Have you any friends?

kevvy

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got one good friend back in the UK and three friends in Thailand, one English guy and two Thais.

If you look at them individually you'd be hard pressed to spot anything that immediately says 'these people are any respects alike' and yet on occasions when I have introduced them to each other they've always got on really well.

But here's some advice I had from my grandfather.

Cultivate young friends as you get older - your old friends are going to leave you, if they are all about the same age, they'll all leave about the same time.

• Like 1

I think we always judge having a friend with what we remember from our earlier lives back in our homelands. These people we have probably known for 10-30 years.

Not so likely to meet friends like these again probably more to do with the nostalgia than anything but its normal to feel this way.

Just get out there and try to meet people. Some you may like, others not so much but meeting people is actually quite helpful as it reminds us of the person we might want or not want to be!

Like the importance of money, friends are in greater and lesser demand depending on age.

For example, growing up it's easy to have 30 friends at your b-day party.

50 friends in high school, simply from doing sports. and going to classes

20 friends in college, or up to 40, from classes and activities

5-10 friends from work, but some you get sick of

then it gets interesting....

i don't want to hear them complain about their wife 24/7.

i don't want to hear them complain about their life 24/7

a little complaining is fine, of course, but not every time.

so they get married, have kids, and then they call you for relief. that gets old.

so then you get married.....and care less about co-workers....so then friends go down to say 5

the ONLY person you have to be friends with first is yourself. ask yourself this question.

I have many good friends in Thailand, My closest friend is my wife, her mother and father actually the entire family and 3 of my neighbors we do a lot of things together.

I have a few expat mostly acquaintances that i met on TV we like to make our own food and have our hobbies in common, I do not get to know them much better because most want to come visit alone, My wife is involved in all my activities and a friend must be willing to involve their families in our activities, I do nothing that excludes my wife, she as my best friend must be involved.

My neighbors over the years have had family emergencies, we watch their house water the plants and feed their animals and they do the same for us. a very busy and enjoyable life.

Cheers:

• Like 2

I have a couple of friends, maybe a few, locally from whom I could expect help if i was in need, though with limitations. A couple of them I have known and worked with for several years. I have a couple or even a few friends with whom I have maintained contact for 20-over years, but I don't see them all every decade. It's a long time since I visited an acquaintance or friend in hospital (the mark of a friend is not what they would do for you but what you would do for them, as I am sure JFK would have said were the topic to come up...)

I think I have few friends, and in thinking about it, that is partly through lack of cultivation, Thanks for the timely reminder

SC

I was thinking about my earlier post, and I suppose you don;t know who your true friends are until they call on you.

There's not many here I would give more than a couple of days' leave to, not more than a week's salary to, were they overcome a bit short of cash.

As for the hums with whom I have kept in touch this last few decades, I've not thought in detail what I would refuse them or otherwise, and fortuitously, the question has not been called.

I had a remote relative asked if I could sort out a job, and fortuitously I did not, as she was in trouble that I would not want to get involved in, and in which I could not have helped

SC

I was thinking about my earlier post, and I suppose you don;t know who your true friends are until they call on you.

There's not many here I would give more than a couple of days' leave to, not more than a week's salary to, were they overcome a bit short of cash.

As for the hums with whom I have kept in touch this last few decades, I've not thought in detail what I would refuse them or otherwise, and fortuitously, the question has not been called.

I had a remote relative asked if I could sort out a job, and fortuitously I did not, as she was in trouble that I would not want to get involved in, and in which I could not have helped

SC

When I was very young, I read something that left me feeling slightly depressed.

What I read was a chapter from a book which claimed that most middle-aged men have no real or close friends. As a youngster, reading this was quite upsetting.

These days, I know the score. I have no friends. And I have no desire to have friends.

Instead, I have:

1. clients

2. acquaintances

3. work colleagues

4, people I knew at school and university

5. people who I've known for a very long time

6. drinking pals

7. golf buddies

8. immediate and less immediate family

When reading ThaiVisa, I really cringe at what I consider to be the "neediness" and emotional instability of very many other forum members.

i dont have friends because i am needy. i have friends because i have friends

• Like 2

I've got one good friend back in the UK and three friends in Thailand, one English guy and two Thais.

If you look at them individually you'd be hard pressed to spot anything that immediately says 'these people are any respects alike' and yet on occasions when I have introduced them to each other they've always got on really well.

But here's some advice I had from my grandfather.

Cultivate young friends as you get older - your old friends are going to leave you, if they are all about the same age, they'll all leave about the same time.

In the last 3 years,four of my friends have proved your statement above correct. It's been a case of: it must be me next!

Who fancies a pint in Edinburgh over Christmas?!!

I'll be in Edinburgh just before Christmas for exams at the university, I'll be staying at my place in the New Town and almost certainly have a few jars in the Barony Bar. I'm going to be on a tight schedule but if I can squeeze some extra time I'll let you know.

I'd kill for a Cally 80 right now.

• Like 2

After reading all the posts, I'm not sure if this is specific to Thailand or I haven't seen the question asked before for other countries, but it seems a lonely place? Not as great as its cracked up to be?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Who fancies a pint in Edinburgh over Christmas?!!

I'll be in Edinburgh just before Christmas for exams at the university, I'll be staying at my place in the New Town and almost certainly have a few jars in the Barony Bar. I'm going to be on a tight schedule but if I can squeeze some extra time I'll let you know.

I'd kill for a Cally 80 right now.

I'm there from the 19th December till the 28th. Only day i can't have a drink is the 21st because my nephew is getting married. New Town -posh!!

Edited by Patsycat

Since retiring and moving here last February the one thing that I truly miss about work (actually, the only thing) is my friends. Here I have no friends, save for my g/f. I use Skype to talk to friends from back home, but it's not the same. But I kind of expected that and I accept it. Life is about trade-offs. I'm a lone wolf anyway, so being by myself while my g/f is working is ok. When I am out and about by myself my iPod is my best friend.

• Like 2

There's a financial theory that I've come to believe in:

Look at your circle of friends, and generally in 5 years you will be in the median of that circle when it comes to financial status.

For me, I don't really have a life in Thailand outside of a crazy work schedule, so not much time or energy to cultivate social relationships of any nature.

Key word is cultivate, because it takes work to maintain real friendships. The work may be pleasant, but it is work nonetheless.

After reading all the posts, I'm not sure if this is specific to Thailand or I haven't seen the question asked before for other countries, but it seems a lonely place? Not as great as its cracked up to be?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are loads of great people around to meet and hang out with. But you have to get yourself out there, they aren't going to be knocking on your door to meet you. Join a club, take Thai lessons, learn to dance. Hiking, tennis, cycling, swimming, all great ways of meeting new people and making friends.

It really is up to you.

Last week I went out in the day about 6 times, each time with different friends.

Out in the evenings twice, the rest of the time I spend with my wife and children.

• Like 1