Return Of Security Deposit

Is there any law or general rule that is followed in Bangkok regarding the return of security deposits on condo's or apartments ?

How much time do owners and or agents have in which to return security deposits ?

I was told prior to my move-out date that I would have my money in thirty days, and here we are five weeks and three days later and still no check in the mail as promised.

My condo was left in excellent condition and acknowledged as such just prior to my move-out date, so that is not an issue.

What recourse, if any, do I have in securing my security deposit in a timely fashion ?

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Any lease agrement should have the time specified in them, usually 1 month. As a minimum they will usually deduct a few thousend "to get the place cleaned up".

If it is specified in your lease agrement, check with your real estate agent or/and a lawyer, if not good luck (actually good luck in any case).

Is there any law or general rule that is followed in Bangkok regarding the return of security deposits on condo's or apartments ?

How much time do owners and or agents have in which to return security deposits ?

I was told prior to my move-out date that I would have my money in thirty days, and here we are five weeks and three days later and still no check in the mail as promised.

My condo was left in excellent condition and acknowledged as such just prior to my move-out date, so that is not an issue.

What recourse, if any, do I have in securing my security deposit in a timely fashion ?

Just keep asking nicely and keep your fingers crossed :o

Depending on the level of the deposit, you will have little prospect of going to Court. Not because of legal rights, but because a lawyer will cost more than the deposit.

I have only lived in two apartments in Thailand, but had no problem getting the security deposit back. If you had a telephone line, the landlord normally wait until the bill has arrived, which depending on timing can take a month or two.

Sophon

I got screwed out of a 40K deposit and I only stayed in the place a year. I do not trust these landlords. Good luck, I had none

David Duke

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Any lease agrement should have the time specified in them, usually 1 month. As a minimum they will usually deduct a few thousend "to get the place cleaned up".

If it is specified in your lease agrement, check with your real estate agent or/and a lawyer, if not good luck (actually good luck in any case).

ZZZ

Thanks for the information.

Just keep asking nicely and keep your fingers crossed :o

Depending on the level of the deposit, you will have little prospect of going to Court. Not because of legal rights, but because a lawyer will cost more than the deposit.

Dragonman,

My fingers are crossed.

I assume you have a receipt and other documents for the deposit.

The go and report the matter to the local police station,

In Thailand they deal with such matters.

astral,

I have all documentation, receipts etc. if I should need it.

If it comes to me having to go to the police, I may use that option.

I'm a landlord myself in Los Angeles, and I wish I could get away with holding tenants security deposits. Unfortunately, California is very heavily regulated and landlords must return security deposits within twenty one days, or the tenant can claim and receive interest from landlord for holding their money.

But, as we all say, TIT.

I have only lived in two apartments in Thailand, but had no problem getting the security deposit back. If you had a telephone line, the landlord normally wait until the bill has arrived, which depending on timing can take a month or two.

Sophon

Sophon,

I did have a DD phone, however, the bill has been in the possession of the landlord now for some time.

The landlord is simply holding on to my money as long as possible in order to make a few more baht in interest.