Can I apply for a work permit without any employer yet?

Currently here in Thailand on a visa exempt ofr 30 days, I will soon apply for a Marriage Visa as I am married to a thai national, however, I want to work here as well. After I obtained the Marriage Visa, can I apply for a work permit without an employer yet? I mean is it possible that I have a work permit before I apply for any job?

Simple answer

No !

It is, as I understand the situation , the employer who applies for the WP which in turn is issued for a specific job in a designated place of work.

Given that there's an interested employer, however they are asking me a really huge amount of money for the work permit, is it necessary that the employer should apply the work permit for me or I can apply it myself?

Given that there's an interested employer, however they are asking me a really huge amount of money for the work permit, is it necessary that the employer should apply the work permit for me or I can apply it myself?

Inform the prospective employer that you will take care of your own work permit and see how they react.

If you are overly suspicious, tell them that you have gained a work permit within the last few days and ready to travel at short notice. Get a gauge as doesn't particularly sound right and always good to play them if you consider that they're playing you.

• Like 1

There is no marriage visa. You can apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate based upon marriage to a Thai. You can also apply for an extension of stay based upon the same reason if you can meet the financial requirements but you would need a non-o visa first.

I suggest you make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get a single entry non-o visa. You can apply for and get a work permit with it when you have an employer.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

A bit off topic perhaps, but are you assuming that being married to a Thai provides you with additional advantages other than being married to another person? Basic cost of a work permit is ABOUT 3,200 baht and most employers pay for this. Along with the costs involved in getting the correct visa (extension is separate issue in which you will have to have other financial requirements).

edit; wp fee

Edited by rct99q
  • Like 2

A bit off topic perhaps, but are you assuming that being married to a Thai provides you with additional advantages other than being married to another person?

of course.

if you're married to thai man, there certainly are advantages compared to women living in thailand being married to a foreigner. it's not very difficult to see why that is right ? it's normal, logic, totally understandable, etc. (not saying it's fair but life ain't fair, not here, not there). if rct99q doesn't see it that way then rct99q (still) doesn't understand thailand/life.

Edited by stickylies
  • Like 1

Cost of work permit is 3,000 baht plus 100 baht application fee. (per year)

One has to add cost of picture and medical certificate and for getting copies of some documents.

And then you have to factor in the "cannot" and "nohave" costs . . .

Yeah, skip this one. If they are asking for a huge sum, someone is skimming off the top. 3100 baht with the proper papers....don't be scammed.

Dear OP,

1). If the prospective employer is suggesting there is a substantial 'tea money' payment to get the work permit then don't believe it.

I've had work permits for more than 3 decades, perhaps 6 different employers. 'tea money' has never ever been mentioned and I have never heard of any other foreigner who has paid 'tea money' to the labour ministry officers to get a WP.

In fact it's not all that difficult to get a work permit. The documentation is not complex and the company 'qualifying' to be able to employ foreigners is not complex.

It doesn't need a lawyer or a specialized agent to prepare / lodge the WP application. In fact in many Thai companies who have foreign staff the WP preparation is done by someone in HR / administration and lodged by the company messenger.

However please note that there is a specific list of occupations which can only be performed by Thai nationals, therefore WP not available. That list is public and it's pinned in the WP comments / rules etc., at the start of the TV website.

2). Perhaps the 'huge fee' means the employer believes they have to engage a lawyer to handle it. See above.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

If you post your age...your nationality, and your financial situation...somebody may advise you what visa will be the most convenient....I also agreed that if a "employer" is asking you money for any reason....probably it is a scam....or not a good employer or a good job to hold a work permit.

Yeah, skip this one. If they are asking for a huge sum, someone is skimming off the top. 3100 baht with the proper papers....don't be scammed.

Dear OP,

1). If the prospective employer is suggesting there is a substantial 'tea money' payment to get the work permit then don't believe it.

I've had work permits for more than 3 decades, perhaps 6 different employers. 'tea money' has never ever been mentioned and I have never heard of any other foreigner who has paid 'tea money' to the labour ministry officers to get a WP.

In fact it's not all that difficult to get a work permit. The documentation is not complex and the company 'qualifying' to be able to employ foreigners is not complex.

It doesn't need a lawyer or a specialized agent to prepare / lodge the WP application. In fact in many Thai companies who have foreign staff the WP preparation is done by someone in HR / administration and lodged by the company messenger.

However please note that there is a specific list of occupations which can only be performed by Thai nationals, therefore WP not available. That list is public and it's pinned in the WP comments / rules etc., at the start of the TV website.

2). Perhaps the 'huge fee' means the employer believes they have to engage a lawyer to handle it. See above.

Yeah, good tips. I think he should be very skeptical. I have only heard of people paying for stuff like this when something dodgy is going on. All the people I have met working here, from teachers to expat executives and everything in between have gone in with the paperwork and paid the standard fee. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but haven't heard of it, at least not when it comes to WPs. Don't get me started on other documents at other offices....

If a prospective employer asked me for money to apply for a work permit I would drop him like a hot potato. Something very fishy there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's the reason I am not working as a schoolteacher today. When the school Head of English Dept, took me for my work permit at the Labour Dept, my work permit was granted, then the Head of ED asked me for 3000 Baht. I refused saying the school should pay it, the H of ED said no, so I said then I will not work for you.

• Like 1

I used to visit foreign prisoners in jail, in Thailand, every day, for 11 years.

The majority of these poor creatures, were incarcerated in truly uncivilised and hellish conditions. (Think Spain 12th Century). Most of their rights were suspended/removed. Most of the jails were more of a "business" for those in charge than a detention facility.

Most common offence. Visa problems. Overstay. Second most common offence. Work permit.

So many folks, PERHAPS like the OP, come to Thailand, fall in love with its Thainess in all things, including its people, climate, comparative cost of living - and make the mistake, sometimes fatal - literally of following the advice of a Phantom Zone character who told them, "You don't have to worry, if you overstay you can pay your fine at the airport on the way out."

Unless some official asks to see your passport first.

For those who don't know - a Phantom Zoner is one who is working illegally and or whose visa is in overstay. They are only half a step from arrest EVERY day.

Work Permit.

The WP fee is 3,000 baht and then there is an admin charge of 100 baht.

If your papers are in order - YOU can go to a Labour office with your documents - you may have to wait for 2 - 5 hours. Then it is stamp stamp and you have your WP. OK sometimes it takes a couple of days.

Many "Lawyers" sell a service to get a Work Permit. They will charge 30, 40, 50, 70 - thousand baht.

Employers, will ask you for a silly sum, 10,000 baht or a LOT more. You will never see your Work Permit.

Most of the Work Permit offenders I met, arrived in Thailand on a Tourist visa or even the 30 day exemption - raked around to find a job teaching. The "school" told them that they would fix the WP. Then when the summer holidays came around, with the last month working and two months holiday - the school would phone Immigration - and bang you were in jail - and the employer didn't have to pay a penny.

There's a saying in Thailand. It's a bit like going to the toilet. If your paperwork is all correct then you don't land in the ......

• Like 1

I used to visit foreign prisoners in jail, in Thailand, every day, for 11 years.

The majority of these poor creatures, were incarcerated in truly uncivilised and hellish conditions. (Think Spain 12th Century). Most of their rights were suspended/removed. Most of the jails were more of a "business" for those in charge than a detention facility.

Most common offence. Visa problems. Overstay. Second most common offence. Work permit.

So many folks, PERHAPS like the OP, come to Thailand, fall in love with its Thainess in all things, including its people, climate, comparative cost of living - and make the mistake, sometimes fatal - literally of following the advice of a Phantom Zone character who told them, "You don't have to worry, if you overstay you can pay your fine at the airport on the way out."

Unless some official asks to see your passport first.

For those who don't know - a Phantom Zoner is one who is working illegally and or whose visa is in overstay. They are only half a step from arrest EVERY day.

Work Permit.

If your papers are in order - YOU can go to a Labour office with your documents - you may have to wait for 2 - 5 hours. Then it is stamp stamp and you have your WP. OK sometimes it takes a couple of days.

Many "Lawyers" sell a service to get a Work Permit. They will charge 30, 40, 50, 70 - thousand baht.

Employers, will ask you for a silly sum, 10,000 baht or a LOT more. You will never see your Work Permit.

Most of the Work Permit offenders I met, arrived in Thailand on a Tourist visa or even the 30 day exemption - raked around to find a job teaching. The "school" told them that they would fix the WP. Then when the summer holidays came around, with the last month working and two months holiday - the school would phone Immigration - and bang you were in jail - and the employer didn't have to pay a penny.

There's a saying in Thailand. It's a bit like going to the toilet. If your paperwork is all correct then you don't land in the ......

Good advice and one of the benefits tho not financial of working for a government school or University.If you do not believe schools could defraud employees and shop them for cash then you are in for a sharp learing curve in the LOS Learn Our Scams Edited by lopburi3
fix quote

Work Permit.

Thanks everyone. However, I dont think this is a scam because its an established international company and is known worldwide. They are very interested on employing me, as long as I can work with them legally. But they are asking for 30,000 baht for my work permit. perhaps there might be a lawyer involved.

I will go to Immigration myself, Apply for an extension of 60 days, and at the same time apply for my A non Immigrant visa based on marriage. Then I will work out my work permit, i will see how if I can apply it myself so I don't need to pay them that huge money. I will see what the Immigration will say on this matter.

Work Permit.

Thanks everyone. However, I dont think this is a scam because its an established international company and is known worldwide. They are very interested on employing me, as long as I can work with them legally. But they are asking for 30,000 baht for my work permit. perhaps there might be a lawyer involved.

I will go to Immigration myself, Apply for an extension of 60 days, and at the same time apply for my A non Immigrant visa based on marriage. Then I will work out my work permit, i will see how if I can apply it myself so I don't need to pay them that huge money. I will see what the Immigration will say on this matter.

You mean a Non-Immigrant "O" or "B" - "O" for based on marriage - there is no "A" as far as I know (there is an "AO" but that is for retirement and you can not work on it - no WP will be issued against an "OA"). See the process here (direct from the money's mouth so to speak - the MFA): http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/consular-services-20120410-204531-918186.pdf

Immigration will not give a crap about WP - that's the Labour Dept. (different governmental area - like asking the post office about your tax returns). If the 30k is a deposit to cover their costs should you pull out at some point or quit early, then that is OK (presuming you can trust its return - based on you saying it is an international company). Otherwise, its too much (10 X the money!) so query the amount - I wouldn't pay it unless it was coming back (at least within 3 months).

Just makes sure it IS the company you think (and they say it is) and not someone just using the name! caveat emptor

An " Established International Company" would have the resources available to both assist with your visa and WP.

And why would such a Company ask for 30000 bht from a prospective employee?

I have worked in many different locations around the world but have never paid money to a prospective employer

I advise caution the story does not seem to add up !

• Like 1

Work Permit.

You mean a Non-Immigrant "O" or "B" - "O" for based on marriage - there is no "A" as far as I know (there is an "AO" but that is for retirement and you can not work on it - no WP will be issued against an "OA"). See the process here (direct from the money's mouth so to speak - the MFA): http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/consular-services-20120410-204531-918186.pdf

Immigration will not give a crap about WP - that's the Labour Dept. (different governmental area - like asking the post office about your tax returns). If the 30k is a deposit to cover their costs should you pull out at some point or quit early, then that is OK (presuming you can trust its return - based on you saying it is an international company). Otherwise, its too much (10 X the money!) so query the amount - I wouldn't pay it unless it was coming back (at least within 3 months).

Just makes sure it IS the company you think (and they say it is) and not someone just using the name! caveat emptor

Agree, put them on the spot about the 30,000Baht fee.

No need to be rude or abrupt, just ask if there's a mistake seeing that you've clearly established there is a standard fee of 3,000Baht.

Their reaction will tell you whether to hang around or not.

Work Permit.

Well if the employer has asked a lawyer to assist, then two comments:

1. Lawyers will tell you that it's a complex process and without their help it could be doubtful, and similar stuff (in 99% of cases total bullshxt).

2. I'm aware of lawyers charging 30, 40, 50, 80,000Baht for such 'service'. Total and absolute rip off.

• Like 1

I have deleted a flame. Calling a poster a troll is our of bounds. As indicated in the forum rules, if a a member considers a post to be in violation of forum rules, he/she should click on the report button of the post in question and then leave the decision to the moderating team.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is no marriage visa. You can apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate based upon marriage to a Thai. You can also apply for an extension of stay based upon the same reason if you can meet the financial requirements but you would need a non-o visa first. I suggest you make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get a single entry non-o visa. You can apply for and get a work permit with it when you have an employer.

If a farang has a marriage extension and enough money in bank and applies for a work permit, does that allow him/her to work without a employer?

Eg working at home teaching English or Computers to friends, family and neighbors?

There is no marriage visa. You can apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate based upon marriage to a Thai. You can also apply for an extension of stay based upon the same reason if you can meet the financial requirements but you would need a non-o visa first. I suggest you make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get a single entry non-o visa. You can apply for and get a work permit with it when you have an employer.

If a farang has a marriage extension and enough money in bank and applies for a work permit, does that allow him/her to work without a employer?

Eg working at home teaching English or Computers to friends, family and neighbors?

You cannot get a work permit. unless you are working for a company or form your own.

The only privilege that being married to a Thai is a reduction in the companies registered capital (1 mil. vs 2) and possibly the number of Thai employees needed to 2 vs 4 to get the work permit.

The biggest advantage is that by having an extension based upon marriage your extension is not dependent on your job like an extension for working is.