Affordable health insurance.

harrry

PR are entitled to bt30 health care

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was refused a gold card at my local hospital despite being a PR for 20+ years.

Surely the 30bt fee was abandoned some years ago, and treatment is now free.

Nick,

Which hospital was this and was it just recently?

As I am trying to keep track of what is going on.

This is a NEW program. The 30 THB covers any consultation, treatment and hospitalization, even surgeries....But....you can pay upgrades. It is the same plan and card that my wife and her family use....And again. Not age limitation, and for single or married farangs

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started this topic with the intention to give REAL, PRECISE and GOOD information about a NEW Thai government Health program for foreigners. I hope people here will not GUESS or ASSUME anything, and orderly will take advantage of something positive for many of us.

Here in Chiang Rai, the expat community is small and it is possible to apply for the card very easy and received in 2 days. For the government to give to us the same rights they give to Thai citizens in this aspect, it is very good. Again... no age limitation and not difference for single or married farangs. Please be polite, and do it in orderly manner and not creating situations with hospital employees that may lead to complains and to the termination of this plan. In same places like BK and other tourist spots may not be so easy when doing the application with other local "foreigners". We are also visitors to this country like them, and we do not have the rights to demand special treatment. Because this program is NEW I believe that many hospital may not have updated information, and it is NORMAL that you will get conflicted information sometimes. This is Thailand.

anugoon....I think if you look at who started this topic you will find it is not you.

Really.?.My e-mail showing responses and the link leading to this forum...It is OK......and good to know that other people had the same good intentions...I am not interested in any awards....

I started this topic with the intention to give REAL, PRECISE and GOOD information about a NEW Thai government Health program for foreigners. I hope people here will not GUESS or ASSUME anything, and orderly will take advantage of something positive for many of us.

Here in Chiang Rai, the expat community is small and it is possible to apply for the card very easy and received in 2 days. For the government to give to us the same rights they give to Thai citizens in this aspect, it is very good. Again... no age limitation and not difference for single or married farangs. Please be polite, and do it in orderly manner and not creating situations with hospital employees that may lead to complains and to the termination of this plan. In same places like BK and other tourist spots may not be so easy when doing the application with other local "foreigners". We are also visitors to this country like them, and we do not have the rights to demand special treatment. Because this program is NEW I believe that many hospital may not have updated information, and it is NORMAL that you will get conflicted information sometimes. This is Thailand.

anugoon....I think if you look at who started this topic you will find it is not you.

Really.?.My e-mail showing responses and the link leading to this forum...It is OK......and good to know that other people had the same good intentions...I am not interested in any awards....

Neither am I but if you claim that you started this thread and you did not it confuses the thread and is not good manners.

Great info

- I've been looking for solution like this for a quite a while.

Quick question(s)

1. You provided - copy of tabian bahn - I am assuming rental agreement is going to be OK and this is not limited to house owners?

2. You provided a copy of wife's ID - Can you confirm (best of you knowledge) that this is not limited to only fallang's married to Thai Nationals?

Thanks again for the post

It is for married and single farangs of any age.

Neither am I but if you claim that you started this thread and you did not it confuses the thread and is not good manners.

I agree with you. I posted my topic yesterday and I just checked and my topic was locked...but this link was mailed in responses to my posting. I do not know why. Sorry if was confusing...

The issue for who started the topic is immaterial, there is valuable information for the expat community (for once dispense with the petty bickering).

Yesterday when we first went to the hospital, some administrative staff stated that only the guest workers from Burma, Laos, Cambodia were covered by the insurance, other staff stated it was meant for all.. Today the staff informed my wife that yesterday the Nakhon Sawan office came in to explain the program to them as they call the main office about my inquiry, as I was the first "Farang" to apply at the Lat Yao Hospital.

To qualify for treatment at the Lat Yao hospital, I had to provide documentation that I resided in the area of the hospital responsibility (only residents of the Lat Yao area qualify for treatment under the new insurance plan at that hospital) as the property of our home is in my wife's name, we had to show my relationship to the property owner which is my wife..

A resident of Nakhon Sawan would be refused service under the insurance plan, (unless that hospital ok-ed the visit and agreed to pay for the treatment) at our hospital 'based on lack of residency.'.

That is my understanding of the situation, as I had been a patient at the hospital for the past 5 years, I paid for all care out of my pocket, did not have to be a resident, but the insurance scheme is based on residency.

Cheers:biggrin.png

Edited by kikoman

I have not read through all 13 pages of posters, so I excuse if this information has already been given.
I live at Samui and checked with the public hospital at Nathon about “Health Card For Foreigners”. The kind lady there said, that they were not yet ready, but should have an internal meeting about the subject in the near future, and that I can come back and ask in a couple of month. She suggested I had a private insurance, »much better«, she said.
A friend of mine gave me this information today with a link to Udan-News.com. I will not post the link, as it may be in conflict with the link-rules of ThaiVisa, but if you are interested, you can do a search on “en/law/health-insurance-for-foreigners”.
The page in question has the same information and advice posted at the beginning of this thread (bring yellow book or bring spouse, marriage documents, and blue house book if married to a Thai), and an update yesterday (25th October, 2013) stating that »With immediate effect all foreigners living in Udon Thani including farangs can sign up for the Health Card For Foreigners scheme at Udon Hospital at Nong Prajak again.«
Furthermore it says:
»We have today - 24th October 2013 - received an interesting comment, then phoned the insurance company in Bangkok.
The insurance company is the HIGTHAI - www.higthai.org. We have requested clarification from the company about for whom the insurance is intended. We were told that the insurance was designed for foreigners, regardless of their nationality, thus also for farangs!
Furthermore, we asked whether hospitals would have a quota, which would limit the intake of insured. They told us that there were no limits as to numbers.
Our contact has allowed us to publish their phone number in this article. If applicants are rejected at the hospital, then they could ask the hospital staff to ring this number; 025 901 580, and clarify with HIGTHAI that they should be entitled to apply.«
If any TV-members have some experience with this, it may be advisable to post it.

I called that HIG number and got a FAX sound. However, I called 025 901 565, which I believe is a government Ministry office, and Khun Siripat told me to go to my district hospital to request the card, and if they said no or didn't know about it, have them call her. I am retired. She asked how long I had lived in Thailand (answer: six years). That is when she gave me the instruction above.

Tom

PS: if anyone knows any more about the situation on Samui, please do share ... thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

My wife called this morning and they said that they will issue.

When we arrived we got a big NO.

They will only issue if they get instructions and funding from Suratthani.

She said if they get that, they will post on their website. (that I cannot find)

I've posted this earlier on this thread, but since the person from Koh Samui didn't want to read the entire thread, I'll do it again. The Wikipedia listing for Hospitals in Thailand shows the operator/affiliation. In the north, the only hospitals offering the new UC to non-AEC foreigners are those operated by the Min. of Public Health. I suggest the person from Samui consult this list and look at the MOPH-operated hospitals in Surat Thani, the province of Koh Samui:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospitals_in_Thailand

I've posted this earlier on this thread, but since the person from Koh Samui didn't want to read the entire thread, I'll do it again. The Wikipedia listing for Hospitals in Thailand shows the operator/affiliation. In the north, the only hospitals offering the new UC to non-AEC foreigners are those operated by the Min. of Public Health. I suggest the person from Samui consult this list and look at the MOPH-operated hospitals in Surat Thani, the province of Koh Samui:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospitals_in_Thailand

Government hospital in Nathon is operated by the Min. of Public Health.

"Listed in your link as "Ko Samui Hospital

hi again i mean queen sirikit hospital sattiahip does this hospital do this insurence?? thanks

No, the military hospitals do not. Only regular government hospitals and based on where you live i.e. you can't choose, you have to do it at the government hospital whose catchment area you reside in, same as Thais under the "30 baht scheme".

hi again i mean queen sirikit hospital sattiahip does this hospital do this insurence?? thanks

No, the military hospitals do not. Only regular government hospitals and based on where you live i.e. you can't choose, you have to do it at the government hospital whose catchment area you reside in, same as Thais under the "30 baht scheme".

That requires your house papers and your wife's ID card.

Important : your must be a resident in that Hospital catchment area, and to have treatment at any other medical facility, must be OK ed by your local hospital for payment. If not approved by your local provider, you will be required to pay for unapproved treatment out of your own pocket!

Cheers:smile.png

I would like to thank harry for starting this topic to help the expats in Thailand. I dont know you harry but if we should ever meet lunch is on me,OK.wai.gif

While I have my finger on the like button, I would also like to thank Sheryl for the countless hours she spends on here trying to help the expats and her fellow human beings.

If TV ever had an award for the hero of TV it should go straight to Sheryl, Im sure she has helped thousands of members here over the years.wai.gif

I got the card and is exactly the same of any Thai citizen and looks like will get the same medical benefits.....but....this is Thailand and everything can change at any time, or even putting in place in different ways for any people in charge.

Not will be a surprise if this new policy will not work in the same way in different provinces...Why? Well...using common sense...it not possible that any medical insurance will apply without limits in age, immigration status, and pre existing conditions, in any country.

I know that some private Thai insurance companies sells medical benefits upgrade for about 8000THB/year. This is for Thai people with basic Government medical benefits. We now are in the same category and may qualify for that. I am looking in that, and I will recommend to do it before our new "status" changes for any reason....

I would like to thank harry for starting this topic to help the expats in Thailand. I dont know you harry but if we should ever meet lunch is on me,OK.wai.gif

While I have my finger on the like button, I would also like to thank Sheryl for the countless hours she spends on here trying to help the expats and her fellow human beings.

If TV ever had an award for the hero of TV it should go straight to Sheryl, Im sure she has helped thousands of members here over the years.wai.gif

Thanks for the thanks. It is apreciated. Forget the lunch but if you are ever round I am sure I can russle up a coffee. Same applies to most TV members even the ones I disagree with....its a long time since my last face to face fight and now if I end up in hospital I am covered.smile.png

I just thought there were many who would benifit from this program as I will.

If somebody still with doubts.....I got mine October 28...They said that I can use it in other province's hospital in case of accident, and 2 times a year in other provinces for other reasons....I will ask around and I will post here if I get new and accurate info from good sources...

post-183983-0-07793700-1383218176_thumb.

If somebody still with doubts.....I got mine October 28...They said that I can use it in other province's hospital in case of accident, and 2 times a year in other provinces for other reasons....I will ask around and I will post here if I get new and accurate info from good sources...

Umbanda, which hospital was this?

BTW another TV member informed me privately he got the card at Ban Chang Hospital in Rayong. He was the first to do so, so it took some doing and a call to Bangkok, but the hospital would probably be quicker to issue it from here on, for anyone living in that area.

That requires your house papers and your wife's ID card.

Important : your must be a resident in that Hospital catchment area, and to have treatment at any other medical facility, must be OK ed by your local hospital for payment. If not approved by your local provider, you will be required to pay for unapproved treatment out of your own pocket!

Cheers:smile.png

You do not need a "wife's ID card" (or even a wife for that matter). As I understand from friends who have signed up in Chiang Mai, a rental contract is fine. They may not ask for that even.

Umbanda, which hospital was this?

BTW another TV member informed me privately he got the card at Ban Chang Hospital in Rayong. He was the first to do so, so it took some doing and a call to Bangkok, but the hospital would probably be quicker to issue it from here on, for anyone living in that area.

Chiang Rai...They also said that only are accepting applications from residents of this province..That's the reason they are asking for proof of residence..Makes sense. By the way, when I was back to get my card, NOBODY was applying for anything. All the process can be done in 10 minutes here, and nurses are happy in doing it.......Well...this is the "another Thailand"...the farang friendly one.

Edited by umbanda

I would actually welcome multi-level options. I would be be happy to pay A LOT more than 2k monthly for a better level of coverage than the standard Thai national coverage. However, if the coverage offered is the same, I'm afraid we had better be grateful that ANYTHING is offered to "f-rang" resident expats at all, even at a higher price for the same thing. Knowing Thailand, it would be quite foolish to expect "equal" treatment on a matter like this. Also, variant pricing can likely be well justified based on resident expats not paying Thai TAXES.

Signed, Mr. Realistic

In truth, I will be surprised if resident "f-rang" expats are offered ANYTHING. But most welcome!

Also note, before anyone makes the silly comment, just buy private insurance. Great. But they won't sell it to many of us, so that objection is answered.

It appears you want to pay X per month and enjoy a much greater value of treatment in return.

Insurance companies are for-profit entities; is it any surprise that they wouldn't be happy with that arrangement?

Edited by PoorSucker
Obamacare edited out as off topic

Kudos to the Thai government for making affordable health care available to its citizens! Yes there are inadequacies and problems, but I bet it has saved some lives and increased the quality of life for many. And if they extend it to foreigners living in the Kingdom, well, thank you. I would also be happy to pay my fair share.

Thank you Harrry....it is really worthy to give it a check.... has anyone already investigate or tied to do anything in Chiang Mai?

Any suggestions appreciated.

I tried at Hang Dong hospital a few momths ago had yellow book Thai spouse but was told I could not get on it Im just wondering if I should try again . My wife has it and used it many times

If you went a few months ago there would have been no scheme. This is a new Scheme not the Universal Cover scheme.

My district hospital is Ban Pong Hospital, Ratchaburi.

On Thursday of this week, I called the Ministry of Public Health number posted on TV and asked if I was eligible for the health insurance. I am on a retirement visa and have been living in Thailand for 6 years. (The lady asked how long I had been here. She got positive when I said six years.) She said to have the hospital call her if they said no.

The next day I talked to a nurse manager that I know at the hospital. She said they don't have that policy. I gave her the MOPH number. She called me later and said she had talked to the MOPH, and that her hospital still doesn't issue / sell the card. I called the MOPH again, through a translator, and they said some hospitals can't 'support' the policy with their budget and therefore don't follow the policy, and that the MOPH is working to make the policy more clear so that they can force all hospitals to follow the policy. No time line given. This explanation fit what I experienced and what I have seen posted on the forum.

I was upset, but my (Thai) lady friend reminded me what we had heard in a meditation course--Goenka--that we become miserable when we start comparing. She was right. It was mainly upsetting because some people got it, and I didn't. And, it was something I hadn't earned, didn't have coming, and couldn't believe was true when I heard it.

Edited by tjansen