What's God ever done for us?

sustento

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what do you think God, if he exists, should be doing?

Well, obviously he does not exist, and therefor he can't do nothing about anything.

What WE PEOPLE can do, is putting the stop to this dangerous, hurtful charade that is religion.

By speaking in defense to organized religion, you give cover to all the evil that is done in the name of God.

After people stop believing fairy tales, there will be no need to ask what God should do about haters. The moment people stop believing, problem takes care of itself, peoples lives get better, instead of having religion ruining it, often to the point of suicides and murders.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree there - if that were true then everyone who doesn't believe in God (atheists) would be anti-discrimination, support diversity and equality, science, progress, etc. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and three generations of Kim's would seem to contradict that idea.

You don't need God as an excuse to do evil acts.

Creationism (in case you missed the date reference) is also becoming more popular, despite scientific progress as a number of studies of university students show - while they may not necessarily be the most intelligent/least imbecilic people, they are certainly the most highly educated.

Religious extremism is on rise in some places, sure, mainly in Mid East, and some southern US states, parts of the world yet to enter 21st century, or 19th even, so that really isn't strong argument. Religion is in decline, and science and education are on the rapid rise, even if some lunatics wish to teach kids strange fantasies about talking snake, dinosaurs walking the Earth with Jesus etc. Maybe you will find some numbers to support your claim religion is making gains in some places, I cant argue with that, maybe in Mongolia Jesus is making gains, but that won't prove my point wrong.

Now, the first Guardian article, here's a quote from the article:

"Dozens of schools are using creationist teaching materials condemned by the government as "not appropriate to support the science curriculum", the Guardian has learned.

The packs promote the creationist alternative to Darwinian evolution called intelligent design and the group behind them said 59 schools are using the information as "a useful classroom resource"

Dozens of schools in UK teaching creationism? You think that proves religion is gaining strength in UK? Please!

The other Guardian article:

"Earlier this month Muslim medical students in London distributed leaflets that dismissed Darwin's theories as false. Evangelical Christian students are also increasingly vocal in challenging the notion of evolution.

Leaflets questioning Darwinism were circulated among students at the Guys Hospital site of King's College London this month as part of the Islam Awareness Week, organised by the college's Islamic Society"

If anything these links show handful of extremists in UK are running around, doing what they have been doing for centuries, spewing their poisonous crap. You think they are successfully recruiting new members to their cult? I doubt it. Despite their desperate efforts religion is in rapid decline, science and reason are prevailing.

It is amusing that you used words "certainly the most highly educated people " to describe this sad bunch of extremists.

Creationism (in case you missed the date reference) is also becoming more popular, despite scientific progress as a number of studies of university students show - while they may not necessarily be the most intelligent/least imbecilic people, they are certainly the most highly educated.

Religious extremism is on rise in some places, sure, mainly in Mid East, and some southern US states, parts of the world yet to enter 21st century, or 19th even, so that really isn't strong argument. Religion is in decline, and science and education are on the rapid rise, even if some lunatics wish to teach kids strange fantasies about talking snake, dinosaurs walking the Earth with Jesus etc. Maybe you will find some numbers to support your claim religion is making gains in some places, I cant argue with that, maybe in Mongolia Jesus is making gains, but that won't prove my point wrong.

Now, the first Guardian article, here's a quote from the article:

"Dozens of schools are using creationist teaching materials condemned by the government as "not appropriate to support the science curriculum", the Guardian has learned.

The packs promote the creationist alternative to Darwinian evolution called intelligent design and the group behind them said 59 schools are using the information as "a useful classroom resource"

Dozens of schools in UK teaching creationism? You think that proves religion is gaining strength in UK? Please!

The other Guardian article:

"Earlier this month Muslim medical students in London distributed leaflets that dismissed Darwin's theories as false. Evangelical Christian students are also increasingly vocal in challenging the notion of evolution.

Leaflets questioning Darwinism were circulated among students at the Guys Hospital site of King's College London this month as part of the Islam Awareness Week, organised by the college's Islamic Society"

If anything these links show handful of extremists in UK are running around, doing what they have been doing for centuries, spewing their poisonous crap. You think they are successfully recruiting new members to their cult? I doubt it. Despite their desperate efforts religion is in rapid decline, science and reason are prevailing.

It is amusing that you used words "certainly the most highly educated people " to describe this sad bunch of extremists.

"You think they are successfully recruiting new members to their cult? I doubt it."

Presumably you haven't heard of Richard Reid (the shoe bomber), Samantha Lewthwaite (the white widow), all four July 7 2005 London suicide bombers, Kafeel Ahmed (Glasgow airport), Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebolawe (Woolwich) and those responsible for every recent terrorist attack in the UK (and a number elsewhere), all of whom were recruited converts.

"Dozens of schools in UK teaching creationism? You think that proves religion is gaining strength in UK?"

No, as it is a totally new phenomenon I think it shows that "science and reason" are being questioned as they were not a decade or two ago.

"maybe in Mongolia Jesus is making gains, but that won't prove my point wrong."

A strange but unfortunate example: since the fall of Communism the number of Christians in Mongolia has increased by a factor of one thousand.

"It is amusing that you used words "certainly the most highly educated people " to describe this sad bunch of extremists." I was describing university students in general.

With all due respect, I have little constructive to add to this discussion with you.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree there - if that were true then everyone who doesn't believe in God (atheists) would be anti-discrimination, support diversity and equality, science, progress, etc. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and three generations of Kim's would seem to contradict that idea.

You don't need God as an excuse to do evil acts.

We were talking about religion as a tool for few week to dominate many strong, suffering and misery that it brings to people.

I never claimed it is the only tool to fool masses and control people. Stalin, Mao, Hitler and others invented their own religions to repress people, but notice, their totalitarian systems didn't last very long, they should have learned few tricks from Jesus, his cult has lasted 2000 years, luckily it is crumbling now and will soon be gone as well, maybe few more centuries and its bye bye.

"You think they are successfully recruiting new members to their cult? I doubt it."

Presumably you haven't heard of Richard Reid (the shoe bomber), Samantha Lewthwaite (the white widow), all four July 7 2005 London suicide bombers, Kafeel Ahmed (Glasgow airport), Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebolawe (Woolwich) and those responsible for every recent terrorist attack in the UK (and a number elsewhere), all of whom were recruited converts.

I count 5 so far.

With all due respect, I have little constructive to add to this discussion with you.

Do you notice, when people start sentence 'with all due respect' they always mean the opposite.

I wish we could talk some more, but since you don't want to, lets part ways on a happy note:

This is very much on topic, I urge all TV members to view this, very educating!

I count 5 so far.

Which is why I won't be corresponding with you on any further topics.

For those counting, including the 9 above there were 127 convictions for Islamist-inspired terrorist offences between 2000 and 2010 in the UK; of those 88 were British-born converts.

I didn't realise that the Quakers or the MCC were hateful, vicious cults...

Nor I ... and I've been a member of the MCC for 40 years. ... or are we talking about a different Lord?

I think we may be - the one I'm talking about doesn't play cricket (not that I know of anyway)

http://mccchurch.org/

Acts 2:14

If there were already eleven was he the umpire?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...