The end of bensin

yourauntbob

So bensin gas has been disappearing all over Bangkok recently and finally the last station that I could find bensin has stopped selling it. My car is a 1991 honda accord, its only a few years away from being a classic tongue.png but it still runs fine. Over the last few years I have changed or fixed almost everything but the engine. I will save my rant on the government taking away the gas I need for another day but I do have two questions.

1) what would happen (if anything) if I started using gasohol?

2) are the selling bensin outside of bkk? (is my car sell-able?)

Are you sure your car can't use E10 Gasohol?

Anyway, the worst that can happen is destruction of fuel system seals, pipes and the injectors (if it's fuel injected), ethanol tolerant replacements are probably available, time to ask you car parts man.

Moving to motoring.

Benzene (95 octane) is available at selected filling stations upcountry.

Not every PTT station, but at major highways and city centres (couple of stations in Khon Kaen).

Caltex also has Benzene 95.

First time I hear the news that it will be abandoned.

Any sources for that?

It had been introduced after benzene 91 had been outphased in 2012.

That is the yellow label for benzene (95) at PTT:

benzin.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

It is still available. Anywhere showing a price of 45 to 46 baht/litre has it. It is simply a case of looking for and remembering where it is sold. Shell don't seem to as they want to push they V-Power stuff.

For less that 20,000 you can have your car converted to LPG then there are stations everywhere. A question of mileage vs cost.

Edited by VocalNeal

Responding to some above. I can read enough Thai to see where it is sold. Over the last year and a half it has disappeared from all of the filling stations (15 or so) between my house and my school. I know this is a somewhat limited sample but I pass PTT, Exom, Shell, Pat.... (green aqua sign), and a few others on that route. In my area it is becoming very hard to find.

Anyway, the worst that can happen is destruction of fuel system seals, pipes and the injectors (if it's fuel injected), ethanol tolerant replacements are probably available, time to ask you car parts man.

Moving to motoring.

Is gasohol E10?

Sorry for my ignorance, I simply dont know that much about gas....or cars............or woman for that matter tongue.png

Gasohol = gas (benzene) + alcohol.

Here in Thailand it usually refers to E10 (91 or 95 octane, at PTT green or orange).

Strictly speaking E20 (widely available) and E85 (very rare) are also "gasohol".

To my surprise PTT displays only 8 (!) benzene filling stations within the city of Bangkok.

http://www.weloveptt.com/LIFESTATIONMAP/#

Can hardly believe it, but maybe ....

Caltex displays about 10 stations in the city offering "Caltex Gold". Website is quite useless/hard to use...

16338135kl.jpg

Shell shows only 4 (!) stations offering "Shell FuelSave Unleaded 95" in Bangkok.

http://www.shell.co.th/en/products-services/on-the-road/shell-station-locator.html

Edited by KhunBENQ

Moving to motoring.

Is gasohol E10?

Sorry for my ignorance, I simply dont know that much about gas....or cars............or woman for that matter tongue.png

Yes Gasohol E10 is 90% petrol and 10% Ethanol.

I say take it a Honda dealer and they will probably be able to fit a gasohol compatibility component kit.

If it's a 91 model with similar mechanicals to a U.S.A. model it will probably run on gasahol without any problems. But do remember all those original rubber hoses under the bonnet are well past their useby date!

• Like 2

never mind, answered my own question.................. for once biggrin.png

Hi,

I also have an old Honda (1990 Civic) and have been running it on 91 Gasohol for about a year.

You will need to add a Benzine Booster which you can buy at Tesco Lotus for 199 Baht.

Initially use a whole bottle for a full tank of 91 Gasohol and half a bottle thereafter.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Someone once told me (when i was frustratingly trying to fill up a rental car) that there is some restriction on where fuel can be sold within Bangkok (ie: not too close to the centre or a school(?) etc) due to the fear of an explosion.

Not sure how/if it relates to 91 or 95 versus Gasohol b/c Gasohol would be just as flammable.

Unlike diesel which will not burn - only the wax within diesel will burn. Diesel is extremely safe by comparison to petrol.

Ethanol mixed in gasoline has been used for “ages” in Scandinavia in the wintertime to keep the caburator free of ice. There have just been a thread about it at the Samui forum; I did a post there, which may help up:

“I checked on it, when the first ethanol-gasoline came to Samui. Up to 10 per cent ethanol in gasoline does not harm the motor (in USA they are allowed to mix up to 10 per cent in the gasoline without advertising it). Your car or scooter will run on gasoline with a higher ethanol mix, but the gaskets may wear out quickly, if not made for ethanol. E20 is gasoline with 20 per cent ethanol. The newer so-called eco-cars are manufactured with gaskets for E20.”

Moving to motoring.

or woman for that matter tongue.png

Get in line, I can help with most things mechanical and technical but women??? You're on your own..

Still available on the highway outside Pattaya. Bought some at Caltex and Jiffy in the last week. Both located near Tesco Lotus.

Easy to distinguish it at the pumps as it has YELLOW signs and is the most expensive at ~46/litre. Thais call it 'ben zine'. It always seems to be 95 octane now, not seen 91 benzine for some years.

Edited by Keesters