wiring up an electric ceiling light - how?

a269652

so i needed to replace an old ceiling light. wired it up as i thought & the result was a blow bulb. can anyone advise as to the right way to connect the damn thing?

image 1 shows the mains wires, black & grey.

image 2 shows the new light fitting & wires. i connected one white & one grey to the connectors in the white square box, perhaps incorrectly.

thanks in advance.

20130922_141247.jpg

20130922_141329.jpg

You are missing the choke / ballast.

It's a big heavy white (usually) thing, once you have one it's:-

White to white in the ceiling.

Grey to one end of the choke.

Black in the ceiling to the other end of the choke.

I just blew my circuit breaker by wiring up wrong. Dunno, I built and wired two houses completely without problems in Europe, here, every time I touch something it breaks or it breaks something else. I don't touch anything electrical any more, even for installing a simple neon in the garage.

got two of these lights from homepro & there is nothing in either box that resembles a choke / ballast.

here is a shot of the old light, i guess i need to somehow transfer the insides to the new one?

20130922_184948.jpg

got two of these lights from homepro & there is nothing in either box that resembles a choke / ballast.

here is a shot of the old light, i guess i need to somehow transfer the insides to the new one?

Yes, those (ballast/starter) are what you need - Crossy left out the starter though but may assumed an electronic ballast. smile.png

Yes, those (ballast/starter) are what you need - Crossy left out the starter though but may assumed an electronic ballast. smile.png

His picture showed the starter holder, assumed he had the starter smile.png

Those fixtures always come without guts, a kit with tube, ballast, starter and wires (or an electronic ballast and tube) is available next to the fixtures.

Those fixtures always come without guts, a kit with tube, ballast, starter and wires (or an electronic ballast and tube) is available next to the fixtures.

thanks one & all.

just a pity that one of the 3 sales assistants that served me (checked the contents of each box) when choosing the item didn't bother to tell me or the missus. doh!

(i knew the tube was an extra purchase)

Edited by a269652

I've never bought a light with separate pieces. How did you do that?

Every circular fluorescent fitting I've bought here has come without tube or electronics, just buy the kit when you get the fitting. I assume it's to reduce the cost of the inventory and/or to allow the buyer to save money by transferring the works from his old fitting.

Regular fluorescents come with tubes etc.

Why doesn't the Op just transfer the old components to the new holder? That's what I do when upgrading fluro lights.

That's what I ended up doing. Not a problem but I just wish I'd known before I started the 'project'. Would have saved the confusion & a blown tube.

• 3 months later...

20130922_184948.jpg