2014 KTM RC390 Leaked info.

denkiblue555

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ More R150 or whatever the little Yammy 150 based on the R6/R1 is called.

They've certainly taken modern stealth design to the next level. I guess that this and the ninja 300 are going to be the designs that future (smaller) sports bikes are based on. All sharp edges and OTT extremism.

lovely looking bike... shame they didn't throw in V-twin though..... 'sports-bikes' above 250cc with a single cylinder doesn't seem right to me ?

324 pounds (dry). That is the reason why they did not bother with a twin.

So wet it would be about 162KG (357lbs) similar to the new Cbr300

lovely looking bike... shame they didn't throw in V-twin though..... 'sports-bikes' above 250cc with a single cylinder doesn't seem right to me ?

Actually it holds 10 liters so about 21 pounds of fuel

So more like 345 lbs wet

Look at it more like almost 100 pounds lighter than a cbr500 & about the same horsepower

but with much better suspension & components.

I agree that a twin would have been the way to go with this but this is a big improvement over

anything in its size range.

Would have been a nice touch to have the frame modular so if crashed the rear section could be changed out

I also do not think weight was the deciding factor of it being a single.

Remember KTM does singles very well. In Moto3 they & Honda are the only competitive engines

This I think is the main reason that they went no further than a single

"""KTM RC390 is right at the limit of Europe’s A2 tiered-license scheme,"""

They are already hitting the limit

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

lovely looking bike... shame they didn't throw in V-twin though.....  'sports-bikes' above 250cc with a single cylinder doesn't seem right to me ?

Actually it holds 10 liters so about 21 pounds of fuel

So more like 345 lbs wet

Look at it more like almost 100 pounds lighter than a cbr500 & about the same horsepower

but with much better suspension & components.

I agree that a twin would have been the way to go with this but this is a big improvement over

anything in its size range.

Would have been a nice touch to have the frame modular so if crashed the rear section could be changed out

I also do not think weight was the deciding factor of it being a single.

Remember KTM does singles very well. In Moto3 they & Honda are the only competitive engines

This I think  is the main reason  that they went no further than a single

"""KTM RC390 is right at the limit of Europe’s A2 tiered-license scheme,"""

They are already hitting the limit

You forgot the oil and water!!

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

^^ I shouldn't have written "dry" - That weight is actually "without fuel".....so I assume this means with all other fluids.

Here are some more pics from the link:

wh7v.png

qdjd.png

tuc8.png

If it were priced remotely close to the Honda or Kawasaki (like around 200ish) it would be a wicked choice, but as someone mentioned above, IF it ever came here they'd be sure to price it at 390k.... shame, as I am guessing it is made in India and will probably be sold there for less than the Honda is sold for here.

Looks awesome I reckon...

Edited by denkiblue555
  • Like 1

^^ And the absolute icing on the cake would be if parts/engines could be swapped with say, some of the EXC range.

(not sure but I believe the 390 engine is based off the EXC-F 350 ??).

Many of the off-road models KTM makes have parts that can be swapped - like changing a 5-speed to a 6 etc.

It would certainly make for some interesting mods if it were possible.

Basicly a duke 390 - which is using the same chassis and most probably the same suspensions with duke 200 - with clip ons and fairing actually.

Same chassis, same wp suspensions, same weight.

Looks good though and i am sure it might be a joy to ride in bangkok and tight twisties.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13828501587959_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13828508177007_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Basicly a duke 390 - which is using the same chassis and most probably the same suspensions with duke 200 - with clip ons and fairing actually.

Same chassis, same wp suspensions, same weight.

Looks good though and i am sure it might be a joy to ride in bangkok and tight twisties.

The subframe looks different to me, I'd imagine there are a lot of similarities but I am hoping there are also a lot of differences!

But as you said it would be as 'duke 200/390' as possible to keep costs down.

I guess we'll have to wait until EICMA!

Regardless, it is always good to see more action in the sub-500cc market.

^

I think on duke 390, sub frame is closed by plastic panels.

So all duke 200, 390 and rc390 basicly the same apart from maybe some suspension tweaks and engine - 200 to 390.

I dont fell good on that much cost cutting. Still, it does not change the fact that it looks cool!

Looking at this

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/kawasaki-ninja-300r/ktm-duke-390-vs-kawasaki-ninja-300-shootout/

The Ninja 300 seems the better bike

Although I would like the suspension & brakes & weight of the KTM with the Ninja engine smile.png

did not expect that

The 2 downers for the Ninja were the high price and the lack of ABS. Here in Thailand it has ABS and is much cheaper then the KTM. The Ninja 300 is a great deal here it seems...

• Like 2

Looking at this

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/kawasaki-ninja-300r/ktm-duke-390-vs-kawasaki-ninja-300-shootout/

Although I would like the suspension & brakes & weight of the KTM with the Ninja engine smile.png

The reviewer really seemed to like the Ninja 300 right from the start. I do too. I was at our local dealership with a friend and both of us came close to buying two at the same time - for a bit of a discount. However, I'm still undecided. One issue is weight. The Ninja 300 is a relative "pig" in terms of weight. Almost 60lbs heavier than the 390. I know Kawasaki could have done better here. Yet - I suspect the Ninja 300 to be much smoother than the 390 Duke - something many would feel is important. Still - after the reviewer suggested that both bikes achieve essentially the same fuel economy - I stopped reading at that point. From everything I've read on both bikes - the 390 Duke has been turning in significantly better fuel economy figures in virtually all riding conditions. Perhaps it was just lazy writing on the part of the reviewer. But it's hard not to assume that some bias (latent?) was in play here. In a area where the Duke 390 should have won hands down - it was essentially judged a tie. I think they could have spent more time providing evidence to back up their claim. I think a better comparison would involve the RC390 and the Ninja 300 anyway - and am looking forward to reading some other comparison reviews of these bikes.

To my eyes the KTM looks nicer than the Ninja; obviously higher end components and a bit more HP (what is that ~40 HP rear wheel versus the 34'ish on the Kawasaki?). Lacking a slipper clutch, Kawasaki's tried and proven reliability and a dealership network. Will probably end up costing stupid money, as previously mentioned, but as always good to see choices out there.

Looking at this

did not expect that

The 2 downers for the Ninja were the high price and the lack of ABS. Here in Thailand it has ABS and is much cheaper then the KTM. The Ninja 300 is a great deal here it seems...

Its funny sometimes how the same bikes are perceived in different markets. i bet in India the ninja enjoys higher status compared to the ktm while in thailand its the opposite. Its just a shame that it could not be the other way around, I would love to have a ktm at a reasonable price (in india you can even call it cheap).

Ninja fans in Thailand are obviously happier with the current situation.....

Edited by pokerkid