Gasohol 91 / 95?

cooked

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea, but my Ninja definitely prefers 95 pure, even if my wallet doesn't.

High performance engine needs Oct 95 or Oct 98

In Australia we sell Octane 98 at the pumps and that's what all rev heads prefer to use, to prevent pinging, knocking or early detonation.

That has always been my thinking, we can't get 98 over here but in the UK I ran my 911 on 98.

SDM

So I am still wondering why she said not to use Gasohol 95.

Not to denigrate the lady, but she had no clue. She probably believes what she told you to be true; however, its not correct.

High compression engines require higher octane so that the engine does not "ping" usually under hard acceleration. Pinging results when the fuel mixture is ignited while the piston is still traveling up to top dead center. Its like a collision of burning fuel and upward piston travel. The higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel mixture burns, avoiding the collision.

To the point, buy the octane rating your car is designed to use; buying more octane than the engine requires is a waste of money. If your car can run on 91, 95 and E20, I'd use E20 because its cheaper. I have a Honda CBR250, that can run on 91, 95 and E20, so I use E20. And yeah all the motorcycle experts flame me for using it, 555

Wife's Yaris runs great on E20 other fuels make no differents same with my Versys try all the fuels just for the crack and no differents if there was I would have had it checked out on the computer.

Last post is pretty much the point I try to point out with modern engines after a computer diagnosis check on car or bike if the particular engine design is using octane rated fuel for what its designed for there should be no noticeable differents the ECU adjusts to other fuels used, IMHO if you stick to the same fuel all the time it's a good call. smile.png

Happened to watch a Brit motoring program on Discovery yesterday afternoon. Fifth Gear series 21. They tested different fuels in a VW Golf GTI. The results were interesting and an accurate explanation of RON values was given.

I'm sure it will be on You Tube for all to see.

Take a look and consider the results.

Jerry

• Like 1

Happened to watch a Brit motoring program on Discovery yesterday afternoon. Fifth Gear series 21. They tested different fuels in a VW Golf GTI. The results were interesting and an accurate explanation of RON values was given.

Jerry

Interesting maybe but Brit programme ! RON UK values OK do they give a comparison to how it would compare to say fuels in Thailand ???

Jerry

Interesting maybe but Brit programme ! RON UK values OK do they give a comparison to how it would compare to say fuels in Thailand ???

Both Thailand and the UK use RON values to identify the octane rating of gasolene. It's an International Standard. So it's reasonable to assume 91 RON or 95 RON are pretty much the same in both countries. Therefore, technically the Brit findings are directly comparable and valid.

It's possible poor quality control in Thailand results in Thai fuels only just (or not even) meeting specification and are (well) below normal minimum standards. In my opinion this is true of PTT fuel which I avoid if at all possible.

It doesn't matter how the octane rating is identified, as AKI/MON/RON numbers would be different for the same fuel sample. AKI being the only one that has any correlation to the other values.

Jerry

• Like 1

I've found the ECU does exactly as Kwakers says.. I run on E20 in the Urban Areas and E85 on Highways. Cruising on E85 @2000Rpm shows a tiny drop,but one is being picky to notice, but in City/Urban its a clear 2KPL drop over E20. I've tried all the other more expensive fuel , and the gains are nothing over E20, which was a fact i refused to accept at first seeing as it cost me an extra 400 Bht a fill. Over the 50 K Cliks in 15 Months its averaged 15.5 Kpl,im happy with that for a 1.8 Civic driven quite sporty.Fill ups are 2000Bht on the nose for E20,1300 Bht for E85.coffee1.gif

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, good video!

The most powerful fuel was Shell V Power delivering 240.9 HP @1.45 Sterling Pounds.

The least powerful ASDA delivering 235.8 HP @1.36 Pounds Sterling/liter.

So the best fuel delivered 2% more power but cost around 6% more.

Some drivers will still pay the premium because they want the "best" for their vehicle or bike. Personally I'll take the savings and buy beer with it smile.png

And yeah, over the life of the vehicle, 6% is real money smile.png

* 6% calculated on UK prices; the price difference is even higher here in Thailand...

Edited by Lancelot

I've found the ECU does exactly as Kwakers says.. I run on E20 in the Urban Areas and E85 on Highways. Cruising on E85 @2000Rpm shows a tiny drop,but one is being picky to notice, but in City/Urban its a clear 2KPL drop over E20. I've tried all the other more expensive fuel , and the gains are nothing over E20, which was a fact i refused to accept at first seeing as it cost me an extra 400 Bht a fill. Over the 50 K Cliks in 15 Months its averaged 15.5 Kpl,im happy with that for a 1.8 Civic driven quite sporty.Fill ups are 2000Bht on the nose for E20,1300 Bht for E85.coffee1.gif

Is that the lastest City cause my daughters City E20 no E85. ??

My Kpl figures are on the good side because i don't do City , or any run under 60 Cliks,and leave the Eco Button on all the time,except for Mountains with ditherers pissin about. Average speeds generally 44,with a rare passengers on board.So not very typical i suppose.coffee1.gif

Any gains are minimal and really can only be measured under controlled conditions. As the level of control decreases, the measurement uncertaincies increase and meaningful data will be obscured by the errors..

A fuel flexed engine such as yours would actually reap some benefit from; say Gasohol 95, as higher compression ratios are achievable. Using; day to day usage as a measurement technique isn't an accurate method though and you can't realistically measure any differences.

My fuel experience with bikes in Thailand is very similar to a poster above and I now never use less than RON 95. There's a definite improvement in performance and gas mileage. The engines are designed more for performance than economy and benefit from the fuel. I only use V-Power and 95 gasolene in the car also.

Anyway if the cost of fuel becomes important and there's no apparent cost benefit in using premium fuels for day to day motoring. Use the cheap stuff.

I think you're shooting way too high with the E85 claims though. There's just not enough energy in the fuel at your level of compression.

Jerry