TAT to lure more foreign tourists

Lite Beer

someone should go and ask them some hard questions about their new visa rules - especially were they expect someone to keep almost 20k sterling in a no interest current account for 3 months - there is absolutely no need for it, any account were access is available to the funds should be enough

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

someone should go and ask them some hard questions about their new visa rules - especially were they expect someone to keep almost 20k sterling in a no interest current account for 3 months - there is absolutely no need for it, any account were access is available to the funds should be enough

Tell me more

Or are you taking about the Retirement Visa.

"Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will take 69 related-tourism "

"Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will take 69 tourism-related operators," To London.

What is your point?

TAT are a scream, A few months ago they ignored westerners, because they had NEW FRIENDS from China breaking records coming here, now the Chinese tourists are not coming because of a situation, TAT are wanting westerners back after turning their backs on them.

This country does enough damage with it's get out and in immigration policy, the tax in and out of the airport, and all the filth at resorts, massive scams etc.

Now it's holiday time for 69 related holiday operators, IT doesn't say how many TAT employees are travelling.

I am sure it is high time for a change in TAT thinking and a vast clear out of deadwood staff. For those who do not know look up the annual budget given to TAT. REEKS of BS and bad planning, it's left arm does not know what the right is doing.

I honestly think that once the Chinese so called tourists (those that actually can take a holiday) have come and had the card stamped "been there done that" they will not return for a second trip and those that do come here will be telling their friends about the wonderful time they spent in Thailand ........... not, dirty dangerous rip off joint - don't waste your time, we spent half our holiday sitting in a bus in traffic and the other half shopping were we found Chinese made product at 10x the price we can buy at home - give it a miss

the secret of tourism or any business for that matter is the returning customer, I honestly cannot think of one thing that I could promote about Thailand to tourists - everything is a scam and tourist attractions (so called) are half baked substandard developments were construction was obviously done on the cheap and maintainance and safety is seriously lacking - the infrastructure is poor - transport is poor - facilities are poor - resorts are dirty - beaches are dirty and the whole place is generally dangerous with very low standards and high corruption, not to mention the gun - gang and serious drug problems in places like Pattaya

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

Tell me more

Or are you taking about the Retirement Visa.

application for multiple O in the UK either married or single requires funds to be shown in a Current account for 3 months, absolutely rediculous

Why not just pass a law forcing tourists to come ?

Too easy.....they will need a committee to study it. Then the committee will appoint a sub-committee...then a poll. Then a budget of millions of baht for every committees. A very long process....TAT could do it faster, all they need to do is just announce whatever they could think off.whistling.gif

Indeed you are correct re the Chinese. The word has spread about the shopping scams and all the other negatives ....leading to the change in Chinese tour regulations specifically for Thailand . Seems like TAT thinks this was a gold mine to be tapped in perpetuity. Clearly they have ZERO understanding of the Chinese consumer. Everyone is out there chasing the Chinese market and Thailand is the first country to really FIU.

ote name="smedly" post="6970004" timestamp="1382875264"]

"Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will take 69 related-tourism "

"Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will take 69 tourism-related operators," To London.

What is your point?

TAT are a scream, A few months ago they ignored westerners, because they had NEW FRIENDS from China breaking records coming here, now the Chinese tourists are not coming because of a situation, TAT are wanting westerners back after turning their backs on them.

This country does enough damage with it's get out and in immigration policy, the tax in and out of the airport, and all the filth at resorts, massive scams etc.

Now it's holiday time for 69 related holiday operators, IT doesn't say how many TAT employees are travelling.

I am sure it is high time for a change in TAT thinking and a vast clear out of deadwood staff. For those who do not know look up the annual budget given to TAT. REEKS of BS and bad planning, it's left arm does not know what the right is doing.

I honestly think that once the Chinese so called tourists (those that actually can take a holiday) have come and had the card stamped "been there done that" they will not return for a second trip and those that do come here will be telling their friends about the wonderful time they spent in Thailand ........... not, dirty dangerous rip off joint - don't waste your time, we spent half our holiday sitting in a bus in traffic and the other half shopping were we found Chinese made product at 10x the price we can buy at home - give it a miss

the secret of tourism or any business for that matter is the returning customer, I honestly cannot think of one thing that I could promote about Thailand to tourists - everything is a scam and tourist attractions (so called) are half baked substandard developments were construction was obviously done on the cheap and maintainance and safety is seriously lacking - the infrastructure is poor - transport is poor - facilities are poor - resorts are dirty - beaches are dirty and the whole place is generally dangerous with very low standards and high corruption, not to mention the gun - gang and serious drug problems in places like Pattaya

The growth has been from Russia and China ( aided by very short term repeat visitors from SEA using discount airlines) . High value tourists , repeat visitors are fewer. Occupancy rates are up, room rates are not.

Always makes me laugh when people on here slag TAT off

Visitor numbers to the country are rising on a yearly basis so they must be doing something right

Will they be plugging their proposed new " Entry Fee " to the players at the World Travel Market ?

And the ten-fold entry fees to national parks and other attractions for foreign visitors?

And the one-in-ten chance that your train will derail or your tour bus plunge into a ravine?

And the enchanting experience that you might be ripped off under threat of live and limb by a jet ski operator?

And the fact that right behind the next dune from your beach a huge sewage pipe discharges right into the "crystal-clear" sea?

And the possibility that your taxi driver will over-charge you?

And, and, and...?

Chiang Rai has fewer tourists than any prior year, for the past 15, at this time. The few backpackers (who TAT don't care about, anyway) use Chiang Rai as a stepping off point for Laos, which they enjoy more than Thailand.

TAT has always thought it should showcase mainly golf and high-end resorts, not realizing that the youngsters of today will be the adults (with added spending cash) of tomorrow. Make Thailand more backpacker-friendly. Here's a partial list of what I'd to if I was in charge of TAT:

>>> scrap the dumb-assed self-debilitating entry/exit fees

>>> no double pricing anywhere

>>> more adventure sports and more parks

>>> clean up beaches.

>>> quit offering tons of free publicity to expensive venues (resorts, etc), and instead offer some promo to smaller venues. Newspapers do the same, with their full page free features for high-end places, while ignoring the little guys.

>>> ban jet skis, and enforce strict penalties for all scammers and extortionists.

>>> improve the TAT website. Currently, it's not easy for venue managers to use.

....just a partial list...

Visitor numbers to the country are rising on a yearly basis so they must be doing something right

As TAT themselves admit they are gaining quantity but losing quality. That results in less money to go around and a bigger, dirtier ecological footprint.

This sounds they are going to Lure them in to a trap .....................................................

PB

Come into my web said the spider to the fly.

I hope that this trip shows diminishing returns and that the word is out. You can fool all of the people some of the time.

The growth has been from Russia and China ( aided by very short term repeat visitors from SEA using discount airlines) . High value tourists , repeat visitors are fewer. Occupancy rates are up, room rates are not.

Which is probably exactly why they are launching this campaign, like all good businesses new ideas are needed all the time in order for the business to grow

All they get from the Thai Visa posters who obviously all have degrees in improving tourism is scathing comments.

Edited by darrendsd

Which is probably exactly why they are launching this campaign, like all good businesses new ideas are needed all the time in order for the business to grow

All they get from the Thai Visa posters who obviously all have degrees in improving tourism is scathing comments.

The scathing comments from posters mainly are because they are not addressing the mega problems in Thailand, surely you have read most of them,??? if not look through the posts a bit before being a critic of members.

But alas you are in denial, if you are for improving tourism then why ignore the things that are not helping tourists when the arrive for their holiday, to have them come back the first thing you want is for them not to be conned. fleeced.

TAT seems to have free hand with a mega annual budget, with the power they could ease the immigration laws, and encourage friends of people who stay here, and stop the drift of foreigners to other countries. tidy up Thailand.

The scathing comments from posters mainly are because they are not addressing the mega problems in Thailand, surely you have read most of them,??? if not look through the posts a bit before being a critic of members.

But alas you are in denial, if you are for improving tourism then why ignore the things that are not helping tourists when the arrive for their holiday, to have them come back the first thing you want is for them not to be conned. fleeced.

TAT seems to have free hand with a mega annual budget, with the power they could ease the immigration laws, and encourage friends of people who stay here, and stop the drift of foreigners to other countries. tidy up Thailand.

Every time I speak to a tourist they are either repeat visitors or first time visitors who say they are loving their holiday and we will be back

As we live here we know and see what can be improved, tourists may not notice these problems

If tourists numbers are up year on year then Thailand obviously has something to offer tourists with or without it's problems

Always makes me laugh when people on here slag TAT off. Visitor numbers to the country are rising on a yearly basis so they must be doing something right

As TAT themselves admit they are gaining quantity but losing quality. That results in less money to go around and a bigger, dirtier ecological footprint.
TAT say they're gaining quantity? I would trust my eyes and what I observe, than numbers pulled out of the air by TAT or any other gov't entity. If you believe TAT's numbers, then you may also believe gov't numbers for economic projections and its non-organic starch rice numbers.

If there are 'scathing comments' herein, there are reasons. TAT, like all other Thai gov't entities are expert at spending lots of money for little gains. The junket to Europe is prime example. Entry numbers (in to Thailand) don't discern between actual tourists and others, like resident farang, who do border runs and/or (like me) pop over the border and back twice a month (to get a break from hyper-commercial, vanity infused Thailand). I'll give credit where credit is due. I don't see TAT doing a good job, period.

• Like 1

If you believe TAT, they are!

What is that called? A self- fulfilling prophecy?

Rather than TAT doing something right I suggest that the visitors are doing something wrong which can be put down to their gullibility. I wonder how many carry out a little research before selecting a holiday venue.

Accommodating high end tourists is a two edged sword. Few will listen to the opinions and complaints of the dreggy hordes but those with influence and position on the social scale will be heard and spread their brand of poison wide.

All TAT gets is crappy ideas from people with Thai degrees in tourism. We all know what value should be placed on a Thai degree. Book learning is no guarantee of innate intelligence.

• Like 2

Rather than TAT doing something right I suggest that the visitors are doing something wrong which can be put down to their gullibility. I wonder how many carry out a little research before selecting a holiday venue.

Accommodating high end tourists is a two edged sword. Few will listen to the opinions and complaints of the dreggy hordes but those with influence and position on the social scale will be heard and spread their brand of poison wide.

Around 25 million visitors a year are doing something wrong? Wow

We were all first time visitors here once so I guess we all did something wrong by coming here

Strange that we then decided to live here full time, I guess we must all still be doing something wrong

If you believe TAT, they are!

What is that called? A self- fulfilling prophecy?

Wether the figures are correct or not is open to debate.

If you know they are wrong can you please post a link to your source?

Thanks

All TAT gets is crappy ideas from people with Thai degrees in tourism. We all know what value should be placed on a Thai degree. Book learning is no guarantee of innate intelligence.

And if a Thai gets a degree, does that mean they actually earned it? ....or did they get it just for turning up in class most of the time.

Plus, if TAT functions like other govt' or police or army organization, promotions are paid for. That along with your social status (is your daddy chummy with the boss? etc.) is how folks get promoted in Thailand. Intelligence and skills have little to do with it.

Around 25 million visitors a year are doing something wrong? Wow

We were all first time visitors here once so I guess we all did something wrong by coming here

Strange that we then decided to live here full time, I guess we must all still be doing something wrong

Your 25 million visitors, (people entering the kingdom) NOW break that down to actual Thailand holiday persons.

When I came here 32 years ago there was a yearn to return, scams were few, it was cleaner, fresh and cheerful,please do not compare it with then.

It was not strange or a bad decision to move here, elated was the word. When the disadvantages outweigh the advantages I will be saying bye bye, I am winding down at the minute, that means have sold my home, I am now selling my condo, I rent now so I can walk away WHEN I WISH, I then only have to sell the car and motor cycle.

Don't get me wrong I intend still to stay.

The biggest problem with most ex pats here is they have married-have families-house in wife name- business- DIFFICULT to run off,

Times here have changed drastically especially over this last 2 years, corruption at mega levels and greed. Thai people are to my mind not the smiling people we once met in general.

I am totally shocked that the road closures are not listed here as news? I am trying to get to Phuket from BKK by auto? Not happening. IF I were a tourist I would not be a happy camper. This is a mess. I am stuck in a guest house and am heading back to BKK this morning.

I see no report of this mess? What is up.

I am totally shocked that the road closures are not listed here as news? I am trying to get to Phuket from BKK by auto? Not happening. IF I were a tourist I would not be a happy camper. This is a mess. I am stuck in a guest house and am heading back to BKK this morning.

I see no report of this mess? What is up.

Maybe this is the problem:

Southern rubber growers block road