Help to Select a New Router Please

Pigman

To the previous poster, be aware that buffalo N routers have a choice of two different firmwares. You get either a 'user friendly' or 'professional' firmware. If you use user friendly firmware you can't use DD-WRT, if you load the professional firmware, you can't use DLNA, BitTorrent or file sharing.

For me, a major deal breaker.

I haven't priced the Asus RTN66U in Thailand. I purchased mine in the US for $150. This is a dual band router and I am very happy with it. It also has two USB ports for connecting had drives, printers, etc. The 500 baht BBB modem/router is junk. I guess you get what you pay for. This thing is not only very slow but also has a short range, though you mention range is not an issue. I have also had good luck with D-link routers.

On my hunt for a new router, I came across this router. The price in Pantip ranges from 5,200-5,300 baht.

Possible routers on my list:

Buffalo N300 giga - 2,690 baht

Buffalo N600 giga - 3,690 baht

Several Belkin routers - Around 3 - 4,000 baht

Asus RT-N-66U - 5,200 baht

My main goal is to speed up the communication and transfer between my Gigabit PC and Gigabit devices (WD Live Hub, Buffalo NAS, Sony Home Theater). Actually I don't want to spent upto 5,000 baht to accomplish that, but it seems I simply have to replace my (perfectly working) True ZTE router with its 100Mbs ports.

I got the Asus RT-N66U

Great piece of hardware, very good performance and very reliable.

But the firmware is a bit "average", which is a bit disappointing for a product supposed to be the top of the line for home routers.

It works well for most needs, but for example there is no magic packet support and the word filter does not support exceptions (i.e. allowing one or more IPs on the network to bypass the word filter).

Edited by manarak

I live in a sturdy 3 storey house and havnt even raised the antenna on the D-Link DIR 600 router,

computers on all floors,

phone is also connected outside the house.

I think i paid about 1k perhaps 5-6 years ago.

Make sure to make settings security enabled wireless network (WPA)

ps bought it at tuk com

Edited by poanoi

Its not only about the router but also about the Internet connection which you did not mention to stream videos. You should have at least a 2 Mbit or faster connection. I would go for Cisco Linksys E3000 or E4200 etc. router

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just purchased the asus rt-n66u brand new off eBay for less than 4,000 baht my daughter will be bringing it with her next week when she visits for a holiday looked into buying one in bkk the price was around 7,000 baht it is a monster if you need the download speed for streaming at the moment I have a linksy 54 it does the job okay cat gave it to me when they installed my fibre optic which is by far the best way to go think the cost per Meter was 8 Bart and they had to bring it up 400 meters my monthly cost is 1'600 per month but got to admit I am well impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand