Been in Thailand for about 3 weeks now... My overall thoughts...

Neo6

We have a tourist who's looking for a 5 star experience. Which seems to be difficult to fine here.

As you say, there's great stuff in the lower end, but this tourist didn't come here for that. This seems to be the problem.

Precisely my view.. Thailand does have some 5 star resorts.. But little 5 star attractions and the getting to and from is very much not 5 star..

This is why the quality tourist rumblings just make me laugh.. Lowish price low to decent quality is what they have.

• Like 2

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like your expectations are different than the reality of Thailand. 1st - if you want nice beach time, don't visit in summer. December - March is best for the beach/diving/good weather experience. 2nd - doing "touristy" stuff, such as jet ski, parasailing, ziplines, white water rafting cost more money than walking around markets and looking at temples. In fact, most Thai do not do that kind of stuff as a rule. 3rd - fancy resorts are the same the world over and if you close your eyes, you have a hard time telling what city you're in. 4th - gear your expectations to what you enjoy doing the most. For me, I learned to dive on Koh Tao. Took a cooking course in Chiang Mai. and decided to retire in Chiang Mai because, like many less popular destinations of Thailand, it is more a reflection of the "real" Thailand - a country struggling to be a modern, civilized place that has a nice climate, plenty of good food(not imported) and tourists are only part of the equation. Maybe you tried to do too much in a short visit or you just expected to be entertained at a level to which you've become accustomed and Thailand did not meet those expectations. You may be happier in a sanitary environment, free from disappointment and discomfort. Austria, Switzerland and Las Vegas come to mind. Good luck with your next one!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

You can get anywhere you want with the skytrain ???? The last time I was in Bangkok (4 weeks ago) I walked away from the station and got a bus instead, was much quicker, there was really long queues at the ticket office and the ticket machines, this was at 3 pm midweek. So have all those BTS stations sprung up and all those new tracks been laid in the last four weeks?

Well I would have to say it would very much depend on what station you used to try and buy a ticket and what day of the week it was too. In any event, if you plan to use the BTS it is far better to buy a stored value card and avoid the queues.

The BTS/MRT, while it does not cover every part of Bangkok, does cover quite a bit and much preferable to taking a bus/taxi (most of the time).

You've spent$ 20k in one month and say Thailand is expensive. I'm living here for $10k a year.

But really !!! How relevant is the advice of someone living on 25k a month.. To someone whose desires are funded by 600k a month ??

Not eveyone wants to eat off plastic tables or catch a song teow..

you got that right. but to be fair all the poster commenting can afford is his opinion.

Wow, OP, you sure got a lot of mileage out of your well written post. I live in Chiang Mai, and agree with others that you will probably enjoy it a lot.

I think your biggest mistake was bringing your girlfriend with you. I don't know why guys do that. Have there been at least a few times on your trip, when maybe you and she weren't getting along, and you looked at the lovely local ladies, and thought...if only! These ladies have not forgotten the subtle arts of pleasing a man.

I can't add anything of value here, except to say I am (ashamed to say but) envious of a young guy who can afford to spend Twenty Thousand Dollars on a vacation! Too bad it's gone so wrong.

Hawaii can be done in 3 weeks for less money than you spent here. Lots to do there, for a family. And its all consolidated. Do Oahu and Maui, no need to do this rest. I lived there 5 years in Waikik and had a blast with my family. I would not bring my family to Thailand, its a single man's paradise here. Just my Opinion. Bali would be my other choice.

Sounds like your expectations are different than the reality of Thailand. 1st - if you want nice beach time, don't visit in summer. December - March is best for the beach/diving/good weather experience. 2nd - doing "touristy" stuff, such as jet ski, parasailing, ziplines, white water rafting cost more money than walking around markets and looking at temples. In fact, most Thai do not do that kind of stuff as a rule. 3rd - fancy resorts are the same the world over and if you close your eyes, you have a hard time telling what city you're in. 4th - gear your expectations to what you enjoy doing the most. For me, I learned to dive on Koh Tao. Took a cooking course in Chiang Mai. and decided to retire in Chiang Mai because, like many less popular destinations of Thailand, it is more a reflection of the "real" Thailand - a country struggling to be a modern, civilized place that has a nice climate, plenty of good food(not imported) and tourists are only part of the equation. Maybe you tried to do too much in a short visit or you just expected to be entertained at a level to which you've become accustomed and Thailand did not meet those expectations. You may be happier in a sanitary environment, free from disappointment and discomfort. Austria, Switzerland and Las Vegas come to mind. Good luck with your next one!coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

There are many travel websites that say travel to Thailand during the rainy season is a pretty good deal. Rains don't last that long, and you do have some sunny days. On the other hand, it can rain cats and dogs for days and roads can be washed out. Hard to figure out who's opinion to believe!

We did Phuket a few years ago in August. Based on advice from several internet travel forums saying it was a good time to visit. Guess what? Rained pretty much every day, couldn't swim in the ocean, and our 1 week luxury resort was the room we hung out in. Not bad, but not a beach vacation. Luckily, they had great room service.

• Like 1

I would say just bad planning on the latter part of your trip. Also 5 star hotels are not Thailand..

Have fun in Majorca next year xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Funny because most people on this forum said my plan was very good.

5 star hotels are not Thailand? How do you figure that? A large majority of the resorts are now 4 and 5 star...

And thanks but no thanks to Majorca, have a bit more adventure in me than that smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Just went back to look at some of the posts made on the first page of your original thread.

Hardly would say that most people in the comments I read said your plans were very good. Quite a few were over-the-top negative. Those somewhat deranged rants you read should have clued you in that the advice you would get here needed to be taken with several grains of salt. Maybe after the first page the comments became more enthusiastic, but I doubt it.

There were also suggestions made as to other places to visit without the heavy emphasis on 5 star resorts, which you apparently ignored.

Getting the most out of a trip to Thailand is less about hitting the islands and the resorts and the high priced restaurants and focusing on how many thousands of dollars you spent or staying in hotels where some dumb-ass movie was shot. You should have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok if you wanted to be pampered, but if you really want all that you'd be better off in high-end touristy ghettos in the US or Europe.

"Funny because most people on this forum said my plan was very good."

Anyway, the people who comment on threads in these forums are residents here or people contemplating long-time stays. This isn't Club Med or Thomas Cook. For the most part we are less likely to bother with resorts and we'd much prefer to eat at restaurants that are decidedly un-touristy but where the food is excellent. Our priorities tend to be the mundane ... swimming pool maintenance, condo management, weeds in the garden, heights of balcony railings, and where to find the best pizzas or bagels. We tend to regard reports of the bizarre antics of clueless tourists as fodder for our entertainment.

I wonder how many people here actually read through your entire first post in this thread. You're 28 years old and rather full of yourself. A high percentage of regular posters on this forum have been around a great deal longer than that. A great deal. Not much reason to think their suggestions would suit you or your chronicle of moaning would interest many of them. When it comes to whining/whingeing, you're a comparative amateur here.

LOL!

I would say just bad planning on the latter part of your trip. Also 5 star hotels are not Thailand..

Have fun in Majorca next year biggrin.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Funny because most people on this forum said my plan was very good.

5 star hotels are not Thailand? How do you figure that? A large majority of the resorts are now 4 and 5 star...

And thanks but no thanks to Majorca, have a bit more adventure in me than that smile.png

Really? Judging by your post, you don't seem particularly adventurous. You said there was nothing to do. What exactly did you want to do?

Also, you complain about all the transfers. How long did you think it was going to take to get from place to place?

Dear Neo,

you do a lot of writing and reading in your holiday, and you are spending your money not very wisely.

In many aspects I do agree with you, in others I don't. Sure Thailand is not a dream destination any more, people become greedy, places crowded. Have never seen a nice town or city, architecture wise. Temples get boring after a while. But still there are beautiful

sceneries, impressive mountains, most romantic islands and other places.

Since almost 40 years I am visiting Thailand more or less regularly. Now I live with my Thai wife on Samui for 4 years.

Within all of these years I have done a lot of travelling within Thailand, in Malaysia and Lao with little money and never ever have made any advance hotel bookings, but haven't had half as much reason to complain. Travelled mostly by public transport, met people on the bus who told me where to find a reasonable hotel or resort to stay. Never anything was stolen from me.

Been to Koh Phangnan Thong Nai Pan Yai for 3 weeks, and I enjoyed staying in a tiny little, inexpensive, yet clean, quiet, dutch

managed resort. Last December went to Koh Lanta by motorbike stayed a week in a 400 Baht a night room and enjoyed it.

The southern part of Koh Lanta Yai is breathtakingly beautiful. The local markets are full of fruits, fish, veggies and whateveryouwant.

People are nice, there is a large choice of restaurants, resorts and hotels. When you have your own transport it's so easy to go to Krabi, which is a pleasant town. Went to Pattaya to buy a 2nd hand car. Stayed there for a week and had a good time. Never paid more than 900 B/night.

Sure you expected too much. In my opinion you did do wrong planning, you did too much planning instead of just going to one place and from there go drifting to where ever you like...

Have a better time next vacation.

Max

• Like 1

This is the "quality tourist" that Thailand is trying to attract. They have high standards and are sorely disappointed when those standards are not met.

I think you totally and utterly misunderstand what type of traveler I am.

I disagree. You are the young affluent European visitor that the TAT is trying to attract (without them doing anything to the country to improve your experience).

The OP's use of English suggests he is American, not "European". "Kinda"? All prices quoted in dollars? Maybe An American in Paris?

• Like 1

Dear Neo,

you do a lot of writing and reading in your holiday, and you are spending your money not very wisely.

In many aspects I do agree with you, in others I don't. Sure Thailand is not a dream destination any more, people become greedy, places crowded. Have never seen a nice town or city, architecture wise. Temples get boring after a while. But still there are beautiful

sceneries, impressive mountains, most romantic islands and other places.

Since almost 40 years I am visiting Thailand more or less regularly. Now I live with my Thai wife on Samui for 4 years.

Within all of these years I have done a lot of travelling within Thailand, in Malaysia and Lao with little money and never ever have made any advance hotel bookings, but haven't had half as much reason to complain. Travelled mostly by public transport, met people on the bus who told me where to find a reasonable hotel or resort to stay. Never anything was stolen from me.

Been to Koh Phangnan Thong Nai Pan Yai for 3 weeks, and I enjoyed staying in a tiny little, inexpensive, yet clean, quiet, dutch

managed resort. Last December went to Koh Lanta by motorbike stayed a week in a 400 Baht a night room and enjoyed it.

The southern part of Koh Lanta Yai is breathtakingly beautiful. The local markets are full of fruits, fish, veggies and whateveryouwant.

People are nice, there is a large choice of restaurants, resorts and hotels. When you have your own transport it's so easy to go to Krabi, which is a pleasant town. Went to Pattaya to buy a 2nd hand car. Stayed there for a week and had a good time. Never paid more than 900 B/night.

Sure you expected too much. In my opinion you did do wrong planning, you did too much planning instead of just going to one place and from there go drifting to where ever you like...

Have a better time next vacation.

Max

Sorry error, meant to say: In my opinion you didn't do wrong planning, you did far too much planning...

Good, keep passing on the word about how terrible Phangan is..... I especially loved the line about how "Phangan is basically a crappy version of Samui"......we who live here wouldn't go anywhere near Samui with a ten-foot pole and avoid it at all cost, but I guess it all depends on your perspective; some people just like Tesco's, movie theaters and 1000 baht dinners and 500 baht taxi rides, some people like nature, perfect empty beaches, 50 baht pad Thai and riding around on a 5 dollar a day scooter.

You didn't understand the beauty and vibe of Thong Nai Pan, excellent, please pass the word! More for the people here who enjoy the freedom and personality of this cool-ass place and don't want farangs overrunning it outside of the week leading up to full moon. The other 3 weeks are perfect, and the people who live here know that.

The KP cool-ass vibe....

Your planning sucked. If you like 5 star hotels don't go to Phangan if you like things to do don't go to Lanta. Phuket would be better for you.

Going to Bangkok eating pizza, see a movie and go to a shooting range? Go to to see the grand palace, do a canal trip and eat some Thai food.

• Like 1

If you cannot relax into the slow pace of island life, then that type of setting is simply not for you. You tried it and you did not like it - fair enough.

It's true that Thailand is not the cheap destination it once was, but the price level in Samui is higher than in most other parts of the country.

'The real Thailand' is a bs phrase anyway. There are as many environments and places here as anywhere else, and they are all real, and all Thailand.

If you want to see how Thai people live outside of the tourist areas, rent a vehicle and drive somewhere on the map that's not listed in the guide books. You'll be sure to see something else, but I am not sure you'll like it, because you seem to want a pretty high standard of food and accommodation, and you don't really get that outside of the cities and main tourist spots.

Nah I can relax... That's kinda my point... All I can think of when I look back over the last 3 weeks is the sheer amount of crappy traveling we have done... For example flying, car journeys, hotel check-ins, pointless driving around looking for something that isn't there.

I totally agree "the real Thailand" is a totally stupid phrase. From what I've seen most "real Thais" live in a state close to poverty. In Bangkok they are crammed into dirty old apartment blocks and on the islands most of them live in tin huts. I do not mean that in a disrespectful way, it is simply the fact of how things are. Like I say 99% of the Thai people we have come in contact with have been awesome and very helpful. They seem like a lovely people overall

How are you gunna get any where if you don't fly or drive?If you don't like hotel check ins,bring a tent.You are a whinger.Stay home next time.

I am thinking the OP should copy and paste (and modify it a little) his original post and post it on Lonely Planet.

There is a much larger audience on Lonely Planet and negative stories about Thailand will help keep as many people away from here as possible.

My apologies to anyone here trying to run a tourist industry type business.

• Like 2

Great article, well written and interesting. I've live in Mae Sariang in the Mae Hong Son Province of Northwest Thailand. If you want an experience of the real Thailand check out the Thai Basic Stay website. A small tour company owned by Wilai, who was brought up here and returned after more that 15 years experience as a tour guide in Chiang Mai and other areas and has excellent English.

You came to Bangkok and make no mention of the Grand Palace or any Wats or any other of amazing things to see here. Why come here to go to the cinema and go shooting, surely you can do that at home. This city is one of the most vibrant and exciting in the World, I really don't see how anyone could not enjoy themselves here. A good meal on the street should cost you know no more than a few $'s and it's where the best food is to be found. You seem to have totally missed the essence of what makes this place special. Maybe you thought it would be like an oriental version of home, but it's a shame you seem to have missed out on seeing what an awesome city this is.

Great reply bs,

I think also he has done the overpriced self planned holiday, for someone who hasn't been to Thailand before that;s a big mistake, my firsy ever holiday in Thailand was back in 2007 and that was for a month, I didn't even book a hotel befrore I left and i took each day as it came, done Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket and a day trip to Burma, I saw Thailand as most tourists don't, as for Bangkok it's one of the most fantastic cities in the world you just have to jump on the BTS (120 baht for the day) and you can see the sights easily.

What a missed opportunity.

• Like 1

No Phuket or Pattaya on your itinerary, OP?

Plan was to go all around the Krabi area (including Phuket), but it turns out Lanta is the worst possible place to do that from. Would have been nice to know this!

As for Pattaya why would I go there? Isn't it full of old fat dudes trying to get laid? I'm with my GF and have no need for that nonsense smile.png

Just for the record, Pattaya is full of matue to old [some fat and some not] dudes that are getting laid. Not "trying" to get laid.

I note you seem disdainful of fornicating/whoremongering old men. Are fornicating with your GF ?

If you stay at the 5 star places and expensive resturants then of course it's not cheap.

Since you have the money,.. I don't blame you a bit for living/traveling luxuriously.

Be advised we of lesser means appreciate low cost Thailand.

Edited by JohnPrewett
  • Like 1

Shame that your overall experience of Thailand never lived up to your expectations.

I live in Samui and have stayed in some of the places you name in your post ..Labua is the worst place I have stayed in in Thailand.

From reading your thread I'm thinking that there's a possibility you planned it to hard and set yourself a regimented tour.

Sometimes your just best off having an out line of what you want to do, and where you want to go and things you want to see.

If BKK doesn't suit then jog on to samui early,, if samui is to your liking spend a few days longer. Etc

I comprehend what another poster has stressed ,,, that Thailand isn't for 5 star tourism, they have a point,

My best experiences have come from getting down with the locals and using small local business's for pretty much everything.

I generally use mid range hotels and that's only because my Mrs is a lot fussier than myself, and always seem to find a great stay.

We once went to koh Chang for 10 days but left after 3 due to constant rain, just jumped in a Thai fellas pickup truck and ended up in pattaya for a week,,,, that's not my favourite destination ,,, but we just rolled with the blows so to speak.

Good luck and I hope the last section of your vacation is better than the rest.

• Like 1

I cannot fathom anyone complaining about airport connections. I mean, it matters not where you go on this planet, you are going to have to put up with the cattle conditions of modern airports.

And what are hub airports like Heathrow or CDG or FRA all about if not to be "hubs" to ferry you elsewhere if needed.?

Strongly recommend flying to Chiang Mai. The rail journey is boring and the roads are extremely dangerous.

• Like 1

Wow, OP, you sure got a lot of mileage out of your well written post. I live in Chiang Mai, and agree with others that you will probably enjoy it a lot.

I think your biggest mistake was bringing your girlfriend with you. I don't know why guys do that. Have there been at least a few times on your trip, when maybe you and she weren't getting along, and you looked at the lovely local ladies, and thought...if only! These ladies have not forgotten the subtle arts of pleasing a man.

I can't add anything of value here, except to say I am (ashamed to say but) envious of a young guy who can afford to spend Twenty Thousand Dollars on a vacation! Too bad it's gone so wrong.

And why the hell shouldn't he take his girlfriend with him? Not all men go on holiday as sexpats. You can't add anything of value to this, that's probably because you have never visited Thailand apart from the sweaty walk from your crap hotel to the closest go go bar.

• Like 1

I would like to thank the OP for an objective view of LOS, admitting some mistakes but mostly ignoring being baited by the noisome Thailand lovers. Here's my take on what went wrong most of which have already been covered.

Too long in LOS. Maybe should have researched any airline stopover packages and reduced the Thailand experience.

Too many beaches. They are simply NOT all that.... even the ones you missed.

Too many stops. Maybe a result of having too long overall in the country.

Online research. Be aware to sift the recommendations from forum members who either live or work here from other REAL tourists. The former have different expectations.... even the ones on this forum who don't even live here or, heaven forbid, haven't been themselves.

Focusing on the 5-star digs. Pretty much any reasonably accurate travel website, blog or forum would have told you that there's superb quality lodging in the 3 and lower 4 start brackets.

Personally, I find tripadvisor to be crap. There's better REAL opinions on agoda regarding what hotels can offer and what to do in the area. Locking oneself into prepaid bookings is only a real issue in high season when rooms are expensive and scarce. The OP should have opted for pre-booking the first Bangkok hotel (NOT the Lebua!) and then used the web to find the 3-4 star options on-the-fly once jet lag was over and the real tour begins.

Make sure you see what theblether can suggest so that the CM experience ends the visit on a high note. I have found that most overall travel experiences are only as good as the last few days. The dire bits get quickly forgotten if the ending is a happy one (groan).

NOOB. Sorry that you did almost everything wrong. I am not a fan of most of the places you went, but I still had a good time there, for a fraction of the price. Sorry, you will need to learn to use the interwebs and find out what is going on instead of buffering it with insane amounts of money. If you aren't a troll, you definitely need to reevaluate your idea of what money can buy you. Examples: Never paid 500 baht for a taxi in Koh Samui, hotels had good service and were only in the 3-4k range on the beach and went to nice natural parks and areas and had fun. Yeah, people are making some money, but, what did you expect? Gorillas in the mist with <deleted> what's her name?

Sorry....go somewhere else and be disappointed in a new way next year...........sorry for angry post.