Storing my 2009 Honda Civic 7 weeks

vagabond48

I did a search here but saw threads on very long term storage (6+ months).

Is 7 weeks is considered long term?

I also did some research on google but since the car is in Thailand, there may be other considerations regarding storage.

I will be storing the car at a friend. It will be outdoors and protected with a 650B cover (nothing fancy). I don't recall if it has air ventilation.

Given the amount of storage time, does the Thai small battery need to be disconnected to prevent drainage?

If the battery doesn't need to be disconnected, is it necessary to drive to the car during this time 7 week period?

I will wash the car but do I need to have it waxed as well?

Please no guessing.

Thanks

I forgot to mention it will be stored in Chiang Mai from mid September to the 1st week of November.

Edited by vagabond48

It would be best if your friend can take it for a spin once a week.

Mice have know to take up housing in cars engine compartment and eating away the wiring, that can quickly be very expensive.

Before my wife learnt to drive a car my Honda City was left for 2 month when I went overseas working.

Only thing I did was removing the battery cables, it always started right up when returning home and the wires were connected.

Edited by guzzi850m2

i leaved my car quite a few times for 5-6 month.

the best is to start engine about once a week, if battery not discounnected. also maybe check water/oil level, little dripping can case surprised in few weeks. but 7 weeks isnt that long, anyway.

as for waxing ( are you kidding?) my car is a workhorse, not the family pet, so, i dont do waxing.

I would not be too concerned, 7 weeks is not long but as others have said, bugs, lizards and rodents can be a problem, as can the cats chasing them, so don't park under a light and make sure your vents are closed.

Waxing is a good idea as is parking out of the Sun. A cover is great if if fits and is tight. If it starts flapping in the wind it will do much more harm than good.

Starting the engine weekly is a good idea, but only id you run it for about 20-30km at speed to get it up to temp, otherwise, don't start it until you get back.

• Like 1

Wouldn't worry too much for 7 weeks. What I would. Increase tyre pressures by 5 psi but don't forget to put back to norm on return. Buy or borrow a battery charger and fully load/charge the battery. Cover and forget. If the battery is over 2 years old you might have a problem but who knows. smile.png