Phuket: Bt1.4 million raised for Canadian bike crash victim

webfact

and i guess this is why some people are shouting

for all tourists & farangs to have proper

medical insurance...

he should have known better than to ride a bike, does he even have a licence for that overhere ?

i tought canada was one of those wonderfull countries that had free healthcare ? why would they not cover him here? because he broke the rules, i guess, the stupidity one of driving a donorbike ?

I don't think it is fair to demand local medical insurance.Instead they should demand proof of insurance when entering kingdom.

I think Thailand has excellent public transportation system.All sorts of services everywhere from motorbikes to buses.Ofcourse night times can be a challenge.

Personally I choose not to risk lives driving drunk.Being on top piece of the "pyramid" here,allowes me to travel "safely" even intoxicated. Loads of people still work for 200 a day.So hiring a driver is easy and cheap.

There is no good transportation system in Phuket - iris run by the mafia and is horribly expensive. It is a disgrace to Thailand and maybe that is why finally the DSI have been dispatched to clean it up a bit after the Embassies finally got together to put a little pressure on. Well done the Chinese for having the balls for rocking the boat because the British Embassy is a joke so far as citizen protection is concerned.

The Chinese only complained of the scams with Jestskis, Airport etc. Nothing about public transport because Chinese tend to be package deal tourists that sit on a group tour bus for the duration of the holiday.

Canada has medical insurance, but you have to spend 5 to 6 months a year in your province to qualify. I find it hard to believe that the insurance company won't cover the costs, because he was drinking, I'm not saying he was right, but what's the point of having insurance if they have all these exceptions? I'm sure Mark never thought about it, because in Canada if you have an accident you're covered, drunk or not.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

medical insurance...

he should have known better than to ride a bike, does he even have a licence for that overhere ?

i tought canada was one of those wonderfull countries that had free healthcare ? why would they not cover him here? because he broke the rules, i guess, the stupidity one of driving a donorbike ?

Canadian government does not have a reciprocal medical care agreement with Thailand. I believe the same with all Western governments. Could be wrong, but I understand a few governments (e.g. USA?) do have local cover benefits for ex government/military personnel.

Canada has medical insurance, but you have to spend 5 to 6 months a year in your province to qualify. I find it hard to believe that the insurance company won't cover the costs, because he was drinking, I'm not saying he was right, but what's the point of having insurance if they have all these exceptions? I'm sure Mark never thought about it, because in Canada if you have an accident you're covered, drunk or not.

Checked my policy, group policy with Bupa, chances are the school has the same company and sort of same policy, which states that accidents caused by driving intoxicated are not covered. They mention the amount above which it is not covered.

medical insurance...<snip>

He did have health insurance, a Thai company probably, but is not covered for driving intoxicated.

cute wording in the article, indeed. no mention of intoxication being the likely cause of the accident (single bike "dodging something" and running into a pole), or the fact that the insurance policy is voided because of that intoxication.

wonder if the fam has sold the volvo yet...rolleyes.gif

and where are the pics, 2nd-hand accounts, contact details? 2 weeks now and absolutely nothing has been given. so bizarre.

I'm not surprised if insurance doesn't pay. Driving when drunk is illegal in most,if not all, countries in the world.

Just imagine how much would insurance would cost, if everything,including illegal shit drunken idiots do would be covered!

• Like 1

have you ever had insurance? or at least read the contracts? insurance IS exclusions. if insurance companies were liable to pay for accidents caused by drunks, then either A) insurance would be astronomically more expensive, B) there would be no insurance options for anyone because no company would stay in business.

people so readily forget that insurance companies are NOT your friend; they are out to make money. they make a 'calculated' risk in hopes of making money off of every policy holder.

<snip>

people so readily forget that insurance companies are NOT your friend; they are out to make money. they make a 'calculated' risk in hopes of making money off of every policy holder.

No, they hope to make money off the accumulated policy holders, not of every policy holder.

<snip>

No, they hope to make money off the accumulated policy holders, not of every policy holder.

that's the 'overall' goal of the business, yes. but they enter each policy with the goal of making money based on their statistics. the fact that a portion of policies end up being taken at a loss is not the intention; its the effect of losing to their statistics sometimes, to the law of avgs.

in other words, an insurance company never offers a policy with the intention of losing money.

Edited by samsara

Checked my policy, group policy with Bupa, chances are the school has the same company and sort of same policy, which states that accidents caused by driving intoxicated are not covered. They mention the amount above which it is not covered.

You would be right stevenl it is BUPA.

Good on the thais in this one for putting their hands into their pockets and helping this farang out. I guess they are not all bad.

My concern with this going public tho is that the hospital may now up the bill.

Where did you read the Thais are helping him financially, and on what basis do you suspect the hospital may up their bills?

My apologies, I just assumed that him being in Thailand, married to a Thai who helped raise funds, that Thais would have been donating. Silly of me for thinking such a thing and attempting to show Thais in a positive light. My apologies to all those that I offended.

I think the misconception arises from the fact that Mark is married to a Korean lady, not a Thai.