Household toilet problems... I have been WRONG for years

kiwiinasia

So I have a ground floor apartment in a 10-15yr old complex in Bangkok.

Ever since I moved in both toilet bowls have had flushing issues. There was even a free plunger here when I moved in, a sure sign of problems to come.

I am a typical kiwi and am used to septic tank setups from childhood. I know what should not be flushed down the toilet, eg; face tissues, tea leaves, banana skins etc.

So when I have a dump I usually double up the tissue before I take a swipe.

And thus the problem, the toilet blocks up at least once a week, in fact when it doesn't block up it burps back air from the drain pipe. If I flush one toilet the other one burps as well.

So recently both the toilets went on strike, thus I had to call in the building management to get the handy man to clean it up.

He did in a fashion, he had to use my kitchen gloves, my hose and my bucket, so you know he was a professional NOT. Needless to say, he did clear both blockages and left feces all over both toilet floors the B@stard. He is not allowed back in this apartment.

But there is more...

This last week one toilet blocked up real bad, I poored every imaginable chemical down the drain, plunged it etc etc, and no movement. I got the landlord to get in a REAL professional.

This guy arrived with the electric snake (but no gloves or hammer) and did his best, it turns out he had to remove the toilet to clear it.

But I am TOLD, that after 40 plus years of doubling toilet paper before wiping that this is the source of ALL the problems and that I have to stop doing that.

We will see...

Do you double up before wiping? (and probably do double up after reading this!)

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated, thats what the bum gun is for ! DONT PUT TISSUE IN THE LOO the pipes are half or even less than the diameter in the west thats why they cant take it and block easily. Paper is purely for drying and then deposit in basket.

• Like 1

Bum gun and dry with paper which then goes in the bin !!

1. More hygienic to wash your bum then to smear it all over your bottom.

2. More environmental friendly (just imagine how many tree's get squeezed down the loo).

3. Feels just sooooo, sooooo good after spicy food ;-)

I must have been lucky over the 10 odd years I have lived in Thailand then.

Never had this issue before.

Oh well time to buy a smell proof toilet basket thingy and use the bum gun.

Moral of the story: "Don't rent an apartment that has a plunger next to the toilet!"

bah.gif

Yet another thread on the scatological habits of expats, wanting to compare technique.

Guys, there are beaches here.

EDIT: D@mn that spellchecker!

What is it with our forum members' intense interest in the subject?

• Like 2

bah.gif

Yet another thread on the scatological habits of expats, wanting to compare technique.

It is one of the few things we all have in commoon.

• Like 1

Most toilet flushing problems here are caused by bad or missing air vents.

Bigger problem its the size of the waste pipe exit, 4 inches in UK yet the rear exit hole in a Thai pan is about 2 inches..............stupidly into a 4 inch pipe!!

The bog manufacturers need to wise up quickly.

Thread could be renamed:

"The Tissue Issue"

My Thai landlord said:

"Only Farang have this problem.

Only Farang use paper.

Only Farang should have to fix!"

So I hired a Farang!

attachicon.gifCloggedToilet.png

Id like to see a Thai draw a map of the world with Farangland in?? maybe it starts at the Thai borders?

• Like 1

Use silicone to attach your arse to the seat. The proceed to eat twenty tacos while waiting for the silicone to dry. Let the pressure build up and release.

Either the crapper will burst into a thousand pieces or the amounting pressure will force the tubes clean. Of course it'll be neighbors shrines that'll turn into fountains, but screw 'em, for all the years of midnight karaoke they deserve it.

• Like 2

bah.gif

Not all of them are, just the anal ones who can't let something go.

I was potty trained over a half-century ago. My mom did a good job, and I've never looked back.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

bah.gif

Not all of them are, just the anal ones who can't let something go.

I was potty trained over a half-century ago. My mom did a good job, and I've never looked back.

Your'e still using it????