Bangkok convenience store refuses to help beaten and bloody technical school student

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that Thais do not do these things, I'm saying that it's not just a Thai thing. It's a human thing. Happens everywhere

I can try to scour the UK or oz news and this is not a daily occurrence, and the response is of a far more serious nature.

The murder rate in Thailand is massively higher than in the UK. And that is probably with Thailand only counting half. So, no it doesn't happen everywhere to the same degree.

The USA has what is called "the Good Samaritan Law". You cannot be held liable for giving assistance to an injured person. Doesn't mean that assistance is always forthcoming, but it does take away the fear of being blamed and held accountable for another's injuries. In Thailand, I have witnessed Thais rendering aid to an injured person immediately after the occurrence. Really depends on the person.

• Like 1

The thing is if you do not or cannot get physically involved in helping in a situation like this the least you can do is use your phone to call the medics for help (or even the police) depending on where you are and what the situation is.

• Like 1

The thing is if you do not or cannot get physically involved in helping in a situation like this the least you can do is use your phone to call the medics for help (or even the police) depending on where you are and what the situation is.

...if you are not busy, using the camera in your mobile to film the sh1t out of the situation, to put the result on youtube or your facebook- page, that is...

...of course you can only do that, if your mobile is not "occupied" with filming the sh1t out of the situation, to put the result up on youtube or your facebook- page...

I know the feeling son, I went flying over the handlebar of my bike at 80kph last night and bounced down the road in heavy traffic. Not a singular Thai stopped to help me.

TexasRanger pointed out on a thread I opened about it on the general forum that you can potentially get jailed for giving first aid.

What kind of brain damaged moronic thinking is that? It's disgraceful.

I have had two crashes in Bangkok on bikes, and both times Thais have been incredibly helpful - made sure I was OK, took the bike to the side of the road, and one couple stayed with me till the 'ambulance' arrived.

Good for you and for them too!

However, a single incident or exception do not make a rule.

The rule, alas, is as portrayed in the video of several guys beating on one and those close enough to help, do not. That, unfortunately, IS the rule,

Yeah there are a**holes in every country, that is all this shows.

I have been helped by Thais on many occasions, from a guy taking me on the back of his motorbikes cos he saw I was waiting too long for a taxi down the bottom of a long soi to a taxi driver going out of his way to help and putting a mountain bike in the back of his taxi when I had a puncture.

I think the rule is most Thais are decent people, and just like anywhere in the world there are idiots.

I know the feeling son, I went flying over the handlebar of my bike at 80kph last night and bounced down the road in heavy traffic. Not a singular Thai stopped to help me.

TexasRanger pointed out on a thread I opened about it on the general forum that you can potentially get jailed for giving first aid.

What kind of brain damaged moronic thinking is that? It's disgraceful.

Sorry to disagree but when I crashed my bike a truck driver used his truck to block on coming traffic and both him and his wife got out to help me. A Dr. arrived on thee scene asking me if I was ok and then insisted that I come to his small hospital a bit of emergency room care and some pain medication and I was on my way 330baht all in. You were probably asking for help in Scottish and they couldn't understand you speak American next time.

How are you feeling and get well soon, next time wear shoes.

Edited by moe666

Get involved in Thailand and you may become the victim I believe recent headlines says it all. Young Girl shot while trying to break up fight between bus drivers, Woman killed breaking up a fight, these are two I can remember off hand that have appeared in the newspapers. Go ahead get involved no crying later from the hospital.

Ok, lots of different views here. This happened to me several months ago. What would you have done. I live in nice Thai/farong mixed neighborhood off main road. I went to small Thai grocery store to grab a few beers at 5ish. Still daylight.

14ish kid w guessing 2-3 yr old little sister go roaring by on scooter. 100 meters down the road, for no apparent reason he dumps it hard onto left side. I can still hear the screams from the poor girl. I jumped on my scooter, ran up as I knew help was needed. Fricken at least 20 Thai drivers drove by asiIm holding this poor kid in my arms, working on getting her clear of scooter that is leaking gas onto what meat is left on her left leg and arm.

I laid her in the road and screamed for Someone to call an ambulance. For the record, I've lived here only two yrs but still have a heart. Especially for children.

Well meaning Thai that spoke English comes up and urgently kept telling me...... You must go, you must go. I was at first dumb struck and refused but he finally made it clear. He stated you good man but must go. When police come they will say you caused accident.

That got me moving in a hurry. Jumped on my scooter and scooted home. Still tears my heart out to think that's true but good friend and owner of bar reamed me out when I was slamming a few shots back to clear my head. He stated,what are you crazy, why did you go to help.......... My answer......because I'm a human being.

What would you do?

This behavior is related to city living and is a worldwide problem. It has been charted, analyzed and experimentally demonstrated numerous times. In one experiment a psych student with fake blood was on a busy sidewalk in New York during rush hour and laid there for three hours before someone stopped. The passerby who helped, ironically, was from a small town of a few million and was on vacation. Same crap in Tokyo, London, Montreal, Belfast and Paris. The same experiments in smaller towns showed very different results across the board internationally, and help was offered sometimes in minutes. Pretending this is a phenomena of Thai culture is shortsighted, incorrect, prejudicial and arrogant.

I have had three good Thai people just in the last in nine weeks go out of their way to help me, just because they wanted to help. I live in Kanchanaburi. Once I was stranded on the main road in the rain in front of Makro (the buses only stop at bus stops, some of which are kilometers apart), and a construction boss took me 8 kilometers to the nearest pickup. The second time I had a flat tire on the bike, and a Thai man in a truck helped me load it onto the bed, and took me five or so kilometers to a repair shop. And the shop did not rip me off. The third time I was sick and went to the Province hospital, where they do not speak English and my Thai is passing at best. A Thai woman who was bilingual Thai and English went from check in station to checkout to make sure I was taken care of -- and her daughter was giving birth!

In all three cases, the Thais refused any compensation whatsoever, and I returned to each later with some good tea and fruit.

Thailand and Thai culture is alive and well, as is good English culture, Japanese culture and many others...one merely has to get some distance from the rot of cities to find good hearts. The crowds and noise and scams make us desensitize ourselves, and in the process we are also made less humane. People were not meant to live in asphalt hives. I can be in the city in three hours, for the things not available outside the soul-numbing metro. At night I get cool breezes and hear crickets. I love Thais and Thailand, though sometimes they do not make sense to me. That's okay. I am sure they all wonder why we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway.

As a really sad footnote, CPR and First Aid instructors in the U\S conclude the training with a statement. "Don't use what you have learned except to help a family member or in dire circumstances. People are being sued for helping. Don't be victimized for being humane. Stay clear of being a Good Samaritan."

Edited by FangFerang

You know what, I've just watched that video. Another disgrace. These cowardly thugs beating that boy.

Thailand is needing to introduce the cat o' nine tails to these morons, take the skin off their back and we'll see how hard they are then.

The mob are cowards. Plain and simple. sad.png

Sometimes even accused by the person he helps.

I think that's down to the person in need of help, thinking they can get something good out of a bad situation, compensation let's call it crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif Which of course is incredibly ugly.

Ok, lots of different views here. This happened to me several months ago. What would you have done. I live in nice Thai/farong mixed neighborhood off main road. I went to small Thai grocery store to grab a few beers at 5ish. Still daylight.

14ish kid w guessing 2-3 yr old little sister go roaring by on scooter. 100 meters down the road, for no apparent reason he dumps it hard onto left side. I can still hear the screams from the poor girl. I jumped on my scooter, ran up as I knew help was needed. Fricken at least 20 Thai drivers drove by asiIm holding this poor kid in my arms, working on getting her clear of scooter that is leaking gas onto what meat is left on her left leg and arm.

I laid her in the road and screamed for Someone to call an ambulance. For the record, I've lived here only two yrs but still have a heart and hope I always do. . Especially for children

Well meaning Thai that spoke English comes up and urgently kept telling me...... You must go, you must go. I was at first dumb struck and refused but he finally made it clear. He stated you good man but must go. When police come they will say you caused accident.

That got me moving in a hurry. Jumped on my scooter and scooted home. Still tears my heart out to think that's true but good friend and owner of bar reamed me out when I was slamming a few shots back to clear my head. He stated,what are you crazy, why did you go to help.......... My answer......because I'm a human being.

What would you do?

Three wise monkeys in the store? Shocking but not unexpected. Echoing another topic on here, the complete indifference of a lot of Thai's to any problems or issues but their own or people they know well.

It's not the Thailand of even 3 or 4 years ago anymore, is it?

Is the same place the monkey are running free and the zoo is open for business.

Edited by coconutbar