DLT offers training courses to Bangkok taxi drivers ahead of AEC

webfact

The AOT limos are great and I always book while waiting at the baggage carousel and walk straight out to a clean, spacious car with room for the luggage without it hanging out of the boot and driven by a neat and tidy driver.

I only wish the service operated to and from Don Mueang Airport, and where ever else I might want a reliable service.

Even pre-booking a cab is a joke as they so often call shortly before the booking time to say there's no car available for a booking made hours or days earlier. It's pathetic.

Training in basic business principles - reliable service - would be a good start.

My taxi I was in yesterday we were stopped at a police check point on the outskirts of BKK and my driver was find 200Baht because he did not have a blue shirt on, very efficient police spotting that I wonder who did the police awareness training course.  

And fools on this forum say Thailand is not a nanny state:lol:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is something I would have already expected of being implemented prior to them receiving that little plastic placard in their windshield. Out west in a world where I come from a Taxi/Limousine course is given over a period of 3 days (a tuition/fee is collected by local government) This course covers popular tourist spots, landmarks, 4-5*hotels, etiquette and maps.

This ensures that all independent contractors and owner-operators hired by companies to transport tourists and the general public have the basic knowledge needed to perform the simple tasks requested of them. (taking them from point A to B ) Its only logical that the local government would step in and take control over this as tourism is a major profit industry to some cities/provinces.

We all know that here in Bangkok we have an influx of drivers from the Isaan area that flock here for jobs and have no clue where MBK, Siam Paragon, The Palace, Lumpini Park, Snake Farm, Chatuchak Market, Jim Thompsons House etc are.

I went through 4 taxis and 1 on his cell phone to take me to State Tower on Silom. I gave him every variation that I could think of. (LeBua, State Tower, State Dome, Scirocco, SkyBay, Silom) He had no clue.

Chatuchak Market,

Theres your first problem, the jor jaan or chor chaan, in Bkk I refer to it as Jatujak, as do most Thais.

I went through 4 taxis and 1 on his cell phone to take me to State Tower on Silom. I gave him every variation that I could think of

I dont know how many hotels, nightclubs, tourist hotspots there are in BKK, but to expect every taxi driver to know them all is somewhat naive.

Next time tell him to go to, thanon Silom soi yii sip et.

You need to start talking like a Thai, eg Central, bai Centran.

This is something I would have already expected of being implemented prior to them receiving that little plastic placard in their windshield. Out west in a world where I come from a Taxi/Limousine course is given over a period of 3 days (a tuition/fee is collected by local government) This course covers popular tourist spots, landmarks, 4-5*hotels, etiquette and maps.

This ensures that all independent contractors and owner-operators hired by companies to transport tourists and the general public have the basic knowledge needed to perform the simple tasks requested of them. (taking them from point A to B ) Its only logical that the local government would step in and take control over this as tourism is a major profit industry to some cities/provinces.

We all know that here in Bangkok we have an influx of drivers from the Isaan area that flock here for jobs and have no clue where MBK, Siam Paragon, The Palace, Lumpini Park, Snake Farm, Chatuchak Market, Jim Thompsons House etc are.

I went through 4 taxis and 1 on his cell phone to take me to State Tower on Silom. I gave him every variation that I could think of. (LeBua, State Tower, State Dome, Scirocco, SkyBay, Silom) He had no clue.

Chatuchak Market,

Theres your first problem, the jor jaan or chor chaan, in Bkk I refer to it as Jatujak, as do most Thais.

I went through 4 taxis and 1 on his cell phone to take me to State Tower on Silom. I gave him every variation that I could think of

I dont know how many hotels, nightclubs, tourist hotspots there are in BKK, but to expect every taxi driver to know them all is somewhat naive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_of_the_United_Kingdom

Nuff said, or does every tourist need to speak like a local?

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 1

Chatuchak Market,

SO the intent of your post was merely just to pick at my usage of Chatachak verses JJ or assume that I expect every taxi driver to know the hotspots. Which my apologies if I eluded to that. State Tower, Dome is to Bangkok what the Empire State building is to NYC, in saying that, I do expect a taxi driver to know.

Also I don't "need" to start talking anything. If Bangkok wants to be the attractive tourist hotspot of the world as they are trying to be then their Taxis should be trained and diversified to deal with all languages and cultures.

You expect someone on a 1-2-3 week vacation to say "thanon Silom soi yii sip et" ? Yea hello!

I am YeaBiGgiEs and I have spoken on this day!

Chatuchak Market,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_of_the_United_Kingdom

Nuff said, or does every tourist need to speak like a local?

Exactly! Thank you for providing this link. I saw a documentary on this very same issue of what UK/London taxi drivers have to go through, years of training and knowing every alley, backway, sideway, parking lot, detour, diversion that exists without the use of a GPS. To expect a tourist to know anything other than basic greetings and the do's and don'ts of a culture is unreasonable and unrealistic. IF Bangkok wants to be the #1 airport of the world it better extend far beyond the pretty neon blue lights of Suvarnabhumi Airport

Chatuchak Market,

SO the intent of your post was merely just to pick at my usage of Chatachak verses JJ or assume that I expect every taxi driver to know the hotspots. Which my apologies if I eluded to that. State Tower, Dome is to Bangkok what the Empire State building is to NYC, in saying that, I do expect a taxi driver to know.

Also I don't "need" to start talking anything. If Bangkok wants to be the attractive tourist hotspot of the world as they are trying to be then their Taxis should be trained and diversified to deal with all languages and cultures.

You expect someone on a 1-2-3 week vacation to say "thanon Silom soi yii sip et" ? Yea hello!

I am YeaBiGgiEs and I have spoken on this day!

Far from it, your post was one of the first to actually list actual experiences rather than just make a comment.

You are also correct, you dont need to start doing anything, bad wording on my part (I apologize), may I offer a suggestion, start talking the way they do.

For some reason I was under the impression you lived here and werent a tourist.