Sandwiches, Subs, and Wraps

Mekong Bob

Do the Mcdonald's in CM have the "Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Wrap?"

Edit: What's the general opinion on Mike's Origional Burger's? I think the beef is better quality than burger king and cheaper also. However BK's do taste better.

Mikes original burgers have been gone for years. He sold out and now it is definatly not the same.

I didn't know that. I do know he's done really well from franchising though. From memory i think his franchise fees are ฿500,000++. How many franchises has he sold now, 7?

I will give that Amazing Sandwich a try.

I don't miss western food much but every now & then I crave a good burger or a BLT

Dukes does a good burger IMO

But the place I have tried a few times ( mentioned here often but will not name them ) for BLT's

has really gone downhill on the BLT & of course prices recently up.

I am not kidding went in the other day the one half of the sandwich had a piece of bacon about 1.5 inches long by 3/4"

The other half about the same

They should call it a bLT not a BLT smile.png

post-113252-0-73963100-1382954287_thumb.

Edited by meechai

I didn't know that. I do know he's done really well from franchising though. From memory i think his franchise fees are ฿500,000++. How many franchises has he sold now, 7?

I could be wrong, but I always had the idea that whoever bought the rights to the original place was selling the franchises. I don't think that Mike has been involved since back then.

I have heard rumors that he might be coming back to Chiang Mai and setting up a type of restaurant that he has not done before. That would be welcome news as he has a pretty good track record when it comes to Western food.

• Like 1

re

Someone said that it is "behind Wat Prasing", but I looked for it when I was in the area and did not see it

probably me :)

looking at wat prah singh front gate

turn right to the traffic lights and turn left

go down the side of w p singh and bear left with the road outside red shirt h q and its in front of you under the green arrow :)

re

Nice tip you left them Dave, last of the big spenders here in Chiang mai

tip .. tip.. are you mad ?

i kept that 15 baht for at least a week and gave it to

a little lovely i met in a bar along with my phone number !

but she never did call me :(

i wonder why :(

dave2

post-42592-0-55158000-1382964085_thumb.j

post-42592-0-30237600-1382964129_thumb.j

Where is burger queen?

Someone said that it is "behind Wat Prasing", but I looked for it when I was in the area and did not see it.

It is.

Just a small place. With Wat Phrasing to your back look down Suthep road. I believe on the corner right behind the Wat is a coffee shop and right next door to it is Burger Queen Both on the left hand side of the street.. My Grandmother could hit Wat Phrasing with a rock from there. It has been over a year so not sure if it is still there.

Like I say for the price it was a good burger. I believe around 50 baht.

• 6 months later...

So I have been looking for cheap sandwich options lately but am coming up short. I have had Amazing Sandwich before and it is really good but far outside my normal budget. I was thinking I could simply go and buy ingredients (bread, meat, cheese, mustard/mayo, lettuce, tomato) at the store but even that is proving expensive. I live near KSK and have no transport other than my legs so Tops is really my only option. Am I just missing all the cheap stuff there when I walk through? or is getting a cheap sandwich in Chiang Mai not possible? Last time I went, I spent like 200b on just bread and meat for a very very basic sandwich and only got like 4 sandwiches made from that. I think I must be missing all the cheap stuff somewhere; thoughts?

davidjleys, if you are up for a bit of a walk Food4thought does good sandwiches for 80 baht. They do wraps as well and I find the wraps to be more filling. And drinking water is free!

The first time you go there it may be a bit hard to find. The easy way (and the longer way) is to go up Huey Gaew Road until you hit the Canal Road. Turn right and go about one short block. As soon as you pass the V Residence turn right. It's about 20 meters down that street and it is not signed very well, but you will find it.

When you exit Food4thought turn to the right and you will find a back road leading you into The Harbour. The second time you go to Food4thought (if you return) this back street is a shorter way to get there.

They have a Facebook page with a map if you want to check it out. They are closed Sunday and Monday, and close everyday at 5 PM.

Don't think you are missing out on any secrets, except possibly Makro for cheese (only place I've found with reasonably priced cheese. I buy the two kg red Gouda "light" balls).

Western food here is extremely expensive compared to Thai food. Fortunately, Thai food is great and most of the time I am more happy to eat Thai food.

PS. If anyone has a good tip for where to buy good roastbeef, please share. Do not like the TGM-product at all.

And from the fat food chains mentioned in the pdf, which are available in Chiang Mai? One I think!

What's the point of this post?

saai.gif

consumer education. smart shopper. healthy choices. need for nutrition facts from Thai Ministry of Health..........

To be honest with you I think the daily specials at subway are the cheapest. To make them at home you have to buy so much more than you need and it might not keep long enough for you. I like the Amazing sandwich but it is more costly. Also the bread there is fresh every day. I make sandwiches at home and have to remember to plan on them for a few days or the bread will lose it's freshness.

If you find some thing cheaper let us know how good they are.

Edited by northernjohn

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

davidjleys, if you are up for a bit of a walk Food4thought does good sandwiches for 80 baht. They do wraps as well and I find the wraps to be more filling. And drinking water is free!

The first time you go there it may be a bit hard to find. The easy way (and the longer way) is to go up Huey Gaew Road until you hit the Canal Road. Turn right and go about one short block. As soon as you pass the V Residence turn right. It's about 20 meters down that street and it is not signed very well, but you will find it.

When you exit Food4thought turn to the right and you will find a back road leading you into The Harbour. The second time you go to Food4thought (if you return) this back street is a shorter way to get there.

They have a Facebook page with a map if you want to check it out. They are closed Sunday and Monday, and close everyday at 5 PM.

Shockingly have never heard of this place before. Might have to check it out in the near future (after payday). Thanks for the info!

Don't think you are missing out on any secrets, except possibly Makro for cheese (only place I've found with reasonably priced cheese. I buy the two kg red Gouda "light" balls).

Western food here is extremely expensive compared to Thai food. Fortunately, Thai food is great and most of the time I am more happy to eat Thai food.

PS. If anyone has a good tip for where to buy good roastbeef, please share. Do not like the TGM-product at all.

Meh, that is what I was afraid of. I guess my dreams of a made-at-home 30 baht American-Style cold cut will remain in the dreams. I do love my Thai food but have really been craving sandwiches lately. I think one of these days I will just have to splurge with like 1k baht on sandwich stuff at tops, that should last me for a bit hopefully(longer than at subway anyway).

To the best of my knowledge there is only two Burger Kings and two Subways here. The subways are the same the world over. They buy the pre sliced meats and it is up to you what goes on it. There are four McDonald's as far as I know could be more wait for the two new malls to open.

The rest of the mentioned fast food outlets are not as yet in Chiang Mai although there is smaller shops around town. The best is in my opinion Amazing Sandwich.

Funny they didn't mention the KFC several of them around.

36_10_4.gif

There is a new Subway about to open in the ghost-town shopfront complex just after MeeChok Plaza (same side as Tesco).

I spotted the signs this morning, it's only the second shopfront out of 100 built this year, actually rented.

If you want a satisfying sandwich experience,

Try "Easy cafe" under the NakornPing Residence just off Huay Keow Road.

Fried chicken sandwich, 3 strips of fried chicken, tomato, onion, green pepper, mayo for 50bht including a mug of tea.

The bread isn't much cop, but with all the filling, it hardly matters.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

A reasonable Burger can be found upstairs at Makro Hang Dong--at California Wraps--it's gone up in price a bit but still OK.

And, for a sandwich carry on out of town to the Samoeng Crossroads--go left towards Nong Kwai/Samoeng and about 500 metres down there on the left side is a Bakery called Grace--they bake their own bread and cakes and they do a reasonable BLT for 80 Baht--other sandwiches are 65 baht.

Hey Dave, where is Ragu? Those sandwiches look really good.

Meanwhile. I will second and third the endorsement of Amazing Sandwich on Huay Kaew Road. Right next door to Shinawatra Silk. Good sandwiches that you design yourself, using a handy order form, and also very good breakfasts, served all day. And at the back counter they sell their own condiments and an excellent meusli cereal, better and cheaper than the western brands at Tops and Rimping.

Ragu is downstairs at the Promenanda. I've tried to go 3 times now but every time I go with the family they always want the Dukes at the last minute so I'm out-voted! I'll drop in alone next week. See you soon Dave and thanks for the photos.

Edited by elektrified

theDukes Dave, we really need better dining options around Nimmenhaemin. I know you changed your plans with Maya (although I don't know why) and myself and many other foreigners around here really miss your place because all of the locations are too far away.

Give Nimmen some thought. I know the rents are high but with your reputation you wouldn't need a prime location. People would go out of their way to get to your place.

attachicon.gifRoast Beef Sandwich.pngattachicon.gifMeatball Sandwich.pngattachicon.gifTurkey Sandwich.png

Just wanted to give you an idea of what we are doing at Ragu. Fresh bread and great sandwiches. Along with some other great Italian food.

Dave

Dave. A great sandwich starts with great bread and you nailed it!!! THANKS!!! Can't get that "CRISPY" outer crust in too many places in Chiang Mai!! DELICIOUS!!!

• Like 1