Unrealistic expectations?

smooth expat

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expectations are the parents of disappointments. The lower the expectation - the less the disappointment - simple smile.png

I reckon there's a good bit advice in that statement.

I'd phrase it differently.

It's not about lowering the expectations of the Family, but more about managing them ... but most times that is managing them lower ... rolleyes.gif ... if you can do that and keep the respect of the Family ... you're halfway there.

I've not been around as long as a lot of the old timers but, I'm happy with the level of expectation all round between me and the extended family.

Expectations are the parents of disappointments. The lower the expectation - the less the disappointment - simple smile.png

It's not about lowering the expectations of the Family, but more about managing them ... but most times that is managing them lower ... rolleyes.gif ... if you can do that and keep the respect of the Family ... you're halfway there.

I've not been around as long as a lot of the old timers but, I'm happy with the level of expectation all round between me and the extended family.

Family expectations- one reason that I want to live as far away as possible from the family, and preferably in a single room apartment.

Family expectations- one reason that I want to live as far away as possible from the family, and preferably in a single room apartment.

I'm currently living at their Farm, same house, same breakfast table, same shitter.

The various sisters kids ... sisters without husbands ... the whole shooting match.

It has certainly taught me patience, alcohol reduction and Thai food.

Stuck at the Farm 24/7 ... no way out really.

Three weeks to go ... facepalm.gif

All I said is that, if the members who claim to have stunning wives/GFs actually posted pics of them, there's a good chance there'd be a discrepancy between the reality and the hyperbole.

I reckon my girl is stunning to me ... but, that is just a personal opinion and if the other men reckon she's ugly ... all the better.

BTW ... her image is her Avatar.

here.

Stunningly good looking women are nice to look at, but for peace of mind, take Trini's advice and "never make a pretty woman your wife ( gf )"

Ahhhhhh,, so that explains the number of gay people all over the place.

I'm currently living at their Farm, same house, same breakfast table, same shitter.

The various sisters kids ... sisters without husbands ... the whole shooting match.

That is some people's idea of domestic heaven ;)

• Like 2

Respect

• Like 1

I think you should be asking if it's reasonable for a Thai girl to expect a Farang that has had all the opportunity's in the world to make something of themselves, to not want anything to do with one living in a fan room because they have squandered their life away because better opportunity's are available ...... the answer is obviously yes.

Table!!!!!

You are lucky.

I had to provide my own table and chair.

My village family prepare food and eat sitting on the floor.

I even bought them a gas stove, but the MIL still gets up at 5am to light the carcoal fire.

Luckily, my wife is prepared to give me food I like, as no way would I ever eat what the family does- everything is red hot with chillies.

It was a happy day when we left the village, even if it was just for a small provincial town.

• Like 2

I think you should be asking if it's reasonable for a Thai girl to expect a Farang that has had all the opportunity's in the world to make something of themselves, to not want anything to do with one living in a fan room because they have squandered their life away because better opportunity's are available ...... the answer is obviously yes.

Rubbish. My wife and I lived in a fan room for a couple of years after we started living together.

"Making something of oneself" has nothing to do with where one lives, assuming it's not in a hovel on the rubbish tip. We lived in the sort of accomodation that millions of Thais live in- are you saying that they never "made it".

A couple of years ago now....

Girlfriend very happy to live in my nice fan room up high for the breeze but no elevator. Went to meet the potential in-law's, but nothing higher than 6inches and that was the "table". They just didn't see that I was impossibly uncomfortable (6ft6ins) and couldn't eat the spicy rotten fish dish or whatever they were serving up. Sleeping on the floor under a holey mozzy-net. You get the picture....

Girlfriend suffered torn loyalties and guess what - the family won!! w00t.gif

What a relief! thumbsup.gif

Why would anyone want the burden of living with a cheap Charlie?

Never heard of "love"? Not every woman in the world is a financial mercenary.

It is hard to love a cheap Charlie because he only loves himself.

Rene ... as a sweeping, all encompassing generalisation ... your comment is well wide of the mark.

Your definition of a cheap Charlie must be different than mine. To me a cheap Charlie is a guy who never pays his own way or repays debts, and expects others to cover for him. A frugal person is something entirely different and lives within their own means..

Never heard of "love"? Not every woman in the world is a financial mercenary.

Rene ... as a sweeping, all encompassing generalisation ... your comment is well wide of the mark.

Your definition of a cheap Charlie must be different than mine. To me a cheap Charlie is a guy who never pays his own way or repays debts, and expects others to cover for him. A frugal person is something entirely different and lives within their own means..

Thais would consider your "frugal person" to be a "cheap Charlie". Try not giving the Thai family anything, and suffer the consequences ( except for the "lucky" farangs that marry DDG hiso Chinese Thai girls from rich families that give them money cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ).

Post modified to allow posting.

You just answered your question when stated: why judge the farang to a different standard? Because it's a farang thats why.

Besides who cares what is expected or judged?

I have my own expectations towards myself and that's what matters not what others would expect. And the judgement yeah here we go again..I always say, other's opinion about me is none of my business.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

Each to their own.

My thoughts were along the lines of cheep Charlie ... careful with his/her money ... Kee-nee-ow

As opposed to what you described ... Kee-nok ... a selfish person who only thinks of and spends money on him/her self.

My wife gave her sporty little Yaris to her nephew to drive her friend and Swedish husband down to Koh Chang after they had finished visiting here. When he got there he managed to attract some girls attention and got her phone number. After a month or so she arrived here with a big bag of clothes (at his invitation of course). She spent the night in their falling down one room shack with his parents and his baby from another foolish girl. When she saw me driving the Yaris this morning, she apparently said she was leaving and was gone before I got back to the kompong. Great expectations and judged accordingly, but also fairly, he is a nice guy, but extremely lazy and allowed great license by his mother to do nothing all his life.

• Like 1

My wife gave her sporty little Yaris to her nephew to drive her friend and Swedish husband down to Koh Chang after they had finished visiting here. When he got there he managed to attract some girls attention and got her phone number. After a month or so she arrived here with a big bag of clothes (at his invitation of course). She spent the night in their falling down one room shack with his parents and his baby from another foolish girl. When she saw me driving the Yaris this morning, she apparently said she was leaving and was gone before I got back to the kompong. Great expectations and judged accordingly, but also fairly, he is a nice guy, but extremely lazy and allowed great license by his mother to do nothing all his life.

He sounds like my nephews, except only one is nice.

Each to their own.

My thoughts were along the lines of cheep Charlie ... careful with his/her money ... Kee-nee-ow

As opposed to what you described ... Kee-nok ... a selfish person who only thinks of and spends money on him/her self.

My wife called me kee nok when I wouldn't give money to her family, so I agreed with her. Took her aback a bit, LOL.

No normal women from any part of the world, wants a loser as a boyfriend. Like most normal men, will not settle with a fat ass, lazy unemployed white woman... Instead they prefer a lazy slim Thai-woman :-)

Edited by btwretail