Gasohol 91 / 95?

cooked

I brought my Almera home yesterday and discovered that my usual filling station only has gasohol 95. The lady that handed the car over to us told us not to use gasohol 95, but 91, as this would damage the engine. Is this correct? It is not always easy to find 91 apparently, so I am interested in the opinions of you guys.

Thanks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your almera will run on E20 also, so use that....you will find no detectable benefit in an eco-car by using the higher octane petrol, especially 95. I've recorded statistics for my suzuki swift for both e20 and e10 (91 gasohol), and found very little difference in fuel consumption between them - not enough to justify the large price difference anyway. The PTT stations normally have e20. I will only use e10 if I can't get the e20.

^+1

Both 91 and 95 are 10% alcohol.

95 has a higher octane rating than 91. High compression engines require higher octane

Your owners manual will tell you the correct fuel(s) to use and I suspect your car will run well (and save you some fuel costs) on E20

Happy driving!

Use E20 as it was designed for your car, if you live in Bangkok you can use E20 from Shell as well, it supposed to be available outside Bangkok at years end

E20 is availaible at many other filling stations nationwide (upcountry included) for at least 2 years or so.

I used it and found that there is an increase in fuel consumption compared to 91 (E10) which eats up the price advantage.

So I use 91 ever since (Mazda2 bought in 2011). as 91 (E10) is available at every station on my usual paths.

95 damaging motor: rubbish or misunderstanding!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Use E20 as it was designed for your car, if you live in Bangkok you can use E20 from Shell as well, it supposed to be available outside Bangkok at years end

E20 is availaible at many other filling stations nationwide (upcountry included) for at least 2 years or so.

I used it and found that there is an increase in fuel consumption compared to 91 (E10) which eats up the price advantage.

So I use 91 ever since (Mazda2 bought in 2011). as 91 (E10) is available at every station on my usual paths.

The OP should test the difference between the fuels - I found hardly any difference between E10 and E20. I would need to record something like a 2km/l difference between them for it to be worth using 91. if there was a difference it was only a few tenths of km/l. The mazda 2 might be difference though, as it tends to use more fuel than the eco-cars anyway. It terms of performance, I just got better acceleration by changing the air filter to k&n :)

Edited by culicine

Sorry, I just found an online version for the Almera on line:

Gasoline engine (model with three–way
catalyst)
GUID-C2CEEF81-4F44-4719-A071-99D42B048FAD
CAUTION:
Do not use leaded gasoline. Using leaded gasoline will damage the three-way catalyst.
Use UNLEADED REGULAR gasoline or gasohol (up to
E20*) of at least 91 octane (RON).
*: Gasohol is alcohol blended gasoline. For example,
“E20” is a mixture of approximately 20% fuel ethanol
and 80% unleaded gasoline.

So I am still wondering why she said not to use Gasohol 95.

catalyst)

CAUTION:

Do not use leaded gasoline. Using leaded gasoline will damage the three-way catalyst.

I think she doesn't know much or is confused. It will just be a waste of money to run on 95. Where you have a problem is if you run a car needing 95 on a lower octane petrol - because most of the mass market Japanese cars here don't seem to have knock sensors, though I think the honda accord v6 is an exception. Not sure if European cars have knock sensors though.

I've heard about these E85 kits, but I don't know if they replace all parts that can be damaged by such high ethanol. It's a cheap alternative, but not if it destroys components and invalidates warranty. I've seena lot of cars get converted but it seems like a risk during the warranty period. And not a lot of stations have E85 as yet.

catalyst)

CAUTION:

Because she just might have no clue what she´s talking about coffee1.gif I often noticed that the sales staff here isn´t as dedicated to the product as you might expect them to be.

But that really makes me wonder, every major car brand in Thailand has E20 capable engines and also advertises that fact a lot. How could a sales person miss that?

As others recommended already, check if you can use E20 and how your car "likes" it. Wife´s Lancer EX seems to run best with E20. Gasohol 91 felt "not so good" (mileage, power)

Gasohol 95 was like E20, hardly any difference, E85 felt good but had a very low mileage result. I never bothered to calculate if E85 is worth it, the cause it´s not available everywhere.

E 85 nearly matches E25 when "Cruzin" at 2000RPM .In City conditions you notice a drop , but overall it saves a bit ,and strangely one cant tell a lack in performance, but i suppose there must be one. Having said that, neither does the 95 Best Stuff kick out more performace. coffee1.gif

catalyst)

CAUTION:

Don't worry use what ever gasoline or gasohol is available to you, E20 is the way to go when you come across it and mixing different brands and octane's is not a problem either. thumbsup.gif

Just don't put E85 or diesel in it. laugh.png

Enjoy your new motor. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

E85 had a massive impact on mileage in BKK traffic, only about 60% of what we usually had. I´d use more E85 if i could find it at my doorstep.

I don´t wanna claim that 95 gives me a lot more performance, but it "felt" better than Gasohol 91. Could be true, doens´t have to. My BMW only gets Shell Vpower, just for the peace of mind biggrin.png (No noticable effects)

E20 from PTT and Bangchak indeed but I was referring to Shell E20 which I believe quality-wise is a better fuel than than Bangchak or Pohtohtoh E20 ;) Actually I'm surprised Shell introduced E20 in Thailand as in terms of RON (98/99) it comes close to V-power which cost 7 B or so / liter more.. sure V power has friction modifiers and detergents and probably a higher calorific value and gets you a little further but THB 7,00/ liter.. Having said that, I now only put V-power Nitro Diesel in my Hilux and feel the engine runs smoother compared to other brands.. I'm also getting 860 km on a full tank compared to 810-820 km of non V power diesel..

The OP should test the difference between the fuels - I found hardly any difference between E10 and E20. I would need to record something like a 2km/l difference between them for it to be worth using 91. if there was a difference it was only a few tenths of km/l. The mazda 2 might be difference though, as it tends to use more fuel than the eco-cars anyway. It terms of performance, I just got better acceleration by changing the air filter to k&n smile.png

What was the improvement in acceleration you saw with just a filter change?

The OP should test the difference between the fuels - I found hardly any difference between E10 and E20. I would need to record something like a 2km/l difference between them for it to be worth using 91. if there was a difference it was only a few tenths of km/l. The mazda 2 might be difference though, as it tends to use more fuel than the eco-cars anyway. It terms of performance, I just got better acceleration by changing the air filter to k&n smile.png

What was the improvement in acceleration you saw with just a filter change?

I ran the car on the filter paper for a few thousand kms before I got the K&N. I put that in and ran if for a while....at that time i was more concerned about monitoring fuel consumption so didn't take a lot of notice about performance. Then after a while I put the paper filter back in and that's when I noticed that it seemed to accelerate as well from a standing start - it seemed more sluggish. Note: the paper filter is still quite clean during all this testing). I guess it makes sense if the paper filter is more restrictive. The other thing was high speed acceleration - with the k&n it seemed to get from 100 - 140 a bit faster than with the paper filter. So I think there is a slight improvement with the k&n. Also, there is a 1 km/l difference in fuel economy, in favour of the k&n, but that might be because the last couple of tanks have been run over the school holidays, so I haven't been stuck in traffic as much (13.5 km/l vs 14.6 km/l). I'll run the k&n for the next 4 weeks, then I'll put the paper filter back in and test it again. But I really bought the fliter because it's easy to clean and reuse. The one in my honda has been running for 200k kms wiithout a problem.

These guys could do an exhaust/header if you want a bit more power...I haven't done that yet though. http://www.lumheader.com/

\

Edited by culicine

• 2 months later...

Don't think that would be a good idea for a diesel car biggrin.png

i see,how about Shell V-Power Nitro+ Gasohol 95 ?any experience with it?

That Shell Fuelsave is a scam anyway. They even sell Fuelsave Diesel. How the heck should that work?

Your almera will run on E20 also, so use that....you will find no detectable benefit in an eco-car by using the higher octane petrol, especially 95. I've recorded statistics for my suzuki swift for both e20 and e10 (91 gasohol), and found very little difference in fuel consumption between them - not enough to justify the large price difference anyway. The PTT stations normally have e20. I will only use e10 if I can't get the e20.

I am using green 91 in my Mitsubishi Attrage. So is that the same as E10? Why do they use different names?

I notice a 2 baht difference at the moment between green 91 and E20. What about using E20 long term? I have heard the high ethanol can cause engine problems over a long period.

Thanks. Sorry, I'm really clueless about fuels.huh.png

91 green is E10.

E20 can be used without a problem if your car is specified for it.

Clearly marked on the filler cap.

Whether the 2 Baht advantage is worth using it: you have to test it, as E20 will mean slightly higher fuel consumption.

91 green is E10.

E20 can be used without a problem if your car is specified for it.

Clearly marked on the filler cap.

Whether the 2 Baht advantage is worth using it: you have to test it, as E20 will mean slightly higher fuel consumption.

E20 will be fine for these eco cars. I found little difference in fuel consumption between E10 and E20 in my swift, so I stick to E20 most of the time now.

• Like 1