Heads Up - US Embassy ACS

I addition to strictly enforcing the appointment system the Embassy has added a new rule. They will no longer admit Thai family members on your visit. They only admit them if their presence is necessary to accomplish what you need to do. In the past I have always taken my wife, but this time she was not allowed to enter and had to wait outside with other disgruntled families. I asked the "coordinator" at the door and he said that it was a new policy and they would send the families across the street to the large office building for shelter if it was raining. So don't take your spouse or Thai family with you unless their presence is necessary. I was there when they opened at 0730 with my appointment slip or my annual Income Affidavit and was processed and gone by 0810. The waiting room at ACS was basically empty since the only ones there were those with appointments. He also said that if your family were US citizens that they would be admitted and not turned away.

You can pay your fees by credit card, visa, master charge and American Express but, for some reason, they will only accept AX if it is issued in the US. Mine is issued in Thailand so they wouldn't accept it even though I had sent them an email regarding paying by credit card and they sent back confirmation that all three were acceptable. The girl tried to tell me that when asked they always answered that only US AX was accepted but when I pulled out a copy of the email that they sent me and showed her she suddenly became "Thai"! Such is life!

I suspect that the Thai issuers of the Amex card charge a considerably higher commission than the US issuers. The same is true in parts of Europe and Amex cards issued are often refused by restaurants and hotels whereas Visa cards and Mastercard are accepted with a smile.

• Like 1

Policy is clearly stated on web site as below - they sent a tweet on this a few weeks ago - you might want to follow them on tweeter as they are quite active and often have good information. https://twitter.com/ACSBKK

For the safety of all of our customers and staff, all visitors to the Embassy must pass through security screening before entering the building. To avoid excessive wait times, only customers with appointments or those experiencing legitimate emergencies will be allowed through security screening. Please do not plan to bring guests inside the building with you.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

• Like 1

They have had a notice abut it on the website for a while. There is a space on appointment page to put the name a person accompanying you.

The space on the appointment page to put the name of a person accompanying you only exidts on the first two types of appointment pages, not the last two!

Please choose only one service for your appointment. If you seek multiple services, check only one box below for the first service to make the appointment for all services. Add visa pages to undamaged, valid U.S. passport. Passport services other than adding pages. Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the childs first passport, Report of Birth and Social Security Number. Request notarial and other services not listed above.

Also, you are not permitted to bring in a backpack, even if empty. I was hassled over that, but when I was in the ACS office I saw several women's purses bigger than my *empty* backpack (all I carried was some documents which I was required to remove from the backpack), and a fellow was there with a book bag full of books which also was bigger than my backpack.

• Forbidden Items and Entry Regulations

forbid_items.png

NO backpacks, suitcases, or large bags/handbags

NO laptops, tablets or MP3 players

NO cameras, electronic chargers and ear plugs

More restricted items

If you fail to follow these security requirements you may face delays or cancellations to your visit.

• Embassy security procedures require that all visitors receive a security inspection. You will be allowed to check one cell phone at the Embassy gate but the US Embassy and local guards are not liable for any loss or damage to your cell phone while it is checked. You will NOT be allowed to enter the U.S. Embassy for your appointment carrying any of the following items:

Any other battery-operated or electronic devices such as computer tablets, digital diaries, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, laptops, or portable music players.
      Any oversize shoulder bags or purses.
      Any oversize handbags and travel bags, large back-packs, briefcases, or suitcases. Applicants can only carry in clear bags containing papers needed for their appointment
      Any food item (a coffee stand with snacks is available).
      Sealed envelopes or packages.
      Cigarettes / cigars / match boxes / lighters.
      Any sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files.
      Weapons or explosive materials of any kind.
      The list provided above is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff. Other than the one allowed cell phone, the US Embassy will not accept the storage of any of the above prohibited items. You will have to make alternate arrangements to store these items before you enter the Embassy.
      Tips to make your visit easier and more productive:
      Please have all necessary forms/documentation completed and ready to present to an Embassy official.
      Bring a printed copy of your appointment confirmation page.
      Have your Passport and/or government-issued ID ready and easily accessible.
      Bring no more than one small electronic device, such as a cell phone or MP3 player – do not bring laptops or photographic equipment –and have the device out and ready to present to the security guard before you enter the screening area.
      Check in at Window 3 and give our staff a copy of your appointment confirmation printout upon arrival in our waiting room.
      Feel free to use the telephone by the guard booth. Dial x4000 to reach an English-speaking Embassy employee if you have any questions.”

The Embassy also recommends that you call to verfy your appointment not a great deal of confidence in their apointment page.

Where does it say that anywhere. I have been doing appointments for years and never done it. I just show print out of appointment on entry.