Naive or expecting too much ?

CharlieH

As a newbie I'd just thought give my 10 pence worth.

Firstly I've not ready every part of the thread but I'd agree with the op, but this is a common thing on all online forums. Every single one I'm a member of all have members that are holier than thou who enjoy belittling people who might not have the best English or sometimes the best education.

I used to say something but as I get older I really just feel sorry for them.

P.s tthanks to all that post some very useful information!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone want to discuss it or add your own perspective?

Imagine you are in a room full of several hundred strangers with differing opinions.knowledge, lives and experiences to your own only in cyberspace. Would you expect them to all be shiny happy people were it in real life.

there are a lot of these sort of posts nowadays.....

May I ask what exactly you expected? I find it more bizarre that people even need to ask things like this....

Bizarre to expect a little common courtesy or mutual respect, or putting it bluntly "Civilized" ! to one another.

Yeah you are probably right I am asking or expecting too much ! but it doesnt hurt to try does it.

Hi Charlie, that's a good topic.

Personally i find this Forum to be very well moderated... And we have a " report button " if things get nasty.

Of course we can expect younger ( or intoxicated ) members to go over the top sometimes, but in the end, it's just some extra spice in the soup....

...And we, highly civilized folks can feel superior w00t.gif

Oh I know I'm going to regret this, but its 5am, ain't had any coffee yet, but what the heck. I think the point is generally correct, a lot, not all, of the contributors to this forum seem to rejoice in ridicule. Reasoned argument and discussion is fine, but way too often does the conversation descend into spelling and grammar, ridicule, and not to mention the endless death spirals into bar girl hatred. There was a recent post on the Pattaya forum where a lady was truly distressed that she had lost her cat. I couldn't believe the insensitivity, and just downright stupidity of some of the posts. Good job for the moderator who removed them BTW. But I guess my point is, are some of these guys lives so hollow that somehow they only get pleasure from ridicule or as in the cat case, just outright hurtful stuff. If thats the case maybe I should just feel pity for them, rather than the disgust I often do

• Like 1

The OP only yesterday ridiculed my good self for my inability to read a sentence/question correctly,in fact he ridiculed the OP of the topic & pulled apart a simple question that everyone else understood, however it was worded .Funny that!

Btw the topic was something about putting a gun to your head & pulling the trigger...Is that irony?

My opinion is that the some of the ones who spit the most venom (usually in the Thai news section) have issues in their lives that they're incapable of dealing with. Failed business in Thailand because they though it would be easy despite have absolutely no business acumen, failed relationship in Thailand with a person you wouldn't touch with a bargepole, in a relationship with a person they have absolutely nothing in common with, got stung by somebody because they were to dense to read the warning signals, jealous of people who they consider more successful ( usually this means richer) than them, etc. Because they can't face up to their own self-inflicted mess they have to shoot the mental bile building inside them in other directions and TVF is the place to go.

• Like 2

Oh I know I'm going to regret this, but its 5am, ain't had any coffee yet, but what the heck. I think the point is generally correct, a lot, not all, of the contributors to this forum seem to rejoice in ridicule. Reasoned argument and discussion is fine, but way too often does the conversation descend into spelling and grammar, ridicule, and not to mention the endless death spirals into bar girl hatred. There was a recent post on the Pattaya forum where a lady was truly distressed that she had lost her cat. I couldn't believe the insensitivity, and just downright stupidity of some of the posts. Good job for the moderator who removed them BTW. But I guess my point is, are some of these guys lives so hollow that somehow they only get pleasure from ridicule or as in the cat case, just outright hurtful stuff. If thats the case maybe I should just feel pity for them, rather than the disgust I often do

Live is about being in balance. "Pity" it will be from now on.

• Like 1

My opinion is that the some of the ones who spit the most venom (usually in the Thai news section) have issues in their lives that they're incapable of dealing with. Failed business in Thailand because they though it would be easy despite have absolutely no business acumen, failed relationship in Thailand with a person you wouldn't touch with a bargepole, in a relationship with a person they have absolutely nothing in common with, got stung by somebody because they were to dense to read the warning signals, jealous of people who they consider more successful ( usually this means richer) than them, etc. Because they can't face up to their own self-inflicted mess they have to shoot the mental bile building inside them in other directions and TVF is the place to go.

A very good and reasonably true comment. You have been there ?

It takes great willpower not to point out their improper usage of there, they're and their, among many others. It's difficult to take someone seriously when discussing something complex or deep, when they can't spell or use decent grammar.

No, I'm not talking about ESLers.

It takes great willpower not to point out their improper usage of there, they're and their, among many others. It's difficult to take someone seriously when discussing something complex or deep, when they can't spell or use decent grammar.

You can't even spell ye name right so don't start .

I can get passionate and offend or bait people it happens depending the subject. Its just part of a forum and it can be ignored. Also please do remember its so easy to go into extremes on a forum in person this would not happen.

It is also hard to coney feelings just by writing so things could go wrong, i hope you keep on posting don't let it get to you.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I like the name - just wish I knew how to pronounce it properly........smile.png

What ya'all neeed is a sserious sitdown with the spelling clerks that corrected the great authors at the publishing firms before spell check was invented. Many small minds are great spellers and vice versa.

Vice Versa is a Latin phrase meaning, "the other way around." It is also a type of chocolate and a lesbian magazine. Now be honest did you know about the chocolate or lesbian thing?

There are a large group who take delight in ridiculing. This very point makes me more reluctant to post anything.

Most of the posts I make are (IMHO) either informative or a reply to the OP question.

Try being tolerant, words are water off a duck's back and that is the only way to see it!

I like the name - just wish I knew how to pronounce it properly........smile.png

HI-JOE-SHEEN

I can get passionate and offend or bait people it happens depending the subject. Its just part of a forum and it can be ignored. Also please do remember its so easy to go into extremes on a forum in person this would not happen.

It is also hard to coney feelings just by writing so things could go wrong, i hope you keep on posting don't let it get to you.

I think you are being overly kind to some posters - and a little harsh on yourself. I agree that if you want to post in the more general forums you have to be able to ignore/shrug off baiting and vitriolic posts when they happen.

However I cannot see any justification when people inject a couple of lines into a discussion to take a pop at someone's comment in a derogatory way. This is often at a complete tangent and is either completely unnecessary (baiting) or a cheap way to get the post count up.

I know it is difficult for the mods but sometimes I do wish some of these comments were taken down more often. - but I appreciate we do not live in an ideal world.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Geronimo thumbsup.gif

HI-JOE-SHEEN

Thanks

The OP only yesterday ridiculed my good self for my inability to read a sentence/question correctly,in fact he ridiculed the OP of the topic & pulled apart a simple question that everyone else understood, however it was worded .Funny that!

Btw the topic was something about putting a gun to your head & pulling the trigger...Is that irony?

That was my topic and most failed to understand why I posted it. I wanted to know how much money one would require to take the gamble.

(I even gave my figure (200k U$)

It seems that topic was removed. Why?

When I first started living here I used to go to expat pubs (such as there was back then) to learn the ropes of life here. It didn't take me long to realise that 80% of what I heard there was <deleted>. often from some pretty screwed up characters so I stopped going and began to find things out for myself .....it's really that easy......If you find this forum too cynical for you and that for a fair number of members here, the rose tinted spectacles have long since fallen off....then go and find out for yourself

• Like 1

Anyone want to discuss it or add your own perspective?

Imagine you are in a room full of several hundred strangers with differing opinions.knowledge, lives and experiences to your own only in cyberspace. Would you expect them to all be shiny happy people were it in real life.

there are a lot of these sort of posts nowadays.....

May I ask what exactly you expected? I find it more bizarre that people even need to ask things like this....

Bizarre to expect a little common courtesy or mutual respect, or putting it bluntly "Civilized" ! to one another.

Yeah you are probably right I am asking or expecting too much ! but it doesnt hurt to try does it.

Well were the OP to walk into this hypothetical room of strangers and address them in a manner in the timbre of his post here as though he deserves a civil response then I'd suggest he may not meet with total courtesy....

• Like 1

When I first started living here I used to go to expat pubs (such as there was back then) to learn the ropes of life here. It didn't take me long to realise that 80% of what I heard there was <deleted>. often from some pretty screwed up characters so I stopped going and began to find things out for myself .....it's really that easy......If you find this forum too cynical for you and that for a fair number of members here, the rose tinted spectacles have long since fallen off....then go and find out for yourself 

I have become more cynical too bad that its often so true, but on the other hand i don't want to become like one Dutch expat i met. He was racist against all thai males and thailand, nothing was good. I told him i did not want to be around him as he was way over the top.

Other reason ppl are negative here is because negative things stick and usually make you write that first post, negative attracts negative and so on.

I must say i love it here but those tinted spectacles have long gone, you can see the difference between long and short timers here. I am perfectly happy with my life so its not that. Right now im at gillhams fishing resort with my father brother and mom and gf's cant be better.

Just changed my bait and hope for a nice carp or a huge mekong even a red tail is good.

but on the other hand i don't want to become like one Dutch expat i met. He was racist against all thai males and thailand, nothing was good. I told him i did not want to be around him as he was way over the top.

A classic stage of Culture Shock

Right now im at gillhams fishing resort

Lucky beggar....not flicked the baited hook for a few weeks now.....

If you want total negativity, every day, all the time, 24/7, just visit the Thailand News forum. The lowlifes that hang out there have nothing else better to do than to find reasons to criticize the Thais. Rather pathetic. By comparison, the General forum is rather mild and civilized.

• Like 1