Five things farang men must stop wearing

Lite Beer

I don't subscribe to metrosexual judgement of others style, or not. But it often does look like many of the guys hanging around in beer bars in Pattaya found the clothes they are wearing either at a salvation army thrift shop, or a homeless shelter back home. Guess it is good to be that comfortable with yourself and not give a toss what anyone else thinks about your appearance.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing that so many men take an interest in what other men are wearing? Must all be metrosexuals? I confess I don't really pay that much attention.

And what are "fisherman pants"? I assume they are not waders?

Fishermen's pants are those long rubber pants with the built in gumboots all one piece. You see the guys working on the trawlers wearing them

Er, one may wish to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_fisherman_pants smile.png

And yes, Thai fishermen do wear them (I do not).

Not sure why but since some years i got into the habit of wearing them to bed, never outside.

I wear them in bed too they help against sweating.

It's amazing that so many men take an interest in what other men are wearing? Must all be metrosexuals? I confess I don't really pay that much attention.

Lighten up a bit! Firstly, that article was clearly written tongue-in-cheek. Secondly, the author appears to be a woman.

The article was well written, I might add, and right on the money.

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 1

I've been following the comments on the Coconuts BKK FB page......

https://www.facebook.com/coconutsbangkok?filter=1

Some Highlights.....

The beer vest reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld comment about sweatpants. “You know the message you're sending out to the world with these sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I give up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm miserable, so I might as well be comfortable.”

The woman speeks the Truth! And the hooker arm accessories gots to go to. Ok sure do your thing, but put em back were you found em afterwards. It's like carring around the empty McDonald's bag from the chicken nuggets you ate last night. Who wants to see all that?

Yes, all of the things list are terrible but, Wow! Really?!?! Fashion advise from a Thai huh? Thais by far have the worst fashion I have EVER seen in my life. I suppose someone should offer her a list of do's and don'ts as well. Like 1) Men with long finger nails should cut them. 2) Long toe nails not ok they are not finger nails nor should they be treated as so. 3) Mini skirts and furry legs yuck. 4) A face full of talc <deleted>. Shit, I could be here all day but let me just put this one out there..... Quit picking your f****ng nose in public because it makes me SICK!

and we think we are bad? cheesy.gif

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

The ones that had me mentally shaking my head were the 2 obese blokes I saw in Korat strolling around in "Pattaya Muff Divers Club" and "Sex Instructor - First Lesson Free" T-shirts, with a couple of rough as <deleted> skanky birds clip clopping and braying like donkeys behind them as the "lads" screwed me up.

I've seen more culture under my ****skin.

Real class, but I guess there really are people that buy all the "funny" T-shirts sold along Sukumvhit and Patpong.

I've been following the comments on the Coconuts BKK FB page......

https://www.facebook.com/coconutsbangkok?filter=1

Some Highlights.....

The beer vest reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld comment about sweatpants. “You know the message you're sending out to the world with these sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I give up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm miserable, so I might as well be comfortable.”

The woman speeks the Truth! And the hooker arm accessories gots to go to. Ok sure do your thing, but put em back were you found em afterwards. It's like carring around the empty McDonald's bag from the chicken nuggets you ate last night. Who wants to see all that?

Yes, all of the things list are terrible but, Wow! Really?!?! Fashion advise from a Thai huh? Thais by far have the worst fashion I have EVER seen in my life. I suppose someone should offer her a list of do's and don'ts as well. Like 1) Men with long finger nails should cut them. 2) Long toe nails not ok they are not finger nails nor should they be treated as so. 3) Mini skirts and furry legs yuck. 4) A face full of talc <deleted>. Shit, I could be here all day but let me just put this one out there..... Quit picking your f****ng nose in public because it makes me SICK!

and we think we are bad? cheesy.gif

Try explaining to a thai who visits europe that its just not ok to go out for dinner at night in pajamas.

• Like 2

I just broadly label the three looks: "Look at me, I'm a backpacker!", "Look at me, I'm an aging hippy!", and "Look at me, I'm a retired alcoholic!". I see lots of men who try very hard to capture these looks (well, maybe it comes effortlessly for the alcoholics), and they all look ridiculous.

• Like 2

When a Thai sees you sporting a Chang top, it essentially says, I'm a dumb tourist in flashing neon lights. Think that's harsh? Imagine a clueless Asian traveler wearing a Starbucks T-shirt and wandering around Time Square snapping pictures. There you go. Thats exactly what you look like.

So? So let me get this straight, Thailand wants to promote tourism, and then tourists actually visit, dressing as tourists do, and then we should feel bad about looking like the thing we are? Very confusing.

"Not looking like a tourist" is a classic old-school backpacker-hangup that most of us grow out of.

I'd rather look like a tourist than an expat, frankly.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Fishermen's pants are those long rubber pants with the built in gumboots all one piece. You see the guys working on the trawlers wearing them

Er, one may wish to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_fisherman_pants smile.png

And yes, Thai fishermen do wear them (I do not).

Not sure why but since some years i got into the habit of wearing them to bed, never outside.

They go by the name "passion killers' I believe.

When a Thai sees you sporting a Chang top, it essentially says, I'm a dumb tourist in flashing neon lights. Think that's harsh? Imagine a clueless Asian traveler wearing a Starbucks T-shirt and wandering around Time Square snapping pictures. There you go. Thats exactly what you look like.

So? So let me get this straight, Thailand wants to promote tourism, and then tourists actually visit, dressing as tourists do, and then we should feel bad about looking like the thing we are? Very confusing.

"Not looking like a tourist" is a classic old-school backpacker-hangup that most of us grow out of.

Many do. bah.gif Even at funerals. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I must admit I have never seen farangs wandering around in Fisherman pants and I would prefer if fat old men wore baggy pants than skin tight lycra. Maybe Thai's prefer their farang this way.

What are fishermans pants? Shorts may be comfortable, but they look awful on any man whether they are fat, thin, tall short or whatever.

I wear fisherman pants all the time in and around the house. Going out I would not of course that is just crazy.

same here - shorts or fisherman trousers in doors (cool and comfy) - but put on jeans and a shirt to go out (even to 7-11) - where many Thais wander around in nightwear!

Side Note: My lovely 14 y/o daughter just put 4 pieces of ginger cake on my desk for me - straight out the oven mmmmm (diet begins again tomorrow :D)

As a "Farang" I really would like to read the rest of the article, but the link is dead and the whole bangkok.coconut.co seems to be down!

PS. I already changed my pants, and eager to know more...crazy.gif

Try using Firefox or Chrome - it seems to crash in IE (crap coding I guess)

Aha! Methinks one of the guilty party has just owned up!

The ones that had me mentally shaking my head were the 2 obese blokes I saw in Korat strolling around in "Pattaya Muff Divers Club" and "Sex Instructor - First Lesson Free" T-shirts, with a couple of rough as <deleted> skanky birds clip clopping and braying like donkeys behind them as the "lads" screwed me up.

I've seen more culture under my ****skin. [WOLF5370: My Bolding - not original]

cheesy.gif "Cheesy" lol!

You see some hippy looking dudes going about in fisherman pants, some of them suit them, but there are some atrocious eye damaging abominations out there.

1234679_564789686918338_388365184_n.jpg

I caught it on Facebook a while ago before the site went down. They were talking about guys wearing these wife beaters, and I personally can't stand them. I've seen myself standing in decent restaurants and clubs and guys wander in wearing them, shorts and flip flops.

At best they're day wear, of an evening smarten up a bit. I saw a guy in Hotshots ( a cabaret bar, decent mainly Thai crowd ) wander in wearing a grey wife beater, shorts and flip flops. His pals were dressed the same way, where he stood out was he was hairier than a silver back gorilla. I was repulsed, the Thais I was with were boaking, his hairy arms matted with sweat. It was disgusting.

As far as I'm concerned it was the doormen to blame, they should be knocking guys dressed like that back. If your going out at night at least put on a smart casual shirt / polo shirt and dress shorts at least. I've guys who are overweight like men can be smart looking, and in Thailand it's not hard, not expensive for slimmer guys to dress sharp.

Ideal day wear for many, atrocious evening wear in a club.

Dress shorts????

post-123755-0-56004100-1367275461_thumb.

Must be German.

Or from Yorkshire! Oh aye, lad!

Nah lad, he'd have wellies on, and if anyone thinks we sha* sheep with wellies on, think again, we just hold em over a cliff, they always push back harder, we learnt to beat the Welsh at their own game with less effort...facepalm.gif

Eee bah gum..w00t.gif

• Like 1