Non-O Extension (base on marriage) + work permit. Do I need to show 400K in the bank?

Hello everyone. I have been extending my non-O for the past 3 years without any issue presenting 400K in my bank account every time at the immigration.

Next February, I have to extend my non-O again and I have a work permit now. So, should I still have to show 400K in my bank account to extend my non-O? Or simply use the work permit for the extension?

Any clarifications would be much appreciated :)

Thank you very much for the help :)

I haven't paid any taxes yet because of my assumption that the threshold is 30K. If I go to the thai revenue department and start paying tax now, do I have to pay a fine or something since I got my work permit around August of this year?

If you are working for a company they are the ones that should be deducting taxes from your pay. Personal taxes are paid annually by 1st of April so you would not be fined for not paying them ahead by monthly payments. You can find info on taxes at www.rd.go.th

Edited by ubonjoe

I thought the minimum wage for employing a farang (American) was 60,000 Baht.

Can I understand from this thread that if you are on a Non O extension based on marriage, you can work for less than this - 40,000 Baht for example?

I thought the minimum wage for employing a farang (American) was 60,000 Baht. Can I understand from this thread that if you are on a Non O extension based on marriage, you can work for less than this - 40,000 Baht for example?

Minimum wage depends on nationality (and the job itself) and is only for getting an extension of stay based on employment. For a US citizen is 50,000 baht a month.

As said, it does not go for all jobs. Many people are exempt, like teachers, members of the media and people working for the government.

If you apply for an extension based on marriage, you have to show an income of 40,000 a month. (Even if you are a teacher for whom there is no minimum income requirement if based on employement).

• Like 1

The minimum salary requirement only applies to extensions based upon employment under clause 2.1 of police order 777/2551. For the US and most western countries it is 50K baht.

It does not apply to extension of stay based upon marriage.

• Like 1

I thought the minimum wage for employing a farang (American) was 60,000 Baht. Can I understand from this thread that if you are on a Non O extension based on marriage, you can work for less than this - 40,000 Baht for example?

Minimum wage depends on nationality (and the job itself) and is only for getting an extension of stay based on employment. For a US citizen is 50,000 baht a month.

As said, it does not go for all jobs. Many people are exempt, like teachers, members of the media and people working for the government.

If you apply for an extension based on marriage, you have to show an income of 40,000 a month. (Even if you are a teacher for whom there is no minimum income requirement if based on employement).

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you still have to get a verification of income from your Embassy?

What if you plan on marrying and stay in Thailand (temporary 1 year) but still make an income and pay taxes in the UK?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You would submit proof of income at the UK embassy to get an income letter from them.

What if you plan on marrying and stay in Thailand (temporary 1 year) but still make an income and pay taxes in the UK?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If your income is verifiable and equals or exceeds 40k Bht/month ask the British Embassy for a statement of income letter. The letter(together with other requirements) can then be used to secure an extension of say

Marriage if you can show the 400K. With income, apart from the extra documentation from employer, if you leave the position then your extension will be cancelled on the day of resignation/leaving. You must then leave the country and apply for a new Non 'O' and start extensions all over again.

Edited by PattayaPhom

Marriage if you can show the 400K. With income, apart from the extra documentation from employer, if you leave the position then your extension will be cancelled on the day of resignation/leaving. You must then leave the country and apply for a new Non 'O' and start extensions all over again.

Not correct

f you get an extension of stay it is based upon marriage not employment. Meaning if you loose your job you do not loose your extension.

It does not matter if you are using money in the bank or income.

Only extensions of stay based upon employment go away when you loose you job.

Not correct

f you get an extension of stay it is based upon marriage not employment. Meaning if you loose your job you do not loose your extension.

Isnt that what the OP wants to do, change to based on WP/Employment.

Not correct

That has not been mentioned. He already has a work permit and extension based upon marriage.

He asked about needing the 400K in the bank to keep his extension.

The poster has a choice of applying for visa through his work Permit or as Non-O (support Thai wife?). I am in the same situation as the poster. I checked with our lawyers and they advise that I may apply by either route; it is my choice if I fit the criteria for both. I therefore apply for Non-O (support Thai wife) showing evidence of Baht 400,000 in the bank, as this is far easier than applying through the Work Permit route and having to show company documents, company tax payments, personal tax payments, etc. My advice to him is to consider keep doing as you have been doing – apply for Non-O with Baht 400,000 in the Thai bank in your personal/sole account.

Not correct

That has not been mentioned. He already has a work permit and extension based upon marriage.

He asked about needing the 400K in the bank to keep his extension.

So just use the income instead of bank balance.....still on the marriage visa/extension.OK

Edited by PattayaPhom