Train sleeper , how big are they?

zorro1

I want to join a friend in some train travel trips.

How big are the sleepers on Thai Trains? Im 6ft3" tall however I read on the train website that the bottom sleeper is 6ft 5" in length.

Can any one who has traveled comment on this?

I used to travel a lot 2nd class sleeper and had no problem that I remember, I'm 6' 4".

Now, I travel 1st class and get a separatee compartment with bunk beds which have plenty of room. ONly 1000 baht for the 4 of us - Khon Kaen to Bangkok.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies Sounds like it should be okay. Has any one else noticed they have discontinued the official booking website? I guess bookings will be done either at travel agents or the Main station.

I used to travel a lot 2nd class sleeper and had no problem that I remember, I'm 6' 4".

Now, I travel 1st class and get a separatee compartment with bunk beds which have plenty of room. ONly 1000 baht for the 4 of us - Khon Kaen to Bangkok.

is there a power point in 1st class?

I've taken second-class sleepers from BKK to Nong Khai and Hat Yai. Everything was fine. Keep your valuables safe, though.

I've also booked first class cabins from BKK to Hua Hin and Surat Thani to BKK. This was okay, but I'd only recommend this option if you know the person you'll be sharing the cabin with.

I like trains. They're safer than buses, but they're often quite slow.

I've taken second-class sleepers from BKK to Nong Khai and Hat Yai. Everything was fine. Keep your valuables safe, though.

I've also booked first class cabins from BKK to Hua Hin and Surat Thani to BKK. This was okay, but I'd only recommend this option if you know the person you'll be sharing the cabin with.

I like trains. They're safer than buses, but they're often quite slow.

For a guy named "Mr. Average," I'm surprised you didn't answer the OP's question about size.

• Like 1

I am 6'3" and easily fit in both upper and lower bunks, one word of caution if you do not know the person below you it is better to get a lower bunk, that way if you are an early riser you will be way more comfortable that waiting for the lower bunk person to wake up, so you will be able to sit down again..

Cheers:wai2.gif

go second class sleeper with fan, air con coach is far too cold!!

Not so sure that is great advice.....I did the no A/C sleeper once and the train stopped in the middle of the night in some swampy area and we immediately had swarm of mosquitos descend upon us with no a/c the windows were all wide open. I would rather be cold than be dinner for mosquitos....

• Like 1

I did an overnight sleeper for the first time last week (first time in a Thai train). It was an Express train, and even though slow, was not at all noisy inside the aircon 2nd class, and the stops and starts were not jerky as I had expected. I actually slept quite well. Also, I originally thought I would travel in the 1st class section, but after googling found out that the 2nd class sleepers are actually more conducive to sleep, because the rocking motion if any is better the way the seats are positioned lengthwise. Also there is lots of room in the bunk and the curtain is complete privacy.

Three hints: 1. take an extra blanket or jacket, it gets very cold (lightweight microfiber). 2. Use the large cotton blanket they give you to fill in the middle section for support. 3. reserve the bottom bunk (easier to go to the toilet etc.)

How about toilets? Are they clean? And is there any facility for having a shower??

is there a power point in 1st class?

Yes there is a power point...when I took a train to the South in a VIP cabin, the PP was midway up next to the door.

They might have 'em in some of the rooms....whether or not they'll work is another story.

Yes, take a SLEEPER. At least if you're in the "Land of NOD" when the train runs off the rails, as is quite common these days, you may die without even having to suffer from shock.

you may also die from a heart attack at home in your sleep which is quite common, but no one would find you for months rolleyes.gif

I always choose to sleep with my head away from the direction of travel. I hope you get the picture. In case of an accident--which is not unheard of in Thailand, my feet and legs will do a better job of absorbing the impact...better than my head and neck, that is.

Oh, and as for the toilets, they're pretty bad. On my last train trip the toilet doors did not have handles on the inside; I (and many others) had to pound on the door to get the attention of someone in the aisle to open the door. Beware!

I don't think I've seen a shower on the trains, but I could be wrong.

A bit off topic but one that might be useful:

As the years go by more and more sleeper trains are infested with bedbugs.

Thai trains are not more necessarily likely to be infested.

I suggest that you research bedbugs to learn how to make absolutely sure that you do not bring them along with you in your luggage.

http://www.wikihow.com/Protect-Yourself-from-Bed-Bugs-While-Traveling

Bedbugs are a problem in Thailand, they are a problem in America too.

In Chiang mai there have been multiple deaths due to improper insecticide use--they are that difficult to eradicate, though they are a nuisance and do not spread disease.