How to route my thai net through my uk computer

daniel2183

download expat shield, I watch BBC TV, use BBC iPlayer etc here without problems. There are other proxy services out there but I used this in Switzerland and now use it here. http://download.cnet.com/Expat-Shield/3000-2092_4-75211377.html

Unless I am missing something it looks like you have to subscribe to the paid version to change to a country specific IP?

Would not let me into iplayer beyond the initial screen unless I coughed up!

download expat shield, I watch BBC TV, use BBC iPlayer etc here without problems. There are other proxy services out there but I used this in Switzerland and now use it here. http://download.cnet.com/Expat-Shield/3000-2092_4-75211377.html

What Internet package do you use? I get alot of buffering.

Edited by Maestro
Removed troll comment about baked beans.

You're up for the challenge.... ok so basically you need a vpn server on your uk pc and a vpn client on the thai one. Set them up with matching settings and password/keys/certificates. Openvpn is cross platform, widely supported and widely documented.

Google will be more help than this forum... especially since rules of the forum prevent going into specifics on vpn like technology. Hopefully this guidence crosses no lines....

If your internet has an upload speed of min 1 - 2 mbit in UK, you can get a router with VPN server (Like Asus RT-N66U and perhaps cheaper RT-N16 with new firmware). This may require you to buy additional hardware but power savings are great compared to a computer.

This Asus router uses pptp server (less secure) very easy to set up.

Alternatively you can buy a synology nas device (1 disk, 2 disks) and connect to your existing router. Synology also has openvpn/pptp vpn server application and you can use it like a personal cloud as well as personal proxy / vpn.

For the price of Asus RT-N66u, I would choose 2 disk synology for similar price for this job.

Use cabled connections whereever possible - having a wireless router to your laptop may be nice and hipster but it's no good for streaming.

Select the lowest iPlayer streamed resolution that you can tolerate, no point watching HD if it freezes all the time.

If using a Flash player increase the size of permitted local storage. Don't let the HDD slumber.

Using your own VPN to your own PC is the best solution - using free proxies etc does open you up to adverse situations.

Things like TOR work, but are connections that are bounced and the exit node is publicly KNOWN as a proxy - something to consider if you seek to do other stuff.

Another option is the Firefox add-on called Media Hint. I enable it to watch BBC iPlayer and then disable it as it slows down the loading of websites.

You can also use it for watching Hulu and a few other online streaming services that are usually region locked.

Another option is the Firefox add-on called Media Hint. I enable it to watch BBC iPlayer and then disable it as it slows down the loading of websites.

You can also use it for watching Hulu and a few other online streaming services that are usually region locked.

I use the same, works well.

Install Chrome and Hola unblocker. I've got a mate who watches the Beeb in Chiang Mai using this method

Or install the Media Hint add on to Firefox. Allows you to access the BBC iplayer no problems or fees.

Thanks for this tip matey! Just installed it and now watching BBC live from UK. Nice find :)

Have a good one......

Use cabled connections whereever possible - having a wireless router to your laptop may be nice and hipster but it's no good for streaming.

Select the lowest iPlayer streamed resolution that you can tolerate, no point watching HD if it freezes all the time.

If using a Flash player increase the size of permitted local storage. Don't let the HDD slumber.

Using your own VPN to your own PC is the best solution - using free proxies etc does open you up to adverse situations.

Things like TOR work, but are connections that are bounced and the exit node is publicly KNOWN as a proxy - something to consider if you seek to do other stuff.

A good modern wireless system can be perfectly fast and reliable. I've done away with all my cables, I stream 3D movies in HD via wireless now from media streaming device to AV receiver. And wireless from my Macbook to my router. Speed tests show no slow down compared with ethernet.

Ethernet cables have always been good. Wireless just keeps getting better and better though with new faster more reliable standards.

Unless I am missing something it looks like you have to subscribe to the paid version to change to a country specific IP?

Would not let me into iplayer beyond the initial screen unless I coughed up!

You do 4.99GBP/month if I remember correctly ... I looked this morning via a VPN and that is what it said.... just checked again and it says you need to purchase a pass to continue

t

To access your home computer and operate it remotely - Teamviewer will do that nicely and it is free.

To access sites tied down to IP address (like iPlayer) - privateinternetaccess.com - costs about 25 GBP a year and provides an excellent VPN.

Your biggest problem is likely to be lag caused by dubious lines in Thailand. You'll need at least 3.5Mb to stream HD on Iplayer and it needs to be steady. Often it is better to download the program using get_iplayer and watch it later without stuttering.

I shouldn't bother trying to set up your own VPN - its not that simple.

A Slingbox is the most popular device - Slingbox HD - allowing capture in the UK. Using Slingbox's tuning Software along with router call forwarding software on the remote PC enables UK TV programs to be received in Thailand. Make sure though you a good DSL connection in Thailand. See the website for further details. http://slingbox.com/ . Make sure you do the setup before LEAVING UK

If your UK connections has fast uplink and you plan to keep it on while you are away, the best thing to do is to setup a vpn server in your UK home and connect to it from here.

Im not from UK my self, but i know they are trying to censor thepiratebay etc. If they( bought politicians , and coppers afraid of losing their jobs ) crack down people borrowing culture and knowledge from the biggest marvel of human history. You could keep your internet connection in Thailand and do your downloading from thailand over the same VPN, it will however limit your speed to whatever uplink you get in Thailand.

to be able to stream iplayer in SD you need 1 mbit, for highquality you need almost 2 mbit. for hd you will need somewhere around 5mb.

PM me if you need help sorting out hardware and software for private vpn.

yes no need to faff about routing things to the uk, just get a proxy plugin - hola or media as mentioned above for firefox or chome
And dont forget - Netflix which is about 5 quid a month works absolutely fine using the above plugins, i even stream with wifi and it works well. beats True as you watch what you want, when you want without any ads or crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Unotelly is excellent, especially since it can be configured on a router level (it's just dns) so any devices can access geo protected content. We have the TV, PS3, tablets and laptops all running through it with Netflix and Hulu served as US and iPlayer, C4 and others as UK - very little buffering at all. You can also assign different regions for services to different devices, eg Netflix UK to one and Netflix US to another, though I have not tried this yet.

Originally I had 2 StrongVPN accounts and 3 routers, one with UK VPN set up, one for the US and one for Thailand, but now everything just goes through a single router and it's quicker generally since only TV related traffic is routed by the Unotelly DNS with normal traffic just routed on via Google's DNS service. It's also far more convenient since, for example, I don't need to change the PS3's network settings to switch from Netflix to iPlayer by changing the wifi network connection.

Having discovered the service I won't be renewing the StrongVPN accounts next year and have a couple of decent VPN capable routers for sale wink.png - the top Unotally package also includes a VPN service, though I haven't yet used it - very occasionally I want to visit non TV websites as a UK user though so will probably do so soon.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd