Thai education: Action plans for key policies

webfact

EDUCATION
Action plans for key policies

The Nation

30214100-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) has formulated action plans for Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang's two key policies - tackling illiteracy and developing analytical thinking skills - which he will consider and announce tomorrow.

Obec chief Chinnapat Bhumirat said the illiteracy-tackling policy aimed to develop writing skills in Prathom 3- and 6-level students, so that by the end of this year all 1.6 million such students would be able to read and write.

Obec has formulated a tool to assess the students' reading and writing skills, he added. The tool will be explained to all educational zone directors and educational supervisors, so that they can identify children with reading and writing problems before the school term ends this month - and then get them trained during the school break.

Under the analytical thinking-skill policy to boost Thailand's Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) score, Obec will propose the names of teachers to be assessed and trained in three courses - thinking-skill theory, theory implementation in class lessons, and student assessment guidelines.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-04

How many times do we have to read the same old 'we are going to improve/ upgrade/ revamp the Thai education system' claptrap before anything actually changes for the better?

I feel another waste of time budget allocation and committee set up coming on.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

One of the major problems is how to police the idea.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have told a teacher that many students can't read English, this being P6 kids in a good school too. The usual answer I get is " yes, I know. He/she can't read Thai either". The teacher saying this with a grin on their face.

Yet at the end of the term they get a grade.

• Like 1

...and developing analytical thinking skills

Will be interesting to see this put into practice.

Thai kids are taught from such a young age to do everything with their friends and this must-have-friend-near-all-the-time mentality that they are taught now, will conflict with this new, western teaching style. Even uni kids find it hard to 'kid eng' think alone, work it out alone way of learning, not just because of ability but from what is lodged deep inside their thought process.

As a PhD, Doctorate in Education and principal for 12 years in the USA, I Was basically employed because of my Experience in the undergraduate level of teaching reading to freshman, sophomores, and several juniors at the University in the USA.

From my research of several of the Thai institutions located in my surrounding, in Chiangmai, I have found that they are trying to take the foreign administrators out of the system. Just look at the photo and where do you see a foreigner? I am not saying necessarily there is a prejudice going on, however, I do feel that they would prefer Asians to be in the classroom whether qualified or not!

I was teaching the advanced level of reading and writing at the private university. A student came up to me, 23 years old and requested if I could tutor her in critical skills. Her regular tutor explained that Thailand does not teach these skills. I replied," tell your tutor he is 100 % correct." Unfortunately, I had to decline her request. These skills must be taught on a primary level as a starting point.

I am somewhat envious of the Thailand approach to training of teachers for a three course methodology of teaching these specific skills. That would have saved me so many years of being in the classroom! Please excuse my sarcasm. I have lived in Thailand not necessarily as many years as many ex pats, But this totally befuddles me on how they can take these what I call mini courses and learn so much in three individual courses or a six-week period of time. Mastery is based on 80% knowledge!

I am not judging the Thai Philosophy, however, this is totally impractical and an insult to one's intelligence. As a prior principal there's no way in the world that I could see 1.6 million people learning how to read and write when the parents are Illiterate in English and the only instruction the students will receive will be approximately five periods per week!

In conclusion, I have found that teaching is not as easy as many believe it to be, this TOEFL test that everyone is talking about in which I have the TOEFL book in my home, does not identify a good nor Proficient teacher. Having a PhD in curriculum I would truly enjoy seeing how the students would achieve this goal and what diagnostic test Would they be using to determine the results of this of these 1.6 million students.

Please package this ideology because you can make so many millions if this would become successful

Why go for TOEFL when it is much easier to score 500 in TOEIC.

What do you expect when many of the political leaders of the country have fake PhDs and masters degrees. Chalerm now has a PhD but when he exiled himself to Denmark in the 90s he was totally unable to communicate in English. Banharn has a masters degree for which he quoted extensively from French sources in his thesis despite not knowing a single word of the language and knowing only "Herro Mrs Kwin" in English, carefully practised for when he hosted QEIIs visit to Thailand as PM.