Renewing A Uk passport via mail......a few questions

Hi, i need to renew my Uk passport via the postal method and have been told different procedures..

I have downloaded the C1 and dont have any difficulties in filling it in and the photo requirements.....But i have been told that i will NOT need to have the photo countersigned, is this true as i am only renewing an existing passport..

I have also been told that they wont accept a Thai credit card as payment.. i have the online Kasikorn visa credit card...or will they accept paypal..?

I have read the posts re the transfer of my existing retirement extension will require a letter from the UK embassy to immigration to allow the moving to the new passport....But one difference in my case is that my passport is not expiring just full up and has no room for my new extension , which is due in november....Therefore i can start my new extension in my new passport, But will immigration stamp my new passport with the original Non O that i was granted here for my first extension without a letter from the UK embassy....

Please advise me on the three questions asked above...kind regards

"But i have been told that i will NOT need to have the photo countersigned, is this true as i am only renewing an existing passport."

You will only need to have the 2 photos you submit with your application countersigned if your facial appearance has changed significantly (other than through normal ageing) when compared to the photo in your existing passport.

"I have also been told that they wont accept a Thai credit card as payment.. i have the online Kasikorn visa credit card"

AFAIK HK will, in fact, accept payment by a Thai Visa credit card as long as the card displays the Visa symbol.

"But will immigration stamp my new passport with the original Non O that i was granted here for my first extension without a letter from the UK embassy..."

They will not transfer your original visa from your old to new passport in any event.

I sent mine off to Hong Kong three weeks ago. I didn't have the photos countersigned not did I have that part of the form countersigned. Not saying that I got it right as I haven't heard anything since. They took the money from my Visa Card about two weeks ago and they have my e-mail address, so I am just hoping that No News is Good News.

Thank you for the prompt replies, i understand and accept the first two answers but i am still unsure of the issue regarding the original visa transfer ( not the new extension )..i thought i read somewhere on here that the red visa stamp on the new passport reqd a letter....am i wrong, and should i just give it a try when my new passport arrives...bearing in mind that i use korat immigragtion who cant even follow the correct money seasoning rules...thanks

I sent mine off to Hong Kong three weeks ago. I didn't have the photos countersigned not did I have that part of the form countersigned. Not saying that I got it right as I haven't heard anything since. They took the money from my Visa Card about two weeks ago and they have my e-mail address, so I am just hoping that No News is Good News.

If they've taken your money then no news is definitely good news.

Thank you for the prompt replies, i understand and accept the first two answers but i am still unsure of the issue regarding the original visa transfer ( not the new extension )..i thought i read somewhere on here that the red visa stamp on the new passport reqd a letter....am i wrong, and should i just give it a try when my new passport arrives...bearing in mind that i use korat immigragtion who cant even follow the correct money seasoning rules...thanks

Don't understand your ref to a red visa stamp on the new passport, I'm afraid. Are you, in fact, referring to your old passport? And doesn't a non-O visa issued by a Thai consulate take the form of a label stuck on a whole page in your passport, just as the O-A one I obtained from the London Embassy 5 years ago did? Certainly Maptaput Immigration didn't transfer this long-expired visa to my new passport as part of this process a few months ago, although, as ubonjoe has stated, they did insert a stamp containing info relating to this visa.

Strikes me that no news is no passport.

Good luck anyway.

If any UK citizen is planning a trip to the YUK it might be well worth getting a new passport during that trip.

If they've taken your money then no news is definitely good news.

Don't understand your ref to a red visa stamp on the new passport, I'm afraid. Are you, in fact, referring to your old passport? And doesn't a non-O visa issued by a Thai consulate take the form of a label stuck on a whole page in your passport, just as the O-A one I obtained from the London Embassy 5 years ago did? Certainly Maptaput Immigration didn't transfer this long-expired visa to my new passport as part of this process a few months ago, although, as ubonjoe has stated, they did insert a stamp containing info relating to this visa.

When i applied for my first extension in Thailand, they gave me a non-o first for 3 months issued in korat to allow seasoning of my money ...then granted me my 1 year extension at the end of that 3 month non-o......

What i am asking is,

does the 3 month non-o at the start of my extensions need to be transferred into my new passport to show that i have had my extensions of retirement based on that original non-o and if is a letter needed...

No----- visas are never transferred to a new passport. Only the extension/permit to stay is transferred.

The letter referred to is one issued by an embassy confirming a new passport has been issued.

So will i need this letter from Bangkok UK embassy to take to immigration, or can i ask for one when doing my postal passport renewal ....thanks

If required you will have to make a request to UK Embassy. You can try to use receipt for passport as that may be accepted. On trassfer a note of original visa entry in made in new passport but not a transfer.

Sent from my i-mobile i-note WIFI3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think most immigration offices will want the letter from embassy or at least a receipt.

The UK embassy needs to get this problem sorted out. For many people it can mean a trip to Bangkok for the letter. They should be able to do it by fax, email or EMS.

My embassy gave me a form letter with issue date written in the space for it with nothing more than the officers signature and a stamp. No name or anything else on it and immigration accepts them without a problem.

Edited by ubonjoe

not sure what a letter is needed for - just make sure you hang on to your old passport with the original non-O visa in it so you can show it when needed. My husband applied for a second retirement extension in his new passport with no problem, showing the old passport with visa in it.

• Like 1

Further to that: my new passport arrived this morning (just a few hours after writing the above post). It came by DHL Express and it is valid until May 2024. I haven't heard about any letter from one's embassy being required, so I'll go to my Immigration office in Mae Sai, which is very near my house and ask them. My renewal is not due to the end of next month, so I'll let you know what they say.

Simon

@#post 2

It's important that only 1 photo is countersigned, the other must remain blank.

Quote from UK passport renewal guidance notes:

'If your application needs to be countersigned, please

ask your counter signatory to certify only one of your

photographs.The second photograph must be left

blank.'

I do know of someone who made this mistake and he was requested to send another photo!

not sure what a letter is needed for - just make sure you hang on to your old passport with the original non-O visa in it so you can show it when needed. My husband applied for a second retirement extension in his new passport with no problem, showing the old passport with visa in it.

If you look at his new passport you will find a stamp on first visa page with info about his O visa entry. And on the next page his extensions of stays.

Old passport is no longer needed after the above stamp is done.

Further to that: my new passport arrived this morning (just a few hours after writing the above post). It came by DHL Express and it is valid until May 2024. I haven't heard about any letter from one's embassy being required, so I'll go to my Immigration office in Mae Sai, which is very near my house and ask them. My renewal is not due to the end of next month, so I'll let you know what they say.

Simon

There have many discussions about the letter on this forum.

At one time it was even one of the things on the documents required section of immigration website. But that section is no longer there.

Strikes me that no news is no passport.

Good luck anyway.

If any UK citizen is planning a trip to the YUK it might be well worth getting a new passport during that trip.

Well it did prove to be good news in my case at least a few months ago! EDIT: And I now see that it also proved good news for Sirius1935!

And renewing your passport during a trip to the UK is not necessarily advantageous in financial terms at least. Unless you're planning to stay at least 1 month and have a single UK mailing address throughout your visit, you'll have to use HMPO's Fast Track Service which will result in you paying way over the odds in any event..

You may also be liable to fun and games upon your arrival back at BKK when you present the IO with 2 passports!

Edited by OJAS

I think most immigration offices will want the letter from embassy or at least a receipt. The UK embassy needs to get this problem sorted out. For many people it can mean a trip to Bangkok for the letter. They should be able to do it by fax, email or EMS. My embassy gave me a form letter with issue date written in the space for it with nothing more than the officers signature and a stamp. No name or anything else on it and immigration accepts them without a problem.

rizla and Sirius1935: I suggest that you obtain the Embassy letter regardless of what your local immigration office may tell you beforehand, since some offices appear to have been sending out mixed messages on the need for one according to various threads I've read on here over the past year. As always, it seems to depend on not only the individual officers who advise you and subsequently process your stamp transfers but also the side of the bed each of them got out of on the morning in question!

And obtaining this letter may not necessarily mean a trip to Bangkok. The Embassy allowed me to request one a few months ago by email after I'd pleaded with them that a 200+ mile round trip from where I live would result in much inconvenience and expense for me.

The key word in your quoted text is "if". When you are renewing a passport and submitting the old one you do not need it countersigned

>

@#post 2

blank.'

I do know of someone who made this mistake and he was requested to send another photo!

I think most immigration offices will want the letter from embassy or at least a receipt. The UK embassy needs to get this problem sorted out. For many people it can mean a trip to Bangkok for the letter. They should be able to do it by fax, email or EMS. My embassy gave me a form letter with issue date written in the space for it with nothing more than the officers signature and a stamp. No name or anything else on it and immigration accepts them without a problem.

And obtaining this letter may not necessarily mean a trip to Bangkok. The Embassy allowed me to request one a few months ago by email after I'd pleaded with them that a 200+ mile round trip from where I live would result in much inconvenience and expense for me.
I recall reading your post about getting letter.

The problem is that it is not standard procedure. Perhaps a one off because you got the right person on the phone.

I recall reading your post about getting letter.

The problem is that it is not standard procedure. Perhaps a one off because you got the right person on the phone.

No harm in asking though IMHO: nothing ventured, nothing gained. And were the Embassy to be bombarded with similar requests, that might hopefully cause them to rethink their standard procedure!

The key word in your quoted text is "if". When you are renewing a passport and submitting the old one you do not need it countersigned

>

@#post 2

blank.'

You say the key word is 'if' but if you are applying from Thailand then it's highly advisable NOT to submit your old passport as it should be available for inspection by the Thai authorities at all times. This advice is also recommended by the UK Embassy.

Quote:

'Keep your existing passport for security and ID purposes - dont send it with your application.'

I have transferred my visa extension at least six times in the past 17 years to new passports at CW and never been asked for a letter from Embassy, and it is a free service

Edited by roiethome

Chiang Watanna has not been open for anything near 17 years.

Lop3, you are observant as always.

I always ask myself why Thailand don't host the World Cup Finals, in whatever sport, in the atrium at CW? It is huge enough for anything.

Hey, never mind Farnborough for Airshows, CW could hold a world Drone Show. Oops, it's that time of night..

More seriously, if you are visiting and need a new UK passport and able then pay for the fast track service at Petty France.

It's like an old duel. There are pubs serving seriously good Real Ales both 50 yards to the left and to the

right of the Passport Office where you can rest in comfort while waiting. Yes yards, not metres, as it's London and almost opposite New Scotland Yard.

Some Pattaya -based members might need to take that into account.

Otherwise get it done very efficiently by your nearest GPO Office... if they are still in business of course. wai2.gif