Tourist Police and the Requirements to become one

Hi, I have a friend who has asked me to try and find out any information about living and working in Thailand as a Tourist Policeman.

I have no idea myself but some of you valued members on this forum may be able to supply some information about this topic?

Some of the questions he has asked:

1. Can a Farang work as a tourist Policeman? as he is an Aussie currently living in Australia but will very soon be travelling to Thailand to see his Thai Girlfriend.

2. What sort of entry visa would he need and how does he go about getting a work permit?

3. Will his ability to communicate with the real police require just basic Thai Language skills?

4. What sort of income would he make, or is it only volunteer work?

5. Is there an age level to join?

6.Is there any fees to pay to join?

7. Is there any experience required and or do the supply training?

Your valued input on this topic would be most appreciated,

Regards,

Tenacious

Have to ask, is your "friend" unable to read and/or write. In which case he may not get to first base.

I agree with "hugocnx" about people who get a "friend" to ask questions, makes you wonder if the "friend" also has to seek permission to go to the bathroom.

• Like 1

Like quite a few others in this room I likewise believe that your "friend" does not exist and that you're in fact asking for yourself. But let me try nevertheless to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge:

1. Can a Farang work as a tourist Policeman? as he is an Aussie currently living in Australia but will very soon be travelling to Thailand to see his Thai Girlfriend.

No, he cannot (or can a Thai national become a policeman in Australia?). He can apply as a tourist police auxiliary volunteer. He will not be permitted to carry any weapon nor make any arrests and is only allowed to act as a mediator between tourists and the real police.

2. What sort of entry visa would he need and how does he go about getting a work permit?

He already must have a long-term visa/extension of stay (short-term visa = no chance of landing a volunteer job) and work permit, both of which are his own responsibility. A work permit for becoming a tourist police volunteer is neither granted nor can he apply/get a visa on the basis of wanting to become a tourist police volunteer.

3. Will his ability to communicate with the real police require just basic Thai Language skills?

Good Thai skills are not necessarily required, but certainly will be of advantage when applying. There's a long cue of long-term residents, so chances of being accepted with only basic Thai skills are practically nil.

4. What sort of income would he make, or is it only volunteer work?

None, zip, zilch; it's VOLUNTEER work.

5. Is there an age level to join?

No.

6.Is there any fees to pay to join?

No, although I've heard that besides a basic uniform volunteers need to pay for any non-standard equipment themselves (cannot confirm this, though).

7. Is there any experience required and or do the supply training?

Volunteers receive full training and must also sit a series of exams. They also have to undergo psychological evaluation and background checks will be made whether they have any criminal record (locally or abroad).

Hope your "friend" is happy now and his "girlfriend" (who seems to like men in uniform for the sheer mucho power they exude), too.

As a TPV, you are also expected to be generally familiar with your locality, Thai rules and customs etc. If this person has never lived in Thailand he is unlikely to have any experience/familiarity of the area.

Simon

• Like 1

Sorry to sound negative but all I think is required is a superior attitude. Here in Pattaya, the Tourist Police volunteers (at least those under the age of 40) act as though it is all driven by ego. it is the much older gents that actually contribute any real help.

• Like 1

Tell your friend, all he needs is an inferiority complex that lets him feel good wearing a uniform but taking orders from the Thai police and doing the dirty jobs. Also, he has to be able to sleep at night after sending his fellow countrymen to jail so it would help to be a psychopath. It is an unpaid job, but you do get a small percentage of any drug busts that go down; of course it won't be easy, you will be the guy hiding in the bushes all night while the Thai cops are back at the station watching boxing...you just call them when you see the deal go down.

An alternative would be just go to Thailand and try to help people. Do something to help people that doesn't involve wearing a uniform and strutting down walking street. It isn't as ego-boosting but true charity isn't meant to be.

I hope this helps.

Tell your friend, all he needs is an inferiority complex that lets him feel good wearing a uniform but taking orders from the Thai police and doing the dirty jobs. Also, he has to be able to sleep at night after sending his fellow countrymen to jail so it would help to be a psychopath. It is an unpaid job, but you do get a small percentage of any drug busts that go down; of course it won't be easy, you will be the guy hiding in the bushes all night while the Thai cops are back at the station watching boxing...you just call them when you see the deal go down.

An alternative would be just go to Thailand and try to help people. Do something to help people that doesn't involve wearing a uniform and strutting down walking street. It isn't as ego-boosting but true charity isn't meant to be.

I hope this helps.

What a daft post laugh.png .

Think you have a fetish that your trying to quit regarding ''uniforms''...........laugh.png

What difference does it make whether someone has a uniform or not when helping his countrymen out.? rolleyes.gif

PS. I have been on this forum for years, many times l post to help folk out and l sit here in a ''Postman Pat'' outfit, is my help any different. cheesy.gif

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

I hope this helps.

What a daft post laugh.png .

Think you have a fetish that your trying to quit regarding ''uniforms''...........laugh.png

What difference does it make whether someone has a uniform or not when helping his countrymen out.? rolleyes.gif

PS. I have been on this forum for years, many times l post to help folk out and l sit here in a ''Postman Pat'' outfit, is my help any different. cheesy.gif

You know exactly what I meant. Don't pretend you don't.

A friend of mine has just joined, I don't know why as he has no money,so there`s no financial gain. but he is using it in my opinion just to get the ladies and he is doing very well it seems, I speak to him when I see him in walking street and he gets quite a lot of feedback off the ladies. he also said they are crying out for people so why don't I sign up, I declined,lol, he has told me a few stories and they have no power at all. a few days ago a pissed aussie was playing up and the top lady officer was there and he was verbally abusing her ,getting his cock out and telling her to suck it , after a long while of passifying him, what happened , they gave him a ride to his condo while all the time cursing, etc, and even when at his place he was having a go at them,lol, yes while I think they may diffuse many situations, drunkenness, angry ladyboys,lol, there presence helps I think, but what`s the point if they can`t do nowt, and why put yourself in jeopardy for nothing, there`s a lot of mad thai`s with knives and guns around the beach and walking street, and they wont think twice about killing you, police or not.

It is only volunteer work. And they don't get a work permit. Also it would not entitle him to a visa or extension of stay.

Most people doing it are already here on extensions of stay for other reasons.

It is an auxilliary, where many use their 'position' for 'face' and parade around with their credential around their neck - often bogus clowns.

There is no requirement to speak Thai or have any previous experience, but then, they are not paid

Wonder why people post on behalf of friends.

Sure, they are to shy (join the force?), they have no internet (duh?) and you name the rest.

Why hide behind a 'friend' when it is probably about your self you are asking.

I often post for friends who have no desire to join TV. You may have noticed the amount of idiocy posted...

Wonder why people post on behalf of friends.

Sure, they are to shy (join the force?), they have no internet (duh?) and you name the rest.

Why hide behind a 'friend' when it is probably about your self you are asking.

Maybe they are not a member of Thai Visa forum because they are afraid of the sarcasm and attacks on their posts.

I'm curious as to ones actual motivation to be a Tourist Cop. Is it a yearning to help others for free or is it a need to strut about in a uniform and the associated 'power' that comes with it. I guess you may have both... depending on the person.

"Volunteers receive full training and must also sit a series of exams. They also have to undergo psychological evaluation and background checks will be made whether they have any criminal record (locally or abroad)." Ah, would that they applied those standards to regular police. What is his problem? His girlfriend not order him around enough?

"Volunteers receive full training and must also sit a series of exams. They also have to undergo psychological evaluation and background checks will be made whether they have any criminal record (locally or abroad)." Ah, would that they applied those standards to regular police. What is his problem? His girlfriend not order him around enough?

Whether they apply those standards to the regular police is immaterial as I believe they do NOT want ex-policeman or service personnel, at least that was what I was told at a recruitment campaign several years ago on Koh Samui. No one was prepared to elaborate on this ruling - anyone else have any ideas?

Removed some more troll posts about dickead (sic), foreskin, wanke_r, etc and he replies to them.

Seeing how this topic has degenerated into trolling, with no useful information being added, it is now closed.

mfr_closed1.gif