Need help to choose a fun car

TramsRepus

For what it is worth, I have thought a bit about your situation, TransRepus, and I would point out the following:

- if you want a car with the practicality of a 4 door/hatch, then really the choice between a Scirocco and the V40 is the right one

- if you want to start driving in formula drift :-), then the GT86 is a nice car, but it will require mods out of the box to get it to let go easily, and it's a bit above your budget; however it really is worth a look because it is a relatively new model of car; the only issue is the only 86 I would consider (myself) is a manual, which will be more difficult to sell after

- if you are going to a 2013 close to full price car new or close to new, I'd lean towards the Volvo because it is a 2013/14 model; the Roc is getting past it's mid life as it really is a 2009 model for Thailand - this means in late 2014 or early 2015 it is foreseeable the Roc would be superceded by a new Roc based on the GTI mk7/MQB platform, and with stablemates the Audi TT coming in 2014 (supposedly) - financially it may also be that the Volvo holds its value slightly better as a result 5 years from now for the same reason

- if you are getting ex demo around early 2012 type model or even earlier, and at the right price, then lean towards the Roc

- if you plan to do a lot of mods, then lean towards the Rocco because as it stands now the Volvo parts are not around to fiddle with; also there are some options to buy some of the performance parts cheaper now than what they were selling before as the car reaches its midlife

Just a couple of thing from my POV:

1) The way to make the 86 get sideways easy it to not mess with it - those skinny tires it comes with are by design :) but almost every one I've see the owner has changed the tires and now thinks it's underpowered, or not all it's cracked up to be ;)

2) MT is outselling AT in the 86 range - so no reason to suspect MT will have less resale value or difficulty to move - in fact maybe the other way around. it's a niche car, for niche buyers :)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf GTI,

Toyota GT 86,

vw scirocco

BMW 1 series-with turbo

basically anything light and turbocharged will be fun!

++++

If you are interested to modify your car with flash tuning from Germany it is available (my friends own a place plus there is various others)

y

For what it is worth, I have thought a bit about your situation, TransRepus, and I would point out the following:
- if you want a car with the practicality of a 4 door/hatch, then really the choice between a Scirocco and the V40 is the right one
- if you want to start driving in formula drift :-), then the GT86 is a nice car, but it will require mods out of the box to get it to let go easily, and it's a bit above your budget; however it really is worth a look because it is a relatively new model of car; the only issue is the only 86 I would consider (myself) is a manual, which will be more difficult to sell after
- if you are going to a 2013 close to full price car new or close to new, I'd lean towards the Volvo because it is a 2013/14 model; the Roc is getting past it's mid life as it really is a 2009 model for Thailand - this means in late 2014 or early 2015 it is foreseeable the Roc would be superceded by a new Roc based on the GTI mk7/MQB platform, and with stablemates the Audi TT coming in 2014 (supposedly) - financially it may also be that the Volvo holds its value slightly better as a result 5 years from now for the same reason
- if you are getting ex demo around early 2012 type model or even earlier, and at the right price, then lean towards the Roc
- if you plan to do a lot of mods, then lean towards the Rocco because as it stands now the Volvo parts are not around to fiddle with; also there are some options to buy some of the performance parts cheaper now than what they were selling before as the car reaches its midlife

Very nice of you Steve ;-)

Yes, i want practical car, but fun goes first. Drifting, nae, maybe not. But i think it is a funier car than both Roc and V40. But i haven't driven any of them yet.

All the Toyotas i have found here are AT. But people who tunes the GT says if you can live with an AT, it stands higher torques than MT does so you can push the engine higher :-) I can find brand new 2013 for 2.1Mb full option but no large wing an the back, but i think they are grey imports. Not sure how a gray import would depreciation against a Toyota import. Whould you stay away from a grey import Toyota? And why?

Played around with Thanacharts bluebook and found out that a Volvo V40S T5 drops 550 000 baht when leaving the showroom. Same for a Roc is 400 000b and 350 000b for a BMW 328I Sport. The 328 then only drops 100 000 the second year.

The new Golf MK7 looks great, but over my budget.

My brain says Scirocco
My hart says GT86

My vallet says V40S

My ego says BMW 328 or a second hand Porsche 996 ;-)

Just came across this post and its exactly which dilemma I also have.

Having a Fortuner and Vios for the missus already, its time for a nice (quick) toy. Been to the BMW and Benz dealer, first considered a CLA250AMG but then the waiting time put me off. Considering now a 2nd hand TT,SLK 200 R171 roadster not older then 3 years convertible with a hardtop. Personally i dont have anything with VW in Thailand, its not a premium brand and not really fun to drive imo. You see them all the time in Europe, most of them are lease-cars. Unfortunately Audi doesnt have any servicepoint in the Chonburi and Pattaya area.

What about the BMW 328, will it deliver a lot more power then the SLK?

Btw, with not having a Audi dealership around wouldnt there be a universal car mechanic company around Pattaya or Chonburi to also service Audi cars?

If so, the TT would be on top of my list as it isnt a 2 seater but can manage to sit ''4'' people in the car and its just a really nice and quick car.

Edited by juliusk

Having a Fortuner and Vios for the missus already, its time for a nice (quick) toy. Been to the BMW and Benz dealer, first considered a CLA250AMG but then the waiting time put me off. Considering now a 2nd hand TT,SLK 200 R171 roadster not older then 3 years convertible with a hardtop. Personally i dont have anything with VW in Thailand, its not a premium brand and not really fun to drive imo. You see them all the time in Europe, most of them are lease-cars. Unfortunately Audi doesnt have any servicepoint in the Chonburi and Pattaya area.

Btw, with not having a Audi dealership around wouldnt there be a universal car mechanic company around Pattaya or Chonburi to also service Audi cars?

If so, the TT would be on top of my list as it isnt a 2 seater but can manage to sit ''4'' people in the car and its just a really nice and quick car.

SLK 200 R171 roadster looks really good. But do you really want to have open car in this hot climate? I have had convertibles in Europe and i have to say i loved them. But here, no it is too hot here. But i have to say that it looks really good..... I might change my mind about an open car here ;-) How well can one tune the engine power on this compressor?

Edited by TramsRepus

SLK 200 R171 roadster looks really good. But do you really want to have open car in this hot climate? I have had convertibles in Europe and i have to say i loved them. But here, no it is too hot here. But i have to say that it looks really good..... I might change my mind about an open car here ;-) How well can one tune the engine power on this compressor?

What i believe the good thing about a open car like this in Thailand is to have a hard-top cover so its looks like a sportscar which can also be a convertible. Ideal combination imo only downside is the fact you can only have 2 persons in the car. However if you have a bigger car at the side its still good enough :)

Mini Cooper. A new Mini One lists for less than 2M.

There is a world of difference between a Cooper/One and a Cooper S, The Cooper/One is around 120HP or less, the Cooper S is around 170-210 depending on the variant and model; the weight is the same so this is the difference between a Ford Fiesta/Mazda 2 type shopping basket....and (at the top end of that range) a decent performance car. The handling without the extra horsepower is still good, but it is just way, way too slow to be considered a fun car without the supercharger/turbo.

Also, the supercharger or turbo it is easy to get an extra 30 HP out just by changing the ECU, exhaust, air intake and the ratio of the supercharger (via the pulley system). No idea how you would get any significant gain out of the normally aspirated motor short of fitting a turbo or supercharger on it.

@Julius main issue with the Audi is they are almost all grey market, and the model is about to be replaced. If you are buying 2nd hand, then not so much of a problem, although practically the Scirocco is the same car (as the TT 2.0 TSI) with supposedly slightly better handling and a more practical layout; there are plenty of VW garages able to service Audis and VWs in Bangkok (there may well be upcountry but I don't know this brand so well).

Just been informed the BMW 116i has a performance upgrade available from AC Schnitzer taking the power to 200bhp. The engine is just a detuned 118i but since it is a turbo it is capable of a lot more performance.

Worthy of consideration IMO.

I am looking seriously at the Volvo V40 T5 and the 116i at the moment.

If I can get 200bhp with a piggyback from the beemer then I might be making a purchase imminently...

Erm I don't know where you got the info regarding it being a detuned 1.8 but with German makes the last 2 numbers typically designate the engine displacement therefore a 116I is not a 1.8 but rather a legitimate 1.6 which is what BMW is using in their WTCC cars as all cars in that series have had to run since last year in turbo charged form..

Erm I don't know where you got the info regarding it being a detuned 1.8 but with German makes the last 2 numbers typically designate the engine displacement therefore a 116I is not a 1.8 but rather a legitimate 1.6 which is what BMW is using in their WTCC cars as all cars in that series have had to run since last year in turbo charged form..

It is correct that the 114i, 116i and 118i use all the twin scroll turbo charged 1.6 liter engine, which is a variety of the so called Prince engine (from the MINI Cooper S). It is just tuned differently, so theoretically nothing stands against tuning a 116i to performance up to and over the stated standard figures of a 118i.

Before (in the good old days, both Benz and BMW used to describe their engines in their model names), but this has not been the case in the past several years.

The BMW 328i for example is still a 2.0 liter engine.

The newest 535i is a 3.0 liter engine, not a 3.5 and this goes on....so screw them for confusing us!!!

Anyway a 116i tuned to 200hp is certainly a decent enough option to be mentioned here....rear wheel drive and BMW driving dynamics.

Design wise it does not really wow me....but then the other candidates probably not as well.

Not sure, but pricing were down in BMW Thailand website, but I saw somewhere it is 1.99m, plus not sure how much for the performance kit, probably another 100,000 as Schnitzer is expensive. Will it cancel the warranty? In Germany and UK it does not, but not sure here.

It is correct that the 114i, 116i and 118i use all the twin scroll turbo charged 1.6 liter engine, which is a variety of the so called Prince engine (from the MINI Cooper S). It is just tuned differently, so theoretically nothing stands against tuning a 116i to performance up to and over the stated standard figures of a 118i.

Before (in the good old days, both Benz and BMW used to describe their engines in their model names), but this has not been the case in the past several years.

The newest 535i is a 3.0 liter engine, not a 3.5 and this goes on....so screw them for confusing us!!!

Anyway a 116i tuned to 200hp is certainly a decent enough option to be mentioned here....rear wheel drive and BMW driving dynamics.

Design wise it does not really wow me....but then the other candidates probably not as well.

Not sure, but pricing were down in BMW Thailand website, but I saw somewhere it is 1.99m, plus not sure how much for the performance kit, probably another 100,000 as Schnitzer is expensive. Will it cancel the warranty? In Germany and UK it does not, but not sure here.

I am personally more of a fan of the 328i then a 1 serie, similar feeling I have with a Scirocco, its such a common car back in Europe that it isnt anything special. The Z4 roadster is also on my list but I like the looks of the SLK200 a bit more. Did the OP already choose his ''fun'' car? I am still considering too many options but am planning a trip to BKK to check out on some premium 2nd hand car dealers. With the BSI and the Benz warranty its still good to go for a 2nd hand car which is about 2 to 3 years old. Dont know about Audi tho...

That is the million dollar question.

I am awaiting some other answers about the 1er from the dealership. B1.99m gets you the M Sport package which is pretty lush, and you are correct the piggyback from Schnitzer will run you another 100,000thb or so. I am hunting for some other piggyback options at the moment, will post back if I find any.

I have asked if paddle shifters are an option, and larger 18" or 19" rims and also the Nevada leather interior as the demo car only had the cloth trim.

That is the million dollar question.

I am awaiting some other answers about the 1er from the dealership. B1.99m gets you the M Sport package which is pretty lush, and you are correct the piggyback from Schnitzer will run you another 100,000thb or so. I am hunting for some other piggyback options at the moment, will post back if I find any.

I have asked if paddle shifters are an option, and larger 18" or 19" rims and also the Nevada leather interior as the demo car only had the cloth trim.

Great, please keep us posted, definitely interesting. I guess as usual no 'manual' version available.....why oh why don't they give us a little bit of choice here. No need to answer this....Thais 'in general' don't like manuals...(well in BKK i wouldn't either), but anywhere else, give me a manual any day over an auto, DSG, etc.

So for me it would go like this: Fun car with 200-plus hp, manual for new around 2m! Any options....Nada!!! oh yes and 4 seats....as I have a 2 seat option in my Mini.

Someone mentioned the 328i, which of course is nice, but also going rather high on the 2m plus mark.

I am personally more of a fan of the 328i then a 1 serie, similar feeling I have with a Scirocco, its such a common car back in Europe that it isnt anything special. The Z4 roadster is also on my list but I like the looks of the SLK200 a bit more. Did the OP already choose his ''fun'' car? I am still considering too many options but am planning a trip to BKK to check out on some premium 2nd hand car dealers. With the BSI and the Benz warranty its still good to go for a 2nd hand car which is about 2 to 3 years old. Dont know about Audi tho...

Not yet, the more i read the more confused i get. Im looking around for a few years old low mileage BMW330 as second hand option. I still like the Volvo V40 and cant forget it. It is V40 against all other options including everything from few month old 2013 models of Scirocco and GT86 to a few year old Nissan Z370, SLK350, BMW330 or very old Porches 996...or again the Volvo V40 facepalm.gif

Gonna make the choice a bit more difficult for you, I visited the BMW dealer in Chonburi yesterday and i spotted the Z4 inthere with a hardtop, 184 HP and quite a light car as well. Its a very nice car but a bit pricey same with the 328i, its 3.9M with the M sport package...

AC Schnitzer in Thailand is part of the Millenium empire, so you might stand a chance of keeping BSI, however, I am skeptical of the numbers that suggest you can easily just ramp the motor up to 200HP on the fuel options here in Thailand as opposed to 98 octane petrol. And according to ACS they are VERY specific you need the higher octane rating for this tune.http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763707&page=2

Also, in the past getting AC Schnitzer to provide the full range of services here locally could be tricky (they only provide some of the range of products) - I do not know if they provide this part or not. Again, could be down to the fuel.

Certainly the Prince engine in the Mini it's not so difficult to get the JCW variants up to those sorts of numbers.

Still seems a bit slow for some reason, apparently (according to a few links) the 116 is quite a tricky car to launch whereas the Scirocco and the Golf have the launch control system if you like doing drags. Seems to lose quite a bit from the flywheel to the road, and maybe the weight isn't helping as much as with the Mini given that it is around 150kg heavier than a Mini for much the same power.

http://preisliste.ac-schnitzer.de/acs_kpl/preisliste_ausgabe_motor_daten_engl.php?Modell=1er-F20/F21&Teile_Nr=110082380&ID_NR=10076

Always liked the look of the 1 series, but without starting with a 125 or a 135 then it's all a bit of fiddling around with a car that seems to be always destined to be a bit slow. Review doesn't seem so positive either

http://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/news_attachements/ac-schnitzer-bmw-116i-short-test-by-auto-bild-71227.pdf

328 with the right kit can certainly turn a few heads, nice looking machine; that said I'd wait for the new to market 4 series (or possibly the 2 series if they make it here) both hopefully arriving very very soon as the current 3 has been around a year++ and it always gets a bit diluted with all the 320s and other low grade variants of the same body shape.

FWIW Frank and I both went through this exercise before...and we both ended up with Minis, his one a BEAST (the GP) mine just a worked Cooper S - original shape first generation. Still a dream to drive. Now (I think) we both also have 2nd cars as well for 'the missuses' (1 missus each, not multiple missuses each, just to be clear).

Edited by steveromagnino

Gonna make the choice a bit more difficult for you, I visited the BMW dealer in Chonburi yesterday and i spotted the Z4 inthere with a hardtop, 184 HP and quite a light car as well. Its a very nice car but a bit pricey same with the 328i, its 3.9M with the M sport package...

If 4mil I would go for the BMW 3 hybrid with 340hp, but it is not going to happen.

http://www.headlightmag.com/webboard2011/index.php/topic,33367.0.html

This forum is in Thai and they are discussing the AC Schnitzer upgrade, quoting a price of 134,000thb... anyone care to translate?

I am not so bothered about straight line performance as the ride quality and premium feel of the car more than make up for that. I suspect even with lower octane hp gains with the Schnitzer upgrade will be significant.

I have read and watched several reviews nearly all of them are positive as were my first impressions in the showroom and on the road. I am having one more test drive if they can answer my questions about upgrades. So far no response from Millenium Auto.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The 328i is B3.3m which puts it in another league cost wise. It is certainly a nice machine. The 320d they had in the showroom was a beautiful black w/ black interior with red stitching.

The 320i with a tune will do 0-100kmh sub 7 seconds if you can afford the B2.9m price tag. 328i sub 6 seconds.

If the 2er and 4er coupes make it here I would be very surprised to see them anywhere near the price of the already over-priced Thai assembled models.

AC Schnitzer in Thailand is part of the Millenium empire, so you might stand a chance of keeping BSI, however, I am skeptical of the numbers that suggest you can easily just ramp the motor up to 200HP on the fuel options here in Thailand as opposed to 98 octane petrol. And according to ACS they are VERY specific you need the higher octane rating for this tune.http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763707&page=2

Also, in the past getting AC Schnitzer to provide the full range of services here locally could be tricky (they only provide some of the range of products) - I do not know if they provide this part or not. Again, could be down to the fuel.

Certainly the Prince engine in the Mini it's not so difficult to get the JCW variants up to those sorts of numbers.

Still seems a bit slow for some reason, apparently (according to a few links) the 116 is quite a tricky car to launch whereas the Scirocco and the Golf have the launch control system if you like doing drags. Seems to lose quite a bit from the flywheel to the road, and maybe the weight isn't helping as much as with the Mini given that it is around 150kg heavier than a Mini for much the same power.

http://preisliste.ac-schnitzer.de/acs_kpl/preisliste_ausgabe_motor_daten_engl.php?Modell=1er-F20/F21&Teile_Nr=110082380&ID_NR=10076

Always liked the look of the 1 series, but without starting with a 125 or a 135 then it's all a bit of fiddling around with a car that seems to be always destined to be a bit slow. Review doesn't seem so positive either

http://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/news_attachements/ac-schnitzer-bmw-116i-short-test-by-auto-bild-71227.pdf

328 with the right kit can certainly turn a few heads, nice looking machine; that said I'd wait for the new to market 4 series (or possibly the 2 series if they make it here) both hopefully arriving very very soon as the current 3 has been around a year++ and it always gets a bit diluted with all the 320s and other low grade variants of the same body shape.

FWIW Frank and I both went through this exercise before...and we both ended up with Minis, his one a BEAST (the GP) mine just a worked Cooper S - original shape first generation. Still a dream to drive. Now (I think) we both also have 2nd cars as well for 'the missuses' (1 missus each, not multiple missuses each, just to be clear).

yeah, we did and in a way still do. The GP is my Weekend 'fun' toy....and for daily driving I have a GOLF GTI. As mentioned, the GTI would probably my favourite car if it would be a manual! It has heaps of power, still comfy on longer journeys, very nice interior, great seats, etc. but the DSG just isn't for me....oh yes, I do know you can operate it manually, yet it is not the same feeling by a long mile.

My wife (yes only 1) drives a 7 years old Nissan Xtrail and still loves it....., even me nagging on about her to get a new car, nothing with 4WD really of interest. She likes the square form of it (and me too actually). in those 7 years it has never let her down, nor did it have any unscheduled garage visits and still looks great interior wise. Was waiting for the Mazda CX5, but she does not like the round shape and it is far smaller than her Xtrail, especially the boot.

For what it is worth, I would not go with a 3-6 year old second hand car, especially Porsche, etc. They will just be rather expensive to maintain (I would think).

Close it down to new and drop the GT86 (for the price, just not powerful enough IMO).

No way s5 for 1.9m, thats 2million baht cheaper than a regular A5!.

For german cars if anyone is interested in tuning a mate of mine has a fine establishment using flash tunes direct from germany...the tuner himself does gt3 cars that compete in germany. Along with that they specalize in tuning sls, black series and so forth. I did my a5 stage 2 tune mated with exhaust and k&n filter added about 85-100hp and 130nm of torque.