Bangkok Administration worried as Pasak Dam gets ready to release water

webfact

"They should be prepared," he said, pointing out that the Pasak Jolasid Dam needed to discharge a huge amount of water every day because its was already 110 per cent full.

​How can anything be 110% full, especially when talking about a dam? They couldn't release water before, very similar to the floods in Sisaket and sorrounding areas, caused by "overfull dams" in Phusing and Khuk Khan.

When will they wake up? We've just lost almost all, god damned. That has changed our lives, damaged our relationship and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. I hope not too many will be victims as we are.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

The dam is 110 % full? Why on earth doesn't some one occasionally think mmmm.. looks a bit full to me a bit earlier in the rainy season and think .. well if we let some out now there will be enough space for more water next time it rains. If they monitored flow in flow out coupled with the weather forecast it could be a continus flow and level.

5 5 5 I am wondering how a dam gets to be "110%" full???.... i live in the infamous "white house moobahn" in Rangsit so I am going to have a look on google map as well and see where this river runs down.... of course if they release too much water we would maybe see a bit of 2011 again here in 2013 - but maybe not as bad... altho it is flooding in a lot of different areas this year.... hmmm...

yikes.... 110% full.... <deleted>...

The dam is 110 % full? Why on earth doesn't some one occasionally think mmmm.. looks a bit full to me a bit earlier in the rainy season and think .. well if we let some out now there will be enough space for more water next time it rains. If they monitored flow in flow out coupled with the weather forecast it could be a continus flow and level.

5 5 5 I am wondering how a dam gets to be "110%" full???.... i live in the infamous "white house moobahn" in Rangsit so I am going to have a look on google map as well and see where this river runs down.... of course if they release too much water we would maybe see a bit of 2011 again here in 2013 - but maybe not as bad... altho it is flooding in a lot of different areas this year.... hmmm...

If you had a large glass of beer that was 110% full, you'd either have a wet table or wet pants.

100% means it is full, anything else, surely, is over the top?

• Like 1

Banharn Silapa-archa, chief adviser to the agriculture minister, said Bangkok might be flooded for a day or two, though he predicted that the situation for riverside communities in Pathum Thani would be worse.

"They should be prepared," he said, pointing out that the Pasak Jolasid Dam needed to discharge a huge amount of water every day because its was already 110 per cent full.

Gotta admire this guy, multi-talented he is and and expert with figures. 110% jeez.

Banharn Silapa-archa, chief adviser to the agriculture minister

And how exactly is he qualified to make a comment about ANY OF IT. He was around when they screwed up in 1997, so how on earth he can be remotely qualified to discuss flooding is beyond me. I mean where is Plodprasop. Now he really knows his stuff.

We're doomed.

​How can anything be 110% full, especially when talking about a dam? They couldn't release water before, very similar to the floods in Sisaket and sorrounding areas, caused by "overfull dams" in Phusing and Khuk Khan.

When will they wake up? We've just lost almost all, god damned. That has changed our lives, damaged our relationship and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. I hope not too many will be victims as we are.-wai2.gif

Darkest before the dawn and all that.

Hang in there Sirchai!

• Like 1

If you had a large glass of beer that was 110% full, you'd either have a wet table or wet pants.

100% means it is full, anything else, surely, is over the top?

It would seem 100% full, is full. But in the case of a dam, and depending on construction, 100%, is maximum normal operating levels. There is always a safety factor built in, and is rarely exceeded. Except for here in Thailand.

If a dam fills to a point it overflows the front, most likely it will collapse, and be a catastrophe downstream.

BKK raises sluice gates to help disperse water mass incrapload-sacrifice Pathumthani for the sake of Bangkok only Bangkok

When government agencies control the provinces, we can all assured to panic each and every day.

oh, you seem to be an expert. Why not doing by yourself???

Very possible. A flood control dam normally can be filled up to 25% above its rated capacity. I think Pasak Jolasid dam was designed with the same spec. If it is the case 110% filling capacity should not demand any additional water release other than its natural spillage. If it was not designed with such spec, I'm afraid that the dam was wrongly designed. In this case this dam might be one of the main contributers to the occurence of floods in future.

BKK raises sluice gates to help disperse water mass in Pathumthani

BANGKOK, 9 October 2013 (NNT) – Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra on Tuesday ordered sluice gates to be raised higher to release water from Pathumthani to the north of Bangkok, in order to help disperse the water mass into the sea.

M.R. Sukhumbhand on Tuesday inspected the water levels at the Song Sai Tai canal, the Song Sam Wa canal, and the Saen Saeb canal in the capital city, and said afterwards that the water level at one of the sluice gates was below critical level. Thus, he ordered the gate to be raised to 30 centimeters from 10 centimeters previously. This was done to help absorb water flow from Pathumthani province as well as some outlying areas of Bangkok.

According to the Governor, the water levels near 25 riverside communities, most of which are located along sections of the Chao Phraya river that have not been reinforced with water barriers, remain under constant monitoring by City Hall officials.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-10-09 footer_n.gif

That sluices gates are deadly dengerous. They can't be opened based on adhoc decision. Otherwise they can be the major sources of flood waters.

Even with slow thinking even someone really silly would start to release water like 3 weeks ago.

So either they are more silly than human possible or they do it with purpose.

Don't forget that Thaksin with some Dubai people is a large investor in land and the farmers are have all a lot debt due to his credits for mobile phones.....

I see there are 2 tropical storms approaching Thailand from two sides, one coming in via Burma and the second again from Vietnam and Cambodia. A good job they release the water from the dams now as they wont stand the pressure if they hit.hit-the-fan.gif I am travelling to Lop Buri tomorrow and will be there until I fly to OZ on the 13th, so I will keep you informed over the next few days. Hope I can get to the Airport whistling.gif

I see there are 2 tropical storms approaching Thailand from two sides, one coming in via Burma and the second again from Vietnam and Cambodia. A good job they release the water from the dams now as they wont stand the pressure if they hit.hit-the-fan.gif I am travelling to Lop Buri tomorrow and will be there until I fly to OZ on the 13th, so I will keep you informed over the next few days. Hope I can get to the Airport whistling.gif

I arrived in Lop Buri this afternoon, the only place between Pattaya and Lop Buri that looked like flooding was the motorway heading to Swampy. it was flooded on both sides of the motorway on the side roads, I saw people driving and pushing cars through about 2feet of water for about 100 meters. Apart from that the road was good all the way with no water over it. Nil water on the side roads to lop Buri and almost all the canals were just trickling with water and they had all been cleaned out. There was a lot of water in the rice paddies but all in all not much to speak about. See how the next couple of days pan out. it also looks like the 2 rain depressions are still heading our way according to the Thai meteorology Dept

Edited by OZEMADE

Banharn Silapa-archa, chief adviser to the agriculture minister, said Bangkok might be flooded for a day or two, though he predicted that the situation for riverside communities in Pathum Thani would be worse.

Gotta admire this guy, multi-talented he is and and expert with figures. 110% jeez.

NO, NO, NO. He is not mathematically challenged! He just can't get out of the habit of adding the extra 10%.