Thailand Bangkok One Way Ticket

Hi there,

My friend and I are planning to go to Thailand for three months from dec 2nd, booking with STA travel and flying out with air India. We will be travelling with a 60 day tourist visa (we'll do a run while we're out there) but unsure when we want to fly back, or if we will from Thailand. So looking at booking a one way ticket...

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times, but does this sound like its going to cause lots of problems with checking in a getting into the country?

As long as you have a visa no return or onward ticket is needed.

However dependent on where you apply you may be asked for a ticket to get your visa. If asked you could buy a onward ticket to a nearby county on a low cost carrier. They can be very cheap if you purchase them in advance.

That would entirely depend upon where you apply. Having it for 90 days should be acceptable. But it would be best to check with the embassy or consulate to confirm.

If you buy a ticket in advance on a LCC the fees can be almost as much as the cost of the ticket. Some people buy them and trash them because you can get them so cheap. Go to airasia.com and check.

Suggestion. Book a return ticket, which usually costs the same with many airlines as a one-way. I always do this to get my tourist visa sorted.

China Airlines, for instance has a 0 charge policy on altering the return flight, which can conveniently be arranged from Thailand.

Depends on the airline. Thai immigration don't require a return ticket if you have a visa but some airlines (Emirates for one) will not let you on the plane with a one-way ticket unless you have a 90-day non-immigrant visa. At least, that is what they specifically told me when I called to ask and they were unwilling to change their mind even though I pointed out that a tourist visa was good enough for immigration officials here.

Depends on the airline. Thai immigration don't require a return ticket if you have a visa but some airlines (Emirates for one) will not let you on the plane with a one-way ticket unless you have a 90-day non-immigrant visa. At least, that is what they specifically told me when I called to ask and they were unwilling to change their mind even though I pointed out that a tourist visa was good enough for immigration officials here.

You were told wrong. There is no mention of type of visa in the rules.

Go to this page on Emirates website and check.

http://www.emirates.com/th/english/plan_book/essential_information/visa_passport_information/find_visa_requirements/find_visa_requirements.aspx?NC=GB&AC=&DC=TH&TC=&h=76eca3851aae52ef5039fed71df722e1943f1

Edited by ubonjoe

You were told wrong. There is no mention of type of visa in the rules.

Go to this page on Emirates website and check.

http://www.emirates.com/th/english/plan_book/essential_information/visa_passport_information/find_visa_requirements/find_visa_requirements.aspx?NC=GB&AC=&DC=TH&TC=&h=76eca3851aae52ef5039fed71df722e1943f1

The information on that link refers to what the Thai immigration authorities require in the way of documentation, not what Emirates requires. I already knew that Thai immigration didn't require onward travel documents, but the Emirates rep. I spoke to insisted that they (the airline) did. I decided to get a non-imm b rather than take a chance that their check-in staff were better informed.

Edited by inthepink

Actually that link is what there check-in staff would most likely be using as it is there link to the IATA data base. Check-in staff are normally better informed and would not deny boarding if that data base does not indicate a reason for so doing. But agree it is very hard to get accurate information from airline telephone staff.