Why not buy a truck?

Truck Vs Fiesta

Truck will squash Fiesta flat in a second (and baby as well).

Consider your kid's safety, buy the truck (and trucks last forever).

Right on my man!

There is the aspect of driving here on the roads where the native drivers have had no drivers training and are unfamiliar with western style road etiquette. Global warming aside - and I'm all for it - but here in LOS, it behooves you to surround you and your family with as much metal as possible to better survive your road trips .... plus, hospital bills deriving from any potential injury could further jeopardize your budget!

Avoid it all and go truck! Even if it may not have ABS, you can always upgrade your brake components, if you so choose to do so.

Not sure if you like a Ford, but the Ranger a great truck not sold in the U.S. considered recently one of the best built trucks in the world!

You are only half right. Not sure if Ford still sells the Ranger in the USA, but it was on the menu for years.

Maybe it's a typo, but the Ford Ranger is a small pickup that's been selling in the USA for what seems like forever.

Ford Ranger has been discontinued in US and this last model of Ranger is only sold outside of US...

For the OP,if you want versatility and don't care about the parking problems...get a truck!.....check your budget and buy new,if can.....New Ford Ranger!...wink.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like others have said be very careful buying second hand, I remember a few years ago getting my car repaired......there was a pickup truck that had been rolled (and the roof pillars crushed) and was in a bad way, in the UK it would definitely be a "right off".......I asked if they were repairing it and the answer was no problem! They were going to cut the old top off and weld a new one on, NOT re-shell it....scary stuff!

Remember, labour can be cheap here so spending many many man hours repairing it, is still financially economical.

Edited by kjhbigv

Ford Fiesta?...Ford put that name in this car because they had a "party" every time they sold one....In Thailand will not last very long with these kind of roads, and the depreciation is BIG......Better choice in Thailand is a Toyota VIOS...Just look what taxi drivers use....or a Honda.

Mazda cars and trucks are not so popular, resale value is not great, but are good and very well priced.

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't think it would have altered anyone's opinions but I made a mistake. It's a 2007 truck. Higher milage for the year but it does come with 2 x airbags (not in a VIOS / Avanza), ABS and a 2 wheel drive, 3.0L engine.

It doesn't appear (from the suspension and cab wear) to have been a proper work-horse.

Going to go for a 2nd drive tomorrow and make sure that the leaf springs in the back don't make my wife car-sick and then take the truck. The ISUZU we're looking at has one of those full canopy covers to make the rear very useable. An open back would be useless to us.

I drove a 605,000 baht newer Hilux / Vigo today. Beginning to be more money than we want to spend.

I'm finding it harder to justify the Fiesta. Also, relatively, ~100k km in a little car is a lot compared to ~150k km in a big work horse, iron girder-type truck.

Ferang in a pick-up... need a trucker tan as I turn up and Bang Tao beach now!

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't think it would have altered anyone's opinions but I made a mistake. It's a 2007 truck. Higher milage for the year but it does come with 2 x airbags (not in a VIOS / Avanza), ABS and a 2 wheel drive, 3.0L engine.

It doesn't appear (from the suspension and cab wear) to have been a proper work-horse.

Going to go for a 2nd drive tomorrow and make sure that the leaf springs in the back don't make my wife car-sick and then take the truck. The ISUZU we're looking at has one of those full canopy covers to make the rear very useable. An open back would be useless to us.

I drove a 605,000 baht newer Hilux / Vigo today. Beginning to be more money than we want to spend.

I'm finding it harder to justify the Fiesta. Also, relatively, ~100k km in a little car is a lot compared to ~150k km in a big work horse, iron girder-type truck.

Farang in a pick-up... need a trucker tan as I turn up and Bang Tao beach now!

Thanks for the help.

Exactly!

2007 Isuzu pickup - even better! I hope for your sake it all works out because under your circumstances, you're making a good choice. You may have to make a few mechanical improvements: spring leafs, brakes or tires but it's all relatively inexpensive here in LOS.

If your wife gets carsick, there's always Dramamine for motion sickness .... It works!

I

Like the few who responded know what they are talking about! Buy a truck and not everyone buys a truck because they live and work on a farm! Think about it this way,, SUV, how many people buy them and actually take them off road. I remember making fun of a friend who purchased a SUV and he parked it in a dirt lot while working. One day I saw him leave the lot and he was going less than 5 miles an hour slowly climbing over a ant like it was going to damage his suspension?

Get yourself a 4 door truck if possible 4WD, I could slap myself today buying a Yaris, in Thailand the reason so many have them is that are as noted the best bang for the buck! diesel is cheap and get much better miles than Gasohol etc.. change the oil regularly and a diesel engine will run you in the 200.000 plus. The only problem is buying a use one! Sometimes the price and year have no relationship the place of sale is most likely selling it for the bank and have to ask and get as much back for the bank as possible. Hard for me to explain this part but I will try? I see many use trucks and they might be around 2 years old but the asking price close to what it is new? I found out it is because of the previous owner how much he put down and how long he has been making the payments? A vehicle purchased for very little down and the owner has missed the majority of payment prior to it being repossessed the bank most likely will ask higher amount to recoup their lost? This is Thailand? For a Farang like myself, if a new truck for example is 900,000 why would I want a 2 year old truck for 780,000?

So. my recommendation if your are looking at new! Toyota a great truck unless you can live with cloth interior and stick shift a leather auto will run in the range of 900.000 plus, a D-Max about the same! Even if you obtain a 2.5 engine? Both of these trucks are proven but I feel overpriced!

Not sure if you like a Ford, but the Ranger a great truck not sold in the U.S. considered recently one of the best built trucks in the world! Come in a 2.5 or 3.2, not sure what a 2.5 Diesel run for or even a used?

My choice if I was to buy today new for the best bang for your buck! Nisson Navara, 4 door full leather interior Automatic with lots of trimming for 835,000! Do whatever you want but I suggest get a truck the Thais can not drive or haven't been taught right but they know what is best and that is a truck I should have listen to them?

Just my 2 cents

American friend of mine was going to buy a Toyota Fortuner truck so I suggested he take a look at the Mitsu Pajero Sport. Called me a couple of days later and said, thanks for that tip. The Pajero is 79,000 baht cheaper and better appointed. Another friend has a 4 door Mitsu truck and again it was cheaper than the Isuzu and Toyota and better appointed. I believe the Mitsu truck it the most popular truck in the UK.

Another thing to remember is that the older Toyota's have their own diesel engine which is very poor. They now use the Isuzu lump under license with their own branding.

As an aside I run a car!

I'd steer clear from the Ford's, they have a horrible throttle on the recent models with a big delay on it which can cause problems, especially when trying to move slowly or edge out at a junction for example.

Do you know that from your experience?

Truck Vs Fiesta

Truck will squash Fiesta flat in a second (and baby as well).

Consider your kid's safety, buy the truck (and trucks last forever).

Right on my man!

There is the aspect of driving here on the roads where the native drivers have had no drivers training and are unfamiliar with western style road etiquette. Global warming aside - and I'm all for it - but here in LOS, it behooves you to surround you and your family with as much metal as possible to better survive your road trips .... plus, hospital bills deriving from any potential injury could further jeopardize your budget!

Avoid it all and go truck! Even if it may not have ABS, you can always upgrade your brake components, if you so choose to do so.

Not sure if you like a Ford, but the Ranger a great truck not sold in the U.S. considered recently one of the best built trucks in the world!

You are only half right. Not sure if Ford still sells the Ranger in the USA, but it was on the menu for years.

Maybe it's a typo, but the Ford Ranger is a small pickup that's been selling in the USA for what seems like forever.

Ford Ranger has been discontinued in US and this last model of Ranger is only sold outside of US...

For the OP,if you want versatility and don't care about the parking problems...get a truck!.....check your budget and buy new,if can.....New Ford Ranger!...wink.png

I second that! We looked at all of them and small cars as well and the Ranger was the best value, nicest interior and most modern drivetrain. Consistently rated best pickup worlwide in reviews. Also it's Australian designed and if there is one thing we can do it's design great cars when we set our minds to it.

Edited by pbfisher

I'd steer clear from the Ford's, they have a horrible throttle on the recent models with a big delay on it which can cause problems, especially when trying to move slowly or edge out at a junction for example.

Yes, that's what I've found in all the models I drove

attachicon.gifCopy (2) of Photo0676.jpg..

This is my 2007 4x4 auto trans Vigo. Iove it, not a squeaks, rattles, knocks, doors still close like new, and drives like new etc, etc.........

Did someone say a Toyota now uses an Isuzu engine ? Hmmmmmmmmmm, thats a new one on me. sad.png

Man, that's a well kept set of wheels you have there.

What's the 'mileage' and the approximate worth?

I bought a new Vigo 4 door 4wd 3 years ago.

Put 1/3 down and pay the rest monthly.

Very low interest rate.

Perfect car for Thailand. Servicing is cheap. Dealers everywhere. More economic than a Toyota Vios in terms of fuel costs. My friend and I have taken her Vios from Samui to Ranong and ack and my Vigo on the same trip. Vigo cost slightly less.

Strong. Check out Jeremy Clarckson on top gear trying to destroy one. After numerous other crazy tests he put it on top of a 30 story building that was then demolished by controlled explosion. They dug it out the rubble and it still ran. OK chassis had broken a bit but the cab had become the monocoque.

Very safe.

I am not normally a new car buyer but here in Thailand it makes huge sense.

Completed 60k in it. At 60k it needed new brake pads and the discs milled marginally to correct small run out on discs. Total cost for service including all fluids and filters etc was 6k

Comfortable, I like the auto, and just so practical as so many have said.

Did Jeremy Clarckson trying to destroy a toyota vigo?

Strong. Check out Jeremy Clarckson on top gear trying to destroy one. After numerous other crazy tests he put it on top of a 30 story building that was then demolished by controlled explosion. They dug it out the rubble and it still ran. OK chassis had broken a bit but the cab had become the monocoque.

Very safe.

Did Jeremy Clarckson trying to destroy a toyota vigo?

Well ... sort of.

Twas a HiLux ...

Could just be a name variation though.

This is my 2007 4x4 auto trans Vigo. Iove it, not a squeaks, rattles, knocks, doors still close like new, and drives like new etc, etc.........

Did someone say a Toyota now uses an Isuzu engine ? Hmmmmmmmmmm, thats a new one on me. sad.png

Nice Blue , no doubt discontinued. A Famous Isuzu Clacker Motor in a Toyota , perish the thought...Surprised the Tyres look overinflated.biggrin.png

Wow, Transam, that's a truly beautiful looking truck! Nice color! Who would've thunk?

I drive the Ranger for over a year now and it's great,never a problem...but there is always a lag connected with turbo engines,Ford,Toyota etc all have it.....Considering that turbo picks up at about 1500rpm's,one just need to include this in your driving technique...

Edited by funcat

I drive the Ranger for over a year now and it's great,never a problem...but there is always a lug connected with turbo engines,Ford,Toyota etc all have it.....Considering that turbo picks up at about 1500rpm's,one just need to include this in your driving technique...

It wasn't turbo lag I experienced. It was a delayed throttle response. Found it worse on the smaller model cars like the Fiesta.

It wasn't turbo lag I experienced. It was a delayed throttle response. Found it worse on the smaller model cars like the Fiesta.

I haven't felt it on the Fiesta nor Vigo. What I've experienced since coming here and driving autos (always had manual cars before) is the horrible: foot down > car thinks about dropping a gear > drops a gear or two > revs its head off > finally accelerate. I do miss simply dropping down a gear, clutch up and vrooom.

Researching trucks yeaterday and saw a few pictures of car vs pick up crashes. Scary!

I saw the indestructible Hilux on Top Gear. Very impressive. I also remember him interviewing a guest who was saying how embarrassed they were driving a Range Rover around London. He said something like, "Do you love your children? Want them to be safe? Buy the biggest car you can."

Thanks for all of the replies. Very helpful.

The sister car to the D-Max is a cheaper buy, maybe worth looking at ?

this one a 05 and 310,000 baht, there are cheaper and a bit more expensive, but still cheaper than the D-Max........ D-Max with a Chevy body.

post-42643-0-49580600-1381280751_thumb.j

Edited by ignis