Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder if they take account all of the balks and no goes, when calculating their returns from this price tiering system. me i've done the about face no go too, on recollection the zanziba ferry and foz do igasu come to mind, plus i never been into ANY tourist location in thailand where this pricing is displayed. actual i havent seen them because i'm not interested in going to these places in thailand. rubber necking as a tourist activity lost its appeal before i even left my teens.

edit: vague recall seeing this on ruins near the lopburi train station, could be wrong, no didnt go in.

edit: i am more into "desecrating the cultural heritage in my room" ref: from loas room signs.

Edited by b0nkr

My chauffer climbed out of the Rolls to pay our entry fee. When those dastardly people asked him for 50% extra for the farang, he refused, climbed back in and drove us back home. At least it was a comfortable journey with no stress.

You don't CLIMB in and out of a Rolls. You must have been confused with your old Tata truck . biggrin.png

I'll have you know my chauffer is a midget so he had to climb out of the Roller, go to the boot, get the orange box out, carry the box to the entrance window, climb onto it to speak to the cashier, clamber down off the orange box, lug it back to the car, put it in the boot and clamber back into the Rolls. He was not best pleased, I could tell.

BTW I am an equal opportunities employer and I employ midgets and giants, I do not discriminate :P

• Like 1

My chauffer climbed out of the Rolls to pay our entry fee. When those dastardly people asked him for 50% extra for the farang, he refused, climbed back in and drove us back home. At least it was a comfortable journey with no stress.

You don't CLIMB in and out of a Rolls. You must have been confused with your old Tata truck . biggrin.png

I'll have you know my chauffer is a midget so he had to climb out of the Roller, go to the boot, get the orange box out, carry the box to the entrance window, climb onto it to speak to the cashier, clamber down off the orange box, lug it back to the car, put it in the boot and clamber back into the Rolls. He was not best pleased, I could tell.

BTW I am an equal opportunities employer and I employ midgets and giants, I do not discriminate tongue.png

i think you are delegating too much authority to your servants. mine need my approval before deciding my direction. oh i see it now this is a regular occurrence and he has prior knowledge.

BTW I am an equal opportunities employer and I employ midgets and giants, I do not discriminate tongue.png

Orange box or box of oranges?

Only once have i not got Thai price with my licence and that was on the yellow submarine in Pattaya and as that was a birthday treat for our son ,i paid up .

theres a yellow submarine in pattaya? wow i never knew, i wonder what other money spinners are lurking in and around pattaya

Good on you!

It is racism, unacceptable unadulterated racism!

Don't give them 1 baht you don't need to.

I was once told at a food market that since I was farang, I needed to tip them 20 baht.

I give her the 20 baht and told he that neither I or ny other faarangs would ever buy anything from her again, and we haven't.

I am from the US where, unlike Thailand ,racism is unacceptable, whith the exception of the ignorant and rude few.

Here you walk down the street and hear calls of "farang! farang!".

What do you think would happen in the U.S. if people yelled "Gook, Gook!" every thme they saw an Asian.or "Nigger, Nigger!" when they say a person of African decent??

I am not a racist.

I would like to say that I do not discriminate toward anyone.

But I can not say that.

I hate all racist and bigots!

I' m just not good enough to forgive them yet!

I have used my Thai drivers license numerous times to pay a Thai price. Always works in national parks, museums, and some other attractions. I am usually polite about it, speak to them in Thai, tell them that I live here, and it almost always works...even went up to one of the longneck villages in Mae Hong Son, where they charge farangs 300 baht to enter, and when i asked how much it cost for those who live here, the girl looked at me and said, "it's free!!"

Once in Khao Sok they told me my license was not valid and I made a stink, asking to see the boss, and I soon got in at the Thai price. If they do double charge me, I will most likely not pay and just walk away. I don't have an issue with tourists having to pay a bit extra, as yes, the average tourist probably is earning a bit more than the average Thai, and the double pricing is not only to Thailand, try going to Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, or China, they all have different prices for tourists at parks and attractions. But when one resides in a country and speaks the language, it definitely should be a different story.

There is a noodle vendor up near Chatuchak, who, when you ask to pay for your kanom jeen, points to a sign that says in English, "noodles, 50 baht." I asked her if it wasn't 30 baht, and she pointed to the sign again. I asked her again and she did the same. Finally, I pointed to the Thai menu and asked her if she could read Thai. I gave her 30 baht and made sure to tell all my friends, both Thai and foreign, not to give her business ever again.

• Like 1

Good on you!

It is racism, unacceptable unadulterated racism!

Don't give them 1 baht you don't need to.

I was once told at a food market that since I was farang, I needed to tip them 20 baht.

I give her the 20 baht and told he that neither I or ny other faarangs would ever buy anything from her again, and we haven't.

I am from the US where, unlike Thailand ,racism is unacceptable, whith the exception of the ignorant and rude few.

Here you walk down the street and hear calls of "farang! farang!".

What do you think would happen in the U.S. if people yelled "Gook, Gook!" every thme they saw an Asian.or "Nigger, Nigger!" when they say a person of African decent??

I am not a racist.

I would like to say that I do not discriminate toward anyone.

But I can not say that.

I hate all racist and bigots!

I' m just not good enough to forgive them yet!

Something tells me in your rush to rant you may have missed the "subtle" message in the O/P's message, in which you may have been the target rather than a fellow archer. (Or else you are practicing an even more deep and subtle form of sarcasm)

off-target.png

"I hate all racist and bigots!

I' m just not good enough to forgive them yet!"

And yet here you are a fully paid up member here at the R&B hub.

A somewhat mangled application of what Groucho Marx once said comes to mind: "Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".

05marx2_533.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

It's racism, not corruption.

That's exactly my take on this issue. When I took a group of golfers to Subhapruek Golf Course, they charged the farangs in the group one price, whilst the locals were given a different price (THB 400 less).

I complained to the management when this was brought to my attention by one of our Thai members, but they insisted it was a "discount for Thai peepen"...! I said that I begged to differ since it was blatant discrimination/racism, and also let them know that I would never take another group there again, and I certainly wouldn't play there again myself.

I have been true to my word for six years...!!

So you" won the Battle but lost the War". It would have been worth a little bit of righestness

on your part to have a great day with your son , and never, ever return. TIT !!

I can't see anything changing in my lifetime....Happy I have a very good retirement and I

can smile and let these "raciest" things pass; of course I always think to myself...FU5555

I keep hearing racism? So if you are a falang with a thai id card they wouldnt give you the thai price? Seems they are not charging you more but offer a discount for thai citizens. This is done throughout the usa based on residence, age , etc.

Good for them to offer discounts :.)