Windows 8 beats Vista's adoption rate in its first year

webfact

Windows 8 beats Vista's adoption rate in its first year
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Microsoft got some good news this week when metrics company Net Applications said Windows 8's user share in August is now larger than Vista's at the same point in the latter's post-launch timeline.

Windows 8's user share of all PCs running Windows, a tally that included Windows 8.1, the update slated to ship next month, jumped to 8.4 percent in August 2013, Net Applications said Sunday.

The 2.5-point gain was a single-month record for the struggling operating system, and more than double the previous record set in June.

Full story: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048006/windows-8-beats-vistas-adoption-rate-in-its-first-year.html

-- PCWorld 2013-09-05

I don't know if I would want to be comparing myself to the Vista failure...saying Win 8 is doing a little better than what Vista did. Gosh, I said that "Vista" word...Oh my god I said it three times!....I gotta go wash my mouth out now.

Edited by Pib

That would include a lot of unsold inventory - including tablets (which was the cause of a 1Billion dollar write-down). There are many ways to rig the numbers. What is indicative of a failure, is that Steve Balmer was FORCED-OUT partly on Windows 8 (or Vista-2 as they are calling it). Even fewer companies are considering Windows 8, than were considering Vista. If Microsoft does not get it's act together companies will still be refusing to upgrade 12 years from now.

I went straight to Windows 7 from XP, skipped that disaster Vista altogether. I'd also want to avoid Win 8 when its time to get a new computer... Why would I want to have a tablet interface on my laptop or desktop?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Isn't it funny that they did not quote win 8 adoption rate from windows 7 by comparison to vista to win 7 which was astronomical!

If you got 7, hang on to it! You probably need to keep it for another 5 years before Microsoft come out with another real operating system.

So where can I buy a Windows 7 totally genuine package in Chiang Mai?

I've asked around but always get the same answer 'finished'. Many places have tried to sell me a Windows 8 package but that's not what I want.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

I've asked around but always get the same answer 'finished'. Many places have tried to sell me a Windows 8 package but that's not what I want.

Thanks.

I don't know about Chiang Mai but I had exactly this same problem in Pattaya - no genuine WIn7 to be had. I ended up getting a dodgy rip-off copy and when this failed, after 30 days, bought a genuine key on-line from Microsoft. This was sent by email and worked immediately but they subsequently posted a set of genuine disks to me anyway - both 32 and 64 bit. I am now strictly legal.

So, this is one way of doing it but you will have to pay the regular price for the key - about 7000 Baht for Win7 Ultimate.

DM

• Like 1

Yes, Windows 8 is a technical advance, for the Coporate Police State of Amerika. Microsoft built in a backdoor for the gov't. so they don't have to work too hard to see what you are doing. Nice folks over there at the government branch of Microsoft.

Same shit...

More idiots...

Better success...

Apple will get more customers again even I hate captive systems as the "iWorld"

When will I learn commands to be a Linux geek?

I will stay on my XP, Se7en and Androids for now!

That would include a lot of unsold inventory - including tablets (which was the cause of a 1Billion dollar write-down). There are many ways to rig the numbers. What is indicative of a failure, is that Steve Balmer was FORCED-OUT partly on Windows 8 (or Vista-2 as they are calling it). Even fewer companies are considering Windows 8, than were considering Vista. If Microsoft does not get it's act together companies will still be refusing to upgrade 12 years from now.

The writedown was more related to Windows RT, rather than Windows 8. (i.e. The tablets that ran with ARM chips rather than Intel/AMD chips). Plenty of people want a proper Windows 8 tablet because you can run real programs on it - like Photoshop, or in my case, Steam. (Admittedly, I think most people want something faster than an Atom, but cheaper than the U versions of a Core i5).

If you don't have a touchscreen and are already on 64-bit Windows 7, there's no compelling reason to upgrade a normal PC to Windows 8, unless you're adding large amounts of RAM to a machine.. (Windows 7 Home Premium has a 16GB limit compared to 128GB for Windows 8, and Windows 8 is cheaper than Windows 7 Professional).

Yes, Windows 8 is a technical advance, for the Coporate Police State of Amerika. Microsoft built in a backdoor for the gov't. so they don't have to work too hard to see what you are doing. Nice folks over there at the government branch of Microsoft.

As you can see from my avatar I'm fully equipped laugh.png

Same shit...

More idiots...

Better success...

Apple will get more customers again even I hate captive systems as the "iWorld"

When will I learn commands to be a Linux geek?

I will stay on my XP, Se7en and Androids for now!

In the last 5 years I've moved completely over to Apple Desktop, Macbook, iPad and while its a nice interface I hate iTunes with a passion. They completely control all music. My own recordings are the worst becuase if it can't find a "match" iTunes loses the plot. Apple is the Proprietary krap as Sony. Its <deleted> impossible to put my music from desktop onto my iPhone.

So will be selling the iPhone at least for a HTC or Samsung S4.

Also worth noting is Microsoft just bought out Nokia!

I went straight to Windows 7 from XP, skipped that disaster Vista altogether. I'd also want to avoid Win 8 when its time to get a new computer... Why would I want to have a tablet interface on my laptop or desktop?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most people did! Vista was a real DOG!

Forget Windows 8, just got 6 new PCs in my firm, we replaced W8 with W7, you can still buy the licens key and use a copy of W7. Drivers need to be updated but many firms on The Internet offer update programs.

Forget Window 8 unless you don´t know what to use your time for. Silly system but OK for mobiles or tablets but here Android and Appel are better.

• Like 1

Well hello Nokia,, Microshit purchased Nokia a few days ago so what will happen to the best phone in the world,, i still have my Nokia from 8 years ago and it's small and fine, i have a smartphone i use to play music so where to here from now i wonder but ultimately WHO CARES, bang on win 7 i bought in Laos, works fine no pompem.

Thanks.

You can try online here - Invadeit

Well My computer is 6 years old with XP and starting to get temperamental. So I have been considering buying a new one.

Problem is I am next door to tech challenged. so I was considering an Apple desk computer. I have a friend who is a big Apple fan and is very aware of my lack of skills on a computer. She advised me not to spend the extra money as I would take for ever to figure it out.

So my question is if I was to buy a new one and get the windows8 would I still have to relearn how to do things much as I would with an Apple. I would very much like to get one that I could down load movies from and music. Not sure if there is any more free music available.

All information greatly appreciated.

Your neighbour must think your stupid :P

I am tech savvy so I am not a good indicator, but my sisters are not and both have gone with macs recently in the last several years and are not looking back. Some people it would be more difficult to move based on specific software they need to use, but for most they use the internet, ms office, email, watch movies and that is about it.

- above software: internet (built in), ms office (available), email (built in), movies (built in)

Simply, if you were able to learn your way around Windows XP, you will be able to learn your way around Apple (most of it is obvious). The least obvious is the DVD eject button... which my sister could not find.... it is on the keyboard :o

It all depends on what you want the computer for. I am a developer so I bought a big computer (even if I don't need it most of the time; it is part of the mentality) - but it was purchased in 2008 and I do not foresee myself needing to replace that beast for many years yet (windows I replaced at least every few years).

Sister one bought a iMac - she tends to use it in her home office - has a wonderful screen and is all nice and neat with limited wires (as opposed to my nest of wires).

Sister two bought a Macbook air - ultra-portable - light and easy to carry around - about twice the weight of an ipad, but with more functionality.

For ultra-portables, the price difference between windows and mac is not great (sometimes actually favours apple since they have better purchasing power) AND the build quality is VERY VERY GOOD. A lot of windows computers build quality is atrocious -- some good -- but most utter crap.

Windows 8 is moving to a touch environment which I find quite stupid since.... your not suppose to sit that close to your monitor and I don't like hunching towards the monitor to pick things -- I am quite happy to use a mouse until they build a better interface. It is trying to be all things to everyone, and not being the best for anyone. If you stick with windows.... get a Windows 7 machine -- it will be supported for at least a decade longer.

I've been using Windows 8 since April on my laptop, it came installed on the machine. I bought Stardocks Start8 software, it's boots straight to the desktop rather the start screen and at less than $5 it's perfect Windows 8 is quicker than Win 7, I use use windows defender rather than an anti virus program, I rate Win 8, but only used with Stardock Start8.

Well My computer is 6 years old with XP and starting to get temperamental. So I have been considering buying a new one.

Problem is I am next door to tech challenged. so I was considering an Apple desk computer. I have a friend who is a big Apple fan and is very aware of my lack of skills on a computer. She advised me not to spend the extra money as I would take for ever to figure it out.

So my question is if I was to buy a new one and get the windows8 would I still have to relearn how to do things much as I would with an Apple. I would very much like to get one that I could down load movies from and music. Not sure if there is any more free music available.

All information greatly appreciated.

My opinion....XP is the best Windowsin in every way....If you have any problem, even any virus, it is very easy to get fixed by a good technician....and to get a XP copy if you do need to replace it. My wife got Windows 7 on her new computer..It is not bad....it is just a "complicated" XP....Apple computers are the best....for computers gurus and program's designers....Very expensive to buy and to fix. Will be a waste of money for "domestic" use.

Your neighbour must think your stupid tongue.png

I am tech savvy so I am not a good indicator, but my sisters are not and both have gone with macs recently in the last several years and are not looking back. Some people it would be more difficult to move based on specific software they need to use, but for most they use the internet, ms office, email, watch movies and that is about it.

- above software: internet (built in), ms office (available), email (built in), movies (built in)

Simply, if you were able to learn your way around Windows XP, you will be able to learn your way around Apple (most of it is obvious). The least obvious is the DVD eject button... which my sister could not find.... it is on the keyboard ohmy.png

It all depends on what you want the computer for. I am a developer so I bought a big computer (even if I don't need it most of the time; it is part of the mentality) - but it was purchased in 2008 and I do not foresee myself needing to replace that beast for many years yet (windows I replaced at least every few years).

Sister one bought a iMac - she tends to use it in her home office - has a wonderful screen and is all nice and neat with limited wires (as opposed to my nest of wires).

Sister two bought a Macbook air - ultra-portable - light and easy to carry around - about twice the weight of an ipad, but with more functionality.

For ultra-portables, the price difference between windows and mac is not great (sometimes actually favours apple since they have better purchasing power) AND the build quality is VERY VERY GOOD. A lot of windows computers build quality is atrocious -- some good -- but most utter crap.

Windows 8 is moving to a touch environment which I find quite stupid since.... your not suppose to sit that close to your monitor and I don't like hunching towards the monitor to pick things -- I am quite happy to use a mouse until they build a better interface. It is trying to be all things to everyone, and not being the best for anyone. If you stick with windows.... get a Windows 7 machine -- it will be supported for at least a decade longer.

Your neighbor must think your stupid tongue.png

Well when it comes to tech she is pretty close to the mark. I don't even have a smart phone I can't find one stupid enough for me.

Thank you for your ideas. I noticed you mentioned reliability on the Mac was better. This to me means a lot. I don't need a lot of different programs I am retired. So I am not interested in a machine that needs updating and possable replacement I am looking for a long range machine that I can do the basics on e mail and a few other options nothing serious. Just durable. I do like speed how fast is the desk Apple? I am the impatient sort of guy. Has it got a menu bar and a book mark? facepalm.gif

For gaming I guess I would have to load windows. Of course never to be connected to the internet when I am using it.

The iMac (general desktop) has probably more power than most people use these days. If you just want to take a look at the Apple computer you can just go to an iStudio store in bangkok (when/if you are there) and play around with one for a while.

Yes, Apple has a menu bar and "book mark". The menu bar instead of at the top of every window is at the top of the screen and changes based on which application you are currently using (giving a smidgen more screen room if you have more windows open). The "book mark" for applications is the "dock" which defaults to the bottom of the screen but I always change the settings to put it on the left side since the it gives you more room to work (more pages are longer than wider). I usually shrink it down a little then set it to zoom on the icon that the mouse is hovering over.

Maybe she recommended Windows because of games. I don't play many games, neither do my sisters (other than the odd iPad games). What games do you play are they the ones that require high power, if this is the case then a Windows machine would likely be a replacement since they are generally optimized for Windows platforms even if there is an Apple version available. Installing windows on an Apple computer can be a little more technical in respect to getting it going.

The iMac (general desktop) has probably more power than most people use these days. If you just want to take a look at the Apple computer you can just go to an iStudio store in bangkok (when/if you are there) and play around with one for a while.

Yes, Apple has a menu bar and "book mark". The menu bar instead of at the top of every window is at the top of the screen and changes based on which application you are currently using (giving a smidgen more screen room if you have more windows open). The "book mark" for applications is the "dock" which defaults to the bottom of the screen but I always change the settings to put it on the left side since the it gives you more room to work (more pages are longer than wider). I usually shrink it down a little then set it to zoom on the icon that the mouse is hovering over.

Maybe she recommended Windows because of games. I don't play many games, neither do my sisters (other than the odd iPad games). What games do you play are they the ones that require high power, if this is the case then a Windows machine would likely be a replacement since they are generally optimized for Windows platforms even if there is an Apple version available. Installing windows on an Apple computer can be a little more technical in respect to getting it going.

Many thanks to you and anugoon.

I suspect I will go for the windows as I am not that much into tech stuff. It' like learning to play bridge my mind just can't grasp it. My friend assures me I would have an easier time with my management of my pictures on a windows. Plus other things. If I was a bit more tech savvy I would be OK with an apple but now that she has moved there is no one around to help me set it up and if I run into a problem.

What I will do is have my repairman down load what I want to save onto my outside hard drive and set up my new machine with all the programs I can think of like down loading movies getting outlook express to handle my three e mail accounts and what not. Maybe he will know of a place to get free songs to put on a DVD. I know this is all easy stuff for most but it would take me for ever and I might screw it up in the process.

Any particular make other than Mac the best on the market?