Ducati Hypermotard/Hyperstrada 2013 Thailand

ll2

^

hypermotard is higher than hperstrada and yes, both have softer than usual for Ducati front suspension and easy to fix it with a 400 - 500 USD Andreani fork cartridges with full adjustment.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

hypermotard is higher than hperstrada and yes, both have softer than usual for Ducati front suspension and easy to fix it with a 400 - 500 USD Andreani fork cartridges with full adjustment.

The 2 cm height difference is the seat height difference i think.

Hyperstrada or hypermotard?

I need some opinions. Seems like if they were the exact same bike, then the strada would be a steal - better saddle, windscreen which I would want anyway, and touring bags for 50k baht more is a very good deal.

However I am concerned that the strada is lower and also has maybe a less sporty suspension set up - sounds like it is the station wagon of the hyper family? The looks are fine, i played around with the Ducati configurator and the strada is just stunning. There are tons of upgrades, most of which seem to add some carbon here or there, undoubtedly for astronomical prices.

I think there will be a Versys for sale soon with a new engine wink.png

I am fairly sure that if you buy one, you will buy the Strada. Front suspension on both models will be crap and needs upgrading for sure. This can easily be fixed by buying some stiffer Ohlins springs for around 150 USD or so (I guess). I still believe rear suspension is the same only maybe different settings.

You think the Strada is lower but I think it's higher Or the same height. The SP will be higher.

One problem with Ducati is that their are tons of upgrades which can easily make the bike very expense. Have to be careful.

Good luck!

and another very handy option the Strada has is; Remote hydraulic (rear) spring preload adjustment.

<deleted>?? ^^^ hahahahaha

I put down a deposit on a Hypermotard. In person, the bike is even more beautiful than in the pix. It's amazing. The strada actually looks pretty good too. But the "butt feel" test pegged the motard as the clear winner.

There's a lot of minor cosmetic differences - the motard has the kick-ass red frame, for example, whereas the strada gets a more "mature" grey one. Motard has a just kinda cool cut off front fender, strada has a normal one. Motard has DRIIs, strada gets Scorpion Trails - I personally much prefer the DRIIs mostly because I don't feel particularly confident in the dirt with the trails, and on the road the DRIIs are way better.

There are no test rides at this point - there will be in November. But for now they didn't even get keys for the two showroom models. Ducati BKK is not leaving anything to chance there.

Reasons I chose the Hypermotard:

- Feels much harder and higher - just sitting on it feels great already, can't wait to ride it. Hyperstrada feels like a toned-down, softened version, and it's also lower. On tours, the strada will undoubtedly be much more comfortable. But since I'll use this bike day to day in the city, I opted for the "more fun" package.

- I don't like the soft bags on the strada. They're not terrible but not really pretty either. And they're absolutely enormous.

- Getting the windscreen + touring seat as extras will cost less than the 50k price difference. If you like the bags and adjustable rear shock, then the strada is an amazing deal, especially considering Duc pricing. Even at cheap US prices these items would cost much more than 50k.

- Red frame. Obviously.

In the US, the "ultimate" version is the SP with touring add-ons - which considering the suspension upgrades isn't all that much more in the US than the base model. But since the SP is imported in Thailand it's absurdly expensive. It'll no doubt find buyers amongst the rich kids.

1st class insurance is almost 20,000... oh well. Then again I really want to have that. I have a feeling if this gets scratched up it'll be a bit dearer than the Kawasakis.

I've read many times that registration is 3,500 for a Ducati, and I was quoted the same. Couldn't help but ask why, given that registration with Kawasaki is maybe a bit more than 1,000. Sales girl: "It's the service. Ducati charges a lot!" Then both were laughing. I like the honesty smile.png

PS: Color options for Thailand at this point are: Red. That's it. No white or black.

well done nikster. good choice. i might follow you soon!

i am inclining towards hyperstrada though although i like the design and stance of hyperstrada more. as bags alone are 49 k thb if you want to bu them later not including 15 k handrails to attach them to the bike.

an yeah, ducati charges extra for everything.

you can get a full adjustable aftermarket fork cartridges later, no worries.

when will you get yours?

I put down a deposit on a Hypermotard. In person, the bike is even more beautiful than in the pix. It's amazing. The strada actually looks pretty good too. But the "butt feel" test pegged the motard as the clear winner.

There's a lot of minor cosmetic differences - the motard has the kick-ass red frame, for example, whereas the strada gets a more "mature" grey one. Motard has a just kinda cool cut off front fender, strada has a normal one. Motard has DRIIs, strada gets Scorpion Trails - I personally much prefer the DRIIs mostly because I don't feel particularly confident in the dirt with the trails, and on the road the DRIIs are way better.

There are no test rides at this point - there will be in November. But for now they didn't even get keys for the two showroom models. Ducati BKK is not leaving anything to chance there.

- Feels much harder and higher - just sitting on it feels great already, can't wait to ride it. Hyperstrada feels like a toned-down, softened version, and it's also lower. On tours, the strada will undoubtedly be much more comfortable. But since I'll use this bike day to day in the city, I opted for the "more fun" package.

- I don't like the soft bags on the strada. They're not terrible but not really pretty either. And they're absolutely enormous.

- Getting the windscreen + touring seat as extras will cost less than the 50k price difference. If you like the bags and adjustable rear shock, then the strada is an amazing deal, especially considering Duc pricing. Even at cheap US prices these items would cost much more than 50k.

- Red frame. Obviously.

In the US, the "ultimate" version is the SP with touring add-ons - which considering the suspension upgrades isn't all that much more in the US than the base model. But since the SP is imported in Thailand it's absurdly expensive. It'll no doubt find buyers amongst the rich kids.

1st class insurance is almost 20,000... oh well. Then again I really want to have that. I have a feeling if this gets scratched up it'll be a bit dearer than the Kawasakis.

I've read many times that registration is 3,500 for a Ducati, and I was quoted the same. Couldn't help but ask why, given that registration with Kawasaki is maybe a bit more than 1,000. Sales girl: "It's the service. Ducati charges a lot!" Then both were laughing. I like the honesty smile.png

PS: Color options for Thailand at this point are: Red. That's it. No white or black.

i am inclining towards hyperstrada though although i like the design and stance of hyperstrada more. as bags alone are 49 k thb if you want to bu them later not including 15 k handrails to attach them to the bike.

when will you get yours?

Any doubt is gone when you sit on the new Ducati Hyperstrada, it's perfect (and really perfect riding possition is the main key)

I found the Hypermotard more to my liking - it feels like a hard, precise hooligan instrument.

Hyperstrada felt more like comfortable touring for hours. Still gorgeous of course.

If you like the bags then yeah, Hyperstrada is a no-brainer. Not gonna get the red frame though... :P

ll2 are those official Thailand accessory prices you're quoting? I was using the US website. If Ducati isn't out to rip off Thai customers then all the accessories should be the same price + 30% import tax + 7% VAT which wouldn't be too terrible. For example the little windscreen + mounts costs $130, the touring windscreen $200. Grab handles $130

http://www.pure-ducati.com/c-65-touring.aspx

Now if they double or triple the prices, very well possible, then I'd just import them myself or buy them from a shop that grey imports them.

- Red frame. Obviously.

Congrats on a very Nice Purchase! I like the clean, purposeful look and relative simplicity of the Mo'Tard. As much as I jones on the MultiStrada, all of it's electronic & mechanical wizardry would worry me post-warranty. BMW's not had good luck with taming their electronics gremlins over time. their warranty servicing costs must be huge.

Edited by bbradsby

Read a lot of reviews lately as contemplated trading in my 796 Hypermotard but most say they prefer the old 796 & 1100 more than the new one so a difficult choice, especially as it has over 100k of mods on it! Ducati had pretty much perfected their air-cooled twin over time so, together with some initial gremlins mentioned on ducati.ms, I think I'll stick with mine for now. Below is one of the best reviews I found.

http://m.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1306_2013_ducati_hypermotard

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well the new one fixes all the issues with the old one: Much longer service intervals on the engine; bigger fuel tank (16l); more power than the 796 (81 hp vs 110) but I guess also heavier, not sure how much as I couldn't find the wet weight for the old one. Pretty much all reviews agree it's a much improved bike. My impression is that they made it more of an all-round motorcycle, whereas before it was very specifically a "fun bike" only.

I wouldn't buy a bike without ABS. Looking forward to DCT too - not sure how useful that will be really.

Whether or not it's worth upgrading depends on your personal situation - if you're happy with the old one, just keep it wink.png

Edited by nikster

I think this new HyperMotard looks fantastic and the review posted by Pasta makes it sound like a great bike. I really like the Monster 795 as well but it looks like it will get the new engine next year so I'm going to wait and see. I'd hate to buy it and then see it upgraded shortly after.

Congrats on the purchase Nikster, sounds like it will be perfect for your needs. Look forward to a review when you get it...

Read a lot of reviews lately as contemplated trading in my 796 Hypermotard but most say they prefer the old 796 & 1100 more than the new one so a difficult choice, especially as it has over 100k of mods on it! Ducati had pretty much perfected their air-cooled twin over time so, together with some initial gremlins mentioned on ducati.ms, I think I'll stick with mine for now. Below is one of the best reviews I found.

http://m.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1306_2013_ducati_hypermotard

Still deciding to be honest and will see what trade-in price I get but would also prefer ABS, having DCT doesn't really bother me as my wrist provides whatever power I require and it isn't as though it is a Panigale in terms of power! My 796 gets close to 20kms per litre so is actually ok when on a long ride and has the full Termignoni with upgraded ecu so power is over 90bhp but in real world riding the extra wouldn't be that noticeable as both have loads of torque.

From what I've read on ducati.ms those there have been a few niggles needed checking under warranty but those will get ironed out, definitely a beautiful looking bike but so was the previous bike. The touring screen I fitted made a difference at higher speeds and the new Hypermotard seat is supposedly less comfortable so once the seat and screen have been sorted it'll be good to go...hhhmmmm, what to do?

- Red frame. Obviously.

I've read many times that registration is 3,500 for a Ducati, and I was quoted the same. Couldn't help but ask why, given that registration with Kawasaki is maybe a bit more than 1,000. Sales girl: "It's the service. Ducati charges a lot!" Then both were laughing. I like the honesty xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

when will you get yours?

Any doubt is gone when you sit on the new Ducati Hyperstrada, it's perfect (and really perfect riding possition is the main key)

jonny, sat on hyperstrada last Sunday and all is perfect, lower than hypermotard and lower fork travel means lighter turns and knob adjustable rear shock.

Not to mention teh perfect and sexy design.

My only problem is the seat and cramped poasitions as it is not easy to get used of the feeling like you are sitting on the tank and also no room to tuck as you can really lick the windshield! But i am sure with time i can get used of it.

Still, a nearly perfect bike. Can have sex with that single sided swingarmbiggrin.png

I found the Hypermotard more to my liking - it feels like a hard, precise hooligan instrument.

Hyperstrada felt more like comfortable touring for hours. Still gorgeous of course.

If you like the bags then yeah, Hyperstrada is a no-brainer. Not gonna get the red frame though... tongue.png

ll2 are those official Thailand accessory prices you're quoting? I was using the US website. If Ducati isn't out to rip off Thai customers then all the accessories should be the same price + 30% import tax + 7% VAT which wouldn't be too terrible. For example the little windscreen + mounts costs $130, the touring windscreen $200. Grab handles $130

http://www.pure-ducati.com/c-65-touring.aspx

Now if they double or triple the prices, very well possible, then I'd just import them myself or buy them from a shop that grey imports them.

The prices i am mentioning is from Ducati Thailand and if you have the brochure of hypermotard and strada, prices are stated on the last pages.

49,000 thb for panniers, 15 k for handgrabs, 13 k for windscreen and a couple of more extras.

I loved the design of hypermotard more but liked the gray chassis paint more on strada. also, i like touring and want to get a do it all bike and knob adjustable rear shock makes it also easier.

anyway, you cannot go wrong with any of these. and Ducati now have discount on termignoni full exhaust for hypermotard - it does not fit strada when the panniers are on - which looks superb for 78 k thb and air filter and ecu flash is included in teh price with a claim of 5 percent more power and torque and better fueling, check it out, it is normally listed as 129 k thb!

happy rides Nikster! when will you get the bike and is there a long waiting list?

I will wait for the new honda forts to decide for sure!

Ducati Phuket just received their Hypermotard and Strada show models at 4pm, so I went to finally have a look. Was ready and willing to put money on it.....BUT didn't. They look really gorgeous. I am 1.82m and 95kg, so rather slightly "oversized". On the Motard I could not flat foot both of my feet, but still was ok. On the Strada I could flat foot both feet.

Now, the big issue is the seat and the seating position for me. I came from Naked for most of my life. And with both bikes I felt i was really pushed into the tank, the seat is very small and my knees and thighs hitting somewhat sharper areas. The Motard seat was very hard as well. There is also no really space to maneuver around. In contrary the KTM DUKE 690 I did sit on was just super comfy....at least for my liking. So....back to the drawing board....damn'it.

• Like 1

Ducati Phuket just received their Hypermotard and Strada show models at 4pm, so I went to finally have a look. Was ready and willing to put money on it.....BUT didn't. They look really gorgeous. I am 1.82m and 95kg, so rather slightly "oversized". On the Motard I could not flat foot both of my feet, but still was ok. On the Strada I could flat foot both feet.

Now, the big issue is the seat and the seating position for me. I came from Naked for most of my life. And with both bikes I felt i was really pushed into the tank, the seat is very small and my knees and thighs hitting somewhat sharper areas. The Motard seat was very hard as well. There is also no really space to maneuver around. In contrary the KTM DUKE 690 I did sit on was just super comfy....at least for my liking. So....back to the drawing board....dam_n'it.

How about a BMW 1200GS?

Now, the big issue is the seat and the seating position for me. I came from Naked for most of my life. And with both bikes I felt i was really pushed into the tank, the seat is very small and my knees and thighs hitting somewhat sharper areas. The Motard seat was very hard as well. There is also no really space to maneuver around. In contrary the KTM DUKE 690 I did sit on was just super comfy....at least for my liking. So....back to the drawing board....dam_n'it.

Pretty much the same for me , wanted to like it but that seat I found brutal in a few seconds , maybe different when you are actually riding but I doubt it . will be keeping my ER6N for a while longer it looks like .

My previous bikes include a Versys and Z1000 and, unless the new model is drastically different to the old one, the seating position isn't much different. The Versys was unbelievably comfortable but a similar position to the Hypermotard while the Z1000 was a bit more sporty but still fairly upright.

Hehe they were supposed to call me when they arrived so I could go down there and see the motard, they didn't! thanks for letting us know, i'll go there tomorrow.

I am feeling an irresistible urge to buy one of those "ugly" Ducati Hyperstradas. What is required for the financing other than being able to come up with the 30-45% down payment? Anyone know? I am on a retirement visa.

I am feeling an irresistible urge to buy one of those "ugly" Ducati Hyperstradas. What is required for the financing other than being able to come up with the 30-45% down payment? Anyone know? I am on a retirement visa.

They wanted work permit and proof of income. I don't have a work permit, and I'd also need to get proof of residency from my countries embassy in BKK. Too much trouble so I am now just putting it in the wife's name. Seems a lot easier - I do want to take advantage of the financing... finance is handled by K bank; it's conceivable they would be OK with a retirement visa + proof of income, I would think?!

Way back when I bought the car, I managed to put it in my name without work permit by providing boatloads of other paperwork. Could be they changed the rules now though.

Edited by nikster

Thanks Nikster. Something for me to think about. I am out of the country at the moment or I would have checked it out at the Udorn dealership myself. My Thai wife may be getting a new Hyperstrada when I get back!

Thanks Nikster. Something for me to think about. I am out of the country at the moment or I would have checked it out at the Udorn dealership myself. My Thai wife may be getting a new Hyperstrada when I get back!

Nice!

Btw rest assured the Hyperstrada is not ugly at all... it looks great, pics dont really do it justice. The only minor objection I have are the bags, they are to big. Each to their own of course... and the bags come off...

Notice that I put the word "ugly" in quotation marks. To my eyes, it is truly a very beautiful bike. But I have noticed that some persons have expressed the opinion that Ducatis are not styled to their liking. In this thread, I'll not say what I think of the styling of the bikes they like. To each his own.

Thanks again, Nikster.

• Like 1

I just mentioned it because in the first pictures I saw, the Hyperstrada did look much worse than the Hypermotard. So I thought it would look significantly worse despite being pretty much the same bike. I guess it was just poor photography - when I saw it in person it was just as gorgeous as its little brother.

One detail as an example: The hypermotard has this slick, clean back end. Looks fantastic, and is also highly unpractical. The hyperstrada has passenger grab bars that also double as a rear rack of sorts. Normally, you would expect that there's some compromise involved, e.g. the more practical solution comes at an aesthetic price; but not here, those grab handles are gorgeous. I am probably going to get them as an add-on wink.png

Edited by nikster

Been reading this topic with great interrest and will go visit Ducati Pattaya when I get home from work in about 10-14 days time.

I wonder how they sound? The Dukes always had a great sound but the water cooling might have dimmed that down?

Ah you are going all Italien eh nikster, your wife has a Vespa if memory serves me rightbiggrin.png

They look very cool on the pictures I must say and any bike enthusiast who don't like Ducati bikes are normally the ones who can't afford themwink.png

As a former Harley owner I am not into extreme sports bikes but I think I could live with a hypermotard (if my wife will allow me to buy one, which is not very likely)