Scuba Club Chiang Mai?

munkeyphist

Hi all,

New to Thai Visa, but have been in Thailand for a few years, and we (me and wife) are presently in the process of looking at property in Chiang Mai to buy, and live in 6 months + of the year.

This thread is in regards to individuals who might be interested in a Dive Club in Chiang Mai? I am a current, and in teaching status PADI MSDT/EFRI Instructor who is taking a leave of absence from the Industry to enjoy the amazing quality of life in Chiang Mai. Saying this though, keeping somewhat involved in diving is something I would like to do. Having a club that can provide Industry updates, provide Instructors for local pool sessions for "Refresher sessions", and maybe do Confined work for Open Water students and DSD's, and maybe even do "Scuba Try's" for guests at local Hotels (for a nominal fee, and for use of their pool). In addition, organize Dive Trips to places within S.E Asia?

Curious to know if anyone has attempted something like this, or even if there is enough interest in a local Chiang Mai Scuba Club?

Thanks

I agree on the Viz being below par in any of the local natural swim holes, unless there is a reservoir to be found. not sure about that though.

As with any business venture in Thailand, I am sure there are a multiple amount of hurdles in dealing with the local government :(

Nitrox filling at the Petronas Station would be an option...lol, but think the side effects might be slightly detrimental to ones health!

• Like 1

I have seen scuba diving training at the 700yr stadium. They use the high diving pool.
Not sure if it was a private group that you can join or whether it was a professional "forces" group for training.
Worth checking out if anyone interested in learning.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• 9 months later...

Anyone know where I can get a scuba tank filled in Chiang Mai ?

I've never heard of any here in town.
In Thailand I wouldn't trust any place other than one affiliated with  NAUI, or BSA. or P.A.D.I., and at that, I'd want it to be a 5-Star PADI shop!  All it takes is one small drop of oil in the intake...

Edited by FolkGuitar

If you were a diving instructor then you would know it's not good practice to dive where there is no decompression chamber present.

The nearest hyperbaric doctor to here is Satahip Naval base, and he is not always available. Phuket is also erratic and not assured.

And of course with a suspected bend you won't be flying anyway, but you knew that already right?

Any sort of diving here (except "discover scuba" in swimming pools) is just madness.

Edited by DaamNaam

Anyone know where I can get a scuba tank filled in Chiang Mai ?

Local fire station would be a possibility

I doubt it... I used to fill tanks for our local fire station back home. Emergency services didn't use more than 2-3 tanks per year, and buying a compressor and maintaining it for pure air quality is expensive. Our shop used to fill 2-3 dozen tanks a week in the summer time.