step daughter and logic

lovelomsak

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My oldest stepdaughter wanted a phone, she got one, about 1100 baht if I recall.

The younger stepdaughter also got one because her big sister had one. Again about 1100 baht.

Two months later, one is broken and the other was 'stolen'. Both because some 'friends' did it.

That was about 2 years ago, no phones (out of my pocket) since and nobody is complaining.

If you give kids expensive shit, you are a mug. Grown up's expectation of having iPhone's and iPad's and all that other techy <deleted> that 'friends' can't live without is bad enough without starting the kids on that track.

My wife's daughter kept having phones stolen rolleyes.gif , her father kept replacing them. Turned out she was selling them to get a later model. sad.png

Ha-ha-ha. Cute!. I wonder what the money went for? Brats!

ABCers last comment is spot on as far as I'm concerned - the daughter already has an attitude because 'second best' is not good enough for her *sigh* I think OP is absolutely doing the right thing.

Mr RealDeal obviously only ever buys the 'real deal' ie prefers to spend more than is necessary in the circumstances. Possibly foolish, probably misguided. :-)

• Like 1

ABCers last comment is spot on as far as I'm concerned - the daughter already has an attitude because 'second best' is not good enough for her *sigh* I think OP is absolutely doing the right thing.

Mr RealDeal obviously only ever buys the 'real deal' ie prefers to spend more than is necessary in the circumstances. Possibly foolish, probably misguided. :-)

Giving money away to other men's children seems a little bit daft to me.

But the money is not coming from her, is it. Somebody else's money. Yes/No. ....Is that good teaching. Yes/No.

It can be about power and checking to see how much control they can have. It sounds as if you are on the right track. The first time she refused and did not get what she wanted. The second time, she learned and said that she would think about it.

Keep the rudder over hard and she will come around.

• Like 1

You are the cheap Charlie who would rather see your step kid have no phone or transportation to save a few bucks you don't even need and since your friends and neighbors know it's nonsense have to try and gain sympathy on the internet from random strangers ........ who is the one cutting the nose off ? her ? or you ? ........... you are the one who is refusing to give your step kid a decent product you can easily afford so you look like a cheap Charlie douchebag ..... and you are ....... It's you who is cutting your own nose off to spite your own face because you are wanting to save a couple of bucks you don't need to look like and be a douchebag parent instead and the only hope in hell of getting anyone to side with you is on the internet.

Your a dick.

I totally agree with the Op about making sure teenagers understand the value of things. Thailand and the world in general is getting f@#ked up by people who are ignorant and think money is the be all and end all of happiness.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

People who tell it like it is are always called dicks ....it's you're not your btw .... it's not about money it's about quality and nice things , it's just that quality and nice things cost more and the op and I guess you and other posters are to cheap to care about that when it comes to your Thai step kids ..... if that makes you sleep better at night fine by me.

My wife is CHEAP.My stepson has grown into a fine young man.

kennedy, do not denigrate yourself and/or your wife. You are not CHEAP. Being thrifty, economical and sensible does not make you cheap. I have noticed here a certain RealDeal 'expensive' member who sounds quite abusive in his posts to other members. He does not see how he lowers himself by doing this. Most likely he does not lower himself - just a really cheap creature with lots of money. He should try to put more sense and real care and love in his family life instead of shoving money into every opening. His kids (most likely not his) will grow up brats. Although he never wrote anything rude about me he does it to others and I hate seeing this. Waiting to see his reaction!

Yes, absolutely..working and saving the money yourself would be the best lesson, but maybe opportunities don't exist for her to earn..? OP offered to help out and was rejected outright. She loses as she still hasn't got what she desires. If she thinks about it she'll realise she burnt a bridge...and might learn from it?

But the money is not coming from her, is it. Somebody else's money. Yes/No. ....Is that good teaching. Yes/No.

• Like 1

You are the cheap Charlie who would rather see your step kid have no phone or transportation to save a few bucks you don't even need and since your friends and neighbors know it's nonsense have to try and gain sympathy on the internet from random strangers ........ who is the one cutting the nose off ? her ? or you ? ........... you are the one who is refusing to give your step kid a decent product you can easily afford so you look like a cheap Charlie douchebag ..... and you are ....... It's you who is cutting your own nose off to spite your own face because you are wanting to save a couple of bucks you don't need to look like and be a douchebag parent instead and the only hope in hell of getting anyone to side with you is on the internet.

Your a dick.

I totally agree with the Op about making sure teenagers understand the value of things. Thailand and the world in general is getting f@#ked up by people who are ignorant and think money is the be all and end all of happiness.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

People who tell it like it is are always called dicks ....it's you're not your btw .... it's not about money it's about quality and nice things , it's just that quality and nice things cost more and the op and I guess you and other posters are to cheap to care about that when it comes to your Thai step kids ..... if that makes you sleep better at night fine by me.

I'm seconding the OP, as there is more to it than just a 16,000 Baht smart phone. Have you added the cost of a flat-rate data plan for the next 3 years?!? It's obscene to pay this kind of money to please a 14 y.o. who likely hasn't earned 100 Baht in her life. Instead, I would buy her the Skype Thailand flatrate and let her call all her friends for hours each day - from the computer at home.

Moreover, the Honda Wave is a solid bike - unlike some fancy "KSR" minibike or whatever she desires. Again, I would not let a 14 y.o. girl make such decisions, especially if she hasn't ridden a motorcycle with a clutch or a driving license. (Can her mother please tell her not to ride on the wrong side of the road? It's shocking how many Thais do that even on busy highways).

Yours truly bought a new phone last month - a Nokia for 720 B. To surf the WWW or to use Twitter etc., I use a regular notebook costing less than 5,000 Baht used. // A relative will soon become a twen. She plays truant, gets bad grades (to get her to progress to M6 was a nail biting experience). This lady won't hold down a job, any job for a fortnight. And there will be mom as long as mom lives. then what?!?

Do you really want to have demanding female drones who expect to get their smartphone replaced annually, because their parents can afford that?! A good data plan costs at least 10,000 Baht p.a. While there will be both, wifi and a spare computer for her at home?

Sorry, I would only buy her a normal phone and offer her only the sensible Honda Wave. (Have you seen how teens destroy bikes by customizing them stupidly?!?)

Once the young lady is earning her own money, she can buy the I-Phone 11 and anything else she can afford.

• Like 1

I (partly) sponsor my two 'stepdaughters' education. They aren't my wife's offspring btw, but the orphans of my wife's older sister who died of cancer rather young. The older one is bright and gets great grades whereas the young one is as thick as a post. My wife (Auntie) despairs for the younger one as being the candidate for early pregnancy and the low life. My money is on the smart one to discover boys first (if she hasn't already) and fall at the first hurdle.

My GFs daughter wanted an iphone i gave her my galaxy mini and bought a new 2000 bath phone for me, she is very happy with the galaxy mini and i have a phone that does what i want it to. She wanted a new zoomer x i bought a second hand fino for our family, she thinks im a super guy supplying a decent motorbike for us and there was some bath over for an old rx 100 to me. Now she wants an ipad, I am thinking about giving her a cheaper pad on her bithday next month, im pretty sure she will appreciate it. It is not about being cheap, she is still a rather good 15 year old and i will not spoil her into a brat.

• Like 2

In my opinion OP has already been EXTREMELY generous... Its too bad the family doesnt see this. OP doesnt mention how long hes been in the family though, this plays a big factor. I think buying the college kid a scooter to get around on is great. But the 14 year old daughter???? I wouldnt even offer. Sorry. If the mother wants to get her one, than have her spend her money, or get money from her family (also depending on how long OP has been in the family). 10,000 baht for a 14 year olds cell phone is plenty too. If she wants a more expensive one... Again, have her family pony up the extra cash.... I would make sure the mother explained this to the child how generous the OP is already.

At 14, the stepdaughter is going to try to work the system to get what she wants or what her friends tell her she wants. Her attitude toward material things and how to get them, will be shaped over the next few years by you and her mother. The kids try to play daddy against mother, pouting, threatening, screaming, silent treatment, etc

Set the rules/conditions, keep them fair, be consiistent, and hang on for the ride.If you and her mother work together, the finished product (maturity) could be your pride and joy.

That was the post I was trying to find to put the above reply to. Well said and very true.
  • Like 1

No need for a 14 year old to have a 10k smart phone especially in Thailand.

I'm twice that age and my Samsung smart phone cost around 4,000B (though bought back home) less than a year ago new.

Still works fine.

Can do everything every other smart phone can do.

• Like 1

sounds like both of you want to control her fate. I personally admire the kid for knowing what she wants.

To ride a bike illegally. coffee1.gif .....................Gawd 'elp us.................rolleyes.gif

i didn't say i would give it to her. I said i admire her for sticking to her guns.

Also, i have no idea where this takes place, but where i come from alot of rural kids are driving and riding dirt bikes etc at 12-13 years old.

No need for a 14 year old to have a 10k smart phone especially in Thailand.

I'm twice that age and my Samsung smart phone cost around 4,000B (though bought back home) less than a year ago new.

Still works fine.

Can do everything every other smart phone can do.

can it now?