Can I obtain a work permit if I am in LOS on a tourist visa?

I would like to move to Thailand and obtain a work permit.

My current plan is, when I am next in Thailand, in a few months, to ask a member of my Thai wife's family who has a copany to apply for a work permit for me. It is a bona fide company that has been running for several decades, employs more than 4 Thais other than the directors and has never yet asked for a work permit.

Assuming the family agree, can I be in Thailand when they apply, do I need to have a particular type of visa or can it be a tourist visa?

Does anyone know how long it would take or the salary the company would need to say they pay me and whether there are checks on this other than my tax declaration?

Once I have the work permit, am I allowed to engage in other activities than the company's?

Does anyone have any alternatives they think better to achieve my aim? I do not think I would enjoy teaching; I am old enough to qualify for a retirement visa and could pass the financial requirements; I have a Thai wife of long standing but we have hitherto always lived in Europe and the USA.

Thank you for any advice and information.

Since you are married to a Thai you should get a non immigrant O visa instead of a tourist visa.

A work permit can be applied for with a tourist visa but it will not be issued until you have a non immigrant visa.

Since you are married to a Thai you can get an extension of stay based upon marriage if you have 40K baht income or 400K baht in the bank for 60 days. It would be easier to get this extension rather than one for working because it requires less paper work and there is no minimum salary requirement other than the 40K baht to get the extension.

Once you get the work permit and have a 40K baht income you can use tax payments along with your work permit to get the extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

"Once I have the work permit, am I allowed to engage in other activities than the company's?"

Work permits are company and location specific and do not allow one to do any other work in any other location at there own free will, with permission from the primary company listed in the work permit other companies can be added.

• Like 1

It is possible to have a work permit that allows you to work at various locations for the same company. It must be requested when applying for the work permit. An example would be if company was doing contract work for other companies for service and etc. But work would have to fall within the job description when application was made.

thank you all for your help. The initial steps now seem clear - get non-immigrant O visa followed by an extension of stay based on marriage. Further reflection will be needed for the work permit.

Do you think I would qualify for a WP if the company takes me on with a broad remit to consider the company's strategic options including diversifying its activities and improving its competitiveness. It is in an industry that has been hard hit by modern technology and has not adapted sufficiently, so it is plausible and it would allow me to be in various locations and investigate different options.

You can get a single entry non-o visa at most embassies and consulates with your marriage certificate and copies of your wife's passport or ID and house book.

What you could do would depend upon what business the company is doing because there are some activities that are restricted to Thais only.

A management position would allow a good deal of flexibility as to what you can do.

One of the requirements for the work permit is the companies registered capital would normally be 2 million baht but for marriage to a Thai that is reduced to 1 million.

thank you all for your help. The initial steps now seem clear - get non-immigrant O visa followed by an extension of stay based on marriage. Further reflection will be needed for the work permit.

Do you think I would qualify for a WP if the company takes me on with a broad remit to consider the company's strategic options including diversifying its activities and improving its competitiveness. It is in an industry that has been hard hit by modern technology and has not adapted sufficiently, so it is plausible and it would allow me to be in various locations and investigate different options.

Does said company have various locations that can be listed on the work permit ?

Spoonman

the company has a number of locations but as far as I know they are all in the Bangkok/Thonburi area.

Should be no problem then as long as you can show qualifications for the position that is to be listed on the work permit.

• Like 1

I have heard that the best position/Title for this Company for you may be as a "Consultant" to them, This then may allow you to move around in other places as their Rep, But I would think it would need to be in a similar industry?

Sounds like you don't actually plan on working. If not, then why get a work visa?? Why not a retirement visa?

I agree if you did not plan to work. -retirement visa- is good for you.

If you apply to get a WP you have to pay tax return base on your annual income and you have to pay Lawyer to do your Annual Report to Labor Ministry to renew your WP every year. But for retirement visa it more easy to get one year extension if you are qualify.

• Like 1

Since you are married to a Thai you should get a non immigrant O visa instead of a tourist visa. A work permit can be applied for with a tourist visa but it will not be issued until you have a non immigrant visa. Since you are married to a Thai you can get an extension of stay based upon marriage if you have 40K baht income or 400K baht in the bank for 60 days. It would be easier to get this extension rather than one for working because it requires less paper work and there is no minimum salary requirement other than the 40K baht to get the extension. Once you get the work permit and have a 40K baht income you can use tax payments along with your work permit to get the extension.

i think this 40 k is just a joke, when i worked at bkk pattaya hospital, the rule was 50k, but i got 20000 in cash..

just saying, pfft

"Once I have the work permit, am I allowed to engage in other activities than the company's?"

Work permits are company and location specific and do not allow one to do any other work in any other location at there own free will, with permission from the primary company listed in the work permit other companies can be added.

correct, if i am wrong...this depends of lawyer of the company, what he/she think and gets some more paperwork , and again it costs some more money ?

Since you are married to a Thai you should get a non immigrant O visa instead of a tourist visa. A work permit can be applied for with a tourist visa but it will not be issued until you have a non immigrant visa. Since you are married to a Thai you can get an extension of stay based upon marriage if you have 40K baht income or 400K baht in the bank for 60 days. It would be easier to get this extension rather than one for working because it requires less paper work and there is no minimum salary requirement other than the 40K baht to get the extension. Once you get the work permit and have a 40K baht income you can use tax payments along with your work permit to get the extension.

i think this 40 k is just a joke, when i worked at bkk pattaya hospital, the rule was 50k, but i got 20000 in cash..

just saying, pfft

Did you read the entirety of my post.

I clearly state that 40K is the requirement for getting an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

The 50k number you mentioned is for an extension of stay based upon employment under clause 2.1 of the police order.

thank you for your contributions. I would definitely like to do something productive, expending effort and from reading what you and others have written on other threads I would need a work permit. I shall talk it over with the family and the company lawyer when I am over between Christmas and Chinese new year and then, integrating your advice, will decide how to proceed. If I find anything interesting or innovative and you are interested I am happy to write with the outcome.

TB

If you were to structure your interest in evaluating the future prospects of your family company as a potential investor rather than as an employee your compliance with regulations, at least initially, would be much simpler.

The income for a foreigner/falang has to be more than 50.000 Baht per month (in my own company there was an expected Income of my own of 65.000 Baht p.M. by the tax office , Do you think the family will go with this? Seems you are desperate and with no savings. To work in Thailand going with the law is not easy and cost you a lot of money and mostly all illusions. To make it "save", you need a non IM Visa, and a good lawyer, working for you and not connected to the family of your wife in any way, to bring all paperworks in order. My experience with this country after nine years, we moved further to Northern-Spain, and are more happy than ever before.

The income for a foreigner/falang has to be more than 50.000 Baht per month (in my own company there was an expected Income of my own of 65.000 Baht p.M. by the tax office , Do you think the family will go with this? Seems you are desperate and with no savings. To work in Thailand going with the law is not easy and cost you a lot of money and mostly all illusions. To make it "save", you need a  non IM Visa, and a good lawyer, working for you and not connected to the family of your wife in any way, to bring all paperworks in order.  My experience with this country after nine years, we moved further to Northern-Spain, and are more happy than ever before.

Another failure to read the entire topic.

OP will be getting an extension of say based upon marriage which only requires 40K baht income or or 400K baht in the the bank. Which will allow him to get a work permit.

The 50K baht salary requirement is only for extensions of stay based upon working for a company.