Five things farang men must stop wearing

Lite Beer

5 things Thai people should stop wearing.

5. Thai-lish T-shirts. The ones with non-sensical google translations of English phrases, I.E, "A man loves what a man wants to loves with." (my GF has that gem).

4. Hitler logos. Yes, I realize most Thai people don't like to learn about world history, and that the only important historical events were in their victories over Burma (just look at the movie selection on this subject). However, wearing Hitler logos is culturally insensitive to the farangs you enjoy taking money from.

3. Girl jeans and Japanese Anime haircuts on Thai men. I know the Emo phase was so 2006, but really now, those skinny legs would look better in the baggie pants you detest. Also, making yourself look like a Drangon Ball Z or Yu Gi Oh! character just looks silly to us. You don't have to go buzzcut but a happy middle would be nicer than the bird's nest on your head.

2. Baby powder on your head and nasal inhalers up your nose. They look gross. Just stop.

1. Fake Louis Vuitton and Gucci. "Fake it til you make it" is a nice motto to live by but it is obvious that if your MBA only landed you a 20K baht/ month job as a hotel manager, then you don't make enough to buy the real thing. You end up looking like a parody of a materialistic farang woman. Your best bet is to marry the fat oaf in the Beer Chang wife beater--maybe he will buy you the real thing (then you can dump him).

Great advice. I would take it more seriously if you would back it with some commitment, for example photographs or money.

Personally, I think all Thais should wear Primrose and Blue. (and farang)

SC

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Thai-lish T-shirts. The ones with non-sensical google translations of English phrases, I.E, "A man loves what a man wants to loves with." (my GF has that gem).

4. Hitler logos. Yes, I realize most Thai people don't like to learn about world history, and that the only important historical events were in their victories over Burma (just look at the movie selection on this subject). However, wearing Hitler logos is culturally insensitive to the farangs you enjoy taking money from.

3. Girl jeans and Japanese Anime haircuts on Thai men. I know the Emo phase was so 2006, but really now, those skinny legs would look better in the baggie pants you detest. Also, making yourself look like a Drangon Ball Z or Yu Gi Oh! character just looks silly to us. You don't have to go buzzcut but a happy middle would be nicer than the bird's nest on your head.

2. Baby powder on your head and nasal inhalers up your nose. They look gross. Just stop.

1. Fake Louis Vuitton and Gucci. "Fake it til you make it" is a nice motto to live by but it is obvious that if your MBA only landed you a 20K baht/ month job as a hotel manager, then you don't make enough to buy the real thing. You end up looking like a parody of a materialistic farang woman. Your best bet is to marry the fat oaf in the Beer Chang wife beater--maybe he will buy you the real thing (then you can dump him).

Great advice. I would take it more seriously if you would back it with some commitment, for example photographs or money.

SC

This makes no sense whatsoever.

SC

I sometimes hesitate, before betraying my lack of understanding. I think you'll find it makes perfect sense, but sadly you have failed to do your research.

Of course, some people might feel that arrogance is worse than ignorance - but ignorance is more easily cured

It drives me nuts when people think they should impose their views about "what is proper (to wear in this case)".

How many times have I seen Thais wearing shirts with english slogans that make no sense? Answer: too many!

Every culture has their own set of ideals - and those ideas can vary within those individual cultures.

I say - stop complaining and let people enjoy themselves. No crimes are being committed (except maybe against fashion).

If you need to tear someone down to make yourself feel better, than you need the help.

• Like 1

It drives me nuts when people think they should impose their views about "what is proper (to wear in this case)".

How many times have I seen Thais wearing shirts with english slogans that make no sense? Answer: too many!

Every culture has their own set of ideals - and those ideas can vary within those individual cultures.

I say - stop complaining and let people enjoy themselves. No crimes are being committed (except maybe against fashion).

If you need to tear someone down to make yourself feel better, than you need the help.

I like to look down on people who support football teams that are less successful in the Scottish league than Berwick Rangers. PLease can you giver me the benefit of your wisdom?

SC

post-123755-0-56004100-1367275461_thumb.

Must be German.

German or Dutch or Swede or Norwegian or Swiss or Austrian or Russian...

Or anyone travelling on a VIP bus - if they don't want to lose toes to frost bite!

Edited by wolf5370

SC

I sometimes hesitate, before betraying my lack of understanding. I think you'll find it makes perfect sense, but sadly you have failed to do your research.

Of course, some people might feel that arrogance is worse than ignorance - but ignorance is more easily cured

Wouldn't be a Rugby League fan by any chance (Warrington Wolves http://www.warringtonwolves.org/)

• Like 1

I saw this handsome fashion guru in Big C last week his gut was touching the food products in the fridge.

Geez - in the frozen dept as well - has he no sense of feeling - I need a fur coat and a scarf for that isle

Edited by wolf5370

I saw this handsome fashion guru in Big C last week his gut was touching the food products in the fridge.

Geez - in the frozen dept as well - has he no sense of feeling - I need a fur coat and a scarf for that isle

He was well insulated with blubber and a hat

Good One Coconuts....couldn't agree more.

While we are at it, can we also encourage Farangs (male and female) to keep their Tattoos hidden, or if they can't hide them just don't come to Thailand, they look so bloody stupid and dirty. Funny how the majority of those who have Tatts are pretty ugly to start with. Filthy Farang not required, we just want the decent folk to visit here.

Excellent article and oh so true.

I have never seen a guy in fisherman's pants (Thai or white guy), never seen a guy in baggy pants in Thailand, never seen a guy

wearing a bead necklace, can't remember a guy wearing a cute/funny tie writing T-shirt. So the only piece of clothing I have seen

worn poorly by thousand of tourists is beer logo wife beaters. I have rarely seen anyone over 25 able to pull it of and never anyone

over 30. So 1 out of 5 for me.

But I do like the fisherman's pants and will look for a pair to wear around the house. They look comfortable.

Edited by Ulic

Good One Coconuts....couldn't agree more.

While we are at it, can we also encourage Farangs (male and female) to keep their Tattoos hidden, or if they can't hide them just don't come to Thailand, they look so bloody stupid and dirty. Funny how the majority of those who have Tatts are pretty ugly to start with. Filthy Farang not required, we just want the decent folk to visit here.

Ok as your preference, but its hardly something that is a farang oddity - just about every Thai over 14 seems to have them - boys and girls. They have now taken up the western type too - so not just those bamboo needle scribbles that look like five years drawings.

Edited by wolf5370

It's amazing that so many men take an interest in what other men are wearing? Must all be metrosexuals? I confess I don't really pay that much attention.

And what are "fisherman pants"? I assume they are not waders?

Fishermen's pants are those long rubber pants with the built in gumboots all one piece. You see the guys working on the trawlers wearing them

Sorry to interfere, but it is not that kind of Fishing pants, Khun Prae is talking about in her article @Coconuts, she is talking about the light weight cotton version of Thai Fishermen pants which are wrapped around the waist or hips (if young girls wear them) since there is neither a zipper nor a button for closure smile.png

post-61315-0-04427800-1377193585_thumb.jpants-thai-wear.jpg

These pants are really comfy, mostly of 100% cotton, come in various length and wide palette of colors. You will find that a lot of the foreign Khao Sarn Rd., dread lock crowd will wear them, they are also extremely popular with those who holiday in 250 Baht per night huts and you'll see them everywhere during the Full moon parties. And since they getting more and more popular now by stylish yoga enthusiasts, you'll find them all over the internet to being exported to almost everywhere around the globe...

and here is a link where a good looking girl shows how to wear them giggle.gif

http://www.wikihow.com/Wear-Thai-Fisherman-Pants

Loving it....clap2.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

SC

Ok, firstly stop trying to sound clever...your comments are pedantic and don't make sense.

Secondly, your response is aimed at my 'lack of research' despite my comment actually being about the sentence itself.

"I sometimes hesitate before betraying my lack of understanding"

Perhaps you should hesitate a little longer, use those precious seconds to learn how to deliver your message effectively, and generally simplify what you are trying to say.

"I would take it more seriously if you would back it with some commitment, for example photographs or money."

What are you talking about!? Where did photographs and money come from? Why does the poster have to show "commitment" (bad choice of word) to make you "take it more seriously" (who cares if you take it seriously or not? Infact, everything he says is true so why wouldn't you take it seriously?).

"some people might feel that arrogance is worse than ignorance - but ignorance is more easily cured"

What is actually worse is someone who writes unnecessarily worded comments (trying to appear more educated than they actually are) about something pointless, and then responds by talking about arrogance and ignorance in a tone that only serves to highlight your own arrogance.

It's amazing that so many men take an interest in what other men are wearing? Must all be metrosexuals? I confess I don't really pay that much attention.

And what are "fisherman pants"? I assume they are not waders?

Fishermen's pants are those long rubber pants with the built in gumboots all one piece. You see the guys working on the trawlers wearing them

Uh, no.

No??? Well what sort of pants do fishermen wear then?

Oh DEAR, no.

The moment I tell someone what they can wear, I impose on their freedom. I don't like anyone judging me. I am not better than anyone, so I let them do what they want. If I know it breaks the law, well, since it's in Thailand, I usually leave it alone anyhow. I have much more important things to worry about. Nirvana is close, yet so far. Take care, my fellow humans. Namaste. tongue.png

You really care what a 70 yo man is wearing? Crikey!

You're not understanding the issue. He can wear whatever he wishes. The issue is what are we forced to look at. Nobody should go around displaying a gut like that. The shirt comes with buttons for a reason.

• Like 2

Sorry farang 000999 I did not realise it was you I was photographing, Try covering your gut up on your next trip out to the store :) people buy food there.

Sorry farang 000999 I did not realise it was you I was photographing, Try covering your gut up on your next trip out to the store smile.png people buy food there.

What's the problem? Women love it when my shirt is completely unbuttoned. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

My personal pet peeves:

- Tourists in Bangkok who feel the need to dress as if they were going on a safari trip in the middle of the African wilderness.

Example:

safari-outfit_JEN5835_IJFR-1.jpg

- People who wear sunglasses at all times, including indoors.

- People who wear wifebeaters, especially hairy mofo's. The other day, I was dining outdoors at a decent restaurant and I had a full frontal view of a large guy in a wifebeater sitting at the next table. I could see the sweat dripping from his chest hair just as I was trying to enjoy my meal. Put on a decent T-shirt or shirt, dammit.

What about the twit with the sunglasses who thinks that his eyes are on the top of his head, especially those with shaved heads. They look like utter idiots !

[/b]

The favourite three ive seen were

- Show me the 80s songs?

- Enjoy watching your funny television program

- It's a nice day for..... BANANAFISH!!!!

4. Baggy Pants

Somehow think they look better than this

attachicon.giffat-shorts.jpg

God I know it's highly unlikely, but I so want that to be some faked photo shopped POS....sadly I think there are enough people with such an intrinsic lack of self awareness around.

Still, you can't beat the old huge beer gut and speedo look I've seen in on some beaches bah.gif