Thai government 'neglecting flood situation in the Northeast'

webfact

POLITICS
Government 'neglecting flood situation in the Northeast'

The Nation

30215663-01_big.jpg?1380151485333

Opposition say bigger budget required, lists 10 key failures by administration

BANGKOK: -- DAY TWO of the Yingluck Shinawatra government's reporting to Parliament of its accomplishments over the past 12 months saw the opposition Democrat Party attacking the administration for allocating insufficient funds to deal with flood and irrigation issues in the Northeast, as well as for alleged failures in 10 areas including education.

The government insisted, however, that the number of poor people had been reduced, while describing the delivery of quality education as a prolonged problem facing the Kingdom.

The government was criticised by opposition MPs for seeking five large loans totalling Bt3.3 trillion. The sum constitutes the largest amount of loans ever sought by any administration, the opposition said.

The opposition questioned why, although the ruling Pheu Thai Party has 104 MPs from the Northeast, a smaller budget had been allocated to the region to tackle floods and improve irrigation. Some 35,000 households in the Northeast face drought, while only 20,000 households in the North face similar challenges, they argued.

Jurin Laksanawisit, a party-list MP for the Democrat Party, said the government did little to restore democracy beyond handing Bt7.5 million to families whose relatives were killed during the 2010 protest.

Democrat MP for Trang province Satit Wongnongtaey meanwhile accused the government of making a number of mistakes in preparing report documents, particularly on the 2011-2012 flood. Satit added that flood management was ineffective.

Rice-pledging scheme defended

On the government side, Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Niwatthumrong Boon-songpaisan defended the rice-pledging scheme as effective and beneficial to rice farmers. He said it led to an average annual increase in farmers' income of Bt66,000 and helped reduce the number of poor people. He vowed to continue with the scheme.

Meanwhile, Chinnaworn Boonyakiat, Democrat MP for Nakhon Si Thammarat province, listed 10 government failures.

They were: 1) failure to tackle the rising price of commodities; 2) failure to achieve national reconciliation; 3) low standard of education; 4) attempts to grant blanket amnesty; 5) failure to solve the problem in the three southern-most provinces; 6) corruption related to the rice-pledging scheme; 7) failure to solve the falling price of rubber; 8) failed first-car ownership and tax-rebate for first-time home owner projects; 9) adverse economic effects from the minimum daily wage hike to Bt300 and starting salary for university graduates at Bt15,000; and 10) huge government loans.

Chinnaworn highlighted the falling standard of education, saying there were now 800,000 schoolchildren who are illiterate.

Deputy Premier Phongthep Thepkanjana defended the administration on the state of Thai education by saying that the problem of illiteracy has been plaguing Thailand for the past six or seven years.

He also defended the non-enforcement of very short haircuts for schoolboys, saying any regulation must be sensible.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-26

"Chinnaworn highlighted the falling standard of education, saying there were now 800,000 schoolchildren who are illiterate."

I have no idea if this figure is accurate or not....but if it's an indication of illiteracy here in Thailand, then it's a national disgrace.....!

• Like 1

He said it led to an average annual increase in farmers' income of Bt66,000 and helped reduce the number of poor people. He vowed to continue with the scheme.

Well, if you "give away" money like that, it probably will have a net result of improving their income. It would be better spent however teaching Thailand how to be more competitive in a global economy, but what do I know.

Well , im not against it's principal , who doesn't deserve a decent wage for a hard days work ? the gap between rich n' poor the world over is growing and so will this problem unless there is a bit of fairness in the world, i can only blame ALL the worlds leaders for leading us to a future global conflict , why should anyone work for £4/$6 for a days work ? the failure of politicians is not the peoples fault ,...............is it ??; would you like to live on $6 pd ?

Edited by osiboy

He said it led to an average annual increase in farmers' income of Bt66,000 and helped reduce the number of poor people. He vowed to continue with the scheme.

Well, if you "give away" money like that, it probably will have a net result of improving their income. It would be better spent however teaching Thailand how to be more competitive in a global economy, but what do I know.

No way has income increased by 66k a year. My own Thai wifes family is involved with growing rice and they are lucky if they are getting the same as previous years. Labour, ferlizer and fuel have all gone up and the rate they get from the rice mills is nowhere near 15k. Last crop they got 12k.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is so easy to criticize others but not doing anything to solution the problems themselves.

These problems exists already a long time.

As far as I remember, the Democrats did little or nothing to try to solution these problems when they had the power.

The only thing the Democrats and the Junta did was give the army a salary rise of 100% which set the country in a major financial kickback and fighting a personal crusade against the "dumb" farmers and Red Shirts.

Before make such critics, clean your own front door.

No way has income increased by 66k a year. My own Thai wifes family is involved with growing rice and they are lucky if they are getting the same as previous years. Labour, ferlizer and fuel have all gone up and the rate they get from the rice mills is nowhere near 15k. Last crop they got 12k.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As always in Thailand, ignore anything the Govt. says, it's all lies made up to support their own positions. Stupid policy, stupid . . .

• Like 2

"The government insisted, however, that the number of poor people had been reduced". This is true for all the TRT/PPP/PTP governments. Through murdering thousands of poor in the war on drugs, the war in the south, the bird flu cover up, grenade and bomb attacks in Bangkok, and now regularly drowning them through repeated incompetence.

The Northeast may be a centre of power for PTP but it's also far from the centre of power so out of sight out of mind plus take for granted the sheep will follow.

They already tell the floods is because Abhisit didn't let them make the protection.....I don't know if someone can believe it....

• Like 2

It doesn't really matter anyway if the peasants get flooded from time to time. Buffaloes know how to swim and Subsistence farming is all they deserve, and in any case they will still vote for the redshirts - it just takes a 500 baht note or less to secure their loyalty. (as long as we make sure they never get an education)

This will run and run. A more efficient way for this forum to comment might be to make a separate thread for each of K. Boonyakiat's ten points (above). Yes, I realise its all been said before.......

My post is about the present. For the future (and past and present of course) Education is the biggest failure

For me the increase to the minimum wage is the most outrageous and unsustainable policy of the day.

IF it was 200 and now 300 that is a 50% increase.

IF it was 250 and now 300 that is a 20% increase.

Either way barking mad! All prices have to rise accordingly across the economy, and a good many rural workers used to getting 200 will now be unemployable at the lower end of the market. The evidence is already out there - far more men sat around doing squat, or forming demonstrations, when they should be at work earning 200 a day.... And the girls, bored, getting pregnant/married creating more mouths to feed.... (And I understand demographic projections are encouraging this).

Businesses across the board from the smallest restaurant just breaking even to factories will either go out of business, or, pass on the increased labour costs to customers - read consumers!.... And eventually a good many of those businesses become uncompetitive, and surprise surprise will go out of business.

International companies are looking elsewhere to base their Asian operations to ensure their Labour costs continue to fit their business plan models.

Unemployment is at 1% don't you know. That is the biggest lie which will bite the hardest just as soon as tax increases start to hurt, and empty mouths cannot be fed.

• Like 2

This will run and run. A more efficient way for this forum to comment might be to make a separate thread for each of K. Boonyakiat's ten points (above). Yes, I realise its all been said before.......

My post is about the present. For the future (and past and present of course) Education is the biggest failure

For me the increase to the minimum wage is the most outrageous and unsustainable policy of the day.

Either way barking mad! All prices have to rise accordingly across the economy, and a good many rural workers used to getting 200 will now be unemployable at the lower end of the market. The evidence is already out there - far more men sat around doing squat, or forming demonstrations, when they should be at work earning 200 a day.... And the girls, bored, getting pregnant/married creating more mouths to feed.... (And I understand demographic projections are encouraging this).

Businesses across the board from the smallest restaurant just breaking even to factories will either go out of business, or, pass on the increased labour costs to customers - read consumers!.... And eventually a good many of those businesses become uncompetitive, and surprise surprise will go out of business.

International companies are looking elsewhere to base their Asian operations to ensure their Labour costs continue to fit their business plan models.

Unemployment is at 1% don't you know. That is the biggest lie which will bite the hardest just as soon as tax increases start to hurt, and empty mouths cannot be fed.

I couldn´t agree more!

A 50% salary hike, not only for the minimum salary - but also for all other wages, will either result in a higher efficiency or uncontrollable price hikes, which will both lead to a higher unemployment rate.

Seeing the more than plenty of staffs hanging around in shopping malls, stores, streets e.t.c hardly doing anything, I would totally agree, that most Thai workers could be way more efficient, without me needing to feel pity for them. Half of them are only not unemployed, because they are cheap, compared to all other costs. And their main purpose is to lead you to believe, that the comnpany have a good service. Unfortunately most shop assistants have no, or only an absolute minimum of product knowledge.

i dont agree sir..remember,there is not one person going round enforcing this,to check what people are earning..wearing a crash helmet is also a law..but who enforces that,unless plod is a bit skint,at the end of the month.plenty of people not even near 300 a day..just a thought for all to ponder...wai2.gif

i dont agree sir..remember,there is not one person going round enforcing this,to check what people are earning..wearing a crash helmet is also a law..but who enforces that,unless plod is a bit skint,at the end of the month.plenty of people not even near 300 a day..just a thought for all to ponder...wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif width=20 alt=wai2.gif>

Well if the current government is so keen to help the poor why don't they introduce proper checking mechanisms to easily and quickly catch any employers who are not paying the minimum wage? And severely punish those caught?

By the way, I believe that the poor of this country (and other countries) are downtrodden and do need help. They need help to get themselves into asituation whereby they can have a better quality of life through their own productivity.

Handouts (actually aimed more at buying votes) is not a long-term solution. And the current government have never mentioned / introduced any long-term initiatives to gain any ground whatever. And they never will, it's simply not on their agenda and never will be.

Dont worry half the country or more know the government passed a flood relief bill and the unelected senators and opposition then placed cases in court preventing it form being enacted. It is still locked up in court now. Of course the Dems, their media mates, unelected senators and their minority support around the country will blame the government for everything without mentioning this rather important fact. And of course the government and political allies and the reds will tell their supporters who represent most of the country that it is the opposition and courts fault. And of course the actual voting Thai people will choose to believe the version of events put forward by the politicians that they trust. Reality.

If the opposition wants to win the votes they need to ever win an election, they have to stop locking everything the government do up in court cases. Whenever they do that the government has a nice convenient out of blaming the opposition. Recent polls have shown PT as having double the support of the Dems without even adding on their allies. They have also shown the current constitution, courts and media are seen as creating conflict by more than half the country. Let's just hope nobody tries to do anything stupid again.

Still carrying on about the 300b min. wage that was a year ago. all of the issues with that should have already been handled

Still carrying on about the 300b min. wage that was a year ago. all of the issues with that should have already been handled

Hahaha.... Bless.... Carry on watching. Understandably it may not have filtered through to the largest cities.......YET. I suggest you take a trip out to the provinces for a reality check!

Actually if you bother talking to senior management in Chonburi industrial zones where many many workers are employed you will find that:

1. They are having to pay Thai workers more than 300 baht per day as the workers can return to their villages and receive that remuneration.

2. They have no problem paying in excess of 300 baht per day as their margins allow for this easily.

This would seem to imply that those who actually employ hundreds of thousands of people and actually know whatt is going on are saying the 300 baht wage is pretty much a nationwide reality and that the fairer days wage is actually no problem for them. In fact many will tell you that it is good to see the poor get a better deal.

Dont worry half the country or more know the government passed a flood relief bill and the unelected senators and opposition then placed cases in court preventing it form being enacted. It is still locked up in court now. Of course the Dems, their media mates, unelected senators and their minority support around the country will blame the government for everything without mentioning this rather important fact. And of course the government and political allies and the reds will tell their supporters who represent most of the country that it is the opposition and courts fault. And of course the actual voting Thai people will choose to believe the version of events put forward by the politicians that they trust. Reality.

If the opposition wants to win the votes they need to ever win an election, they have to stop locking everything the government do up in court cases. Whenever they do that the government has a nice convenient out of blaming the opposition. Recent polls have shown PT as having double the support of the Dems without even adding on their allies. They have also shown the current constitution, courts and media are seen as creating conflict by more than half the country. Let's just hope nobody tries to do anything stupid again.

Total rubbish.

The government borrowed or got approval to borrow B350bn for the flood relief projects. They (Thaksin) appointed an arrogant ignorant idiot (Plodprasop) to be in charge. He went ahead, without the legally required EIAs and local support, to implement some of the projects. The opposition rightly forced him into carrying out the proper studies & hearings. All the delays are due to Plodprasop's refusal to listen to any advice and his inability to manage projects that he is not competent to head up. His one 'qualification' is to do according to his master's voice.

You are welcome to believe polls that have as much credibility as those picking PTP to win the Bangkok governor election. Also, if you have any idea about democracy you would know that checks & balances are an important part of it. The current constitution was accepted by the people - a first - and the CC is well within it's rights to rule on how it should be amended. The PTP of course think that an election entitles them to do what they like. They have learned that they can't - so far. Maybe you need to learn that too.

You could chose to believe the media and elite propaganda I guess. Personally I do not.

i dont agree sir..remember,there is not one person going round enforcing this,to check what people are earning..wearing a crash helmet is also a law..but who enforces that,unless plod is a bit skint,at the end of the month.plenty of people not even near 300 a day..just a thought for all to ponder...wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif width=20 alt=wai2.gif>

Well if the current government is so keen to help the poor why don't they introduce proper checking mechanisms to easily and quickly catch any employers who are not paying the minimum wage? And severely punish those caught?

By the way, I believe that the poor of this country (and other countries) are downtrodden and do need help. They need help to get themselves into asituation whereby they can have a better quality of life through their own productivity.

Handouts (actually aimed more at buying votes) is not a long-term solution. And the current government have never mentioned / introduced any long-term initiatives to gain any ground whatever. And they never will, it's simply not on their agenda and never will be.

H90 already told you why - because they can get away with not doing anything and blaming the opposition (Dems) for blocking their attempts to help - and it is believed. This is no different from the dark ages when the church promised everything, then blamed the devil (and burned a few midwives as witches) when it wasn't. A no-win situation that happens when you have uneducated people that are constantly brainwashed - Red Schools only propagate this. Old Abe's statement, "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time" doesn't seem to follow in Thailand (at least it could be changed here to "You can fool all the people you need to win an election all the time if you do it right")

Edited by wolf5370

I do hear sounds that in the Northeast the average wage is NOT 300 baht a day.

The prices on the other hand, went up when the Government told the minimum wage would go up, and again the prices went up when the Government indeed raise the wages to the minimum of 300 baht.

In other words, prices went up twice, the wages here and there went up to the agreed level.

Total rubbish.

The government borrowed or got approval to borrow B350bn for the flood relief projects. They (Thaksin) appointed an arrogant ignorant idiot (Plodprasop) to be in charge. He went ahead, without the legally required EIAs and local support, to implement some of the projects. The opposition rightly forced him into carrying out the proper studies & hearings. All the delays are due to Plodprasop's refusal to listen to any advice and his inability to manage projects that he is not competent to head up. His one 'qualification' is to do according to his master's voice.

You are welcome to believe polls that have as much credibility as those picking PTP to win the Bangkok governor election. Also, if you have any idea about democracy you would know that checks & balances are an important part of it. The current constitution was accepted by the people - a first - and the CC is well within it's rights to rule on how it should be amended. The PTP of course think that an election entitles them to do what they like. They have learned that they can't - so far. Maybe you need to learn that too.

You could chose to believe the media and elite propaganda I guess. Personally I do not.

Or you could chose to allow the government to spend large sums of money, without any visible controls and results. And you could chose to believe government sponsored opinion polls. PTP not done well in BKK governor elections or Don Muang by-election.

If the government are so sure of the water management projects then why didn't they follow the law, undertake EIAs, public consultations and ensure a fair and transparent tendering process?

Part of a governments responsibility is to ensure the laws are respected and followed correctly in all its actions.whistling.gif

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1