British Tourist Arrested For Theft In Pattaya

Rimmer

Why do we insist on slamming nationalities when something like this happens? The guy didn't steal because he's a Brit. A lot more likely that some twisted combination of faulty thinking, poor decision making and loss of perspective led him into becoming a thief. What passport he's carrying has nothing to do with it.

Edited by marell
  • Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a nice little stay in a Thai jail and send him home.

There must be a good chance that he hasnt got the money to fly home, id bet there are many like this who are stuck in Thailand.

Yes it look like the story of the italian get caught last week stealing hundred Bhat from a temple in Phuket. they can be send back to home only if they commit a crime so that why they get caught for so small amount of swag. at least I think so

Just another typical Brit in Thailand.

Im a typical Brit and if i was to steal i'd go somewhere much more upmarket then this.

Judging by his low standards he's probably an Aussie, European or American trying to pass himself of as one of the chosen race.

He is a naturalized native born Russian!

How does petty theft from a Supermarket make it into the press.

When i was 7 i used to steal parachute soldiers from a shop by throwing them out the shop window to a mate who caught them sailing to the ground, i'd be famous for my crimes if i grew up in Pattaya.

"How does petty theft from a Supermarket make it into the press"

Because it was a farang doing it and a chance to show up a farang in the media comitting a crime is too much to turn down.

I'm not even sure he's farang (by the 'technical' definition of that word). Looks ethnic Indian to me ... in fact, looks like a good Indian friend of mine (who is not in Thailand at the moment!). John is a very common surname among Christians in India (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_%28surname%29). Foreigner and Brit, but perhaps not farang. So maybe you can rest a little easier know the media is not gunning just for you...

From one Brit to Another- Hope you get what coming to you. Its no wonder we are hated all over the world.

You been "all over the world" and checked this then? Or just sounding off?

Just another one who opens his mouth before opening his mind . . .

People who find people "hate Brits wherever they go" obviously fail to think that it might be their behaviour that attracts this "hatred" - otherwise wouldnt we (Brits) all feel like this?

From one Brit to Another- Hope you get what coming to you. Its no wonder we are hated all over the world.

I think your hated because you tried colonizing the world and telling everyone what to do.. kinda like what america does today.

It is actually nonsense people do not normally hate other people because of where they are from - they may hate their governments but I have always found people friendly and likeable wherever I go. Even when people do say they hate Brits, yanks whoever - they are usually referring just to the small groups of people who behave badly it doesnt mean they will judge every brit in that way. Though I wonder sometimes when I hear people on here decrying their host country declaring that everyone is out to rip them off

There are % of persons of a multitude of countries that are disliked for different reasons.

There are some objectionable beer swillers/Brits in tourist destinations, sorry to say, but other countries have the same problem.

I had experience of 5 star + hotel in London and the USA citizens were the ones that stole from the hotel most, but that didn't make them hated worldwide.

Some people are born Magpies.

"Some people are born Magpies"

Hope that's not a reference to Geordies. I know many can be rough around the edges, but they are normally better than robbing in Big C.

tongue.png

Nope I wouldn't slag a neighbour off, Up the IRON, sunny Scunny.

He probably thought he could bluster his way out of it. I mean how dare a local question him, they should always defer to him.

See that happen all the time to farangs in LoS, a sense of superiority and entitlement. Modern day sahibs.

• Like 1

Ive had some weirdo befriend me doing the same, i would have hit him when he asked for money if he didnt do the off!

But a flight costs 400 pound, a few changs cost 100 baht, thus If you can't afford a plane ticket you can afford beer.

The criminal mind at work. In the case of many Thais it is Money No. 1. Apparently in your mind beer gets top priority.

I rarely drink, but a good attempt at having a pop!

The law is the law no matter what country you are in stealing is a crime, where some countries have very harsh penalties. Having no money for food and stealing food to survive is totally different that stealing clothes; thus he knew what he was doing and should be treated in that context.

Actually the law is a little bit different here, its whatever "they" want it to be.

I'm not even sure he's farang (by the 'technical' definition of that word). Looks ethnic Indian to me ... in fact, looks like a good Indian friend of mine (who is not in Thailand at the moment!). John is a very common surname among Christians in India (http://en.wikipedia..../John_(surname)). Foreigner and Brit, but perhaps not farang. So maybe you can rest a little easier know the media is not gunning just for you...

Wow ! Brings a new meaning to the word "feeble"................clap2.gif

I'm not even sure he's farang (by the 'technical' definition of that word). Looks ethnic Indian to me ... in fact, looks like a good Indian friend of mine (who is not in Thailand at the moment!). John is a very common surname among Christians in India (http://en.wikipedia..../John_(surname)). Foreigner and Brit, but perhaps not farang. So maybe you can rest a little easier know the media is not gunning just for you...

Wow ! Brings a new meaning to the word "feeble"................clap2.gif

Do explain, especially if you're going to quote me without the post I was responding to.

Someone (you?) said this is another example of Thais gunning for farangs. I simply pointed out that this person was quite possibly not farang (although clearly British), thereby undermining the logic of the poster's statement. So why feeble? If they had arrested an African American with a US passport, would it make sense to say "look, they're going after us farangs again". I mostly travel through Thailand with Indian friends. The Thais make a clear distinction between Indians and farangs (which may come from the word 'farangsayt'... 'Frank' ... i.e., French/European). So if the Thais are going after farangs, this incident may not be proof of it. Please read more carefully next time and keep things in their context... your removal of the post to which I was responding was intentionally misleading