What Would You Change (if you could)

klubex99

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with wanting to make changes is the assumption that everything else stays the same. Not realistic. For example, if foreign land ownership were allowed, real estate prices would increase significantly. If visa requirements were reduced, more undesirables would wash up on our shores. If the standard of living were raised, not as many Thai women would be seeking a way out or be interested in foreigners. If the infrastructure were to improve to western standards, it would mean the country was wealthier and the price of everything would be higher. And if the Thais could speak English....heck, it wouldn't even be Thailand anymore, it'd be the Philippines!

Yep. You can just hear the whingers banging on about the exchange rate to the pound, euro or whatever

I would remove all of the restrictions on the employment of non Thais in Thailand.

I think both Thailand and many of the expats here would benefit greatly.

Rubbish.

If someone comes here on a retirement visa, why the hell should he be allowed to work just because he cocks up his budgeting and realises that he can't afford to pay his wife's extended family's monthly outgoings after all.

He should go home, get some work, save some more money and return when he can afford it.

Anyway, this is never gonna happen, thank God, so dunno why I bothered replying.

As you were

The problem with wanting to make changes is the assumption that everything else stays the same. Not realistic. For example, if foreign land ownership were allowed, real estate prices would increase significantly. If visa requirements were reduced, more undesirables would wash up on our shores. If the standard of living were raised, not as many Thai women would be seeking a way out or be interested in foreigners. If the infrastructure were to improve to western standards, it would mean the country was wealthier and the price of everything would be higher. And if the Thais could speak English....heck, it wouldn't even be Thailand anymore, it'd be the Philippines!

Yep. You can just hear the whingers banging on about the exchange rate to the pound, euro or whatever

I would remove all of the restrictions on the employment of non Thais in Thailand.

Rubbish.

If someone comes here on a retirement visa, why the hell should he be allowed to work just because he cocks up his budgeting and realises that he can't afford to pay his wife's extended family's monthly outgoings after all.

He should go home, get some work, save some more money and return when he can afford it.

Anyway, this is never gonna happen, thank God, so dunno why I bothered replying.

As you were

Hmmmmmmmm, Mr.Angry living in Alaska. coffee1.gif

Rubbish.

As you were

You're oh-so-predictable, transam.

As usual, when you've got nothing of any consequence to say, wheel out the old kneejerk "Mr Angry", attaboyyyyyyyy

rolleyes.gif

Rubbish.

As you were

You're oh-so-predictable, transam.

As usual, when you've got nothing of any consequence to say, wheel out the old kneejerk "Mr Angry", attaboyyyyyyyy

rolleyes.gif

At least I am consistent eh. Makes two of us. smile.png

I would truly want to become a thaibasher. I would truly want to say with conviction; its them them to blame. I would therefore truly want to be a person who belongs to the " simple mind is a joy forever group". I try so hard but naah cant do it. So no point in trying to change others if 1 cant change for themselves. We as individuals are who we are. We can only try to change others if we succesfully changed, a little can be enough, ourselves.

Only education IMO can make a change to widen the knowledge of most thais.

It must come from within thais themselves and if many will feel the same a better thailand will be the result.

I would improve the infrastructure and rebuild the roads while I am at it. Also, i would put politicians into the driver's seat that can actually lead instead of total <removed> ups.

Ah and I would provide free courses for people who say one thing and mean another, and just phony in general..that were aimed at changing their behavior and make them decent.

Make everyone learn English so I don't have to shout to be understood.

Teach motorcyclists that it is possible to pull a fullface helmet completely down over your face instead of sitting on top of your head.

Cricket to be taught at all state schools.

Hard cheese to be subsidised down to 20bht a kilo.

Imported wines to be taxed at the same rate as lao kao to promote civilised behaviour in Isaan.

7-11's have to open at 7am and close at 11pm.

Only motorcycles allowed to use expressways.

100bht to the pound.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Make everyone learn English so I don't have to shout to be understood.

Teach motorcyclists that it is possible to pull a full face helmet completely down over your face instead of sitting on top of your head.

Cricket to be taught at all state schools.

Hard cheese to be subsidised down to 20bht a kilo.

Imported wines to be taxed at the same rate as lao kao to promote civilised behaviour in Isaan.

7-11's have to open at 7am and close at 11pm.

Only motorcycles allowed to use expressways.

100bht to the pound.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That should do it. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I don't care about changing the culture. It's not my culture and not my problem.

For the city itself, two things I'd do:

Increase the amount of green spaces. Bangkok is terrible for green spaces, worse than all equivalent cities and way below healthy levels. I'd make liberal use of bulldozers to clear some space at the shitty end of sukumvit.

(source:http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2013/06/public-space-bangkok)

Secondly, copy Sao Paolo and ban all large billboards and advertising.

Also the reluctance to hire anyone ( Thai or not) over the age of 30.30 is just about the age where people have gained enough experience to be proficient and have learned a decent work ethic.

Just my thoughts.

Sure, I can just see all the wrinkly farang retirees,queuing up for a minimum wage job at 7 /11.or the local rice paddies.

It would be a money saving profit maker!

It takes 6-8 young Thais to operate a 7/11.

In other countries one wrinkly face can run the whole show...and more efficiently too!

P.S. This wrinkly face has been seen in his wife's rice paddy from time to time ( but not working of course!)

I do smile when in a LOS 7/11 or mini Tesco that there is always more staff than customers. smile.png

That is nothing compared to Home Pro in LOS. A good service is important to any business, but i think Home Pro is just crazy. I can only speak of Rama 2, but have you ever counted the employees in an HP? There are like 50 guys+ just in view range, maybe more of them hiding. So maybe you´ve got 75 or more people on one floor. If you buy something you might be sourrounded by 5 or 6 sellers, scary.

Oh and i have another wish, did anyone notice that some of the rod mee (buses) are capable of covering a whole street in thick dark smoke and you have to hold your breath when they drive by? And also they are as loud as a tank! Instead of buying one useless high speed fantasy train, they could spend some of their trillions for decent buses and avoid everyone having lung cancer.

Edited by I knew this would happen

Also the reluctance to hire anyone ( Thai or not) over the age of 30.30 is just about the age where people have gained enough experience to be proficient and have learned a decent work ethic.

Just my thoughts.

Sure, I can just see all the wrinkly farang retirees,queuing up for a minimum wage job at 7 /11.or the local rice paddies.

It would be a money saving profit maker!

It takes 6-8 young Thais to operate a 7/11.

In other countries one wrinkly face can run the whole show...and more efficiently too!

P.S. This wrinkly face has been seen in his wife's rice paddy from time to time ( but not working of course!)

I do smile when in a LOS 7/11 or mini Tesco that there is always more staff than customers. smile.png

As opposed to western style supermarkets where there are 50 check-out lanes, only two of which have cashiers.

Personally, my biggest gripe is the air quality during burning season.

My biggest gripe is the dreadful mentality of Thai drivers and motorbike riders. I don't think it is that they are ignorant, the biggest majority of them are just plain stupid. There is also a lot of good in Thailand I would not want to change.

4 things come to mind:

1. Get rid of all the energy saving light bulbs that have plagued the island, and revert back to incandescent or use led. The light from these bulbs is horrible, they emit mercury gas and poison the environment.

2. Educate people, especially children as they are more susceptible, as to the dangers of excessive mobile phone use. One 10 minute call by an adult shuts down the blood brain barrier for up to 2 hours, a 2 minute call by a child has the same effect, this will eventually lead to an epidemic in neurological problems, tumors etc.

There was recently an epidemic of breast cancers among the women in Brazil, the cause was identified as mobile phones being kept in bras while not in use.

Similarly with wireless devices, schools in many countries in the west are throwing out the wireless networks and going back to cable as there was an increasing amount of sickness among pupils. The increase in use of wireless enabled ipads among children is another epidemic waiting to happen, they sit with them on their lap for hours frying their reproductive organs, leading to dna damage, passed on to their children.

3. get rid of all the plastic and use paper and glass.

4. Stop putting MSG and huge amounts of sugar in ........ practically everything.

Everyone would be a lot healthier if these changes were made.

My biggest gripe is the dreadful mentality of Thai drivers and motorbike riders. I don't think it is that they are ignorant, the biggest majority of them are just plain stupid. There is also a lot of good in Thailand I would not want to change.

I'm not entirely in disagreement, though it was interesting to note that during the 7 months I lived in Phuket town I can't remember seeing even 1 accident, phuket town mostly thai drivers, cars and bikes. Since I moved back to the Nia Harn area I am seeing lots of accidents, involving both thai and farang, so maybe it's an incompatibility, thais maybe drive more instinctively while for farang who are used to depending on strict adherence to the rules of the road get a bit lost when the rules are absent, or someone does something not in the book.

I use to travel by bike a lot in India, the system looks like total chaos to a westerner, but there is a system, and once you recognize it you can drive around with confidence.

I'm not entirely in disagreement, though it was interesting to note that during the 7 months I lived in Phuket town I can't remember seeing even 1 accident, phuket town mostly thai drivers, cars and bikes. Since I moved back to the Nia Harn area I am seeing lots of accidents, involving both thai and farang, so maybe it's an incompatibility, thais maybe drive more instinctively while for farang who are used to depending on strict adherence to the rules of the road get a bit lost when the rules are absent, or someone does something not in the book.

I use to travel by bike a lot in India, the system looks like total chaos to a westerner, but there is a system, and once you recognize it you can drive around with confidence.

The rules of the road in Thailand don't mean a thing. It's common to see a truck going the wrong way up the hard shoulder of a motorway, it is also common to see tractors going the wrong way up the outside lane of a motorway. Most Thai drivers are of a very low mentality, and are just plain stupid.

• Like 1

I would automate the 90 day visa process - I think immigrations must be selling paper - this is 2013, scan our passport and link to immigrations previous entries

I would encourage better English language training so the children can get better jobs.

I would suggest the Thai government learn about the foreigners contribution to their country and recoginze that the country benefits from most (or at least many) of the foreigners living in Thailand. Then adapt this information to the entire visa process and give credit where it is due.

Clean, clean and then clean some more. Why do people (mostly the Thai people) destroy the beauty of Thailand with garbage every where. Our village has no garbage pickup and no place to discard non-recyclable garbage. The people burn what they can on the side of the road and the remains sit there for all to see and smell. Personally, I hire kids to clean the village, makes a little money for them and shows the villagers a better way instead of attempting to tell them. (Then I have the big problem of attempting to get rid of what they pick up!)

I think many men that are living in the country should stop their negative attitude about men being married to Thai ladies and not wanting to give them anything but instead keep suggesting the women are all out to get us! I was married in the USA and would never have hesitated to have joint ownership. When I read this forum I think most of the men set aside their logic. If you marry in just a few months without really knowing who you are marrying you may have to accept what you get - this in no different than any other country! When you marry cherish and honor your wife and in your heart and soul make her your partner. If you fail, get up and go on without bashing the lady! Maybe we should look within instead of bashing.

• Like 1

I would like to see internet shopping as good as in the west.

Call to Amazon to open a Thai warehouse.

Chip n' pin in all shops.

The development of respect for other peoples property and possessions i.e. don't just walk onto someone elses farm and start helping yourself to whatever.....