Are Thai people racist? They keeping calling me "Farang"!

Stradavarius37

Its such a ridiculous argument. I think there a lot of people in this forum who don't really understand the meaning of "racism", they should look it up rather than the meaning of the word "Farang", its about as racist as Black, White or Yellow. Words are not racist, there are no racist or non-racist words and there never will be. Thai people use the word Farang in many different situations, mostly innocently but the it does annoy me when I hear "Oi Falang" or "You Falang, you pay more". i think the point here is that you don't address people by the color of their skin or their ethnic origins. Back home we say "excuse me sir", not "Oi yellow man"

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its such a ridiculous argument. I think there a lot of people in this forum who don't really understand the meaning of "racism", they should look it up rather than the meaning of the word "Farang", its about as racist as Black, White or Yellow. Words are not racist, there are no racist or non-racist words and there never will be. Thai people use the word Farang in many different situations, mostly innocently but the it does annoy me when I hear "Oi Falang" or "You Falang, you pay more". i think the point here is that you don't address people by the color of their skin or their ethnic origins. Back home we say "excuse me sir", not "Oi yellow man"

Thailand is not back home. There in lies the problem. If you judge Thais by "your home" you will always get the wrong answer. You are probably right in "your home" but not in Thailand.

BO of a cheese eater. Are you serious?. I better cut my consumption of the plastic stuff at the 7.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The great majority of Thais don't eat dairy products and those that do it is a recent habit/change. The stuff at 7 is probably more plastic than cheese so no worries. It's the stinky cheese that chases them away. That is one reason that Thai pizza is not the same as the West,

Thailand is not back home. There in lies the problem. If you judge Thais by "your home" you will always get the wrong answer. You are probably right in "your home" but not in Thailand.

Of course, the west has gone racism and sexism crazy over the last decade, so much so that we are conditioned to be over polite in case we offend someone. We can not even say Merry Christmas any more in the media in case we offend a member of another religion. Make a comment in an office like "women can't park" and you have a lawsuit.

Obviously its a completely different culture here, everyone has different mannerisms etc. I love it here, the country and the people. I was merely pointing out that it is clearly racist.

It happened to me a number of times and I asked twice. Once was at a to go restaurant that handed out numbers for your order. Instead of my number they called our Farang. I asked why and the lady manager told me one waitress wanted a Farang boyfriend and she waits on all the Farang. The other time the manager told me the one waitress who speaks the best English takes the food to the Farang tables in case they want something else.

I would say in general you and your lot go looking for trouble instead of expecting the best. When you expect the worst that is usually what you get. Hope this helps.smile.png

No, not at all.

You are trying to tell me they said farang, instead of my table number, because one of the workers, who were all over 60, wanted a date with me? Or because they wanted to speak English with me? None did.

That the waitress at your restaurant said farang, to let you know she wanted a date with you? What, she couldn't have called your number, and with a big smile, given you hers?

Uh, no. You confronted the manager, face was being lost, and she made that up to save it, you silly.

Looking for trouble … geez. Thanks for the philosophy lesson.

The face thing is in your head and about 50 years out of date. If you spoke Thai and asked politely you would now know. Maybe you are one of those people who eat cheese and you know how Thais can't stand the BO of a cheese eater; perhaps the lady could not smell and waited on all Farang. Who knows. As it is you assume and you know what that means.smile.png

Yes, the Thai concept of face came to an end half a century ago. Never see it anymore.

And you obviously are familiar with my fluency in Thai, and know that I eat cheese, so … well … where do people like you come from?

As for dairy products, almost every school hands out milk to the kids.

Thanks for all the splendid insight into Thai culture, the dairy industry, and myself, Your Thainess.

It happened to me a number of times and I asked twice. Once was at a to go restaurant that handed out numbers for your order. Instead of my number they called our Farang. I asked why and the lady manager told me one waitress wanted a Farang boyfriend and she waits on all the Farang. The other time the manager told me the one waitress who speaks the best English takes the food to the Farang tables in case they want something else.

I would say in general you and your lot go looking for trouble instead of expecting the best. When you expect the worst that is usually what you get. Hope this helps.smile.png

No, not at all.

You are trying to tell me they said farang, instead of my table number, because one of the workers, who were all over 60, wanted a date with me? Or because they wanted to speak English with me? None did.

That the waitress at your restaurant said farang, to let you know she wanted a date with you? What, she couldn't have called your number, and with a big smile, given you hers?

Uh, no. You confronted the manager, face was being lost, and she made that up to save it, you silly.

The face thing is in your head and about 50 years out of date. If you spoke Thai and asked politely you would now know. Maybe you are one of those people who eat cheese and you know how Thais can't stand the BO of a cheese eater; perhaps the lady could not smell and waited on all Farang. Who knows. As it is you assume and you know what that means.smile.png

Yes, the Thai concept of face came to an end half a century ago. Never see it anymore.

And you obviously are familiar with my fluency in Thai, and know that I eat cheese, so … well … where do people like you come from?

Thanks for all the splendid insight into Thai culture, the dairy industry, and myself, Your Thainess.

I don't want to go too far off topic. You asked why the restaurant called you by Farang rather than table number. I told you two reasons why that I experienced. Not imagined but experienced. Since you didn't ask your waitress you don't know why. Simple really. I know you don't. As far as the cheese thing,

http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/1023151/1/

Lactose intolerance by group.

Dutch N/A 1% N/A

Swedes N/A 2% 0.14

Europeans in Australia 160 4% 0.20

Northern Europeans and Scandinavians N/A 5% N/A

Danes N/A 5% N/A

Basques 85 10%><100% N/A

British N/A 05–015% 0.184-0.302

Asian Americans N/A 90% N/A

Northeastern Han Chinese 248 92.3%

Chinese 71 95% 0.964

Southeast Asians N/A 98% N/A

Thais 134 98% 0.99

Native Americans 24 100% 1.00

I didn't say Thai schools were very bright. Maybe you give them too much credit.

I would be more than happy to explain the face thing but feel it might take us too far afield.

Maybe another time.

Edited by thailiketoo

No, not at all.

Yep, every school hands out milk, usually a pointless exercise as most of the kids in Asia will be lactose intolerant, it won't do them any harm, but it will not do them any good either, it just passes through their system, like an express train that doesn't stop at any station.

If you do not have a certain gene (that originated with the Vikings as far as I am aware) once you get off breast milk, any form of dairy product does nothing for you after that point.

I am going to play devils advocate with your assertion of why they called farang instead of table 6, could be that there was one waitress that was happy to serve you for what ever reason, or it could be that most of them didn't want to.

However, the reasons for not wanting to go to your table ranges from total xenophobia to lack of confidence, and many shades in between.

But if you didn't ask, you will never know.

I am going to play devils advocate with your assertion of why they called farang instead of table 6, could be that there was one waitress that was happy to serve you for what ever reason, or it could be that most of them didn't want to.

Why should it matter what skin color you have?

Only time I can understand people getting butthurt by the word farang is when people are "friends" with Thais who still refer to them as the farang after knowing them for some time. That is usually where you are around people who have little respect for you as a person, a good example would be someone who lives in a trash Isaan village where after years you are still the farang to everyone. You are unlikely to change their mentalities as they lack respect or just straight up do not like you. In which case get some better friends and/or surroundings!

If a Thai refers to a stranger as a farang I really see no issue with it personally and would not take offense to it in the slightest.

• Like 1

Only time I can understand people getting butthurt by the word farang is when people are "friends" with Thais who still refer to them as the farang after knowing them for some time. That is usually where you are around people who have little respect for you as a person, a good example would be someone who lives in a trash Isaan village where after years you are still the farang to everyone. You are unlikely to change their mentalities as they lack respect or just straight up do not like you. In which case get some better friends and/or surroundings!

If a Thai refers to a stranger as a farang I really see no issue with it personally and would not take offense to it in the slightest.

exactly what the hell is a trash isaan village??

• Like 1

I don't know, a village that is considered to be low quality compared to various other villages in the region? A village that stands out to have a poor location and where the locals are nothing short of rude and ignorant? I think it is fair to say that such places exist, although labeling them trash is a little unfair of me.

Edited by kevozman1

I don't know, a village that is considered to be low quality compared to various other villages in the region? A village that stands out to have a poor location and where the locals are nothing short of rude and ignorant? I think it is fair to say that such places exist, although labeling them trash is a little unfair of me.

there are PEOPLE like that but it is a stretch to say there are villages like that. and if a whole village keeps referring to someone as the farang after years, it may say more about him than the villagers.

• Like 1

there are PEOPLE like that but it is a stretch to say there are villages like that. and if a whole village keeps referring to someone as the farang after years, it may say more about him than the villagers.

In some cases yes, if you take a more apologist point of view. Not everyone is lucky (or possibly smart) enough to move into a nice village where their partner is from, where the locals are welcoming or at least civil and willing to treat everyone on their own merits.

However, the reasons for not wanting to go to your table ranges from total xenophobia to lack of confidence, and many shades in between.

But if you didn't ask, you will never know.

I don't need to ask. I've been going there since 2007.

"Happy to serve me?" "Most didn't want to?" Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

They all smile and say hello, how are you , where have you been? Your usual today (seafood noodle soup)?

We get attacked for saying farang can be used disrespectfully, but you call them "xenophobic …. lacking in confidence …."

The reason, in this particular instance, is simple: that's their upbringing. It is now their mindset. They don't know any better.

Perhaps someday they will.

HeijoshinCool wrote, "The reason, in this particular instance, is simple: that's their upbringing. It is now their mindset. They don't know any better."

Nonsense, codswallop and balderdash. You don't know the waitress in question or anything about her upbringing.

How can a rational person could take such an intellectual leap of false intuition. Were you brought up to judge all other cultures as inferior to your own?

• Like 2

HeijoshinCool wrote, "The reason, in this particular instance, is simple: that's their upbringing. It is now their mindset. They don't know any better."

Nonsense, codswallop and balderdash. You don't know the waitress in question or anything about her upbringing.

How can a rational person could take such an intellectual leap of false intuition. Were you brought up to judge all other cultures as inferior to your own?

well put!

Farang comes from the Thai word for France which is Prathet Falangse because the French were the first falangs Thais encountered because Laos and Cambodia were French colonies. The Thais use is for caucasian people. That's all there is to it. If you were Thai and someone would call you an Asian would you get upset about it?

The etymology of the term is not certain and arguable (it is actually more likely the introduced fruit (guava) and the term for French came from "farang" and not the other way around). The earliest "white" visitors are thought to have been Egyptian (not ancient Egypt of course - we are talking moors) - one was famously a member of the Lanna royal court (advisor to the King) 500 odd years ago - he was also notable light skinned ( in comparison I guess). It is therefore likely to be a bastardisation of the Moorish term for foreigner (Note: Ferengi in Farsi and Faranji in Ethiopian etc all mean foreigner).

The first real "westerner" visitors of any impact was likely Portuguese - who brought chilli, hemp and spicy food to the country. With Thailand (Siam/Lanna/Tai) being on the Indo-Chinese Trade Route (i.e. avoiding the impassable Himalayas) meant foreigners of one sort of another have been wandering through the country for millennia. By the time Britain held India and Burma - and a strangle hold on China - it was a safe port of call for other imperial, and often warring, nations to trade with the East.

Sigh, feels like TV does same as Hollywood, only pop out remakes. Farang can be used for both good and bad, to say it hasn´t probably depends on your circles but alo your experience. In my experience most of the time Thais use it as an identifier. They don´t think that far as many here do, in many of the cases it´s quite innocent.

This however doesn´t mean that there aren't those who use it talk down about foreigners, for example where did the "farang khee nok" come from?

However some of the TV shouldn't scream bloody murder either as many here like to refer to their partners as the "Thai wife" or "my Thai girlfriend" instead of just saying what they are... Wife or girlfriend. Many here need to identify them as Thai despite they live in Thailand which I find rather amusing.

My wife could be Western, African, Asian and it wouldn´t matter coz I would still refer her to as my wife.

I would suggest most people say "Thai wife" as it is relevant to the context of the post. A conversation about colloquial/slang Thai for example, it makes sense to say "I asked my Thai wife, as she thinks it means..." - stating she is Thai is the evidential authentication of the post. Otherwise it is irrelevant. Imagine for example such a statement as "Most Russians hate Putin" - it could be countered by, "my Russian wife thinks this is unlikely and she personally thinks he is wonderful" gives more authority than, "my Mrs disagrees." (so what?).

• Like 1

Sigh, feels like TV does same as Hollywood, only pop out remakes. Farang can be used for both good and bad, to say it hasn´t probably depends on your circles but alo your experience. In my experience most of the time Thais use it as an identifier. They don´t think that far as many here do, in many of the cases it´s quite innocent.

This however doesn´t mean that there aren't those who use it talk down about foreigners, for example where did the "farang khee nok" come from?

However some of the TV shouldn't scream bloody murder either as many here like to refer to their partners as the "Thai wife" or "my Thai girlfriend" instead of just saying what they are... Wife or girlfriend. Many here need to identify them as Thai despite they live in Thailand which I find rather amusing.

My wife could be Western, African, Asian and it wouldn´t matter coz I would still refer her to as my wife.

I would suggest most people say "Thai wife" as it is relevant to the context of the post. A conversation about colloquial/slang Thai for example, it makes sense to say "I asked my Thai wife, as she thinks it means..." - stating she is Thai is the evidential authentication of the post. Otherwise it is irrelevant. Imagine for example such a statement as "Most Russians hate Putin" - it could be countered by, "my Russian wife thinks this is unlikely and she personally thinks he is wonderful" gives more authority than, "my Mrs disagrees." (so what?).

Yeah it may be for some, but isn't it obvious that most people that live in Thailand have Thai partners? Besides there are more than a few guys here who firmly believe that Thais are not individuals and refer to their partners as Thai this and Thai that. I think this has sunk into political correctness... oh why bother...

Read the post again. I said I've been going to that restaurant since 2007. They are one family, I know them well. I regard them highly.

Nowhere, not a single time, have I said any other culture is inferior to mine.

Since when faced with logical arguments, you can only cast aspersions, or make accusations with no basis in fact, I'll let you have the last word, while I'll move on to more reasoning company.

Read the post again. I said I've been going to that restaurant since 2007. They are one family, I know them well. I regard them highly.

Since when faced with logical arguments, you can only cast aspersions, or make accusations with no basis in fact, I'll let you have the last word, while I'll move on to more reasoning company.

I read your post again. You wrote, "The reason, in this particular instance, is simple: that's their upbringing. It is now their mindset. They don't know any better."

I think, "they don't know any better" implies they not as good as you. Yup I read it again,

You wrote,"The reason, in this particular instance, is simple: that's their upbringing. It is now their mindset. They don't know any better."

The above is a negative statement implying you know better. Better is a positive word. Don't know any better is negative some might consider it an insult. I would.

Edited by thailiketoo

I read your post again. You wrote, "The reason, in this particular instance, is simple: that's their upbringing. It is now their mindset. They don't know any better."

I think, "they don't know any better" implies they not as good as you. Yup I read it again,

You wrote,"The reason, in this particular instance, is simple: that's their upbringing. It is now their mindset. They don't know any better."

The above is a negative statement implying you know better. Better is a positive word. Don't know any better is negative some might consider it an insult. I would.

as would I.

Wow, your Thai language skills must have blown them away!

laugh.png Just what i was thinking, along with what a rather amusing troll post pretty much using the "best of Thai Visa" as the basis.

Anyway, from my experience, the meaning a speaker is conveying with the word "farang" is all in the context and intonation.

Maybe merely a statement, a benign description, or a racist insult; all dependant on the context of the speech and/or the tone of the speaker.

I do try my best...wai2.gif

as would I.

Ah, well, I've made many a mistake in my life because I didn't know better, but life's for learning. And yes, I do know better than to single out people based on race, creed, orientation, skin color, language or origin.

I still make other mistakes, no doubt, and appreciate when friends, who know better, politely point them out.

It is not far fetched to believe that many Thais (if not most), are brought up thinking it is ok to call white people "farang".

How should they know, if even many of ourselves, not even mind the term, but actually even like the term?

• Like 1

Only time I can understand people getting butthurt by the word farang is when people are "friends" with Thais who still refer to them as the farang after knowing them for some time.

So if you agree with this.

Then you might also want to know that Thais indeed always sees you first and foremost as a "farang". As "a white skin". Even when they have known you for a long time, in their mind, you are still first and foremost "a white skin". And only secondly a person, identity.

Because of this, it is ignorant and harmful to enhance the notion of "farang", by referring to ourselves as farang.

It does NOT simply means, a white person, like we know a non-white person, who we, after a while of knowing him, more and more forget the skin color. For Thais "a white skin" is always first and foremost a "white skin".