sent him to Chiang Rai City Police to face legal action there,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Canadian-arrested-in-Phuket-after-Facebook-gives-away-his-locale-22003.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-19

I dare say,having been hired as freelance hotel and restaurant adviser myself. i have been ripped off every time for the contracted amount, it could be the same here, so he felt he would get some back?, note to self, stay ripped off and never steal from a Thai....coffee1.gif

Apparently he stole from a Brit.

• Like 1

If it would not be such a drama fore the canadian, I would really laugh about that story, for some cents you are going to be treated like a mass murderer and they have a prey to piont at, " look at the bad foreigners they are stealing from us in our beloved country". In Europe the allegedly stolen amount would not have made it into the regional news even if the theft were a Katoy!sad.pngblink.pngcoffee1.gif Hopefully he gets a good lawyer. The problem over here is getting worse as a foreigner, if someone do not like you he just need to file a complaint at the police and you are the looser and I can see several cases now!

The complaint and arrest was requested by a UK national, not a Thai

I would think the alleged victim would have paid a few baht for this police response.

What do you base that on?

It's well known that if you want the police here to actually do their job, you have to make it worth their while.

The victim seemed to get a good police response, so, I am thinking he must have "rewarded" them quite well.

They will all have a lot of "tea" to drink now. :) :)

• Like 1

I would think the alleged victim would have paid a few baht for this police response.

Contrary to popular TVF beliefs, I've had a few cases where Thai police did their duty without any suggestion for money to change hands. The time that money changes hands is when they have to do something that's not above board.

Let the courts work it out. Good job bib.

• Like 2

Let me add something....

He never worked for a hotel, he was teaching English in Chiang Mai. His girlfriend was from Chiang Rai. There quite possibly is a connection there, wouldn't be surprised if he got angry at his girlfriend, took cash and went to Patong to blow it on the ladies.

Edited by bitterbatter

What do you base that on?

It's well known that if you want the police here to actually do their job, you have to make it worth their while.

The victim seemed to get a good police response, so, I am thinking he must have "rewarded" them quite well.

They will all have a lot of "tea" to drink now. smile.pngsmile.png

Again hiding behind others with 'it is well known'.

Not my expereince BTW, if you want something from the unofficial police, yes, you pay, but if you come to the police with real information they will act.

Guess what, I am not a fan of internet spying, and certainly not for the alleged theft of 100k baht.

So, if you were the victim, your morality wouldn't allow you to check the thief's facebook page in case he was stupid enough to give clues to his new location?

If it is read closely, then you know that it was Mr. Anthony who located Dave via facebook. It wouldn't take a hacker to figure out where he was.

There really is a load of thrash hoping over here. Probably desperate for money to buy his drugs and food.

It is no wonder why many expats are giving each other the invisible treatment these days

The problem is that these people are at rock bottom to begin with, and have nothing to lose. Getting caught is probably just an occupation hazard to these guys.

Best solution is to deport these people and get them as far away from us and Thailand as possible.

Wow! So based on a news article and a photo you have basically judged this guy as trash and a drug user? Assuming you are wrong?

I dare say,having been hired as freelance hotel and restaurant adviser myself. i have been ripped off every time for the contracted amount, it could be the same here, so he felt he would get some back?, note to self, stay ripped off and never steal from a Thai....coffee1.gif

Apparently he stole from a Brit.

Things like that don't matter to Thai basher's. Any how he said he was innocent. Who you going to believe a Canadian or a Brit?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

On another note I believe if you are dishonest here in Thailand do not post pictures or confessions on face book. We had a dum dum here in Chiang Mai posting about all the money he was making and he didn't have a work permit and also playing music at a night5 club where they asked for volunteer musicians. He got himself and a few others arrested. He was here on an overstay visa so they shipped him home. They do censor it some times or some upright type people turn you in.

• Like 1

Guess what, I am not a fan of internet spying, and certainly not for the alleged theft of 100k baht.

So, if you were the victim, your morality wouldn't allow you to check the thief's facebook page in case he was stupid enough to give clues to his new location?

If it is read closely, then you know that it was Mr. Anthony who located Dave via facebook. It wouldn't take a hacker to figure out where he was.

I wasn't aware that it took a hacker to read facebook.