Loan to buy a house for my Thai child? Kasikorn Bank said "sorry only for condo mister"

Hello,

I'm not sure where to post this but I'd like to buy a house either to my thai wife or to my thai child.

Question 1: how can I get a loan for a house? Kasikorn will only provide a loan for a condo. My wife could get a loan.. if she was working... I offered to be her guarantor as I have stable income, but no go.

Question 2: can I buy a land/house for my Thai child? He's only a baby so the real question is: Can a minor own a land in Thailand?

Thank you for your advice!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at it from the bank's point of view. The house would be the property of your wife or child, neither of whom presumably have the means to keep up the monthly repayments. You're asking the bank to lend money to another person on the basis of your income. The bank has to ask itself the question whether you are going to disappear off to farang land after a while and leave them with another non performing loan. Since a condo would be your property they have more faith that you'll stick around and keep up the payments.

I happen to know that the number of repo'd properties that Thai banks have on their books is a factor in their reluctance to lend money.

• Like 2

Look at it from the bank's point of view. The house would be the property of your wife or child, neither of whom presumably have the means to keep up the monthly repayments. You're asking the bank to lend money to another person on the basis of your income. The bank has to ask itself the question whether you are going to disappear off to farang land after a while and leave them with another non performing loan. Since a condo would be your property they have more faith that you'll stick around and keep up the payments.

I happen to know that the number of repo'd properties that Thai banks have on their books is a factor in their reluctance to lend money.

I understand. But can't the bank just resale the house in case of missing payments?

Any workaround for me? I don't intend to "disappear off to farang land" ^^

The woman who I talked to at the Kasikorn branch in jomtien told me that "TMB" bank might provide me with a loan for a house, anyone knows if it's true?

The best place for this would be in the 'Real Estate, housing, house and land ownership' forum. That is where I always go to discuss this sort of thing and get some good advice.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/59-real-estate-housing-house-and-land-ownership/

Thanks, went there, did that, got no answer. Came here, got answers.. haha!

IF you work in Thailand with work permit, reasonable salary, yellow house registration etc, most banks will give you at least 50%.

Usually, if you want more you'll be hit with a hefty insurance which is really just tea money.

It also depends on how long you've been married.

If you are in Pattaya it might be different for obvious reasons.

Minors can't own land until they are 20.

Edited by Neeranam

IF you work in Thailand with work permit, reasonable salary, yellow house registration etc, most banks will give you at least 50%.

Usually, if you want more you'll be hit with a hefty insurance which is really just tea money.

It also depends on how long you've been married.

If you are in Pattaya it might be different for obvious reasons.

Minors can't own land until they are 20.

Thanks!

I don't work in Thailand, I'm on a Non-O visa (marriage).

Stable income from business aboard.

Married for one year.

Looking for 90% financing.

TMB offers 90%: https://www.tmbbank.com/personal/homeloan/tmb-homeloan-en.php

Kasikorn only 80%: http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Loans/KHomeLoan/Pages/KHomeLoanKasikorn.aspx

The best place for this would be in the 'Real Estate, housing, house and land ownership' forum. That is where I always go to discuss this sort of thing and get some good advice.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/59-real-estate-housing-house-and-land-ownership/

Thanks, went there, did that, got no answer. Came here, got answers.. haha!

Sure you got answers, you could have posted in the I drink too much forum as well biggrin.png

Hold on.

You have a short visa, no Thai income, no security and yet you want a Thai bank to lend you 90% of the value of a house in Thailand that you cant legally own?

And you wonder why they tell you to #!%$ off?

Personally if I was a bank I wouldn't lend you more than 50% even for a farang-name condo purchase, but then I'm the sort of prudent person who doesn't cause global financial meltdowns, so what do I know?

Pardon? I have a Non-O visa which allows me to stay ad vitam eternal in Thailand without ever leaving the country by extending it on a yearly basis, and you call this a "short visa"? Are there any longer visas than mine and if so what are they???

Second, no Thai income? I withdraw to my Thai bank account near 100 000 baht each month for almost 4 years and you call this "no Thai income, no security"??? What exactly do you need to consider it a "Thai income", that it must come from a local company? What's the difference anyway? It's still money coming in regularly. What do you mean by "no security"?

Lastly, "if you were a bank", thank god you're not! Kasikorn already offered me to finance 80% of any condo under 6 million baht that I would be interested in, so the problem doesn't come from my profile but from my preference of a house rather than a condo. Also, you should know that money is created from loans, meaning that the bank doesn't see its capital impacted by 1 baht when providing a loan of any amount. When you "refund" the loan you actually increase the bank's capital. This is a complex (and sad) financial reality that I'm sure you've heard of a few years ago with the popular "Money as dept" documentary.

Cheers

Edited by Annonymous

Hold on.

You have a short visa, no Thai income, no security and yet you want a Thai bank to lend you 90% of the value of a house in Thailand that you cant legally own?

Personally if I was a bank I wouldn't lend you more than 50% even for a farang-name condo purchase, but then I'm the sort of prudent person who doesn't cause global financial meltdowns, so what do I know?

Pardon? I have a Non-O visa which allows me to stay ad vitam eternal in Thailand without ever leaving the country by extending it on a yearly basis, and you call this a "short visa"? Are there any longer visas than mine and if so what are they???

Second, no Thai income? I withdraw to my Thai bank account near 100 000 baht each month for almost 4 years and you call this "no Thai income, no security"??? What exactly do you need to consider it a "Thai income", that it must come from a local company? What's the difference anyway? It's still money coming in regularly. What do you mean by "no security"?

Lastly, "if you were a bank", thank god you're not! Kasikorn already offered me to finance 80% of any condo under 6 million baht that I would be interested in, so the problem doesn't come from my profile but from my preference of a house rather than a condo. Also, you should know that money is created from loans, meaning that the bank doesn't see its capital impacted by 1 baht when providing a loan of any amount. When you "refund" the loan you actually increase the bank's capital. This is a complex (and sad) financial reality that I'm sure you've heard of a few years ago with the popular "Money as dept" documentary.

Cheers

There are plenty of houlier than thou know it all posters like kitten kong around here. i'm just surpised it took so long for one to pipe up..

what are you saying? don't understand

Could the reason be that a Thai bank will lend you money for a condo and not a house be because you don't own land with a condo.

On the other hand, a house would sit on land that you are unable to own and the rug could be pulled from under your feet at a moments notice and obviously a huge risk to a lender.

Could the reason be that a Thai bank will lend you money for a condo and not a house be because you don't own land with a condo.

On the other hand, a house would sit on land that you are unable to own and the rug could be pulled from under your feet at a moments notice and obviously a huge risk to a lender.

Well I suggested them that the loan would be in my wife's name, and that I would be her sponsor, but that didn't work out either :(

In this situation I provide the money to my wife, who gives it to the bank, and in case of payment failure on either side the bank would have full power to take over the land and house.

Well I suggested them that the loan would be in my wife's name, and that I would be her sponsor, but that didn't work out either sad.png

Don't take it so personally, Annonymous. I know someone in the same position and has the income but unable to secure a loan in his wife's name.

The bank is only interested in his wife's business and they haven't deemed that sufficiently profitable to rubberstamp a mortgage application.

Bank's are in the business of risk and I myself would be hard-pressed to loan money to a foreigner on a temporary visa.

There are plenty of houlier than thou know it all posters like kitten kong around here. i'm just surpised it took so long for one to pipe up..

Ho ho ho.

Maybe the people here who think I'm an idiot will lend this guy the money he wants? Assuming they have anything left from previous loans they made to tattooed ex-SAS/CIA drinking companions to buy a Pattaya bar, of course.

Hold on.

Cheers

Thai banks can be funny with foreigners. I went to a Bangkok Bank once for a credit card. The said I need a work permit. I went back showing my work permit and they said I needed to have had an account for 5 years. I'd been with them for 12 years. Eventually she admitted that she just didn't want to give it to me as there was a German who stole 240,000 baht from them !

A mate of mine built a house for 4 million baht. He still had 2 million in his bank account. He went to the bank asking for a home improvement loan of 500,000 baht. They turned him down as they just couldn't understand why he wanted it. He immediately took out his 2 million and went to another bank.

I was offered a 90% loan from Krung Thai, the most racist bank in the country when they totally discriminated against me in other matters. Why, because the builder was a vice - president of a nearby bank. Actually it worked out as 100% as the builder, as most do, lied about the price of the house to the bank.

I noticed someone say that the chanote name must be the same as the mortgage name - not true.

This is Thailand and there are ways around ALL obstacles. It might cost you some cash but don't give up trying to buy a house.

What many Thai people do is ...... actually I can't tell you as it's illegal.

But so is gambling and not wearing a crash helmet.

Other ways are for you to start putting your salary, or part of it into your wife's account every month. This is a wise thing to do for the future and I suuggest this to all married couples where the Thai wife doesn't work. Your wife can make certain transactions that the banks like to see. Your wife should buy a ledger book and start making entries for something.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

If I was a bank I wouldnt consider the books of small companies as offering any sort of security. Much too easy to falsify.

If the company owned property etc then I would accept a lien on that as security against a personal loan made to the owner of the company.

Just call me old-fashioned.