Thailand to introduce e-Visa from 2015

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may simplify the tourist visa process. However, as others have commented in earlier posts, those of us with more complex issues...... Non Im O's, work visas etc. are probably going to be unaffected by the change. If we are included in the new process it will be one of the most revolutionary changes in modern Thai history!

A friend is a yachtsman who sails in the Caribbean. He told me about some suspicious characters that he met so I tried doing a bit of research for him. I came across an Interpol website which is really brilliant, in fact its so good that I'm amazed the the UK government hasn't banned it for infringing criminals rights.

Just do an internet search for "Interpol's most wanted"

http://www.interpol.int/Wanted-Persons

Not sure about that website.

I entered the name of the known international fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra from Thailand into the search engine, and it came up with a blank.coffee1.gif

A friend is a yachtsman who sails in the Caribbean.  He told me about some suspicious characters that he met so I tried doing a bit of research for him.  I came across an Interpol website which is really brilliant, in fact its so good that I'm amazed the the UK government hasn't banned it for infringing criminals rights.

Just do an internet search for "Interpol's most wanted"

http://www.interpol.int/Wanted-Persons

Not sure about that website.

I entered the name of the known international fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra from Thailand into the search engine, and it came up with a blank.Posted Image

That is because he is not one. Interpol and 99% of the countries in the world consider him to be a political exile.

How about closing this topic.

There is no additional info available so no questions that can be answered.

Indeed.

It is another case of a Thai official making an announcement without the essential detail being available. It is the detail that will determine whether e-visas will work for Thailand.

I repeat my earlier comment that for Cambodia (where there is a visa requirement for 30 day tourism) the e-visa system is perfect for all parties. Well, except a few border immigration officials whose income drops substantially.

In Thailand's case I can't see where they make e-visas work when the bulk of visitors enter on a visa not required basis.

e-extensions - now THAT is something worthy of consideration..........................

You could say that about every topic. Open it for a day and close. Most are useless.

What you are all ignoring is this quote:

"The service will be available to holders of passports from certain countries."

You are assuming it will help us. Thailand only helps a few Asian countries i.e. China, Sinapore, Japan. It is unlikely they will stop the expensive inconvinence they put us through.

And they cannot feel superior if we don't check-in every 90 days.

Happy days for some, a disaster for others.

If they add a criminal record check to the visa application as they do in some countries ( and why wouldn't they ) then some of these "notorious" highly connected thugs wandering about the place playing the part of the Godfather will be barred entry.

I'm loving it already. drunk.gif

Not sure where you dreamed that one up blether !

This is a simplified system and it works like clockwork for Cambodia (would work even better if e-visas were accepted at every point of entry).

HOWEVER, in Cambodia the e-visa system is only used for one month tourist visas - Thailand is visa exempt in those circumstances.

I cannot imagine that the e-visa system could be used for Non-Imm 'Ó's etc

One thing I always wondered, if you get an e-visa for Cambodia, does that negate the need for them to use a whole page for a sticker?

Yes... it does...

I did an E-Visa to PP last year... You print out the online visa certificate you receive, and take it with you on your trip... Cambodian immigration scans it upon your arrival, and then they just do the normal small arrival and departure ink stamps in your passport... But no full page paper visa sticker pasted inside.

• Like 1

If they add a criminal record check to the visa application as they do in some countries ( and why wouldn't they ) then some of these "notorious" highly connected thugs wandering about the place playing the part of the Godfather will be barred entry.

This is a simplified system and it works like clockwork for Cambodia (would work even better if e-visas were accepted at every point of entry).

HOWEVER, in Cambodia the e-visa system is only used for one month tourist visas - Thailand is visa exempt in those circumstances.

One thing I always wondered, if you get an e-visa for Cambodia, does that negate the need for them to use a whole page for a sticker?

Yes. You print off two copies of the e-visa and staple into your passport. One is removed on entry, the other on exit.

But seriously, I'm assuming the E-Visas thing is a result of the recent cases of stolen visa stamps from several Thai consulates around the world. I believe, our esteemed Foreign Minister started talking about E-Visas as a way to restrain the stolen visa stamps problem....

But it seems unlikely that E-Visas are going to replace the local consulate activities any time soon.

Well, now the MCOT report above says the future E-Visas will replace the stickers....

But again, for what "certain" types of visas and for applicants from what "certain" countries...

One can only assume, for all the other types of visas and nationalities, the free corruption market will continue to reign.

I suppose this will be great if you happen to be a Thai who has a dual passport, and you want to come and go without setting foot in an Embassy. I wonder if channel 3 knows of anyone in that position?

If you are a Thai with dual passports why would you have to visit an embassy?

I suppose this will be great if you happen to be a Thai who has a dual passport, and you want to come and go without setting foot in an Embassy. I wonder if channel 3 knows of anyone in that position?

If you are a Thai with dual passports why would you have to visit an embassy?

I believe this was a wry reference to the fact that the one of the family that owns BEC (Channel 3), Pracha Maleenont, apparently fled the country before his sentencing in absentia to 12 years' in prison for corruption, while Deputy Interior Minister, by the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders. Channel 3 reported the story about the e-visas. I think Thai at Heart was implying that Pracha might wish to slip back into the country using the e-visa system with a foreign passport. LOL.

Get it?

EVisas to be available for "certain" kinds of visas for people from "certain" countries....

Let's wait and see how the blanks get filled in before pronouncing judgment.

Meanwhile, I suppose it deserves to be said... Thailand, Hub of Copy Cambodia! xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

But seriously, I'm assuming the E-Visas thing is a result of the recent cases of stolen visa stamps from several Thai consulates around the world. I believe, our esteemed Foreign Minister started talking about E-Visas as a way to restrain the stolen visa stamps problem.... But it seems unlikely that E-Visas are going to replace the local consulate activities any time soon.

I would agree with that, in my view it will be introduced as an option, and will remain like that for many years.

I don't think there are any countries that rely entirely on the e-visa system? I would be glad to be enlightened about this.

If they can introduce e-visas by 2015, they should also be able to put 90 day reporting online or, better still, scrap it.

+1. Even better would be e-extensions of stay, but that is wishful thinking in the short term at least, I strongly suspect.

This change will presumably be of particular benefit to those who have to renew their passports prematurely because of all pages in their existing ones being filled up with visas and stamps before the expiry date (or at least those who are not allowed to add pages to existing passports).

So your saying the e- visa is just for a 30 day ? which is free at the moment when you pass customs. So if it is just for a 30 day there will be a cost involved that is the real reason for the e-visa $$$$$$$$ I am surprised they were not introduced earlier than 2015. Caps of to Cambodia & the Thais would not want to copy there system to early so not to loose face.

So your saying the e- visa is just for a 30 day ? which is free at the moment when you pass customs. So if it is just for a 30 day there will be a cost involved that is the real reason for the e-visa $$$$$$$$ I am surprised they were not introduced earlier than 2015. Caps of to Cambodia & the Thais would not want to copy there system to early so not to loose face.

He did not say that they are changing 30 day visa exempt entries. That must be your imagination at work. :rolleyes:

He did not say that they are changing 30 day visa exempt entries. That must be your imagination at work. rolleyes.gif

..... and more imagination than the official who made the announcement without ANY details. smile.png

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for the on-line 90 day reporting system promised by Chonburi-Pattaya Immigration Office five years ago.

They are probably waiting for a decision/opinion as to whether it would be allowed by the immigration act. Act says it can be mailed in.

But of course there are several offices that are violating it by not allowing mailed in applications.

Edited by ubonjoe

Some people are gullible, I will believe it when I see it.

Just like the one visa visit 3 countries, didn't Thailand opt out of that, afraid they may lose money with the visas being purchased in the neighbouring country. Not thinking that maybe some of those people may come here and spend money!!!!

The e-visas is good news for some, and extremely bad news for others.

Soon there will be an updated and more advanced system International criminal record database available to all law enforcement agencies and probably also accessible to the general public online for a price. Have a criminal record? Then it`s going to be automatically attached to your profile with your online e-visa application, passports, everything and the main system will be connected to the International criminal record database for automatic alerts to those whose names and details are listed in the database.

Also expect the cost of visa applications to increase plus the imposed amounts required in a Thai bank account by Immigration for non immigrant visa applicants to rise considerally, as someone has to pay for this and that will be us.

It may involve the issuing of a coded plastic card for identification purposes. A policeman can place the card into a special scanner and all details of the person on record will be displayed, similar to mobile car registration checks that have been operating in the UK and the States for years.

My guess is that once they iron out all the bugs in the system, it will be fully functional and in full operation by 2020, perhaps sooner.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Those of us with nothing to hide will have nothing to fear. If implemented properly this should be a good thing. Yet the devil lies in the detail which we are yet to see.

Indeed, the devil is in the detail.

If they make it as complicated as the UK online system you would be advised to pay an agent to fill it in for you.

The UK forms even ask if you used an agent or not but fails to ask questions to show that you are sufficiently tied to the country of residence and then refuse the visa on that basis.

If you don´t know what they really want to know, your application will be refused with weasel words like; On the balance of probabilities we don´t believe you have sufficient resources to maintain yourself during your stay without recourse to the welfare for handouts. or something similar.

Although you are required to provide email address and phone number, it is unlikely that they will contact you, they just reject.

If refused you can either pay and reapply, correcting any perceived problems or appeal. The UK general visitor application costs €114, plus a personal visit to the British Embassy that is geared up to take your biometric info like finger prints and photo.

The UK appeal system can take more than a year.

Like many things, sounds easy when you say it fast, let´s hope that do a good job with it.

This is just another form of eletronic tagging that has already been established, and the new advanced system will allow certain agencies, groups and Government departments easier access into the data base for those that subscribe to them.

The law enforcement departments will create their own local online records of those of dubious charactors, which now exist, and then simply upload to the main International criminal database. No need for any advanced technical experience and can be implemented fairly quickly. Just subscribe, upload their records and the rest takes care of it`s self. Then it becomes a case of tagging each visa holder electronically to the computer data base at Immigration, which is probably the most complicated part, but has been partly in operation for sometime regarding the bar coding of 90 day reports. Meaning, that as stated, the year 2015 should be no problem, although as I said previous, there maybe a few teething problems at the begining.

This is great news for me, but will not get too excited until more details of this scheme are released.

You've got that all wrong Cardholder, many countries will refuse entry to people with criminal records, irrespective of any rehabilitation law relevant in their home country. Travel by passport is a privilege, not a right. You cannot demand the US gives you entry just because you have served your sentence under the UK Rehabilitation Act. Australia the same.

We'll see how comical you find it when every major air terminal in the World is fitted with E-Gates linked to passports. This is one area of international travel that will not stagnate. As sure as night follows day there will be some magical international agreement drawn up under the guise of prevention of terrorism and access to other countries criminal data bases will become de riguer.

Oh, and a simple click to acknowledge that you have given permission for your record to be checked will be included on all E-applications. China is already getting ancy about people trying to get visas to visit from third countries, they are starting to insist you apply in your own country. There will be a clampdown under that poisonous banner which is..............

"We're doing all this for your passenger safety".

Orwellian? yes.......on the cards? You better believe it.

I will find it comical blether because the SERIOUS criminals will find a way round any system. Such Draconian (or Orwellian) measures only tend to hamper the average punter. Some poor guy who pinched a box of chocolates from Walmart, or the Dutch guy caught with an ounce of wacky backy in 1972, are the ones who will find entry barred whilst the drug lords (and chocolate barons) will no doubt travel freely.

However sophisticated the rest of the world gets, Chong sa ngam border will still look like a wild west frontier post and all bar Jack the Ripper will be assured of a smooth passage over the border.....

I concur ,please send the Chocolate Barons round AFTER EIGHTclap2.gifwhen the Mrs fancies a nibble

Edited by RubbaJohnny