CELTA vs TEFL

ChrisB87

Hello teachers,

I am considering doing a full time teaching certificate and would like to hear some opinions on the CELTA and TEFL.

I plan to use it in Thailand, but would consider teach elsewhere as well.

So which would you choose: CELTA or TEFL? and why?

OR

If you have already done one, which did you choose, and why? And do you think you made the right choice?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

CELTA is a TEFL course. There are many different TEFL courses. CELTA is well known and has a good reputation, but it's expensive and hard work. If you just plan on teaching for a short time, rather than as a career, there are plenty of options. However, if you want a TEFL career, particularly if you plan on teaching adults rather than kids, CELTA is a good choice.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, teaching will be a career for me and i prefer teaching adults to kids.

Do you know if schools in Thailand make much of a distinction between the two certificates? (i.e would a secondary school prefer CELTA, whereas primary school TEFL?). It seems to me that teaching secondary students would be more like teaching adults than kids. At least that is my usual approach. (When i am teaching a teenager, i teach them like i would an adult, rather that a child)

Thanks again

Edited by ChrisB87

TA in CELTA stands for Teaching Adults. You are trained to teach adults in a language school environment. There will be no teaching practices in formal schools and no training to teach young learners. If you want this, pay extra for a 2-week CELTA extension. Most TEFL courses cover young learners and adults. Only a few offer teaching practices in local schools. Check if you want this.

Reviews of TEFL and CELTA course in Thailand:

http://www.teflcoursereview.com/courses/location/thailand/

• Like 1

Definitely do CELTA if you might be teaching in other countries. If you don't do CELTA, do the London Trinity TESOL. Never do a Thai cowboy TEFL course. If you don't do the Cambridge or the London Trinity, you are wasting your money.

IN my opinion the TESOL is the better.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Fortunately, I didn't usually teach English, I taught in English though. My experience with a long-term adult class that I had was that they were infinitely better at grammar than I was. They often told me about the rules. Once they enlightened me with knowledge, I could enlighten them with understanding.

I do admire those people that not only know grammar, but who can explain it succinctly.

• Like 1

From my experience the emphasis on Oxford English grammar in the CELTA course was a waste of time when dealing with adult learners. Having taught both university students as well as beginner adults, I found that the former were well versed in english grammar already and the beginners get very confused when trying to learn basic vocabulary and grammar at the same time. If one is to teach young students at an International school, extensive grammar knowledge becomes a necessity. The only schools that I am aware of that require one of the three courses are private language schools. Should that be ones choice, any certificate should do since they have established lesson plans to follow. Most adults are more interested in developing their verbal communications skills to an acceptable level rather than learning writing skills, hence the NES requirement of most schools.

From my experience the emphasis on Oxford English grammar in the CELTA course was a waste of time when dealing with adult learners. Having taught both university students as well as beginner adults, I found that the former were well versed in english grammar already and the beginners get very confused when trying to learn basic vocabulary and grammar at the same time. If one is to teach young students at an International school, extensive grammar knowledge becomes a necessity. The only schools that I am aware of that require one of the three courses are private language schools. Should that be ones choice, any certificate should do since they have established lesson plans to follow. Most adults are more interested in developing their verbal communications skills to an acceptable level rather than learning writing skills, hence the NES requirement of most schools.

CELTA is not a course for those who want to teach in regular schools. It's for teaching English as a foreign language to adults. Grammar is a component of this, and is a key part of the CELTA course as native speakers of English usually have very little, if any, knowledge of the rules of grammar or how it is applied. You cannot expect to teach a TEFL course to adults without this.

• Like 1

Do you want Paper or Plastic.

The only thing that I think is inaccurate is that the cost of the CELTA is only 5,000 baht more than most other TEFL courses.

What I would like to add is that TEFL courses in general apply more to language school teaching not public school jobs.

If you want some training, take a course. If you just want a job and already have a degree don't waste time or money.

Most things that you will learn in either courses you will learn in 1 year of teaching.

Thanks for the helpful responses.smile.png

I would like to add some additional info.

I have been teaching at language schools and some corporate businesses for 2 years now. I am just finishing an English degree, and where i am going next will probably be government schools, or maybe teaching ESL at government university. I may still continue with a language school, but it won't be my full time job.

I am looking for some training (I'm a self taught teacher at the moment) and something that adds to my CV to help me get a job.

I don't have much of a problem with grammar rules. We learn quite a lot of that at uni, but i would like some instruction on how to teach grammar (and everything else) effectively.

Thanks again,

Hope to hear more interesting suggestions and experiences.

It seems to me that teaching secondary students would be more like teaching adults than kids. At least that is my usual approach. (When i am teaching a teenager, i teach them like i would an adult, rather that a child)

Thanks again

Chris

I took the TEFOL course from Chichester which is one of the ones that schools look for. It was 4 weeks but prepared me for everything from Prathom to Adult teaching.

I had to laugh at your comment about high school kids though.

I have been teaching them for a year and a half and while Matayom 6 is close to being an adult class. There isno way i would try to teach Mat 1,2,3 like adults.

it has to be remembered that here the kids are not in my opinion at a mental stage to be treated that way. They for the most part at that level are still trying to decide if they are going to go past Matayom 3 or quit and get a job.

They are kids and for them especially at government schools have very little desire to learn as they have been promised to pass but have to be int he classroom for a 50 minute period once a week.

Adults on the other hand are in class because they want to be. They want to learn and will listen and be attentive.

As to whether a TESOL of CELTA is better I am not sure but I do know that better schools look at where you got the certificate and not what you got.

• Like 1

What you want is teaching certificate, right? Why are you asking CELTA or TEFL? these are not requirements to have the teaching certificate.

Maybe you just want to learn CELTA or TEFL to qualify and enable you to teach adults which you prefer to teach than children.

CELTA is very intensive but it is the most widely-recognised certificate for teaching adults. It will give you a good grounding, especially for teaching grammar confidently. I did mine in a month but there was also a 6-month option (back in the UK) though my local college which, with hindsight, would've been less stressful.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, teaching will be a career for me and i prefer teaching adults to kids.

Do you know if schools in Thailand make much of a distinction between the two certificates? (i.e would a secondary school prefer CELTA, whereas primary school TEFL?). It seems to me that teaching secondary students would be more like teaching adults than kids. At least that is my usual approach. (When i am teaching a teenager, i teach them like i would an adult, rather that a child)

Thanks again

I have a TEFL, the course lasted about 6 weeks, and was very difficult. I worked in both Prathom (primary) and Mattayom (secondary) government schools. If you want to teach adults, you would be better working in a Language School, and a CELTA is the way to go. In my experience, I would not say that teaching Mattayom kids is like teaching adults. Mattayom kids have been learning English since first grade, where in a language school, people of all ages start as beginners, and work their way up.

I have had Prathom kids in 5th grade who are much better than Mattayom kids in 9th grade. Some children want to learn and are a joy to teach, while others, mainly boys have no interest at all.

I did a TESOL course, and found it to be good value, even though it was only 1 week in class and then the rest was online.

As far as getting a job in Thailand, most schools won't even care whether you have one or not, and if they do, they probably won't make the distinction between what the standards. Schools in other countries might, or schools in Thailand which are managed by staff with more international experience might.

However, if I had the chance to do things over again, I'd probably take a CELTA course rather than a TESOL course.

The CELTA graduates I've met, all seem to have a much more detailed understanding English grammar and are able to explain it in a much better way than I can. As an English teacher, I feel like a bit of a dork when students ask me whether a sentence is in present continuous or something else tense, but I'm not sure of the answer. As it grinds on me having to explain that as native speakers we never had to learn about grammar at school.

If you start teaching grammar, the students will just get bored, start going on about abstract nouns and intransitive verbs etc, and your students will soon fall asleep. But you must use grammar when you are teaching to make sure sentences are constructed properly.

Bring on the articles! Asians do not undertsand them at all. 'The' and 'a' and 'an' are very hard particles for them to understand. It seems you want to be a professional, so do the CELTA because it makes you more valuable. Teaching in Asia is based on looks. If you are handsome and CELTA certified, you are gold here....for awhile. If you are not handsome, and western-looking, do the CELTA so you have something substantive on your ego wall. In all events, it is paper, and BS. If you do not have a degree in education, it is hard to find work with an international school (the only ones which pay very well). CELTA is a good option altogether for you.

And as an aside, I think the Brit certs have more weight than the others. Up the Empire!

Actually knowing more of your background, I would suggest that you should get certified as a teacher. In the long run getting a degree in education even online masters are good. You will open the door to better positions.

There are a lot of opinions written on this thread that I just cannot accept. I really don't understand how people can be so wrong and keep thinking that what they know or do is right.

In no way is CHINCHESTER (not spelled correctly) coveted or desired by schools. Even in Thailand it is not the leading school. Outside of Thailand it isn't known at all.

Any 120 hour course is nothing more than just a small foundation. It does little in the long run if you don't keep rebuiliding and learning more. The problemy with many of the TEFL courses including CELTA is that the aren't always run by people with background in teaching. Not that only those with degrees in education do a good job, but you can learn a lot of teaching best practices that are easily transferable to EFL teacing.

As for the comments on motivation betwen adults and younger learners really doesn't hold water. Adult classes where they pay for the class aren't any more motivated. Many students want the easy way.

Also you do a disservice to your students by assuming they are not capable of doing things. You would be surprised how much your students can achieve or how mature mentaly they are if you give them formative assignments that encourage them.

If you are having problems teaching, most likely you are the problem

CELTA is a TEFL course. There are many different TEFL courses. CELTA is well known and has a good reputation, but it's expensive and hard work. If you just plan on teaching for a short time, rather than as a career, there are plenty of options. However, if you want a TEFL career, particularly if you plan on teaching adults rather than kids, CELTA is a good choice.

There is also I believe a CELTYL course from the same stable. (YL = Young Learners, A = Adults) They are respected course, very intensive as others have said, and importantly they are Introductory courses ie a starting point for your career. They just give you the basics to get you started. In many countries they are the minimum qualification. In Thailand you need a degree too I think.

Alternative to CELTA or CELTYL is known as the Trinity Cert. Again just an intro course.

Many other so-called courses (less than 3 weeks) are not really worth the paper.

If you are going to be a career TEFL teacher, do the CELTA or CELTYL, get 2 years experience under your belt then find a DELTA (diploma level course.) This is a real qualification.

Actually knowing more of your background, I would suggest that you should get certified as a teacher. In the long run getting a degree in education even online masters are good. You will open the door to better positions.

You don't learn practical EFL teaching skills on a BEd or online Masters. They will help you obtain positions as subject teachers at International schools but they really do not contribute anything to the classroom skills of an EFL teacher.

Again, thanks for all the interesting responses.biggrin.png

@Zeichen. I am also considering a masters, especially M.Ed. I think that would be very helpful. That decision will come in a few years. I have to consider very carefully about what exactly i want it for and which one would be best.

And about the DELTA, i have thought about that. It seems like it could be good, but I'm not sure how much more recognized it is in Thailand than the CELTA (or equivalent) Anyone have and experience with this?

Delta is the diploma course. Some places consider it higher than a MA TESOL. It is very hard to get. If you are British then certainly do it. It will give you an opportunity to be an IELTS trainer or a CELTA instructor, and open doors for British Council. YOu can certainly do it if you are not British but some schools have a bias.

As for loaded's comments on practical application of skills learned through a degree in education or online Masters. Perhaps your's didn't or perhaps you don't have one and are making that assumption. However in my experience, you get out what you put into a degree. Besides, what kind of practical skills can you learn in a 120 hour course with less than 20 hours of classroom work, not much either. You get that experience by doing the actual job. It takes a minimum of 5 years to be an experienced teacher anyway.

Yes, some programs stress a lot of theory but good programs also show how to relate theory to practice. The online Masters that I did, had a portion that had to be done in class. So making blanket statements like you did, really just prove that you don't have something and are knocking it down.

wow...i am surprised some places consider the DELTA higher than a Master's in TESOL.

I will definitely look into these options later on smile.png

I don't know any. As far as I know only the British Council will possibly consider the DELTA the equivalent of a MA. That's because they work closely with IH/UCLES who sell them. It's a good course and if you are considering a career with the BC it's good to have one. In fact, get your foot in the door with the BC and they will sponsor the cost.

You don't need one to be an IELTS trainer or an IELTS examiner. IH and UCLES insist you need it to be an IH/UCLES CELTA trainer because they sell them.

I don't know any job outside of BC or IH that will pay you more for having a DELTA.

Edited by Loaded